As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help me keep track of the sandbox games

emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Games and Technology
I love a good sandbox game. They're usually satisfying and let you play around with whatever at your own pace. But there are just so many of them floating around out there ... it doesn't help when almost all reviewers list these games' genre as Adventure. Help me figure out how many of these suckers there are on the market - maybe I can find some I haven't even heard of yet.

A sandbox game is a really loose definition but basically they start off with vast environments with emphasis on exploration and freedom. All areas are linked but, unlike games with hubs and levels, you can revisit all major areas as much as you like. There are plenty of neutral NPCs wandering around mixed in with hostile targets. These NPCs have their own routines for behavior which you can interrupt if you want to. They'll react to you, too. They'll go about their business if you leave them alone but they can turn hostile if you provoke a situation. Sandbox games are nonlinear and have their stories told through missions and side missions but they're optional. Completing missions gives you some RPG Lite-type rewards (upgrades, information, etc.) and little else - basically better gear to play with in the sandbox.

It's a broad definition so games like Shenmue, Gothic, and certain Tony Hawk games could be considered sandbox games even though they're labeled as 'RPG' or 'Extreme Sports'. One example I'll submit is Destroy All Humans, a sandbox game with smallish areas but a fun telekinetic power to play around with. The sequel featured hippies and far too many jokes about bongs but it, too, was free roaming and fun.

Others?

emnmnme on

• Options
    edited March 2007
    Mafia is another one. The PC version is the only good version, or so I hear.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    AlpineAlpine Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Fable lol

But seriously

Crackdown
    Saint's Row
    Grand Theft Auto
    Viva Pinata
    Shenmue
    True Crime
    No More Heroes
    LittleBigWorld

The last two being pretty hyped games for the Wii and the PS3 respectively, coming out later.

Alpine on
  • Options
    BitstreamBitstream Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Chibi-Robo, baby. Totally underrated.

Bitstream on
  • Options
    Spectral SwallowSpectral Swallow Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The Spider-man games were. Good stuff. Nothing like zooming through new york at a couple hundred miles an hour. Though I'd wait for part 3 as it should be out within a few months.

Spectral Swallow on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The Spider-man games were. Good stuff. Nothing like zooming through new york at a couple hundred miles an hour. Though I'd wait for part 3 as it should be out within a few months.

Also, for a similarly awesome game, The Incredible Hulk:Ultimate Destruction.

Mercanaries was wicked to, and a sequal is on the way (PC/360/PS3/PS2 iirc)

LewieP on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Steambot Chronicles was a pretty popular one, I think.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Superman Returns was a sandbox game, too, right?

I'd also add the latest Postal game but I didn't play it, either.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Superman Returns: The Game
    I followed suit.

Srsly? Hulks ultimate destruction is a REALLY good one.

it took me months to get tired of summoning hulkbusters, grabbing them by the face, suplexing them, and then powering up and throwing them into the sun.
    Dont even get me started on catching missiles fired at me.

Mighty on
    Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Well, to me the Arena Scroll series of RPGs would certainly qualify.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    Aaron LeeAaron Lee Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Nice thread. I love sandbox games, and I'm always curious about what good ones there are. Steambot Chronicles has intrigued me. How free roaming are the Spider-Man and Hulk games? Are they actually good? I love comic themes, so running around and doing super-heroey stuff non mission related would rock my world.

Aaron Lee on
  • Options
    Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Aaron Lee wrote: »
    Nice thread. I love sandbox games, and I'm always curious about what good ones there are. Steambot Chronicles has intrigued me. How free roaming are the Spider-Man and Hulk games? Are they actually good? I love comic themes, so running around and doing super-heroey stuff non mission related would rock my world.

I haven't actually played the Hulk one, but whenever people mention it they always do so in a positive light.

Mace1370 on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Dungeon Keeper 2 had a very specific sandbox mode.

august on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

In Ultimate Spider-man you can't go everywhere at the start, but it is overall a better game(graphics and gameplay wise) though the whole 'being a hero' thing is really downplayed in the sandbox mode of both games, usually consisting of:
    Beat up a bunch of bad guys.
    Get random person to hospital.
    Stop car chase
    Get balloon

Still though, each game is an 'action packed thrill ride'. But part 3, I imagine, will blow both of those away.

Spectral Swallow on
  • Options
    LaterationLateration Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Gmod 10.

Lateration on
  • Options
    eryu90eryu90 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Mace1370 wrote: »

I haven't actually played the Hulk one, but whenever people mention it they always do so in a positive light.

It's because you can be a jerk and punch a civillian clear across the city if you wanted too.

eryu90 on
  • Options
    NibbleNibble Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The Sim games
    Civilization
    Alpha Centauri
    Black & White
    Ultima 7

Nibble on
    sig.php?id=178
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Hulk: Ultimate Destruction is definitely the most entertaining of the type of sandbox games that you seem to be looking for. (That's Ultimate Destruction, not the boring movie tie-in that was just called "The Hulk".) Spider-Man 2 is really at its most fun when you're web-swinging - once you get sick of piledriving burglars from the top of the Empire State Building, there's not much else interesting to the game.

If you're including actual RPGs, the old-school Ultimas (4-7, especially 6 & 7) were very sandboxy: little to no distinction between exploring towns, dungeons, and overland travel; no missions, levels, or hubs; NPCs with routines and personalities whose lives you could fuck around with; and a large world to explore from almost the very beginning of the game.

gtrmp on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    eryu90 wrote: »

It's because you can be a jerk and punch a cow clear across the city if you wanted too.

Fixed for truth (and hilarity).

gtrmp on
  • Options
    MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    gtrmp wrote: »
    eryu90 wrote: »

It's because you can be a jerk and punch a cow clear across the city if you wanted too.

Fixed for truth (and hilarity).
    It's true, some other fun things to do are

1) grab a civilian
    2) set them down elesewhere - hulk pets them (haha)

do #1
    2) press punch - hulk "flicks" them (HAHA)

3) play the many minigames. like the one where you golf. or the "swing the bat and see how far they go" game.

Mighty on
    Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • Options
    JebralJebral The guy nobody pays attention to Down South in the land of free thinkingRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'd actually recommend that people stay away from Ultimate Spiderman in favor of Spiderman 2 (oh, how I wish it were BC!). US really nerfed the swinging and the fighting system (which wasn't really all that great, but at least there was some variety).... I mean, I'll never understand why the took the most successful aspect of Spiderman 2, and made it worse.

I really hope Spiderman 3 delivers.

Jebral on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Jebral wrote: »
    I'd actually recommend that people stay away from Ultimate Spiderman in favor of Spiderman 2 (oh, how I wish it were BC!). US really nerfed the swinging and the fighting system (which wasn't really all that great, but at least there was some variety).... I mean, I'll never understand why the took the most successful aspect of Spiderman 2, and made it worse.

I liked the swinging and stuff in Ultimate far more, the double jump was great, and web zip for scaling the buildings in a hurry was good stuff too.

Of course I didn't much care for the Venom segments either. You figure 'Hey playing as venom, this is going to kick ass' and then it doesn't. It just sucks ass. I mean seriously jumping around? They may as well have had him driving a truck.

Spectral Swallow on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I think I'll look into getting this Hulk game. Hopefully one of the game shops will have a used copy relatively affordable. I checked half.com, but the PS2 version is selling around $15-20 while the x-box version is going for like $5-10. If I had an x-box, that would be a good thing.

Aaron Lee on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

LewieP on
  • Options
    cherv1cherv1 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Another vote for Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction from me. Again, make sure not to get the shitty Ang Lee movie version.

It does have its flaws, some of the hulks moves have their own animations which go into in-engine cutscene mode for a few seconds, while the action still continues which can be a bit annoying. And on the GC version, the controls take a bit of getting used to. But it's ridiculously fun. Kinda like GTA except less bloody and whorey, in that you're in a massive city and can either go round just smashing things, or do missions. But I'm not GTA expert.

It's budget price now, I got it at Gamestation for £7.99

Also, I took down a helicopter. By throwing a cow at it. A COW.

cherv1 on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I think all the Grand Theft Auto games are sandbox. I haven't played the top-down ones...

Simpson's Hit and Run....the Driver games...

Also, keep an eye out for STALKER and Mercenaries 2. They look terrific in previews.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    cherv1 wrote: »
    Also, I took down a helicopter. By throwing a cow at it. A COW.

The only way that this gets any better is if you turn on the cheat code that turns missiles into exploding cows.

gtrmp on
  • Options
    EtchEtch Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Of course I didn't much care for the Venom segments either. You figure 'Hey playing as venom, this is going to kick ass' and then it doesn't. It just sucks ass. I mean seriously jumping around? They may as well have had him driving a truck.

HONK HONK HONK HONK

Etch on
  • Options
    Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Lateration wrote: »
    Gmod 10.

Paradox Control on
    \
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I'm not having much luck getting a hold of a cheap copy of the Hulk. I've realized that EB/Gamestop pisses me off with their used prices. Who the hell is going to pay $17.99 for a used copy of the game that doesn't even include the case and manual? Eff that.

I hoped Circuit City would have a copy in their cheap bin (which I did find a copy of Beyond Good and Evil for $14), but no such luck. Look's like it's back to half.com.

Aaron Lee on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yeah, while playing Crackdown I was getting flashbacks of Hulk. Except you know Hulk can throw that car

---OR---

Rip that car in half and use them as a set of boxing gloves.

---OR---

Use it as a surfboard down the street.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Hulk: Ultimate Destruction amused me far too much to be healthy, aside from a couple of frustrating missions.
    Do buy it.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    FireWeaselFireWeasel Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

I liked the swinging and stuff in Ultimate far more, the double jump was great, and web zip for scaling the buildings in a hurry was good stuff too.

I had Ultimate Spiderman Venom flashbacks when playing the Crackdown demo as a buffed-up, jump-happy dude.

And yet, Crackdown was fun. I don't get it.

FireWeasel on
    AC:CL Wii -- 3824-2125-9336 City: Felinito Me: Nick
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Looks like Amazon has the game relatively cheap. I'm saddened that half.com has let me down this time. I haven't ordered from amazon since I discovered half until now.

Aaron Lee on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Spider-man 2 kicked the arse out of Ultimate spider-man, they are like oppisite games.

S-M2 Lame plot US-M great plot
    S-M2 Massive city US-M Tiny City
    S-M2 Cool upgrade system US-M was there even one?
    S-M2 Bruce Cambell US-M no Bruce Cambell
    S-M2 WEB SWINGING THAT MADE SENSE US-M a retarded system that game no control to the user.

Seriously Webswinging was the thing that made spider-man 2 it was brilliant, wall running and just going straight up the side of the building wasn't done the best, but I love just tooling round Manhattan.

Blake T on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    While USM had a smaller city, it actually felt like a real city. It had different areas like sub-urbs. SM2 had the same skyscrapers everywhere.

Also, did anyone mention GUN yet? It's small, but there is some fun to be had in blowing off the body parts of people you already killed.

Lux on
  • Options
    BladeXBladeX Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'd agree with LewieP who mentioned Mercenaries. Lot's of fun!

BladeX on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I hate to revive an old(ish) thread, but this topic had inspired me to explore more of my PS2 options. Now that the PS2 is on the way out, a lot of these games are becoming affordable. So now I'm on my quest to grab all the good sandbox games I can. I already have all the GTA's, so I turned my attention to the super-heroes.

I netted a brand new copy of Spider-Man 2 for $14, and I have a bid going to nab Hulk: Ultimate Destruction sealed for $10 (hoping I win). I was going to go for Superman Returns, but I read reviews that said it was pretty bad. That's hard to screw up really, I mean just be Superman and fly anywhere in Metropolis and kick ass. Anyways, I'll skip that one.

Next on the list is Steambot Chronicles. I'm also curious about Mercenaries, is it fun? Anything else I'm missing that's worth getting. How are any of the GTA clones?

Aaron Lee on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Mercenaries is tons of fun. They drop you in a war zone, tell you where your target is, and let you go after him/her with tanks and grenades. No, really, if you play Mercenaries, ally yourself with the Chinese - you'll always have a spiffy tank waiting. Unstoppable tank rampages are a great way to relieve stress.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    BaronVonSnakPakBaronVonSnakPak Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    theres a new preview up on ign for the spider-man 3 game.

3 page article summary: its SM2, but deeper, prettier, and a shit ton bigger. symbiote spidey has a rage meter, not sure how i feel about that decision...

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    360 Gamertag: Baronskatenbass Steam: BaronVonSnakPak HgL: AnsonLuap
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    The article mentioned the city being 2.5 times larger than is SM2, but they didn't clarify if that would be true for all versions (PS2 and such). It seems that the past-gen version will be much the same with weaker graphics, so hopefully that's the case. I'm not the graphics whore I used to be, so I could stand for SM3 on PS2. I guess I'll just have to wait a couple years for the price to drop ;)

Aaron Lee on