As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

my 6 year old saw a comic shop. help.

MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
While driving my son to school today, he saw the local comic book shop. (we're temporarily displaced due "sandy") I was planning on taking him there eventually, but now the timeline has been moved up. Can anyone recommend some titles for a 6 year old? I'll be helping him read them/reading to him, but are there some geared towards early readers as well?

steam:maguano2
gamertag:Maguano71
Switch:SW-8428-8279-1687

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Does he know what this wonderful treasure is? Is he aware of the responsibility it entails? Is he independently wealthy and have lots of storage space for stacks of long boxes? CAN HE CONTROL HIMSELF?

I sure cant.. *sighs at boxes filling his closet*.

Try to find Xmen vs Avengers babies. or Adventure time comics to start with. Move slowly into the heavy stuff.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    You might have better luck checking the comic subforum, but there's a lot of good stuff out there for early age readers. The Marvel Adventures line specifically caters to that demographic and is a great place to start. It uses a lot of the silver age stories written by Stan Lee and several others and retells them with a modern setting so not only is it age appropriate but your kid will get the backstory as well when he gets older and wants to dive into the main universe stuff.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    Atomic Robo.

If he's a fan of Adventure Times, there's a comic book that seems to capture the spirit pretty well.

• Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    When I was 6 I bought my first spider-man and venom comics and never looked back.

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    Bone would probably be good. Says 9 and up, but I don't remember any content that would make it so. It got a bit dark, but its one of those grand epic tales.

http://www.amazon.com/Bone-Complete-Cartoon-Epic-Volume/dp/188896314X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352917381&sr=8-1&keywords=bone+comic

• Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    Is Axe Cop okay? I know it's written by a kid...

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Axe Cop would be good, I mean it's nothing that wouldn't be on a saturday morning cartoon

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    If they have any Marvel Adventures books, definitely get those. They are fantastic.

If he likes Adventure Time, there is an Adventure Time comic series right now that is really good too.

I might also recommend seeing if they have any Silver Age comics collections. Old Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, and Superman comics were my gateway when I was around that age.

• Options
    FantasmaFantasma Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Thor

There is also a famous Spanish comic (translated to English) called Mort & Phil, they are hillarious

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mort_&_Phil

Fantasma on
    Hear my warnings, unbelievers. We have raised altars in this land so that we may sacrifice you to our gods. There is no hope in opposing the inevitable. Put down your arms, unbelievers, and bow before the forces of Chaos!
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Bone would probably be good. Says 9 and up, but I don't remember any content that would make it so. It got a bit dark, but its one of those grand epic tales.

http://www.amazon.com/Bone-Complete-Cartoon-Epic-Volume/dp/188896314X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352917381&sr=8-1&keywords=bone+comic

Maybe the age 9 thing is based on vocabulary? Oh and there is some scary stuff (grim reaper-type villain, someone gets cut in half but no blood). I'd agree that for the most part, Bone is good for kids and a great story.

There's also always Calvin and Hobbes books.

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    I have a five-year-old who's been reading comics for a couple of years now; in Marvel/DC, Tiny Titans is in my experience the most kid-friendly mainstream continuity thing out there, it's actively aimed at younger kids. Mini Marvels a bit less so, but it's also pretty fun (if harder to find). Owly is good stuff that's non-big2, or a lot of the things published by Papercutz, the Geronimo Stilton comics, Lego graphic novels, a bunch of things.

You could also take a pre-emptive look in the store yourself -- my LCS has a "for kids" section already, and it'll let you know if there's any bits of the store that he should be steered away from for now.

Another good option could be your local library -- the ones around here have a "J GRAPHIX" section which is full of comics-for-kids that the library system has sorted out, and as other people have mentioned, the introductory reader section should have some good things. The old Carl Barks Donald Duck collections are pretty awesome as well, for what it's worth.

• Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    Oh!

Chris Giarrusso's work is also really good. He did a bunch of Mini-Marvel strips that are hilarious-not sure if they're collected or not, and he has his own series, G-Man that is also in the same vein.

• Options
    Oh, I also can't stress enough how awesome getting something like Sheldon by Dave Kellet or The Dreamland Chronicles by Scott Sava would be. You'd be supporting indie webcomic artists and getting awesome child friendly material.

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Ultimate Spiderman Trades.

• Options
    I would say thor as well but maybe older thor is more age appropriate...like the walt simpson run.

• Options
    edited November 2012
    Ultimate Spiderman Trades.

Ultimate Spiderman is NOT 6 year old friendly. I mean it's not Marvel MAX or anything, but there's quite a bit of bloodshed and death, adult situations, and pretty horrific looking monsters in that series, it's a PG-13 book.

edit: that sounded weird because I'm not the OP's six year old's parent, admittedly it's their call, and while the first book is relatively tame, here are some tidbits from the Ultimate Carnage saga.

1966710-carnage_vs_venom_super.jpg

1966709-carnage_gwen_stacy_super.jpg

Gwen-as-Carnage.jpg

amateurhour on
  • Options
    Yeah i was just about to say the same. it might be an awesome story, but not for a 6 year old.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    The GON mangas are really timeless, easy to understand, and completely wordless. Its a bit violent though, so maybe not perfect. There's also Astroboy, and Pokemon.

When I was a kid, I started on newspaper comics. Calvin and Hobbs, Garfield, and Peanuts. Peanuts is great, since it has all the movies and such to support the interest as well. Garfield is pretty bland but its easy to get and the old 90s cartoon was fun (Who knows if it holds up, though.)

• Options
    CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Depending on what cartoons/characters your son is currently "into", chances are you can find an all-ages comic book for him to enjoy. I know DC puts out kid-friendly versions of Batman, Justice League, Superman, along with Looney Toons (aka Bugs Bunny) and all-ages comics based on Cartoon Network properties. Disney also publishes comics based on Mickey Mouse gang and it's stable of properties. Someone also mentioned the Marvel Adventures book, and they are a good starting point as well. You can also find a plethora of "Learning to Read" books that are comic-specific.

<- Reference point: Father of 4-year-olds who want to be Batman when they grow up...

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    The old Carl Barks Donald Duck collections are pretty awesome as well, for what it's worth.

I loved Carl Barks as a kid. They're certainly age-appropriate, although they can also be enjoyed by adults. I also liked Garfield a lot when I was young. I'm also mentioning Asterix - I remember reading the Asterix books from an early age and although I surely didn't understand everything, the drawings drew me in.

• Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    Isn't there still a Sonic comic out? I can't speak for it's quality, but when you're under 10, many things are still cool.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Isn't there still a Sonic comic out? I can't speak for it's quality, but when you're under 10, many things are still cool.

It's still out, but it's kind of terrible and has been for years. I mean, I gave up on it while I was still a kid (but it was originally great, even rereading some of the stuff now). Uhh, it's probably still kid-friendly, but it would be like 10-12 kid-friendly and I think they've been trying to go even edgier from my impressions when I flipped through a book several months back, so I'm not sure it'd be a good fit for a 6-year-old.

The Donald Duck comics have indeed been historically awesome. And Uncle Scrooge's comics too, assuming he still has his own comic line nowadays (or you can at least find a collection of them). Uhhh, it's not the same genre of course, but there's a lot of manga out there that explicitly has age labels indicating who they're supposed to be for out there. Anime/manga have become way more popular among kids and teens over here in recent years, I've gathered. I can't think of any particular recommendations at the moment, but you could take a look.

And yeah, try to find something from indie publishers if you can, because they need your moneys!

Essee on
  • Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    Seconding the Marvel Adventures titles - there's Avengers, Spider-man (probably the best), there are a bunch of other back issues too, including some amazing FF ones. They also did some Power Pack comics in the same vein, very bright colors, fun adventures, crossovers with popular movie characters (Wolverine, Captain America, etc).

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
    yeah, that Ultimate Spider-man looks good (to me) but i think i'd like to keep the (potential) nightmares to a minimum, although i do remember getting "mainstream" titles when i was his age, but then again, the late 70s were a much different time...

steam:maguano2
    gamertag:Maguano71
    Switch:SW-8428-8279-1687
  • Options
    Essee wrote: »
    The Donald Duck comics have indeed been historically awesome. And Uncle Scrooge's comics too, assuming he still has his own comic line nowadays (or you can at least find a collection of them).

There's more than one collection of these -- the old Carl Barks collections (most recently reprinted by Fantagraphics) are great, because they're Carl Barks. The newest ones are a _lot_ more patchy, especially the Donald Duck ones, which can depend on already-dated pop culture references. (you can generally tell these apart because they're written by people with Italian-sounding names, for some reason, and printed by Boom! Studios).

Boom! Studios have done a lot of disney/pixar comics, which are mostly okay -- just watch out for The Incredibles comic, which started off well, but then got cancelled partway through a storyline, so does not come to any sort of sensible ending.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Uncle Scrooge and Donald Duck stuff, for sure.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    My son is 8, been reading comics for a year or so. He does like some of the Sonic comics - the ones that had Sega Genesis themed covers he really liked. He likes the new Popeye and Garfield comics and Spongebob is always a hit. We both read the Adventure Time and Marceline comics as well.

• Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    I don't know how good the English translations are, but classic Belgian/French comics such as Tintin, Lucky Luke, Astérix and the Smurfs are really awesome for kids (and their parents!).

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7043-7606
    Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    The newest ones are a _lot_ more patchy, especially the Donald Duck ones, which can depend on already-dated pop culture references. (you can generally tell these apart because they're written by people with Italian-sounding names, for some reason, and printed by Boom! Studios).

Those are stories written and drawn for Donald Duck paperbacks which are published under different names in Europe. From what I know, they're produced in a very streamlined process and stories, like you said, often depend on some current reference which might or might not be familiar to an American audience. They're not as high quality as, say, stories by Carl Barks or Don Rosa, who is another great Disney artist and expands on elements present in the Carl Barks stories.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    physi_marc wrote: »
    I don't know how good the English translations are, but classic Belgian/French comics such as Tintin, Lucky Luke, Astérix and the Smurfs are really awesome for kids (and their parents!).

I grew up with Tintin, can't say I've ever read the original French but I loved them (and still do, got the collector's box set as a Christmas present last year right before the movie came out).

• Options
    BTW, it may be bland but I think every kid goes through a phase where they think Garfield is the absolute funniest thing they've ever read. My son still loves him and the new comic isn't bad, it's more story based than the strip obviously. I personally avoid the Peanuts, I find them preachy and he finds them dull. Stuff like Tintin, Smurfs, etc are good suggestions but if the kid wants actual comics that look like comic books you'll probably have to go with more current characters.

• Options
    Lemme give you a little suggestion.

My first comic books were Casper, Richie Rich kind of stuff. I dont ever remember asking for them, they just were supplied. When i was old enough to appriciate non-crap, I realized what a disservice was being done on me. I know hes young, but dont patronize him! give him good books! No garfield, no peanuts! There are better options! :)

• Options
    EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    Grabbing some old Garfield comic collections would be awesome regardless of the current comics' quality, because I swear the old ones I have are still funny to me (or at least they were a couple years ago) regardless of what anybody might say about them. And obviously Calvin & Hobbes is fantastic. But yeah, while he should definitely be introduced to these sorts of comics, that might not be exactly what the kid is after right now. If the new Garfield is more like a "real" comic book that might indeed be something to try I guess.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Yeah, when I was a kid I had the first couple Garfield collections and like them a lot. Also Calvin and Hobbs, and Far Side.
    I had one book, I have no idea if it still published, but it was a big tome of Superman comics. Basically reprints of selected ones from each decade. So like, the first one, the first Mr. Mxyzptlk one and such. It was a pretty neat cross section.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Far Side is a toughie because I think it takes a slightly order viewpoint to get the humor in some of them. I think a 6 year old might miss some of the jokes.

I would recommend going into a comic shop and asking the person working there. I would bet they know what sells to that age group and can make some suggestions - especially if it's a small local shop.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    azith28 wrote: »
    No garfield, no peanuts! There are better options! :)

A Charlie Brown Christmas is pretty classic and that music is going to be a part of the holidays forever, a peanuts collection to complement that is no disservice in my mind.

I had a bunch of Garfield collections, but once I got on my own I moved into webcomics and manga, and I didn't exactly look back. Garfield actually taught me a lot of vocab as a kid, so its not the worst thing.

I was looking through my old Gon book and totally forgot that he rips a buffalo in half teaching a lion how to hunt. Its not like it gore, and I'm fairly sure I read them young, but I was probably a preteen.

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    physi_marc wrote: »

I grew up with Tintin, can't say I've ever read the original French but I loved them (and still do, got the collector's box set as a Christmas present last year right before the movie came out).

Man, I dont know why I didn't think of Tintin or Asterix. I loved those around that age. I still love them - have giant posters of Tintin covers on my wall in nice frames.

• Options
    Tintin is good, but explaining the background of what's actually going on to a kid that young can be a bit tricky. (slave trading? drug smugglers? Alcoholism? Actually, that last one worked okay -- based on how Capt.Haddock behaves, he'll never touch a drop..)

Asterix would almost certainly be a huge hit, but our guy already reads enough biffing-people-centric stuff without adding to the list. And as other people have mentioned, he loves Garfield (and Calvin and Hobbes), though those are even further from 'comic shop' things.

• Options
    I know I've already said this, but if you're going to shell out cash for a collection of comic strips, don't send that money to people that aren't dead or billionaires and instead give it to the guys who make Sheldon, The Dreamland Chronicles, Lilith Dark, Super Siblings, or Armstrong (no book yet, but there will be and you can read the comics for free online, like the rest of them)

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Tintin is good, but explaining the background of what's actually going on to a kid that young can be a bit tricky. (slave trading? drug smugglers? Alcoholism? Actually, that last one worked okay -- based on how Capt.Haddock behaves, he'll never touch a drop..)
    On sort of a similar thought, as a 6 year old he's probably several years out from it, but if he sticks with the whole comics thing, Maus and I Kill Giants are both pretty amazing.

steam_sig.png