As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Thread For David Petraeus; Ideally His Service Record But Realistically His Penis

Because it's the thing in the news and keeps driving various other threads off topic, let's have a topic devoted to everyone's favorite philandering failure of a flag officer!

So David Petraeus recently resigned from his job as head of the CIA because he had an affair with his biographer Paula Broadwell. They had some kind of bizarre joint e-mail account or something. One of the people e-mailed was another woman, who is kind of crazy. She told a friend at the FBI, who is also an idiot and under investigation for sexual misconduct of his own involving said other woman. Meanwhile, the other woman also was exchanging flirtatious e-mails with the current General in charge of the Afghan War, John Allen. The whole thing is stupid and full of sex.

Naturally the media loves it.

But they can't quite quit David Petraeus, who they fell in love with during the surges in Iraq and Afghanistan, which they seem to believe were successful, for some bizarre reason. I disagree. I think the man is a hack whose only real talent is for snowballing the media and convincing them he is some magic combination of Ike, Patton, and Grant.

So let's talk about David Petraeus, his wars, and his scandal. But preferably mostly the first two.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Man, what is it with our commanders in Afghanistan? First McChrystal, now Petraeus? Place is where generals go to self destruct their careers.

• Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    thumb150-iraq%20me%20dave%20petraeus.jpg

general_petraeus_nytimes.png

Uh huh.

CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Great article regarding the coverage of Petraeus' current predickament
    http://www.salon.com/2012/11/15/david_simon_medias_sex_obsession_is_dangerous_destructive/"]

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Man, what is it with our commanders in Afghanistan? First McChrystal, now Petraeus? Place is where generals go to self destruct their careers.

It's gone from being the graveyard of empires to being the graveyard of careers.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Didn't Broadwell also get ahold of classified documents somehow?

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Great article regarding the coverage of Petraeus' current predickament
    http://www.salon.com/2012/11/15/david_simon_medias_sex_obsession_is_dangerous_destructive/"]

Okay, he really needs to call that dude Roger, otherwise, I thought he was talking about himself about halfway through the thing.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    ALso, so far there has been no indication of a security breach.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular

• Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »

She had some level of clearance, I think the real question is whether or not she could "courier" the documents she was allowed to access.

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    People are so stuck up. I read the wiki page for this scandal and that shit is dumb. Oh noes he had sex with a writer. Big fucking deal. It's just sex it has nothing to do with his ability to do is job. Just let people fuck un peace, fuck!

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    Regardless, about the details of the scandal. I find it humorous that it all started over two women wanting to be his secret mistress.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Generally I care very little about politicians screwing around and whatnot but this guy is head of the CIA. The possible security issues with an illicit affair are too risky for it to be acceptable.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Generally I care very little about politicians screwing around and whatnot but this guy is head of the CIA. The possible security issues with an illicit affair are too risky for it to be acceptable.

Yeah, it's not even about whether or not she had clearance; it's that she had blackmail-grade leverage over him.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Fireflash wrote: »
    People are so stuck up. I read the wiki page for this scandal and that shit is dumb. Oh noes he had sex with a writer. Big fucking deal. It's just sex it has nothing to do with his ability to do is job. Just let people fuck un peace, fuck!

It's a big issue since he's the head of the CIA and was in the military (I've heard from various people on tv shows reporting about this incident they don't like cheaters). Its meant to be unwise to do this for spies since it's blackmail material. It's worse for the boss of the department because he has far more influence and knowledge about the organization from the top down.

• Options

It's a big issue since he's the head of the CIA and was in the military (I've heard from various people on tv shows reporting about this incident they don't like cheaters). Its meant to be unwise to do this for spies since it's blackmail material. It's worse for the boss of the department because he has far more influence and knowledge about the organization from the top down.

The reason that absolutely everybody superswears that the affair didn't start until after Petraeus left the military is because adultery is illegal according to the UCMJ, and a 4 star general committing a crime doesn't really look all that great.

• Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    I tend to hate pretty much all the "news" coverage about this scandal because it feels like about 60% of it is members of Congress demanding to know why they weren't told about someone else's marital infidelity before an election. I wish that Robert Mueller would just go to the Hill already and ask them, "Do you want us to go back to the Hoover days when the FBI collected and traded information on who was fucking whom for purposes of political blackmail? Because I'm sure we can dig up some files on your sex lives," because maybe that would get them to shut their traps.

One thing I do not hate about the coverage of the scandal is that Saturday Night Live has really kicked it up a notch.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/426525?playlist_id=1251

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    SammyF wrote: »
    I tend to hate pretty much all the "news" coverage about this scandal because it feels like about 60% of it is members of Congress demanding to know why they weren't told about someone else's marital infidelity before an election. I wish that Robert Mueller would just go to the Hill already and ask them, "Do you want us to go back to the Hoover days when the FBI collected and traded information on who was fucking whom for purposes of political blackmail? Because I'm sure we can dig up some files on your sex lives," because maybe that would get them to shut their traps.

One thing I do not hate about the coverage of the scandal is that Saturday Night Live has really kicked it up a notch.

Didn't Patraeus need to be confirmed by congress for the CIA post? They have a point of needing to know about that before approving him.

• Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    SammyF wrote: »

Didn't Patraeus need to be confirmed by congress for the CIA post? They have a point of needing to know about that before approving him.

Literally no one is suggesting that this is why Congress is upset or that the details of a Justice Department investigation were withheld from members of the United States Senate when they voted to confirm Petraeus a year and a half ago. He was confirmed by the Senate in June of 2011, and the FBI didn't open a file on this until May of this year.

People are just pissed that it didn't get turned into campaign fodder.

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »

Yeah, it's not even about whether or not she had clearance; it's that she had blackmail-grade leverage over him.

Well she doesn't any more, so why not give him his job back?

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Malkor wrote: »

She had some level of clearance, I think the real question is whether or not she could "courier" the documents she was allowed to access.

I don't know the details here. Was she carrying them by herself?

This is actually a big concern with clearances for two reasons.

One as mentioned is the potential for black mail.

The other is the very real concern that if you have no qualms lying to your spouse for personal gain, arguably the person whose trust and approval you value even more than your employer's, what's to keep you from doing the same with an organization you are quite possibly merely ambivalent about?

• Options
    Julius wrote: »

Not in the interest of the CIA to employ liars.

Counter intuitive to the job field I know but personal honesty and integrity are vital parts of working in it.

• Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

Counter intuitive to the job field I know but personal honesty and integrity are vital parts of working in it.

That doesn't make any sense to me. Could you elaborate a bit please?

I can't begin to imagine why deception isn't a big part of the CIA's work.

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    poshniallo wrote: »

I would have to guess it involves the idea that you're helping the CIA against "bad" guys, so people with a strong moral compass are a must. Because when you've got access to almost any information in the world you want, you don't want someone who's conscience says "Man I'd really rather have a Masarati than a BMW" dealing with criminals with really large check books.

• Options

Wait I thought he came out and admitted it immediately? Did I miss something.

• Options

Deception of your target can be a big part of your job (but certainly not always or at all). But when you're deceiving those closest to you for personal gain it is a significantly different thing and definitely a concern. Would you trust someone who freely lies to their spouse with information valuable to your rivals?

• Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Allen Dulles, the guy who more or less created the CIA as we know it today, had literally hundreds of affairs. He had sex with everyone from people working for the Agency to people in the Greek royal family. He makes James Bond look like a chaste monk.

I'm just saying.

That said, a GMail account, seriously? If he'd handled the affair with half the security one uses to handle a special access program he'd still be in office.

Daedalus on
  • Options

After being caught, right?

That's not really a hallmark of honesty.

• Options
    Daedalus wrote: »
    Allen Dulles, the guy who more or less created the CIA as we know it today, had literally hundreds of affairs. He had sex with everyone from people working for the Agency to people in the Greek royal family. He makes James Bond look like a chaste monk.

I'm just saying.

That said, a GMail account, seriously? If he'd handled the affair with half the security one uses to handle a special access program he'd still be in office.

It's by no means a guarantee that a person is unfit for access but the government has plenty of room to be picky in this area.

Also standards of decades past vs now etc.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Yeah basically. He's honest after the fact.

The great thing about this scandal is its the media who is tearing down their own creation. Sadly not for the extensive losses in afganistan using his ridiculous surge, but I'll take it.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Why would you expect anyone to admit it before there is any reason to? Surely someone who sends an e-mail around the day after the affair begins is far less suitable for the job?

• Options
    JibbaJibba Registered User regular
    edited November 2012

Because he resigned. It's the type of thing that probably could've passed (although people are making an issue out of the potential for a security breach, it's not that strong of a case) but him giving in so early seems... questionable.

A former colonel and current professor at BU was on NPR and made the interesting point that our ten years of war have given generals a level of deference and power they normally wouldn't receive, and may have changed the culture of upper military leadership. We already heard about the corruption cases opened up this summer, where a bunch of senior leaders were receiving illegal gifts, abusing funding for personal vacations and sending service people to run personal errands for them.

Jibba on
  • Options
    Mvrck wrote: »

I would have to guess it involves the idea that you're helping the CIA against "bad" guys, so people with a strong moral compass are a must. Because when you've got access to almost any information in the world you want, you don't want someone who's conscience says "Man I'd really rather have a Masarati than a BMW" dealing with criminals with really large check books.

And this right here is why. The government doesn't like risking valuable information with people who lie for personal gain. It can and has happened to their detriment.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Well most men in a position of power would probably you know not cheat on their wives if they expected to remain in power. Ok well democrats in a position of power.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular

Deception of your target can be a big part of your job (but certainly not always or at all). But when you're deceiving those closest to you for personal gain it is a significantly different thing and definitely a concern. Would you trust someone who freely lies to their spouse with information valuable to your rivals?

That seems to be a function of his patriotism, not his honesty. I would not trust a person who lies repeatedly. Whether it was to their spouse, their employer, the electorate, or their current geopolitical enemies doesn't seem relevant.

It seems to me that in espionage work you want someone with a talent for lying combined with great patriotism so they'll use that talent in the service of your nation.

I'm not trying to judge that at all. Lying is a tremendously important skill. But I still can't see why you think general honesty is important in this work.

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options

Strong moral compass and honesty about your sexy, sexy affairs aren't particularly tied I think. Nor do I think that you can tie lying in one set of circumstances to lying in another set of circumstances. Acting like someone who has an affair is probably a sociopath is kinda silly.

• Options
    edited November 2012

And this right here is why. The government doesn't like risking valuable information with people who lie for personal gain. It can and has happened to their detriment.
    I think this is a bit of a red herring. Affairs, sadly, aren't that uncommon in positions of power and while it looks bad that he was adulterous, no one I've talked to in the CIA actually thinks it reflects on his aptitude. It's a PR black eye, but he could've continued serving if he'd wanted to and thought he was still fit for the job. The questions I've heard regarding the quick resignation are whether there's more he wants to avoid, or if it's just a really bad calculation on his part.

Personally, I'm far more interested in the ridiculous military socialite aspect and how widespread these scenes are, than what he did with the biographer. That Jill Kelly is getting special favors from an FBI officer bothers me more.

Jibba on
  • Options

I'm just saying.

It's by no means a guarantee that a person is unfit for access but the government has plenty of room to be picky in this area.

Also standards of decades past vs now etc.

The modern news media's fascination with sex scandals is literally the only reason why this became a career-ending issue.

Like that article posted earlier said, if we start down the road of purging everyone who has an affair, you lose Clinton, Kennedy, and Roosevelt but get to keep Nixon and Coolidge. It's not that "an affair doesn't necessarily mean that the person is unfit" but rather that it doesn't even really imply it.

• Options
    Jibba wrote: »
    That Jill Kelly is getting special favors from an FBI officer bothers me more.

If you're buddies with the guy who answers phones at the local pizza joint, your orders get to the top of the queue, yes? Why anyone would think that the situation would be suddenly different with police officers is beyond me.

• Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    There's also the fact that an affair not turning into blackmail doesn't mean there wasn't potential. It was a stupid risk.

• Options
    Jibba wrote: »
    That Jill Kelly is getting special favors from an FBI officer bothers me more.

If you're buddies with the guy who answers phones at the local pizza joint, your orders get to the top of the queue, yes? Why anyone would think that the situation would be suddenly different with police officers is beyond me.
    The guy is a counter terrorism agent, not a police officer. There's a totally different level of protocol between the two situations.