As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I'm looking for a part for a projection TV

And I'm not sure where to begin looking. My stepdad has a TV and there's some kind of circuit board in it that fried (a small bit of it is burned black). It doesn't have any memory chips or anything like that - it just looks like a lot of capacitors, so I'm guessing that it's some kind of power distribution board and that something like this isn't just some aftermarket part I can grab at uncle dave's TV warehouse.

If there even is such a thing as a market for television parts, that is.

Anyway, I'm not even sure where to begin, as, in my estimation, if he's going to replace this then he's going to have to find another similar TV to salvage it from.

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Well the first step would be to get the exact model number of the tv, and from that try and find a service/repair manual. From the manual you should be able to get a part number. After that I would check ebay, or a/v forums and see if anyone might have that part lying around, or another tv that uses the same part.

and then you just have to weigh the price/effort of replacing that part vs. a new tv.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    I've already done all of that. I now have the part number! (It's on the part)

DirtyDirtyVagrant on