As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Do We Have A Beer Thread? I Want to Talk About Beer Now

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Picked up a Stone Suede Imperial Porter.

This shit is good. The color is almost black. Just delicious.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    The local grocery store had Guinness Foreign Extra on sale for just a dollar a bottle. Picked up a four-pack to Tetris into my already packed beer fridge.

• Options
    spec2spec2 Painted in my tiger skin Especially in MichiganRegistered User regular
    Another brewery to check out if you're ever up in Michigan: Grizzly Peak Brewing Company in Ann Arbor. I sampled everything at their brewery yesterday and it was all pretty damned good. Their Pale was more herbal and flowery than bitter, which I like, and their Kölsch was pretty great too. Oh and the food was awesome and a bargain as well.

• Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    Ranked from Best to Worst:

Lazy Saison - Farmhouse Ale from Lazy Magnolia in Mississippi
    - Pretty good Saison. Crisp, yeasty, good strong alcohol in the nose. Definitely the best in the bunch.
    Estaminet - Euro Pale Lager from Brouwerij Palm in Belgium
    - Heineken-like, in a good way. A simple easy-drinking imported lager.
    Sunken Ferry Stout - American Stout from Fire Island in New York
    - A bit too watery and over-roasted. Otherwise, a decent american stout.
    KelSo Pilsener - Czech Pils from KelSo in Brooklyn, NY
    - Sweet like a mexican lager - think Pacifico. Sort of misses the mark for a Czech Pils.
    Jever - German Pilsener from Friesisches Brauhaus in Germany
    - Trashy beer. Weird straw flavors, probably better on draught, but if I'm in Germany this is not what I'll be drinking.
    Old Golden Hen - English Bitter from Greene King / Morland in the UK
    - Blugh. What is WITH the English and beer. Insipid, vaguely sweet, bottled in clear glass. Nothing bitter about it. I have a second bottle and it's going to be a struggle to drink it.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    Had some good stuff this weekend, a good haul from the store and a good time at the local craft brew bar.

Currently I'm sipping a Tinder from Uinta in Salt Lake City. It's a Rauchbier, a german smoked lager, an elusive style that I've wanted to taste for a long time. I love it! It's very smokey, lightly sweet, warming.
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1416/110865/

Yesterday I was downtown at the craft brew bar. I started with a Long Trail Culmination, a chocolate porter. Absolutely delicious. Then a Long Trail Limbo IPA that I did NOT like at all. Something really funky - wet sock sort of flavor going on there. Weird. I think there might have been something wrong with the keg. Then a friend and I split a bottle of Allagash Fluxus 2012, a belgian strong ale brewed with green and pink peppercorns. Just a lovely beer, if you let it warm on your tongue the pepper starts to come through in a subtle way. I love peppercorn flavors in alcohol.

Friday night I was roasting a chicken and sipping on some new Sierra Nevada stuff. They have a single run IPA out in a 22oz bottle called "Harvest". It's a single hop IPA using Yakima #291 Hops. IT IS SO FRESH! If you see it, you must pick up a bottle. It was a bargain, too, about 5 bucks/bottle. Sierra Nevada also has an IPA 4 way mixed 12 pack out on shelves, and I scooped one of those. Black IPA, Torpedo Extra IPA, White IPA and Session IPA. So good. I love hops.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    There was definitely something wrong with your keg of Long Trail Limbo, because I had a six of it and LOVED it. No wet socks taste at all. Too bad, since it's one of my favorite recent beers.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    There was definitely something wrong with your keg of Long Trail Limbo, because I had a six of it and LOVED it. No wet socks taste at all. Too bad, since it's one of my favorite recent beers.

Yeah, I'm willing to give it another shot if I see it in bottles, Long Trail is usually a safe bet, so I was very surprised that it tasted so off.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Picked up a bottle of Matt's Burning Rosids. It's the beer that Stone made in memory Matt Court right.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Picked up a bottle of Matt's Burning Rosids. It's the beer that Stone made in memory Matt Court right.

That one was decent, but didn't rock my socks too hard. I'm just psyched that in addition to All Day, we now have Stone Go To IPA in the session IPA category. An IPA I can drink 4-5 of and not be speaking in tongues!

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Today I got these!

FqHkttNl.jpg

I really dug Jam Session when I tried it so I figured let's try their IPA as well.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    I drank a 4 pack of Left Coast Hop Juice last night. It was some good stuff, 9.7% abv and I was playing tippy cup with people drinking Coors Light.

Let's just say I got pretty drunk.

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Drinking Pfriem's double IPA. It is much better than the dog would have you believe.

aviary_1395624114957_zpsadthw8e0.jpg

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    I don't want to be rude but that dog hates that beer.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    That dogs mom was killed by that beer.

• Options
    Not enough evidence to convict.

• Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    The Judge wrote: »
    Not enough evidence to convict.

Interesting, because it looks like that beer has been sentenced to death anyway.

What are you, some kind of rogue judge? Above the law?

• Options
    Cool motive... Still murder

• Options
    williamstomewilliamstome Registered User regular
    Map of good beer bars in Boston.
    Purple star is convention center.
    Red = World Class
    Orange = Excellent
    Yellow = Very Good
    Green = Good
    Light purple = Brewery you wouldn't ordinarily go to for drinks

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zZiMoopPD7NA.kQAtrt0ui3Us

• Options
    Charlie's Kitchen in Cambridge. I went there twice last month while going to concerts at The Sinclair. Good sandwiches and a decent selection of craft beer on rotation.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    And also JM Curley near Boston Common has a pretty great selection, add that to the list.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    Also, if enough PAX'ers want to get something going with Trillium, I can reach out to see if they'll do anything, as the founder lives right next to a good friend of mine.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
  • Options
    That's awesome, but not $50 awesome (considering normal tap equipment is less than that).

• Options
    I am currently drinking a Magic Hat Circus Boy hefeweizen.

It's my favorite Magic Hat so far but I've had mediocre experience with them in the past.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    My wife is da bes. The other night she was buying a few bottles of gin and orange vodka for herself and decided to pick me up a 6 pack of Southern Tier's 2X Stout, a 4 pack of Stone's Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale, a 4 pack of oaked Arrogant Bastard, and a 4 pack of Murphy's Stout. This'll last me over two weeks!

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I haven't had a beer in weeeeeeeks because I am so broke

SO THIRSTY

• Options
    Damn, Shorty. Wanna send you some beer.

I'm drinking one of my NoDa Jam Sessions and it is so fucking good. I'm a little surprised that Beer Advocate rated their Hop Drop and Roll more highly overall, because man. What a good beer.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    Shorty, if you lived anywhere near me I'd buy you a beer. Can't leave a brother dry like that.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Smith Forge Cider has to be the worst hard cider I've ever had. Disgustingly sweet with a weird amount of carbonation and odd aftertaste.

Learn from my mistake and stay away.

• Options
    OK, I take back my comments on Stone Burning Rosids. That beer is great. WAY too alcoholic for how smooth it is though.

• Options
    It's such a unique flavor which is what I loved about it.

• Options
    Just got my tickets to Beer Advocate's American Craft Beer Fest in Boston at the end of May. STOKED!

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah I do not like this Long Trail Limbo. I don't know why...it's kinda bugging me, because it's getting raves around the web and down at the store. It just tastes weird, like there's an odd musty aftertaste on the back of my tongue.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    I just had a porter the other day. This one, to be precise. It was good, but I don't love it, like I do with most of Haandbryggeriet's other beers. There's a lot going on tastewise but there just wasn't enough punch in the flavour and the mouth feel was too thin compared to other porters I've had. Not bad, but didn't meet my expectations.

I love this brewery though. Once they got out of their "BELGIAN BEER" phase, it's all been at least good. And their revival of home made Nordic beers is a thing of beauty. Watching the commercial manufacturers try and play catch up to that is hilarious.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    Noisymunk wrote: »
    Yeah I do not like this Long Trail Limbo. I don't know why...it's kinda bugging me, because it's getting raves around the web and down at the store. It just tastes weird, like there's an odd musty aftertaste on the back of my tongue.

So you inspired me to open my last bottle, and I don't really get the musty aftertaste but I think there's like... a mossy kind of sweetness to it that isn't typical of other IPAs I enjoy? Maybe what I'm getting as those notes is what you're getting as an aftertaste. Anyway I quite enjoy it, but it's a bummer you don't! Have you tasted Schlafly's beer made with Tasmanian hops? I'm wondering if it's the Australian hops that are causing the difference.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    Just had the Breakfast Stout from Founders. Reputation: deserved.

• Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Went on a whisky distillery tour for my dad's birthday.

Got to try a whole bunch or Penderyn whiskys, and ended up taking a bottle of their peated whisky home.

penderyn_peated_1.jpg

This isn't beer but it is super good stuff. Also it is the first whisky made in Wales since the 19th century.

101 on
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Anchorage Brewing Galaxy White IPA.

An IPA brewed with spices aged in white wine barrels. Crazy strong grapefruit flavors. Like almost a grapefruit cider of some kind.

I'm not sure how I feel about it I'd better have two or three more pints.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    Man, one thing about getting old is that you end up with so much beer in your fridge after parties. Not only did people clean up after themselves, but I got a few bottles of bigfoot, some sam's summer and a few other things, all while very few of my own beers were taken. Now I have to drink all this damn beer.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Tried a couple of beers from the 5 Rabbit brewery this weekend. As my father used to say. "I'm not mad, just disappointed."

5 Rabbit tries to do Latin American style beers, which is an interesting idea. But the execution on both of the styles I tried needs some work.

The 5 Vulture, which is a stout with ancho chili was pretty anemic. Had an interesting flavor just at the back but wasn't able to deliver anything beyond just a faint difference at the beginning. Otherwise it was a pretty forgettable stout.

Then I tried the 5 Rabbit which is their golden/blond ale. Very thin and anemic flavor. Not much hops or malt I could notice in the beer.

This discussion has been closed.