As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Do We Have A Beer Thread? I Want to Talk About Beer Now

• SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    Well milk stouts have lactose added to them, which is metabolized by the yeast. My S/O is intolerant too but she's never had issues. If you are really sensitive to it though yeah I guess a lactaid can't hurt

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    So I'm going to talk about the new bar I went to since it's that awesome. So it's got 30 beers on tap and it's got two screens that have all the beers and the information about them (brewer, ABV, IBU, cost) and more importantly next to the beer is a keg that shows how much beer is left in the keg. That's important because at the bottom of the screen it has the beers that they have in kegs to replace the ones that go empty. Or at least the ones that they don't have backup kegs for.

• DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Tomorrow Great Divide is releasing all of their remaining Belgian Yeti cases, aged for two years. At a whopping 25 BUCKS A CASE.

I am grabbing as many as I can.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    I've spent 25 bucks for certain bottles. For a whole case is absurd.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Send me one!

Yeti party at my place!

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
    Deadfall wrote: »
    Yeti party at my place!

...When's the party?

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I'll be at this yeti party.

Or will I? Tonight I am drinking Left Hand's Wake Up Dead Imperial Stout. I might not survive the night. This is a pretty smooth, but thick 10.2% beer that is getting me all WHOOOOOO

• Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    This apple pie moonshine is reminding me that moonshine can be dangerously smooth.

DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Yeti party at my place!

...When's the party?

YetiPAX? Come to Denver let's do this.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
    Yeti party at my place!

...When's the party?

YetiPAX? Come to Denver let's do this.

Man it's gonna have to be one hell of a party for me to drive all the way to Denver.

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Magell wrote: »
    So I'm going to talk about the new bar I went to since it's that awesome. So it's got 30 beers on tap and it's got two screens that have all the beers and the information about them (brewer, ABV, IBU, cost) and more importantly next to the beer is a keg that shows how much beer is left in the keg. That's important because at the bottom of the screen it has the beers that they have in kegs to replace the ones that go empty. Or at least the ones that they don't have backup kegs for.

I actually been seeing this set up at two bars I frequent. It's really great.

Mypo0swl.jpg

I actually bought three cases, but the third is chilling in my beer fridge.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Send me a bottle!

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I just moved back to Minnesota from Boston, tell me about Minnesota beers I should keep an eye out for! Anything especially good that I should grab or is this frozen tundra a beer wasteland?

I am in the business of saving lives.
    Deadfall, seriously. I can't get Great Divide in my state.

I get a case or two of something or other whenever I get out to Colorado.

Stop taunting me!

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Man, I need to try more whiskey. This Lagavulin is really, really tasty.

edited September 2014
    jgeis wrote: »

Lagavulin is a pretty good whiskey for starting with!

Anything in particular you want to try next, or are you just looking for suggestions?

In either case, I recommend going to tastings (if offered in your area) or to a bar with a good selection and trying a glass before dropping money on a whole bottle. After you've found a number of whiskeys that you like the taste of, it'll be easier to talk to people at the store for more things like it, but when starting out it can be a tricky proposition.

DarkPrimus on
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    wait, what's wrong with rogue?

i love dead guy ale.

also I am a big fan of Alpha King from Three Floyds in Indiana. pretty god damn excellent stuff that

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I just moved back to Minnesota from Boston, tell me about Minnesota beers I should keep an eye out for! Anything especially good that I should grab or is this frozen tundra a beer wasteland?

Where in Minnesota are you?

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »

Lagavulin is a pretty good whiskey for starting with!

Anything in particular you want to try next, or are you just looking for suggestions?

In either case, I recommend going to tastings (if offered in your area) or to a bar with a good selection and trying a glass before dropping money on a whole bottle. After you've found a number of whiskeys that you like the taste of, it'll be easier to talk to people at the store for more things like it, but when starting out it can be a tricky proposition.

I guess if I were going to get started with tasting whiskey, I'd want a good example from each style. That way I can at least establish a base of knowledge and work out from there.

Def open to suggestions and recommendations for pretty much anything. There are some bars with big whiskey selections around here so o can probably try most things.

Also open to trying other whiskeys in the style of Lagavulin, since I like it quite a lot.

• The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Lunch today. The following exchange probably resulted in my food taking six years to get to me.

Waiter: Hey there, welcome to Yard House.
    Me (thumbing through the menu): Thanks.
    Waiter: First time here?
    Me (still eyeballing the menu): Actually, yes it is.
    Waiter (with an oh-you-poor-newbie grin): Beer list is a little intimidating, isn't it?
    Me: Hell no.

Honestly, while they do have a pretty sizable and decent beer list, I came away feeling that this is a sports bar that desperately wants to be upscale enough so you don't think of it in those terms. Which will be difficult with 30+ flat screens and a steady diet of the Eagles and Skynyrd in the background.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • existexist Registered User regular
    Took one look at the Yard House prices, and decided no thank you. Don't need a chain to serve me local beer for higher-than-local costs.

UmPiq.png
  • pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    On the whisks, Balvenie double wood is a good speyside to try.

• CincituckyCincitucky Registered User regular
    tyrannus wrote: »
    wait, what's wrong with rogue?

i love dead guy ale.

also I am a big fan of Alpha King from Three Floyds in Indiana. pretty god damn excellent stuff that

Three Floyds rules. On the pricey side but excellent beers.

For Rogue, there are lengthy reads about shenanigans within the brewery. You can search for "reddit rogue brewery." Last time I bought Rogue Dead Guy, could swear I tasted maraschino cherries. Maybe my sense of taste is changing but never remembered that flavor in the beer.

Was able to snag a couple seats for a Victory Brewery tasting! $5 for getting fed and a handful of the brewery's beer offerings.

Imagine what "cheese' could exist if someone tried to copy Velveeta.
  • EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Just hit up a local restaurant in the town I work at. They're carrying Railway City's Double Dead Elephant, which is an imperial, fresh hopped version of their standard red IPA, Dead Elephant. Delicious, and a bit of a trouble-causer. If you happen to find yourself in southwestern Ontario, I highly recommend you partake.

• JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    How would an independent Scotland affect scotch prices/availability?

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Without knowing what money they are going to use, is there any way to tell?

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I'm curious where you guys are where you can get Three Floyds, they are local to me and I love those brews

• CincituckyCincitucky Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Three Floyds distributes to Northern Kentucky. Not sure about the Cincinnati side of the river.

Would love to try 3F's Zombie Dust first hand. Only thing that comes close is a homebrew recipe that's a clone of the original.

Cincitucky on
    Imagine what "cheese' could exist if someone tried to copy Velveeta.
  • NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    Friend's band was hosting open mic night at a club down the street, so I popped on down there to socialize and play some drums.

Club had Oaked Arrogant Bastard on tap.
    (While a band was playing)
    Me: OAKED ARROGANT BASTARD ON TAP? I'LL HAVE ONE!
    Bartender: NO IT'S IN BOTTLES
    Me: OH?
    Bartender goes in the fridge and pops the top off a bottle and hands me an Angry Orchard.
    Ohhh...Okay....

And I wasn't gonna be /that guy/ so I sucked it down and then went on stage and lit the place up playing drums behind a bunch of guys playing Sunshine Of Your Love.

brDe918.jpg
    Guess you weren't noisy enough, munk.

• ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Oh hey what's up Beer Thread?

This is a thing that just happened and is kind of nuts.

I mean.

Those are all terrible beers.

But they were our terrible beers

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • wrong_buttonwrong_button Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Artreus wrote: »

I mean.

And now, beer terribles you.
    Because the alcohol industry need a little more consolidation. Yeesh.

wrong_button on
  • existexist Registered User regular
    I like PBR even more now.

UmPiq.png
    I stopped by the local awesome liquor store and what do I see but a whole bunch of boxes near an empty display. Why yes, the employee says, we just got those in, haven't had a chance to put them on the shelves yet but they are all for sale.

Great Divide beer!

Didn't have that Belgian Yeti Imperial Stout you're going gaga over @Deadfall, but I got a big bottle of Oatmeal Yeti Imperial Stout and a couple of sixers. I'll have to stop by again later on to try some more varieties, they said they are going to be getting more in the coming weeks.

• pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Artreus wrote: »

I mean.

I'd wager that the Lone Star brand being Russian is the real big deal. Texans the world over are wondering if they're Communists now.

On an unrelated note, I motherfucking love me some Lagunitas Lil' Sumpin' Extra. It's just so good. :#

pardzh on
    gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
    I stopped by the local awesome liquor store and what do I see but a whole bunch of boxes near an empty display. Why yes, the employee says, we just got those in, haven't had a chance to put them on the shelves yet but they are all for sale.

Great Divide beer!

Didn't have that Belgian Yeti Imperial Stout you're going gaga over @Deadfall, but I got a big bottle of Oatmeal Yeti Imperial Stout and a couple of sixers. I'll have to stop by again later on to try some more varieties, they said they are going to be getting more in the coming weeks.

Yeah Belgian Yeti was discontinued 2 years ago. That's why I was so excited. I literally have the last batch.

Oatmeal is good though. It's great cold weather beer.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
    edited September 2014
    Okay well then still send me some!

As far as PBR getting bought out, I predict it will have about as much impact on sales as Budweiser getting bought by the Belgians.

DarkPrimus on
    Okay well then still send me some!

So I had an idea, because a few of us were talking about this.

And because I'd like to try beers I can't get here. And I'd like to share the Yeti love.

https://www.facebook.com/pabrewtsquad

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
This discussion has been closed.