As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Desert Bus for Hope 6: Desert Bus 3 in America. On NOW!

ElaroElaro ApologeticRegistered User regular
It's that time of year again, when a roomful of people gather together to play the most boring game in the world, Desert Bus! Of interest to us is that they are streaming their labours live over the internet at desertbus.org. To keep from dying of boredom, they've set up a system of user-submitted challenges, live auctions, call-ins from geek icons, and other cool stuff.

But why, you ask? Why are they submitting themselves to being the internet's monkeys? Why, it's for the children, of course! The goal of Desert Bus for Hope is to raise money for Child's Play. The main gimmick of Desert Bus for Hope is that the more you donate, the longer they have to drive the bus. Each hour costs 7% more than the hour previous, beginning at 1 dollar. As of this writing, they're up to 115 hours.

So, what is everyone excited about? Any auction item you've got your eye on? Any call-in you're looking forward to? Got any idea for challenges? What about the chat? Do you like the chat? Discuss away!

Whale dong, everyone.

Children's rights are human rights.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkYotclMFWY

haven't tuned in this year, yet

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm going to start a charity for people to pledge money to Child's Play for every hour I watch these guys playing Desert Bus

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Some friends of mine are trying to do a charity drive for Child's Play by playing Artemis.

Except, there are absolutely no goals. Just "oh hey we're gonna be playing Artemis on this date from this time to this time and we're trying to get a bunch of people to come out and play as well so you should donate to our Child's Play chip-in because Child's Play."

I tried pointing out that they're offering no actual incentives for people to donate to their chip-in, and that if people really wanted to donate to Child's Play, they could just skip the middle man and donate directly to Child's Play. One friend started talking about ideas they had been discussing for possible goals/objectives, and that they were still planning everything.

At which point I asked why they started the chip-in a week ago.

Cart. Horse. All that.

My friends are bad at things.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Tox you have my permission to kick them in the shins.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Like, on the one hand, they're theoretically raising awareness for Child's Play among our local gaming community. But on the other hand, they've got a month and a half to organize, and they've made a chip-in, a facebook page, a g+ page, a twitter account, a ustream account (they're going to stream it live for people to watch), and have actually done nothing to try to help raise money. I'm starting to feel like they just want an excuse to play Artemis all day. Which is sad, because they don't need an excuse to do that. I offered to make a thread in here advertising, and even got the ok from Tube, but now that I see they basically have no organized plan to actually provide incentives to donate, I changed my mind and edited out all the info.

They want to raise $7k. That's an awesome goal. They're not actually doing anything to reach that goal, though. So fuck 'em. I even tried showing them the Desert Bus stuff, as an example of how a group gets donations by providing incentives. The response I got? "Yeah but Desert Bus has been doing this for six years, we're still organizing everything."

I didn't have the heart to point out that if you are still organizing, you have no business executing.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    hats everywhere!

watching the stream now, will probably be watching mostly when it gets to be thanksgiving break

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    moosemousemoosemouse Registered User new member
    First of all, this is off topic for this thread, but I'm so incensed that I want to respond so others know the "whole story" instead of your narrow view.
    Tox wrote: »
    Some friends of mine are trying to do a charity drive for Child's Play by playing Artemis.

Except, there are absolutely no goals. Just "oh hey we're gonna be playing Artemis on this date from this time to this time and we're trying to get a bunch of people to come out and play as well so you should donate to our Child's Play chip-in because Child's Play."

If you bothered to read the information about it, this is letting people who have not played or seen Artemis a chance to play, as well as using it as a pull to get people to donate to Child's Play.
    I tried pointing out that they're offering no actual incentives for people to donate to their chip-in, and that if people really wanted to donate to Child's Play, they could just skip the middle man and donate directly to Child's Play. One friend started talking about ideas they had been discussing for possible goals/objectives, and that they were still planning everything.

Yes, they could. And if they do, that would be awesome. 100% of all donations are going to Child's Play, so I don't care if you donate via Desert Bus, or Artemis, or directly. Our intent is to raise money for them and give people who haven't or want to play Artemis to play.

We have a problem in that Artemis is not the easiest game ever. We'll also have a WHOLE LOT of people and kids there who are learning and so we can't introduce arbitrary rules or restrictions as they would invariably fail and get frustrated with the game. The reason for watching the stream will be to watch people having fun, saying and doing silly things and generally enjoying themselves. If you haven't played Artemis before and can't come by, this is one way to get a taste of it from the perspective of a beginner.

We won't be playing very much, actually, it will be the people joining in (and donating) who will be playing.
    At which point I asked why they started the chip-in a week ago.

We were organizing. Better to have everything ready (Facebook, chipin, meetup, etc) then advertise and actually have nothing for people to do.
    Cart. Horse. All that.

Again, if you read the two goals are: "Introduce new players to Artemis" and "Use the attraction of Artemis to show people Child's Play and get donations". Currently, we haven't come up with anything concrete that people can donate "for" in-game, mostly because we won't have a group of people who are sitting there ready to do it (Desert Bus). This is different.

Oh, and you said you were going to _promote_ this event, not denigrate it. We asked everyone for ideas while we do the setup and administration, and instead you hop on this forum, off topic, and say nasty things. We're spending quite a bit of our own money here and not taking a penny of the donations for ourselves. Either help, make your own charity event (With blackjack and hookers), or be quiet.
    My friends are bad at things.

Friends don't badmouth their friends behind their back.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Clearly whatever your fucking beef is it's massively more important than the topic of the thread. I think we should all take some time to concentrate on the massive importance of something something bad friend who cares

• Options
    moosemousemoosemouse Registered User new member
    I apologize for having to post an off-topic reply to an off-topic post, but when we're trying to set up something for people to have fun and do good while having fun and get blasted by someone who was going to promote us, it hurts, and I was hoping to tell our side of this instead of what I saw.

If you want, feel free to delete my posts as off-topic, but I would ask that you also delete his posts for the same reason. I was merely trying to set the record straight.

Tube, Tox originally was going to ask for permission to post our charity event, do I just need to PM you with the details instead?

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    It's already been sought and granted, so you guys can decide amongst yourself who's going to post it.

• Options
    ZharaZhara Nerf Herder, Gamer Raleigh, NCRegistered User regular
    Thank you Tube. You are a kind and wonderful person. I thank you for your level head about this matter.

“First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win.”
  • Options
    JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    So...DesertBus

My BFF Sara has an awesome Half-Life poster up for auction.

http://desertbus.org/silent-auction/65

It's pretty cool. It has beautiful head crabs.

thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    I opened this stream to find out what this Desert Bus thing was. An empty room.

Okay, I wonder, maybe they all went to breakfast.

Then.
    Like ninjas from a forest.
    The entire freaking cast rise into the shot.
    Kathleen de vere from below the love seat. A guy from behind it. Two people from the left. One rises from the couch like a vampire.

It was awesome.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Options
    The Good Doctor TranThe Good Doctor Tran Registered User regular
    Desert Bus is always my favorite event of the Child's Play season.

Although if we extend the Child's Play season back a few months then Piggy's Amnesia stream is a strong contender as well.

LoL & Spiral Knights & MC & SMNC: Carrington - Origin: CarringtonPlus - Steam: skdrtran
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    I watched at least 24 hours of this straight last year because I was observing a binary system

It was a real challenge figuring out which one was more interesting.

zkHcp.jpg