As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Planetside 2]: Lasers for the laser god.

SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGamingRegistered User regular
edited January 2013 in MMO Extravaganza
Helpful stuff below!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZswZksSVVcA

What is Planetside II?
"Planetside II" is the sequel to the celebrated but only modestly successful MMO "Planetside". It is a first person, open world shooter where soldiers from 3 different factions battle for control of bases, landmass and glory. The emphasis is on large scale battles between air, infantry and tanks and it was not uncommon to end up in fights between hundreds of people in the original. Where the first game had a monthly subscription, this sequel will not. The plan is for it to be free to play with some sort of cash shop.

The first game came out just before the MMO boom in 2003. It immediately found a core fanbase but the game suffered from many isssues large and small and saw a major drop in player numbers after the first 6 months. Shortly thereafter the MMO behemoth "World of Warcraft" came out and gutted the population further. As a result, Planetside was largely abandoned by SOE and the game was left with a skeleton crew of developers.

However, the game has survived to present day as one of the extremely rare MMOFPS products on the market and while it never reached any particularly great heights, almost everyone saw the massive potential in the game. Now fans hope that Planetside II can live up to the expectations.

So what's the deal, man?
In Planetside II you will get to fight as a soldier in one of three different factions:
The Vanu Sovereignty.
w1dwdz.jpg
"The destiny of the human species tilts toward ruin. Thousands of years of shortsightedness and provincial thinking have hampered its proper evolution. We plunge toward oblivion. Those able to comprehend the promise and potential of humanity will advance. They will usher the less gifted through the gateway of understanding and cleanse the taint of blindness, ignorance and mulishness from the species. We are the shepherds of evolution, the harbingers of progress. We lead toward the light."
—Vanu Sovereignty information brochure

The Vanu Sovereignty (VS) is an Enlightened/fanatical faction established around the technology of the exctinct alien species that once inhabited the planet of Auraxis, the world we're fighting for in the game. Their weapons are all energy based and most of their vehicles tend to hover. Oh, and they love the colour purple!
The Terran Republic
3520sut.jpg
"Loyalty until Death! Strength in Unity! Order requires law. Law is enforced through deterrence. Deterrence is based on the fear of consequences, and fear is the most powerful motivating force. The separatist groups, the Vanu Sovereignty and the New Conglomerate, will be dismantled through the exercise of forceful deterrence. Dissidents will fear the consequences of their disloyalty. Unity and order will be restored."
—Terran Republic propaganda poster

The Terran Republic (TR) is the benevolent overlord/evil dictator and they have an affinity for fast firing ballistic weapons and tanks and the colors red and black! They used to be the big dogs on campus and are now fighting to wrest control back of Auraxis from the other two factions.
The New Conglomerate
vgir9y.jpg
"Tear down the Threat that is Tyranny! Burn it all down and Start Again! We call all able-bodied soldiers to The Frontlines to take up arms against those who would deprive us of our basic freedoms. Do not forgive! Do not forget the History of Oppression that we have endured at the hands of the Terran brutes and the Vanu maniacs! Volunteer Now!"
—New Conglomerate recruitment bulletin

The New Conglomerate (NC) are the freedom-fighting idealists/terrorists who want to usher in a new era for the people of Auraxis and their focus is on slow but hardhitting vehicles and guns. Their favourite colors are yellow and blue!

For more detailed info check out the videos below!
VIDEOS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KSXXEOJUcG0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=x6HgC6Exs0U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=mfwd3U709dc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ptGe-UplC34

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Qv4Y0YN5180

Random Screenshots!
http://a.yfrog.com/img816/1926/ivajp.jpg
http://a.yfrog.com/img740/9135/74xjyq.jpg
http://a.yfrog.com/img875/3664/qhbli.jpg
http://a.yfrog.com/img737/8495/2vscl.jpg
http://a.yfrog.com/img876/8745/a06kv.jpg
TOGSolid wrote: »

If you haven't tried using the CPU Unparker Utility, I HIGHLY recommend you give it a shot. Everyone who uses it is reporting solid FPS gains and that their rig is no longer chugging in big fights. It might make your game playable.

http://www.coderbag.com/Programming-C/Disable-CPU-Core-Parking-Utility

I suggest we put this sucker in the OP because it's solving problems for a lot of PA bros.
hey @sniperguy , this stuff needs to be in the OP. I think it will help our people immensely with the larger facilities.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qKbvM7mEg4

I also think that new players should look at a LOT of Rival Xfactor's PS2 tutorial threads. Even though he's a filthy TR, I can't fault his friendly and informative demeanor. Plus he plays the other factions sometimes to give tips on empire specific weapons, and vehicles.

Examples:

Breach busing Tech Plants
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q14-6RYo3j0

Taking a Bio Lab
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwXhdjksMQA&list=UL

Twitch Streaming basically all week
SniperGuyGaming on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
SniperGuy on

• NeliNeli Registered User regular
    Think I'm gonna split my time between NC and Vanu. Mostly Vanu because they are OBVIOUSLY the most awesome but I also like to get my bullets and gunpowder fix

Booo Terrans

vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    VSmug.png.png

"Bullets, you say?"

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    Reposting the reddit thread where they list where all the outfits are going:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/13exmq/we_have_the_server_names_so_what_servers_are_all/

steam_sig.png
  • MoistMoist Registered User regular
    So I'm confused, is there somewhere we can go to download the main client as we wont be using the beta client. Or are we waiting until 'launch' to start downloading?

Moist wrote: »
    So I'm confused, is there somewhere we can go to download the main client as we wont be using the beta client. Or are we waiting until 'launch' to start downloading?

We get to download the client when the "launch" starts, meaning no one here will play today ;)

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    But it'll be on steam too! Yay. (damnit let us download it now)

Well now I know. That seems incredibly stupid though, I guess since nobody has bought a copy nobody can complain. Damn free to play.

Well I did get alpha strike. Can I complain?

SniperGuy wrote: »

Well, Steam will download the launcher which downloads the game. We are all getting it from the same source.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    Klyka wrote: »
    Klyka wrote: »

Well, Steam will download the launcher which downloads the game. We are all getting it from the same source.
    True. Everyone wait an hour and let me go first.

Well I did get alpha strike. Can I complain?

For Alpha Strike? Yes.

For Alpha SQUAD? No.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    Squad, strike, tomato, lasers, whatever.

• f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    How slow do the Vanu shots travel? Is it a pain in the ass to hit anything at range?

steam_sig.png
    f3rret wrote: »
    How slow do the Vanu shots travel? Is it a pain in the ass to hit anything at range?

I didn't really notice a difference between my Vanu and my NC weapons when it came to ranged combat and bullet travel time.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    Any idea on how long the download takes?

Retaba wrote: »
    Any idea on how long the download takes?

The first download for me was about 6gig. Did have two 2 gig patches after though so could be about ten in total. The patcher is also not that fast.

• VoroVoro Registered User regular
    Total disk usage will be 9769 MB according to Steam. Currently getting ~1.8 MB/s, so Steam hasn't shit itself...yet.

XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    SOON

Edit: NOW

LET THE DOWNLOADING BEGIN!!!

That_Guy on
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    I'm clicking the button on steam.. but nothing is happening :(

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
    Restart Steam, worked for me.

Yep, working now. Surprised it is actually downloading through steam.. very nice 8-)

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • RykeRyke Registered User regular
    Some of us cool kids will be playing on Connery (west) as Terran Republic, you know where to find us.

XBL: Ryke Kardine SteamID: Ryke
  • TheflyingassTheflyingass Registered User regular
    Downloading at about 3-3.4MB/s on steam. Good thing they put the client on Steam as well, since the main site is being flooded into oblivion.

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Gonna pilot so many ships.

But not until after Thanksgiving, most likely.

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    I take it they havent fixed the whole error 1001 thing with the beta client?

I guess I could just delete the folder but Id rather not leave all the extraneous things laying around my computer.

As a general principle that makes sense, but in this single instance I doubt it will hurt. I deleted the main folder and that .dll that the SOE support page mentions also.

Presumably with the new installation of the release client most everything else will get overwritten.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Corehealer wrote: »
    SogekiDan, Ryke Kardine, myself, Kakos, Shiashi and others on the PA GW2 TS3 server are setting up a TR outfit called TSR (Tunnel Snakes Rule; Hooray for shitty Fallout 3 Memes) on US West server Connery. Get in touch with Ryke or SogekiDan on there for an invite and tell them your PA/Core sent you. We'll be on pretty consistently and are planning on setting up a balanced squad composition with different infantry to roll around as. We'll probably also dabble in other factions/PA groups; I know I'll be doing so.

Just if anyone is interested.

Reposted from the Vanu thread which I thought was this, main PS2 thread.

488W936.png
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    SogekiDan, Ryke Kardine, myself, Kakos, Shiashi and others on the PA GW2 TS3 server are setting up a TR outfit called TSR (Tunnel Snakes Rule; Hooray for shitty Fallout 3 Memes) on US West server Connery. Get in touch with Ryke or SogekiDan on there for an invite and tell them your PA/Core sent you. We'll be on pretty consistently and are planning on setting up a balanced squad composition with different infantry to roll around as. We'll probably also dabble in other factions/PA groups; I know I'll be doing so.

I'm there.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    50% through the download :whistle:

t5qfc9.jpg
  • DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    NC game name on Connery: Dirtyboy

• That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »

I guess I could just delete the folder but Id rather not leave all the extraneous things laying around my computer.

The closest I got to an answer on that subject was that the installer is supposed to clean up anything left behind by not being able to uninstall the beta.

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »

The closest I got to an answer on that subject was that the installer is supposed to clean up anything left behind by not being able to uninstall the beta.

So I should just delete my beta folder and hope the install of the release game cleans up everything else?

• AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    Any EUs going somewhere or is it just to the US server for safety in numbers?

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    I deleted my entire beta directory and had windows cleanup the registry hook in the uninstall control panel (it will go "yo this stuff doesn't exist, we're gonna remove it from your list of installed programs")

Seems to be okay.

• KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »

I'm there.

Yeah that sounds like what I'm looking for. I'll be in game soon enough.

• BiosysBiosys Registered User regular
    can dudes from eu play on the na servers?

• KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    Allright. Got in. Joined the TSR outfit.

Then PS2 promptly crashed.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    so is it better to delete the beta client first, or just download the launch client and let it overwrite stuff?

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    so is it better to delete the beta client first, or just download the launch client and let it overwrite stuff?

I just went and got mine through Steam and deleted my old stuff.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    End of beta KB said to delete the stuff. I deleted it all yesterday as per the instructions (kind of, I installed to a different directory which their instructions don't consider) and am now plugging away at the release client download. 4.3. of 6.8 gigs.

I'm glad it's F2P. I loved PS1 but I never really got into PS2 during the beta. This at least lets me test the waters every now and again to see if it feels like PS instead of BF.

MOBA DOTA.
This discussion has been closed.