As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

BoltBus, MegaBus, Greyhound: which one won't get me stabbed?

cooljammer00cooljammer00 HeySmall Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
So I'm trying to buy my bus ticket home for Thanksgiving (DC to NYC), and I'm debating between Greyhound, Megabus, and BoltBus to get home for Thanksgiving. Is Greyhound still full of crazy murderers and lacking wifi?

I'm open to taking something else, of course. But these are the three I know something about.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    I've had good but crowded experiences with the Megabus to NYC. Wi-fi and things as well as a generally not terrible crowd of people. Took it from Akron, Ohio to Pittsburgh to NYC.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Greyhound is pretty crazy, but you likely won't get stabbed, at least at the bus. Boltbus is owned by Greyhound, but it has wifi and might be cheaper. I know a guy who does Megabus all the time, he says it's cheap as shit and great for going to Atlantic city.

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    I did the Megabus between Boston and NYC a few times and it was great. Grab the seat on the upper deck all the way at the front with a giant view, plug your electronics of choice into an outlet and log into the wifi, and have a little mini vacation.

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Is there a reason you're not taking the train? The ride from DC up through NYC and even on to Boston is SO much nicer that way.

Greyhound is fine, though. You are far more likely to die in a fiery crash on the garden state parkway than get killed by someone inside the bus. =)

Straygatsby on
  • Options
    CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    Is there a reason you're not taking the train? The ride from DC up through NYC and even on to Boston is SO much nicer that way.

Greyhound is fine, though. You are far more likely to die in a fiery crash on the garden state parkway than get killed by someone inside the bus. =)

This. The Train is quicker, quieter and more direct.

If you don't want to be stabbed on a bus, find a well-lit, quiet spot towards the front near some non-assuming fellow passengers, hunker down with a book (you don't want to flash any fancy electronics) and don't do anything to call attention to yourself. Common sense will serve you well...

CoJoe.png
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    Take the bolt bus. It's cheap, reliable, and if you're lucky your ticket could cost a dollar. I take it from Baltimore to NYC all of the time, and there's no reason to be sketched out by your fellow passengers or the bus in general. Just try not to get the seat by the bathroom, because there is usually a lot of foot traffic.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular

This. The Train is quicker, quieter and more direct.

If you don't want to be stabbed on a bus, find a well-lit, quiet spot towards the front near some non-assuming fellow passengers, hunker down with a book (you don't want to flash any fancy electronics) and don't do anything to call attention to yourself. Common sense will serve you well...

The train costs way more, especially if you're doing it inside two weeks. Train tickets from DC to NYC are near plane ticket costs if you're too close to the date.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    I have taken the Megabus many, many, many times. Greyhound a couple. I have never had a problem with Megabus at all. The worst thing that's ever happened on megabus was when my NYC to State College, PA bus was crowded. That's about it.

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    I took MegaBus from Ann Arbor to Chicago a few years ago when I was picking up a car.

The bus ride itself wasn't bad. Clean, comfortable, cheap. I'd highly recommend it, it was nice to sit back and read without worrying about driving.

The bus WAS late to the pickup and I missed it (went home to find the number to call - before smartphones) but the next driver let me ride without a problem.

• Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    Bolt's a chinatown bus, right? The problem is less stabbings and more balls of flame.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I think you're thinking of Fung Wah, @Bagginses. I don't take those anymore.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    I've taken Bolt Bus to both DC and to Boston (from NYC) with no issues.

Goose! on
  • Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    Took a Greyhound NYC-Philly. It was a tad bit shady, but it wasn't bad at all.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Khavall wrote: »
    The worst thing that's ever happened on megabus was when my NYC to State College, PA bus was crowded. That's about it.

Goosey Hell. I would never recommend MegaBus for anything that involved a living creature.

Not only do they have major fatal accidents at least once a year - three in 2012 - but it's how they handle it.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    Pure DinPure Din Boston-areaRegistered User regular
    According to the NTSB, you're 7 times more likely to die from taking a curbside bus like Megabus than you are from the Grayhound. http://journalistsresource.org/studies/environment/transportation/ntsb-curbside-bus-safety/

At least sit on the lower level...

• Options
    I wasn't even aware there were second level MegaBus buses.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    I am currently waiting for my 11:20 megabus, if that helps.

• Options
    Prices for buses on the day before Thanksgiving are highway robbery.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Pure Din wrote: »
    According to the NTSB, you're 7 times more likely to die from taking a curbside bus like Megabus than you are from the Grayhound. http://journalistsresource.org/studies/environment/transportation/ntsb-curbside-bus-safety/

At least sit on the lower level...
    That is not quite correct.

"•From January 2005 to March 2011, curbside carriers had 1.4 fatal accidents per 100 vehicles compared with 0.2 per 100 vehicles for conventional carriers — seven times the rate of fatal accidents. In part because of the buses’ size, most of the victims were occupants of other vehicles." So make sure you are in the curbside bus.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Thank you for that, zepherin. That's so comforting.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    For DC to NYC, I recommend the Megabus as it bypasses Baltimore. The Bolt Bus goes through Baltimore, which takes a LOOONG time. Megabus takes the beltway around (and stops at White Marsh), meaning the trip is shorter.

Due to the extra level on the DC/NYC Megabuses, they feel roomier and you're more likely to get a row to yourself. It also makes using the restroom nicer.

The Bolt Bus is, in my opinion, only better when you're going to one of the side stops, like Philly, Newark, etc. The Bolt Bus stops at more Penn Stations, basically, but that's not more convenient to someone actually in DC going all the way to New York Penn Station.

All these buses are safe. The ones to watch out for are the weird overnight ones.

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Well I ended up choosing Greyhound because it was cheaper and had more buses I could take.

I wish BusJunction hadn't shut down. A Kayak for buses would be super keen.

edit: I will try MegaBus next time though, massive death counts be damned. I assume it takes a different route because the bus is bigger and has to skip low bridges or something?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    It just takes 95 to the NJ Turnpike until it gets to the Lincoln Tunnel, and tries to stay above 75mph the whole way. Easy.

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Well I ended up choosing Greyhound because it was cheaper and had more buses I could take.
    Glad to hear it.
    I assume it takes a different route because the bus is bigger and has to skip low bridges or something?

Well, that's what'd you'd think, but apparently the drivers have other ideas. :?

Ain't D&D so won't get into it, but just concerning to me a company like that can still be in business. Glad Greyhound worked out!

MichaelLC on