As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Planetside 2: Fight for the people, be a horrible facist, or some sort of anime.

• Options
    JerkbotJerkbot some kind of hypnotist Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Hmm
    maybe it's because i played games on shitty computers/consoles for years, but i've never understood how 30fps could be too low of a minimum for people
    I mean it's not ideal but it's more than playable, especially considering I get 60 with no/few enemies.
    every Halo game runs at 30fps, all the time, forever

Jerkbot on
    VyQGM.jpg
  • Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    i'm getting like 10-20 fps most of the time

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    Yeah, assuming you've cranked everything down, that's really just bad luck with SOE's spotty optimization

VyQGM.jpg
  • Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Halo games are locked at 30 FPS, the problem comes from rapid changes of 5+ FPS, which is what happens when you look at anything interesting in Planetside 2, but to the tune of 25+ FPS

It'll get fixed eventually I hope. Turning everything on, the game looks amazing when it's running smoothly. Definitely one of the prettiest engines I've seen.

THESPOOKY on
    d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    Those of you who are having trouble and have an Nvidia card, download the latest beta driver, that should fix some issues.

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    you can also get a not-insignificant increase in performance by going into UserSettings.ini and manually adjusting the render distance

by default it's set to basically render the entire damn continent, so by turning it down to about 1000 you can gain a few FPS without losing the ability to snipe and watch air2air battles

• Options
    MetacortexMetacortex The Prettiest Zombie Coeur d'CoeursRegistered User regular
    Ranlin wrote: »
    Ranlin wrote: »
    Ubik wrote: »
    Ubik wrote: »
    oh man i got like a 5 minute window of perfect framerate/no lag and there was a huge NC platoon assaulting a Vanu base and this game was wonderful and then every time i moved the mouse the entire world would flicker
    Yeah I get this sometimes too. It's a testament to how fun this game COULD be that I keep coming back to it through all the crashes and glitches.

Same, on both accounts. So fun, but man.. :(

Did get some fun times with @Metacortex earlier, cruisin' around in 2man tanks. The most amusing death being, while I was driving, an enemy Galaxy come barreling out of the sky to suicide straight into us. I wonder if he had any passengers :p

Haha yeah. I spotted him, think it said 1/12. Would have been mean to his compatriots if there had been some in there. Funniest part about it was that my log gave the kill credit to you, not him. So that's twice you TK'd me, you big jerk :P

4FNao2T.png
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Last night was a good night to be a Vanu on Jaeger. Fell in with a group that was proper organized rather than just deploying wherever the map was flashing and shooting anything the wrong colour. Capture one place, Galaxies and Sunderers actually waited until they were full up before moving on to the next, and rolled the space tea party almost all the way back to their warpgate on Amerish.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    YEah, it's pretty fun when there are a huge amount of people, and you can kinda feel the push pull dynamic.

yeah, absolutely

i've never had more fun repeatedly dying than trying desperately to hold a position against an encroaching column of armor and aircraft

Us G&T guys were all in Vent earlier and we had 3 full squads and we were just rolling from one place to the next, or back to places to defend and it was glorious. Tank columns, sunderers filled, infantry swarming. The only thing we didn't do was a lot of air but it didn't seem we needed it. I got at least 200 certs in just a couple of hours of play reviving, healing, and piloting a magrider like a fucking pro. I love teamwork :bz

yeah i was with you guys

i'm Wyn

Okay, I need to get in on this.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    So is there a main side/server (dunno how it works) for PA?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    YEah, it's pretty fun when there are a huge amount of people, and you can kinda feel the push pull dynamic.

yeah, absolutely

i've never had more fun repeatedly dying than trying desperately to hold a position against an encroaching column of armor and aircraft

Us G&T guys were all in Vent earlier and we had 3 full squads and we were just rolling from one place to the next, or back to places to defend and it was glorious. Tank columns, sunderers filled, infantry swarming. The only thing we didn't do was a lot of air but it didn't seem we needed it. I got at least 200 certs in just a couple of hours of play reviving, healing, and piloting a magrider like a fucking pro. I love teamwork :bz

yeah i was with you guys

i'm Wyn

Okay, I need to get in on this.

We have a thread over there if you'd like to join us.

Oh, and I mentioned it over there but I dropped in on a squad beacon once and clipped the nose of a friendly galaxy and flipped it over and got a LOT of teamkills. Oops!

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    tuggatugga Makin' movies Makin' songsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    So is there a main side/server (dunno how it works) for PA?

Right now g&t has a vanu outfit on waterson that's pretty large

We can field about 3 squads at peek times and last night 3 squads + some pubbies held tawrich for a solid 90 minutes against a massive siege from both NC and TR

tugga on
  • Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    yeah the G&T outfit has been very cool so far

everyone's been chill

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Oh, I literally forgot we had an MMO forum. I was kinda wondering. Will probably start a new guy on Waterson then.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Veretas wrote: »
    Those of you who are having trouble and have an Nvidia card, download the latest beta driver, that should fix some issues.

wooooo

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    mccartmccart Registered User regular
    you can also get a not-insignificant increase in performance by going into UserSettings.ini and manually adjusting the render distance

by default it's set to basically render the entire damn continent, so by turning it down to about 1000 you can gain a few FPS without losing the ability to snipe and watch air2air battles

Setting ShadowQuality=0 in my UserOptions.ini seemed to give me a pretty large increase in performance. This setting completely disables all shadows, setting it to 1 is the equivalent to the "low" setting in the graphics menu.

• Options
    tuggatugga Makin' movies Makin' songsRegistered User regular
    Running a HD 6850 with an X6 1090 and my fps drops like a stone during any major fight and I hover around 25-40 during anything except milling around base camp and this is with everything set to "low"

So yeah either my settings are jacked or SOE has some serious optimization work to do

• Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    just installed

sounds like this game will be fun.

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »

wooooo

did that driver help you?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    So right before the server shut down, TR attacked Quartz Ridge (I think?) on Indar with an impressive number of tanks.

5C0B3C839483BE750AE7C7356C4323536D4CDCDF

It was a tough fight but we held them off until the shutdown, but I think we could have also held them off even if the server hadn't gone offline.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    oh hey protip i just learned
    If you're an engineer and you've equipped a cert item that replaces your ammo
    you can press b on your turret box and it will turn into an ammo box

VyQGM.jpg
  • Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    PlanetSide2.exe has stopped working every time I start the game.

Evidently it just doesn't play nice with many people using Windows 8.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Jerkbot wrote: »
    Jerkbot wrote: »
    oh hey protip i just learned
    If you're an engineer and you've equipped a cert item that replaces your ammo
    you can press b on your turret box and it will turn into an ammo box
    I wonder why?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Okay, so what server and faction should I join?

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    Okay, so what server and faction should I join?

Join us Vanu on Waterson

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular

wooooo

did that driver help you?

a bit

I went ahead and got 24 certs this morning, with only a few hiccups here and there

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Okay, I think I'm focusing on being an engineer
    and maybe a little infiltrator on the side, in case the situation warrants it

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    I'm going to guess that my experience would be hampered by quite a bit if I don't have a function mic.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular

Stay flexible. You'll find an entire army of infiltrators up against a column of tanks or light assaults and no medics storming a base. For some reason people just don't see the need and will keep running headlong into destruction. As an example, I spent two hours last night as an infiltrator because nobody was spotting.

• Options
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    I'm going to guess that my experience would be hampered by quite a bit if I don't have a function mic.

Nah, you can always listen to other people's conversations and you can hit V in-game to bring up the menu to let people know you need health, ammo, etc., and hit Q on badguys to point them out to teammates. Plus you can always type in squad/platoon/outfit chat.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options

Stay flexible. You'll find an entire army of infiltrators up against a column of tanks or light assaults and no medics storming a base. For some reason people just don't see the need and will keep running headlong into destruction. As an example, I spent two hours last night as an infiltrator because nobody was spotting.

I find it annoying that whenever I go medic, a billion other people are also doing it

then when I go engineer, same sorta deal

medic might go on priority with engy, because they tend to be underrepresented roles in other games, and I like the playstyle

oh, and my list of personal beefs:

1. assholes that drive sunderers with ten empty seats, and wont stop when I request a ride
    2. Colorblind teammates that shoot first and ask questions later
    3. tank drivers that like to think they belong in the infantry column, and then get huffy when people tell them off for running over everyone

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    1. assholes that drive sunderers with ten empty seats, and wont stop when I request a ride

When I come home tonight, you will take a special place in my front turret seat.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular

When I come home tonight, you will take a special place in my front turret seat.

;)

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    New drivers and render quality being turned all the way down get me up to 15 FPS when there's no people or vehicles in view. Think I'm gonna stop playing this.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I can't fly a scythe worth a shit.

Man, and that 12 minute time really really hampers your learning curve.

• Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    I want to play with people, so I guess I'll make a vanu on waterson.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Well, it took 2 clips and a lotta circle strafing.

But I took out a NC MAX all by myself.

I play a medic.

• Options
    if you aren't playing NC on Connery

then I ain't gonna be playing with you and that makes me sad

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    does Connery NC have an outfit yet?

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    I think im going to stay with Connery just for the respawn screen music

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg