As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Landlord does not want to replace appliance - best way to go about this?

MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
I've been in this rental with two other roommates for <3 months. When I moved in, there was a washer and dryer, and I've been told they have been there since before the roommate that has been here longest moved in. The dryer broke around a month into my stay, and after repeated calls to the landlord about fixing it (I'm told second hand that he said he would 'look into replacing it') I brought the one from my old house (was mine & paid for) and put it in, and the old one was put outside and the landlord took it after a couple days. Now mine has broken down. Oldest roommate just called the landlord, and he says that because it's our property, he's not responsible for it. True, except that he was initially going to replace the original. I replaced it because we couldn't go that long without a dryer; there was no clothesline (we made a McGuyver one that barely held one load), and even then with three roommates AND the guesthouse tenant using the washer, it wasn't enough. I was taking my washed loads to the laundry mat down the road.

I just checked the lease, and washer / dryer are NOT under the furnished appliances.

So ... what's the general consensus on what I should do know? It should be noted that the landlord offered that 'if each of us kicked in $20, he'd put up $20 too towards a dryer' but then made it sound like we'd be responsible for finding one on Craigslist. That'd be $80, and I'm already not keen on putting more money towards a dryer. No, I didn't expect compensation for the first one, but I do not want to pay more towards an available appliance that was installed before any of us current tennants moved in.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    So, the landlord never said he would replace it, the lease doesn't say he has to replace it, and he offered to chip in $20 for a new one but you're not happy because you'd rather not pay for a dryer? I mean, it would be great if the landlord would replace it, but seeing as he's not contractually obligated to do so, I don't know what you could possibly do other than hiring some people to break his knees or something. Like, what do you want to happen here? The landlord out of the goodness of his heart decides to buy you a new dryer?

• Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    I just checked the lease, and washer / dryer are NOT under the furnished appliances.

Go to a laundromat or get your dryer fixed. If the lease has that wording in it, the landlord has no responsibility here.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    It sucks, but if that's how the lease is worded you're up a creek on this one. Same thing if the washer goes.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    I understand he's not contractually obligated at all, my only complaint here is that the washer and dryer was previously furnished, and he offered to repair the first one (and then ignored our calls for two weeks), and now has completely changed his stance on the issue.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Well, $20 is much cheaper than all the trips to the laundromat you'll be making. Look at it that way.

• Options
    Yeah I guess. Hope I can find a decent dryer on Craigslist again

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
  • Options
    HewnHewn Registered User regular
    I understand he's not contractually obligated at all, my only complaint here is that the washer and dryer was previously furnished, and he offered to repair the first one (and then ignored our calls for two weeks), and now has completely changed his stance on the issue.

The fact he offered to repair the first one was simply kindness. You need to recognize that his KINDNESS shouldn't be held against him.

I think it's pretty kickass he's even offering any money at all. Sounds like you have a respectable landlord. I haven't been so lucky in the past, even with amenities that were included.

Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Where do you live? In WA if an appliance is provided by the landlord, it's serviced by that landlord, lease be damned.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Oregon.

So for short term I'm going to use the bf's dryer when I can, and I guess all of us roommates will sit down and discuss what we want to do. Discuss meaning 'okay, pony up'.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Oh, yeah Oregon's tenant laws are shit. Sorry dude.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    HewnHewn Registered User regular
    Oregon.

So for short term I'm going to use the bf's dryer when I can, and I guess all of us roommates will sit down and discuss what we want to do. Discuss meaning 'okay, pony up'.

If you can get by with everybody chipping in for $20 that's a good deal. $20 is certainly worth avoiding the hassle of heading out to do your laundry.

And hey, in the meantime you can bond with the bf. Happy thanksgiving!

Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Just buy a dryer, whatever the landlord puts in is gravy.

Honestly though, I'd see if you could get everyone to chip in to buy a new dryer under warranty. I can't imagine many situations where people are tossing out perfectly good dryers.

Plus picking it up and Setting it up seems like a massive pita

Deebaser on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Just buy a dryer, whatever the landlord puts in is gravy.

Honestly though, I'd see if you could get everyone to chip in to buy a new dryer under warranty. I can't imagine many situations where people are tossing out perfectly good dryers.

Plus picking it up and Setting it up seems like a massive pita

Dryers are easy. It's the washers that are the pita.

Yeah, buy it, you'll save a ton of money by owning. Get the cheapest you can afford.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me