As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Killed my PC?

see317see317 Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I think I may have killed my PC and am looking for any help that could be offered.

A few days ago, after moving into a new place I bought a wireless NIC, as I didn't want to start drilling networking holes in the place to run cable. Per the instructions, I installed the drivers off the CD that came with the card, turn off the machine and install the card. It's a simple PCI install, pull the side panel off, insert card, put side panel back on, attach antannae.

Now, I reconnect the various stuff to my PC and nothing happens. The fans hum, the CD drive lights flicker for a moment like it's trying to read the install CD and then nothing. No feed to my keyboard (caps lock key doesn't light up), no feed to my Wacom (LED doesn't go on), no feed to my monitor (warning message->power save mode). I let it run like this for 30 minutes, figuring it may be configuring the card or something, but nothing changes.

From this point, I've tried restarting the PC with and without the install CD in the drive, tried removing the NIC and tried connecting directly to the router with a bit of patch cable I had. Same results everytime. Lights flicker on the disc drives, then nothing.

see317 on

• Options
    Sir Red of the MantiSir Red of the Manti Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Definitely sounds like you killed your mobo. Unless you can see any sort of BIOS startup errors (usually beeps or a set of LEDS on the mobo somewhere that indicate some boot-up problems you may or may not be able to troubleshoot, check your mobo's manual), there's not much you can do in terms of repairing it.

Sir Red of the Manti on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Check all your cables and see if something is detached that shouldn't be. I dunno-- if everything seems fine then you might be hosed :/ Your PSU might of died as well. if you have a spare power supply it might be worth switching out.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Check all your cables and see if something is detached that shouldn't be. I dunno-- if everything seems fine then you might be hosed :/ Your PSU might of died as well. if you have a spare power supply it might be worth switching out.

I agree with this analysis. In particular, just because your fans are running doesn't mean your power supply is functioning.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)