As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Solutions for a cracked Vita screen?

YaYaYaYa Decent.Registered User regular
my dad bought a Vita at Best Buy on Black Friday in Alabama, and we then travelled over to Florida
while it was in transit there was some sort of luggage mishap and now there's a hairline crack in the top left hand corner of the screen which appears to just be cosmetic

he isn't sure if he can find the receipt or not, but if he can, do we have any options if we go to a Best Buy in Florida? if not, any other ideas?

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »
    my dad bought a Vita at Best Buy on Black Friday in Alabama, and we then travelled over to Florida
    while it was in transit there was some sort of luggage mishap and now there's a hairline crack in the top left hand corner of the screen which appears to just be cosmetic

he isn't sure if he can find the receipt or not, but if he can, do we have any options if we go to a Best Buy in Florida? if not, any other ideas?

If you have the original packaging you can tell them it was damaged when you opened it and see what they can do.
    If you don't have the packaging, they should still be able to enter the serial number off the vita and see that it was sold to you a few days ago. I'm not too familiar with Bestbuy's return/replacement policy though.

At the very least, it's worth a trip out there. The worst that can happen is they can't do anything and you're out a half hour that you stood in line plus travel time.

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Soooo, you're asking us if we can tell you how to scam Best Buy into giving your Dad a new Vita after it broke in his possession after purchasing it? Riiiiight...

Talk to the airline about luggage damaged in transit.

Esh on
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    You can go to BestBuy, if you don't have the receipt they can look it up by Credit Card number or contact info if he gave it them when he bought it. If they are hesitant to do the exchange tell them you want to get the warranty on it this time and it'll grease the wheels slightly.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Esh wrote: »
    Soooo, you're asking us if we can tell you how to scam Best Buy into giving your Dad a new Vita after it broke in his possession after purchasing it? Riiiiight...

Lets get out the "Jump to Conclusions" mat...

He asked what their options were.

To the OP, did he purchase any sort of replacement plan? Was the Vita taken out and used before the trip? May also wanna see what Sony has for warranty on it.

Mulletude on
    XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »

Esh pretty much does yoga on it. :P

To the OP, I doubt Best Buy would be the best avenue to go down here. I would contact the airline first, though I don't have very high hopes for that route either frankly. I assume the Vita was in checked baggage? This may seem like a dumb question but obviously if it was in a carry-on where you stuffed it in an overhead yourself or whatever they're going to say "Not our problem" and rightfully so.

Hopefully somebody familiar with Sony's warranty policies will drop in here.

• Options
    edited November 2012
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Mulletude wrote: »

Esh pretty much does yoga on it. :P

That should have been more directed at @see317 who told the OP to lie to Best Buy. Sorry, late night posting after work.

Esh on
  • Options
    MalgarasMalgaras Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    BestBuy most likely won't do anything for you, but was it purchased with a credit card? A pretty common benefit with many credit cards is accidental damage protection within 90 days or so. I have 3 cards from different providers and they all have it and I know that's how my cousin got his brand new MacBook replaced after he dropped in on the ground and destroyed the screen a week and a half after buying it. A lot of people just gloss over benefits like that when they get their cards and don't even realize they have them so it's definitely something to double check.

Malgaras on
    1tLJUH2O.png
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    okay so yes purchased with a credit card, no, in carry-on so the airline's not at fault, no warranty purchased

so

we'll see! Good tip on the warranty protection plan too

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    There's a local place here that does screen repair/replacement on Ipads, Iphones and all that. May want to check and see if you have something like that local to you.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    KharnastusKharnastus Registered User regular
    Replace the screen yourself with an ifixit guide. It will be fun :)

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    update: Went to Best Buy, dudes basically replaced it no questions asked

woooo!

Thanks everyone

• Options
    YaYa wrote: »
    update: Went to Best Buy, dudes basically replaced it no questions asked

woooo!

Thanks everyone

What did you tell them?