As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

March is The Official Schmuppreciation Month!

13»

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Castle Shikigami 2. Always good to break out at random intervals.

Indeed! Not only is a great source of lulz, it is actually a quality shmup.

I remember now my friend had a Japanese "man-shmup" where you play as lolis fighting other lolis. It looked awesome. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Also, this thread needs more arcade shmups.

Curly_Brace on
  • Options
    george-xgeorge-x New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    If you guys are looking for a relatively "unknown" series - check out G Darius for the Ps1. Wow is that shmup all types of awesome.

From Hardcore Gaming 101:

The finale of series finally hit 3D, although retaining the same 2D gameplay. And this is G Darius, originally released for the arcade and ported to the Playstation (I'm not quite sure what the "G" stands for, but every level in the game begins with a "G".) And the effect is a whole world of awesome. The game itself retains the faster pace of Darius Gaiden, all while bursting at its creative seams. You fly under the sea, amidst underwater monorails, hovering along next to dinosaurs, astro-palm trees, prehistoric spiders and all sorts of craziness. For the first time since the inception of the series, the Darius world feels alive. And the boss battles - ever fight a shark that can rip through dimensions? How about fighting different sections of a fish mothership a la R-Type in epic battles that last at least five minutes? For a game previously known for its inherent dullness suddenly contain more imagination than almost every other shooter out there - that's an amazing achievement in itself.

It's not only the graphics that get the overhaul. Building on the concept of taking over minibosses from Gaiden, G Darius lets you use capture balls to take over practically every enemy in the game. Naturally, some are more useful that others, but it's an incredibly cool way to add to your firepower. But that's not the only enhancement - when you're finished with them, you can either set off an explosive to destroy everything on the screen, or attack with a super powerful laser called the Alpha Beam. This isn't just your regular, wimpy beam of light - no, this is a massive pulse of energy that obliterates everything in its path for a good ten seconds, if not longer.

And herein lies one of the coolest parts of the game. As it turns out, each of the major bosses in the game has the same laser you do. If you can manage to make it through a fight without losing your capture enemy, and the boss takes out its big guns, you can charge up your own laser and duel with it. All this consists of is mashing buttons wildly as you play tug of war with energy bolts, but presuming your fingers are up to the task, you can utterly destroy pretty much anything with this tactic.

george-x on
    roster.gif
  • Options
    Eight RooksEight Rooks Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I've already said it multiple times during the time I've been a member of this forum but I'll say it again - playing the PC version of G-Darius with hard trance thundering in the background via WinAmp was one of the most transcendental experiences I've ever had and some of the most fun I've ever had out of a videogame.

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

Read my book. (It has a robot in it.)
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited March 2007

I remember now my friend had a Japanese "man-shmup" where you play as lolis fighting other lolis. It looked awesome. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

What the hell is a 'man-shmup?' And "lolis fighting other lolis" only narrows the field of possibilities by like, 50%. It was probably one of the Touhou series, but that's in no way certain.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    Eight RooksEight Rooks Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Aroduc wrote: »

What the hell is a 'man-shmup?'

Cho Aniki? :P

Though obviously that couldn't be what he meant.

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

Read my book. (It has a robot in it.)
  • Options
    Eggplant WizardEggplant Wizard Little Rock, ARRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm playing Ikaruga. I've been able to get to chapter 3 without dying, but chapter 3 is kicking my ass. I'm actually finding the boss to be easier than that freaking sub-boss. What the hell?

Eggplant Wizard on
    Hello
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited March 2007

What the hell is a 'man-shmup?'

Cho Aniki? :P

Though obviously that couldn't be what he meant.

Well played sir.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    GRADIUS 3

Fuckin right. That game had some kicass music and pretty damn good visuals too for being on the Snes. Plus it's Gradius, you know it's good!

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Options
    astroboyastroboy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    george-x wrote: »
    If you guys are looking for a relatively "unknown" series - check out G Darius for the Ps1. Wow is that shmup all types of awesome.

Seconded.

G Darius is fantastic. Granted, the jagged PS1 polygons are there, but the game rocks.

Plus, it has 2-player co-op (not always desireable in a shmup, but it can be fun).

astroboy on
    Xbox Live Gamertag: PlayerOne
    My Collection
  • Options
    revolverevolve Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Hm. Are there any good non-bullet hell shmups? Because I'm not really a fan of memorizing patterns and such.

revolve on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    george-xgeorge-x New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Actually, come to think of it I learned about G Darius on these forums :-)

I'm gonna add that to my list of games I have to play once every few years. Alongside of Ikaruga, TMNT IV, Strider 2, etc.

Revolve: G Darius definitely isn't bullet hell - check it out

george-x on
    roster.gif
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    revolve wrote: »
    Hm. Are there any good non-bullet hell shmups? Because I'm not really a fan of memorizing patterns and such.

Well, there are lots of non-bullet-hell shmups. The Gradius and RType games, for instance.

Also, you really don't have to memorize patterns to play well at Bullet Hell shmups. If you have really good hand-eye coordination and you can see how the bullets are moving as they come, you can dodge them fairly decently. It's more like... 'detecting' a pattern and avoiding it, rather than memorizing it.

I once went on a mission to find G Darius and Darius Gaiden. I failed in my mission. These great games are nowhere to be found.

Except on the Taito Legends 2. ......

Which didn't come out in North America :(

slash000 on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    slash000 wrote: »
    revolve wrote: »

Well, there are lots of non-bullet-hell shmups. The Gradius and RType games, for instance.

Also, you really don't have to memorize patterns to play well at Bullet Hell shmups. If you have really good hand-eye coordination and you can see how the bullets are moving as they come, you can dodge them fairly decently.

It's more like... 'detecting' a pattern and avoiding it, rather than memorizing it.

I once went on a mission to find G Darius and Darius Gaiden. I failed in my mission. These great games are nowhere to be found.

Except on the Taito Legends 2. ......

Which didn't come out in North America :(

Touhou is Bullet Hell (danmaku [Curtain Fire]) and I've been playing it for a long time and I can tell you right now that memorization doesn't work at all. You hit a button and your character's hitbox appears and you weave through everything like a psycho.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007

What the hell is a 'man-shmup?' And "lolis fighting other lolis" only narrows the field of possibilities by like, 50%. It was probably one of the Touhou series, but that's in no way certain.

Oh yeah, it's the Touhou series. and by man-shmup I mean you play as a person, not as a giant robot or fighter or similar mechanize shmup hero.

Curly_Brace on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Speaking of Compile shmups, M.U.S.H.A. for the Genesis is still one of my all time favorites.

The intro blew me away back then, and it's still awesome.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

last time i looked G Darius was readily available for >$10 on ebay. i snagged a copy last year sometime. i guess things might have changed since then i dunno.

speaking of shmups i will never get to play, i really am stoked for Muchi Muchi Pork. its the new Cave shmup, its all pig themed. obviously this will never be played by me but my lust knows no bounds.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    OtsegoOtsego Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'll have to add some pics to this post when I get home but someone needs to mention R-Type III. Definitely my favorite R-Type game, right ahead of Final. I just wish it was easier to find though or that it gets a Wii VC release.

Otsego on
    mastersword.jpg
  • Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'd like to take this moment to advocate Shoot the Bullet. At first I wasn't enjoying it as much as other games in the series, but it grew on me until it was my favorite Touhou game aside from Imperishable Night. Such an original concept.
    Cantido wrote: »
    Touhou is Bullet Hell (danmaku [Curtain Fire]) and I've been playing it for a long time and I can tell you right now that memorization doesn't work at all. You hit a button and your character's hitbox appears and you weave through everything like a psycho.
    Eh... memorization is probably not as important as people make it out to be, but some scenarios definitely require you to know what's coming. Spell 222, for instance, requires a lot of memorization to succeed.

What drives me crazy are the patterns that subtly change based on your positioning. I can handle the stuff that flies straight at you or moves in a predictable way, but shit like 215, where exactly where you place yourself will influence the pattern in ways that aren't easy to tell beforehand, always fuck me up.

I still haven't unlocked all of the Last Words. 216, 219, and the aforementioned 222 still elude me.

Kaputa on
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    After playing it, Phantasmagoria of Flower View was a bit of a letdown. Alright, but... eeeeeh.

Imperishable Night was insanely fun though. Plus it has my favourite group of characters as the bosses (the Lunarians).

edit: Kaputa, hi5!

Suriko on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I think Phantasmagoria of Flower View would have been great if a stable netplay patch was ever released. The single player didn't do much for me, though admittedly I didn't play a whole lot of it.
    Strider-J wrote: »

Psyvariar... can't say I've ever heard of it... I'll check it out on YouTube.

Area 6 boss on Psvariar 2: Ultimate Final.

If you don't want to play the game after seeing that, then get out. :P

One of the greatest final boss themes ever, too.
    Late response, but this may be the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. I was told to play this last time we had a shmup thread (hell, I think it may have been by you), and while it's been on my "to do" list, this video places it in high priority.

...Man, there are a lot of awesome shmups that I need to play and haven't. Anything by Cave, for instance.

Edit- I like how the Touhou love has gradually increased on this forum. Who started informing people in the first place? Dracil? I learned of the games from Aroduc, in spring 2006 or so.

Kaputa on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited March 2007
    Kaputa wrote: »
    Edit- I like how the Touhou love has gradually increased on this forum. Who started informing people in the first place? Dracil? I learned of the games from Aroduc, in spring 2006 or so.

I had played and discarded PCB quite some while ago before 8R got me back into it with PoFV and then I sort of virally spread from there. That's the earliest I can recall seeing talk about 'em and I've made threads once or twice on 'em... So... I blame 8R. :P

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    So, how does everyone feel about RType Final? It seems fun enough to me, slow-down or not.

slash000 on
  • Options
    Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I love it. I'd love it more if level three wasn't entirely in slow motion, but I love it.

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • Options
    TerrorbyteTerrorbyte __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    I hate how dudes are so fucking awesome at these games and how I'll never have the time to devote to them to be even a fraction as awesome.

See Also: Fighting games, dancing.

Terrorbyte on
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Kaputa wrote: »

When Touhou really started ramping up on PA, it seemingly coincided with what could be said to be an explosion of popularity of it in /a/.

Not sure if the two are related, or to what extent.

Also, Raptor. I devoted far too much time to that years ago. So much fun.

Suriko on
  • Options
    JensenJensen Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So, how does everyone feel about RType Final? It seems fun enough to me, slow-down or not.

I dig it. I had a lot of fun with it :^:

On another note why does Psyvariar 2 for dreamcast have to be so expensive :( I don't have 60 bucks, eBay! The video was amazing!

Jensen on
    signaturedisgaea.png
  • Options
    StriferStrifer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I would really like to get into the Touhou games, but it is kinda troublesome that you actually have to get the full game from Japan or however you obtain the full game. I'm really bad at importing stuff.

Strifer on
    MikoSuikaLine.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Just beat RType Final. Overall, great game. Not as difficult as I was fearing, thankfully. I'll try a harder setting on my next playthrough. The degree of 'required' memorization wasn't as high as I remembered, either.

The slowdown is there, mostly in level3, but overall, it doesn't really hurt the game, in my opinion.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Just beat RType Final. Overall, great game. Not as difficult as I was fearing, thankfully. I'll try a harder setting on my next playthrough. The degree of 'required' memorization wasn't as high as I remembered, either.

The slowdown is there, mostly in level3, but overall, it doesn't really hurt the game, in my opinion.

Yea the slowdown in level 3 irked me a little but I ended up, overall, having too much fun with the game to care :)

Jensen on
    signaturedisgaea.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I haven't played R-Type Final in a really long time. It was one of the first shmups I played, and I loved it, but then I got Gradius V and never really turned on R-Type again, since I liked Gradius V more. I'll go back to it someday.

I really need to get some more R-Type games. I've been planning to buy 1 and 3 on the VC for a while, maybe I'll do that later tonight. Also, Delta is good, right? I might have trouble finding the game, but I remember enjoying a demo I played years ago, so I've been interested in it for a while.

Kaputa on
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Just picked up my copy of Last hope for the DC. Fan made shooter by two german dudes visually taking inspiration from Neo-Geo gritty shooters. With massive influences from R-Type and Gradius.

It even has a baby version of R-Type's iconic first boss.

Must be warned though this shooter is serious business lost of memorization involved and you will by dying alot.

At £22 ($40 around) its a must buy .

http://www.ngdevteam.com/

Check this out for screenshots etc

Ziggymon on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    RType Delta is supposed to be really good, just like the PS1 darius game. Both are tough to find, except perhaps on Ebay.

I too love the gradius series, in general, more than RType. But I played Gradius V before RType Final, and plus I got RTFinal for super cheap. My expectations weren't super high or anything, especially since Gradius V is one of the best shmups. But it's exceeding my expectations right now, and I enjoy it a lot.

Also, speaking of RTFinal, I usually play the tough shmups on easier settings first just to gauge the length of the game, and style of enemies/patterns/levels, and also to familiarize myself with the nuances of the controls/weapons.

After beating RTFinal on an easier setting, I got what I consider a 'bad ending.' If I beat it on Normal, will I get a 'good' or better ending?

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    RType Delta is supposed to be really good, just like the PS1 darius game. Both are tough to find, except perhaps on Ebay.

I too love the gradius series, in general, more than RType. But I played Gradius V before RType Final, and plus I got RTFinal for super cheap. My expectations weren't super high or anything, especially since Gradius V is one of the best shmups. But it's exceeding my expectations right now, and I enjoy it a lot.

Also, speaking of RTFinal, I usually play the tough shmups on easier settings first just to gauge the length of the game, and style of enemies/patterns/levels, and also to familiarize myself with the nuances of the controls/weapons.

After beating RTFinal on an easier setting, I got what I consider a 'bad ending.' If I beat it on Normal, will I get a 'good' or better ending?

There are, as far as I know, three different endings. And it doesn't depend on difficulty (Could be wrong here) but rather what stages you visit, and what stages you visit depends on what you shoot/not shoot. I think all of the Gamefaqs walk throughs have a section focusing on the level variations that happen when you do different things that will result in different endings.

Jensen on
    signaturedisgaea.png