As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Game Grumps: And now back to your regularly scheduled Grumping, already in progress.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Ov3rcharge wrote: »
    I think a lot of the backlash is from the fact that you can never replace the chemistry Arin and Jon had. Dan might be hilarious but he will never be Jon, and as far as we know we'll never get the same style of humor from the show again. It might be called Game Grumps and it might be entertaining, but it's not the duo that I subscribed to and with a myriad of other LP's that can use some love. I see no reason to stick around when it isn't the same show I signed up for, (or subscribed to.)

I'm not saying the show is unwatchable or everyone unsubscribe right this second but I'm trying to explain why fans are leaving from a rational view and why I feel the need to let the show go.

little early to be saying we'll never get the same style of humor. 50% of the combo is still there

frankly, a little fresh air might do the show some good.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    I'm not sure unsubscribing on day one after only a single episode of the new guy (which seems to have actually been well received by the people who watched it) is an entirely rational reaction. Seems a bit knee-jerky, almost like those overdone "preorder cancelled" jokes.

50% of the show is the same (really 66% if you count Barry, and you should), and we don't even yet know if it's even a joke or not yet. Even if it's not a joke, as long as they didn't have a falling out I can virtually guarantee there will be future Arin+Jon episodes because they'd presumably still hang out and play games and I'm sure at some point they'll decide to record one now and then.

• Options
    EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    I am 100% okay with Danny. He seems to have good synergy with Arin (I'm betting he's a friend like Jon is) and his jokes actually seem to complement Arin's really well, whereas Jon and Arin had fairly different joke styles. I think this works well in a different way from how Jon and Arin worked well. He's not trying to be Jon, which is exactly as it should be because the number one way to make people mad would be to try to "replace" Jon. I think I would've rather seen them change the intro rather than putting Danny in place of Jon in the intro for the same reason, but I do understand wanting to keep the intro consistent with everything they've done thus far. Overall, I'm pretty optimistic about this!

I didn't find the initial Steam Train video to be thaaat bad, but then again I was just listening to it rather than really watching the gameplay (especially since I just got Hotline Miami myself) and I have a weakness for silly voices. Apparently other people have a weakness in a completely different way for that sort of thing, so we'll see where that goes. But I mean, I can't be the only person who likes to make silly voices for characters when they're playing a game with somebody on the couch next to them, right? So I can't hate on them for doing it. Their actual voices don't seem to suck, so I'm personally okay with it at the moment.

• Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Ov3rcharge wrote: »
    I think a lot of the backlash is from the fact that you can never replace the chemistry Arin and Jon had. Dan might be hilarious but he will never be Jon, and as far as we know we'll never get the same style of humor from the show again. It might be called Game Grumps and it might be entertaining, but it's not the duo that I subscribed to and with a myriad of other LP's that can use some love. I see no reason to stick around when it isn't the same show I signed up for, (or subscribed to.)

I'm not saying the show is unwatchable or everyone unsubscribe right this second but I'm trying to explain why fans are leaving from a rational view and why I feel the need to let the show go.

little early to be saying we'll never get the same style of humor. 50% of the combo is still there

frankly, a little fresh air might do the show some good.

The show will never be Arin and Jon. It will be Arin and Dan. That's not a bad thing but that's what I mean about the style changing. Dan can't emulate Jon, not that I would want that but the show will never be the same again.

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    I think one thing that's shaping some reactions is how sudden this all was. I can certainly understand why they would choose to proceed that way. Again, these sorts of changes will always receive a bit of blowback, so it makes sense to rip the bandage off quickly and hit the ground running. That said, I can also see some people having a negative initial reaction to such a drastic change completely out of the blue.

• Options
    Mr. JackoffersonMr. Jackofferson art guy Registered User new member
    The Punchout episode that aired today was very funny. Reminded me a lot of Goof Troop Grumps. Also Dan proved himself worthy to take upon the throne of not so grump, to me.

Overall excited for the Changes to come and happy i'm not someone who gets mad over their free content being changed.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    I totally get that two-episodes-a-day Game Grumps couldn't last forever. Thinking about Jon's personal motivations, he's a young guy and Game Grumps was his job - how long can a person be satisfied with their whole livelihood being "that guy that talks over video game footage"? I'm really bummed that they never beat Sonic, that was their white whale - I can only assume that they were so incredibly burnt out on it they didn't even care anymore if they beat it.

That said, I really don't like what they've done here at all. Game Grumps isn't a brand, it's two guys and their chemistry together. You can't just replace one and keep going, it doesn't work that way. Arin + Danny should have started a new channel, maybe brought Jon back to do a new Game Grumps once in a while if he feels like it. What they did instead feels disrespectful to the fans and pretty clearly motivated by money.

That's bad enough, but starting a new show with two complete strangers on the same day? What the fuck? Those guys should have been their own channel as well. The Yogscast did a good job of introducing a set of "spinoff" channels with different affiliated people. It's hard to believe that they can be so tone deaf to how completely and utterly they've alienated people over the course of 24 hours.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    I totally get that two-episodes-a-day Game Grumps couldn't last forever. Thinking about Jon's personal motivations, he's a young guy and Game Grumps was his job - how long can a person be satisfied with their whole livelihood being "that guy that talks over video game footage"? I'm really bummed that they never beat Sonic, that was their white whale - I can only assume that they were so incredibly burnt out on it they didn't even care anymore if they beat it.

That said, I really don't like what they've done here at all. Game Grumps isn't a brand, it's two guys and their chemistry together. You can't just replace one and keep going, it doesn't work that way. Arin + Danny should have started a new channel, maybe brought Jon back to do a new Game Grumps once in a while if he feels like it. What they did instead feels disrespectful to the fans and pretty clearly motivated by money.

That's bad enough, but starting a new show with two complete strangers on the same day? What the fuck? Those guys should have been their own channel as well. The Yogscast did a good job of introducing a set of "spinoff" channels with different affiliated people. It's hard to believe that they can be so tone deaf to how completely and utterly they've alienated people over the course of 24 hours.

I don't get how starting a new channel changes anything

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Maybe Jon will come back occasionally to do a few Sonic 06 episodes here and there.

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Am I the only one who's completely indifferent to this? Sure we "lost" Jon, but we also get more JonTron, while still getting a facimile of Game Grumps. And the new guy might even turn out to not be the worst thing ever, anything is possible! I guess the reason I'm largely "meh" to this is that Jon has been talking about making more JonTron for a loooong time, and I always knew that was always going to mean a break from Grumps. I just figured they'd stop Grumping completely for a while and go and work on their own stuff. In any case, I would say that there is an approximately zero percent chance that we will never see Jon on Game Grumps ever again. He will be back.

Steam train seems pretty lame so far, but if it continues to suck I'll just stop watching and let the view counter speak for itself. INTERNET DEMOCRACY!

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »

It's not sweeping all the changes under the rug and saying "You still care about Jon? Check out Dan! Dan's the shit. Fuck that other guy!"
    That's a tad hyperbolic but it's less than respectful to Jon and the fans.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    jon will totally come back here and there

they'd be dumb not to

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options

It's about showing respect for the show that fans have come to love by acknowledging that it won't be the same without Jon. I can't help but feel that I'm being manipulated - "hey look guys the name is the same, the intro is the same, the new guy even says Jon's lines! You won't even notice he's gone!" I just think that's disrespectful, to Jon and to the audience.

Also, Steam Train being on the same channel is obnoxious because I don't want to subscribe to that show. I couldn't even make it through the first episode with that guy's terrible voices. Now my subscriptions feed is going to be cluttered with a show I don't like. There's no reason it should be on the same channel.

I also can't help but get the feeling that Jon & Arin had a falling out of some kind. They really couldn't do even a single farewell episode or so much as appear in the same room together after the announcement? If they did part on good terms I think it's just really tone deaf the way they handled it.

• Options

I think for a lot of their viewers, 'Game Grumps' was less a brand and more two specific people. Swapping out one of those people for a new guy and calling it the same thing seems a bit 'off' to them in that sense, regardless of how well the new guy does.

I do think they maybe should have done a bit more of a transition.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Zython wrote: »
    Kanden wrote: »
    It seems super abrupt to me.

Yeah, exactly the reason I unsubbed.

Steam Train: Nifty idea to give other potential hosts more exposure/broaden demographic appeal.

Replacing Jon: Sad, but necessary change that may end up improving one or both channels.

Both in the same day: Incredibly abrupt and awkward transition.

Change can be good, but you can't do too much at once.

Edit: And confusing. Too much change can also be very very confusing.

See I don't get this. I don't get this at all. like, it's not what they're doing, but because they're doing it together? And somehow, because they added a thing AND Jon is leaving, that makes it bad and you need to unsub? But if they'd done one and then the other later it would have been fine?

I dunno, the most jarring thing about this to me is what seems to me like a massive overreaction from the fans. And like yeah okay Jon is leaving and that upsets people I get it, but somehow because Jon leaving Steam Train is some terrible thing and everyone is acting like them adding a new thing is somehow bad or crazy and I just don't get that at all.

All I'm saying is that it's a huge shift to the channel's dynamic in less than 24 hours. It's a bit much to take in.

That being said, I'm probably overreacting a bit to the change. However, I'm going to stay unsubbed, but try the New Grumps and treat is as a completely different show (as much as I can). If it's good in it's own right, I'll resub.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular

I'm going to have to basically disagree with 100% of paragraphs two and three. Game Grumps is a bit of brand at this point, and just because Arin and Jon had a chemistry that may have been unique that does not discount the possibility of unique chemistry between Arin and Danny. And Arin already has an established channel for an established format of playing games with another guy and commenting on them, it's called Game Grumps, why should they necessarily go and change their channel and make a new channel for Danny and Ross? It is also going to be a show in the same format. Even if they DID make a new channel for Danny and Arin I don't see why they'd have to do another spin off just for Steam Train. And maybe it IS a bit motivated by money, but why is that something to demonize and get angry over? Yes, Game Grumps is something that makes Arin money, it's basically his job at this point, and he has an established set up for that job. Some things are changing because his partner is leaving to persue personal interests that seems totally okay with him, but why does Arin and co. have to start a new channel to satisfy an odd sense of betrayal. I mean, the wording there "bad enough" like them starting a new show in addition is some sort of horrible slap in the face. Where is that coming from? Why are people feeling so betrayed and alienated? Look, if what you really liked best was Jon and Arin and you don't think it will be as good I unsubscribe, though I would urge you to give the new guy a shot and see if it isn't still worth your time even for different reasons, but why act like Arin and them spit in your face because they decided to stick with the same channel after Jon leaves, and then added a new show? Why is that some special insult?

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options

I'm going to have to basically disagree with 100% of paragraphs two and three. Game Grumps is a bit of brand at this point, and just because Arin and Jon had a chemistry that may have been unique that does not discount the possibility of unique chemistry between Arin and Danny. And Arin already has an established channel for an established format of playing games with another guy and commenting on them, it's called Game Grumps, why should they necessarily go and change their channel and make a new channel for Danny and Ross? It is also going to be a show in the same format. Even if they DID make a new channel for Danny and Arin I don't see why they'd have to do another spin off just for Steam Train. And maybe it IS a bit motivated by money, but why is that something to demonize and get angry over? Yes, Game Grumps is something that makes Arin money, it's basically his job at this point, and he has an established set up for that job. Some things are changing because his partner is leaving to persue personal interests that seems totally okay with him, but why does Arin and co. have to start a new channel to satisfy an odd sense of betrayal. I mean, the wording there "bad enough" like them starting a new show in addition is some sort of horrible slap in the face. Where is that coming from? Why are people feeling so betrayed and alienated? Look, if what you really liked best was Jon and Arin and you don't think it will be as good I unsubscribe, though I would urge you to give the new guy a shot and see if it isn't still worth your time even for different reasons, but why act like Arin and them spit in your face because they decided to stick with the same channel after Jon leaves, and then added a new show? Why is that some special insult?

It's like if your parents got divorced and you first heard about it from your dad when he introduces you to his new wife. And she has two kids so they're your siblings now, they're moving in today.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular

It's like if your parents got divorced and you first heard about it from your dad when he introduces you to his new wife. And she has two kids so they're your siblings now, they're moving in today.

Except it's not like that at all. At all. At. All.

It only resembles that in the vaguest fashion.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited June 2013

I'm going to have to assume you haven't personally been through having your parents separate because...damn.

Lars on
  • Options

analogy

a-nal-o-gy
    Noun
    1. A comparison between two things, typically on the basis of their structure and for the purpose of explanation or clarification.
    2. A correspondence or partial similarity.

Synonyms
    similarity - resemblance - likeness - parity - parallel

• Options

analogy

a-nal-o-gy
    Noun
    1. A comparison between two things, typically on the basis of their structure and for the purpose of explanation or clarification.
    2. A correspondence or partial similarity.

Synonyms
    similarity - resemblance - likeness - parity - parallel

Yeah I'm saying it was a bad analogy. That's what I was saying there. It was a ridiculous analogy, it was in fact, not analogous to the situation originally described.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular

If your mom had already told you that she was leaving and that it was an amicable split and your dad was just carrying on with his life and no one was walking away angry or hurt or anything.

Except the neighbors, for some reason they're furious that other people are just living in a way that they weren't asked permission for.

So...yeah, nothing like what you said.

Some of ya'll are acting like Jon was pushed out, did this against his will, etc, that some how Arin is being a dick by, you know...doing what he does...?

Of all the people so damn bent out of shape about this, the people who aren't are the actual people involved.

All the talk of not respecting Jon and nonsense is just that. Nonsense.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Whether or not it's warranted, people overreacting a bit to a sudden drastic change to something they like isn't really surprising.
    I don't really think acting all superior and yelling at those people is going to be super productive. Wait at least a day for people to cool down a bit.

• Options
    FirebirdFirebird Harbinger....of.....~something. Registered User regular
    Well, I took that analogy as this;

hyperbole

noun Rhetoric.
    1. obvious and intentional exaggeration.
    2. an extravagant statement or figure of speech not intended to be taken literally, as “to wait an eternity.”

I frequent cracked.com a lot, so I am used to this type of written word.

As for GG, while I am rather upset at awesome chemistry of these two will not be as common. I hope Jon does well...
    I think I will go on hiatus while I get while I acclimated to not watching Arin and Jon daily.

steam_sig.png

STEAM ID: Firebird
    XBOX Live: FirebirdLR
    Playstation: FirebirdXR
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I think Jontron on Game Grumps is way better than Jontron on the Jontron Show. I dunno how much weight this comment has since I kinda fell out of love with GG. But still, Jontron's reactions to things were pretty unique in a way. I mean, other people do that kinda crap, but something about him doesn't come across as a put-on.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    the new game grumps was great. I liked the punch out episode.

all this internet hooplah with people saying BS and "worst person ever" really begs that a ''throat punch" option be part of going online
    Criticism is one thing, and not liking it is another, but there is no excuse for the goosery of those comments.

Literally in a face to face situation, if they said the things they have said, I'd have knocked them the fuck out.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    One commenter raised a pretty good question - why didn't Arin go with Barry for Game Grumps? I think people would have taken it a lot better. (and it would have made more sense...)

• Options
    I also can't help but get the feeling that Jon & Arin had a falling out of some kind. They really couldn't do even a single farewell episode or so much as appear in the same room together after the announcement? If they did part on good terms I think it's just really tone deaf the way they handled it.

The more pragmatic YouTube commenters have posited exactly this. More from the perspective of the fact that this is like, rock band breakup deals - they're at the top of their game, they finally hit a million subs, bringing in no doubt six figure revenues at this point(far more than the JonTron channel ever came close to doing), and then boom, all of the sudden their next gig you see some new drummer you've never heard of doing all of the old songs - little to no warning.

Like, what happened? Certainly there had to be more to the story than "Jon wants to make more Trons". That's the PR reason, in the same avenue as "artistic differences".

Either way, I doubt we're going to find out from either of them. One day it's probably going to end up as a leak from someone who used to work with them, if anything.

• Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    One commenter raised a pretty good question - why didn't Arin go with Barry for Game Grumps? I think people would have taken it a lot better. (and it would have made more sense...)

Then Barry wouldn't be able to edit the videos because his workload would be through the roof. It's the same reason Drew Scanlon isn't in more Giant Bomb content. Too much other work to do.

I hate speculating on shit like this but it does seem like a way too sudden of a change to be planned very far in advance. It would be a shame if they did have a falling out. The only other thing I can think of is Jon decided the only way he'd be able to quit is if he just did it cold turkey. Maybe he's the type to be indecisive and if he said something like 'okay I'll quit after we finish Sonic' or something then he'd change his mind before the end.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular

No...that makes no sense. We all know Barry can't speak, would Arin just be talking to yellow letters every episode? I know it's been a crazy day, but calm down and think these things through.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »

No...that makes no sense. We all know Barry can't speak, would Arin just be talking to yellow letters every episode? I know it's been a crazy day, but calm down and think these things through.

Now I'm just imagining that one GameStation E3 discussion show that Arin and Barry were on involved Arin manipulating Barry like a ventriloquist's dummy and providing his voice.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    at least we got to experience the lavos fart

• Options
    Reynolds wrote: »

That would actually be pretty hilarious to see Arin try to adlib with dialogue he wouldn't see the other half of until the episode was done. Fifteen minutes of Arin babbling to himself and assuming certain scripted responses.

• Options
    Oh boy, looking at their info, I can literally see the subscription number dropping.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013

The more pragmatic YouTube commenters have posited exactly this. More from the perspective of the fact that this is like, rock band breakup deals - they're at the top of their game, they finally hit a million subs, bringing in no doubt six figure revenues at this point(far more than the JonTron channel ever came close to doing), and then boom, all of the sudden their next gig you see some new drummer you've never heard of doing all of the old songs - little to no warning.

Like, what happened? Certainly there had to be more to the story than "Jon wants to make more Trons". That's the PR reason, in the same avenue as "artistic differences".

Either way, I doubt we're going to find out from either of them. One day it's probably going to end up as a leak from someone who used to work with them, if anything.

Jon had been talking about making more JonTrons for a while, but I agree it does seem a bit sudden. Well, a lot sudden. Best-case scenario they decided to see if Grumps would work as a brand instead of just two guys, possibly with rotating hosts, but I do think both the "new" Game Grumps and Steam Train would have been better received as new channels. Like, a better way to make the announcement would have been to have a video, with both of the grumps explaining that Jon is taking a hiatus from Grumping to work on his own stuff, then introduce the TWO ALL NEW CHANNELS, WOO, YEAH! But I can see why they'd be reluctant to let go of the channel that's been so successful so far. This is pretty much exactly what happened when Phillip Defranco tried to change his daily show into a bigger show with multiple segments daily but the fans didn't like it. He ended up keeping the PDS as a daily show and made SourceFed its own seperate thing which has now split off into several more channels through the process of youtube mitosis.

Anyway, if we're going with bad analogies I prefer the one Yahtzee once used; its like one of my family members has been replaced by a Walrus and I'm the only one who seems to notice.

Also, as of this post the sub counter is at 1,011,780. Will be interested to see how it moves now, and in which direction.

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    What was the subscriber count originally?

Edit: I know after watching the new episodes that I am not enthused at all. I am heavily thinking of unsubscribing at this point. Especially as it seems immensely fishy to go down like this.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    Also, as of this post the sub counter is at 1,011,780. Will be interested to see how it moves now, and in which direction.

I see 1,010,357 at the moment. It was around 10,010,430 when I posted before.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    I need to know if Danny has taken Jon's legal title of Fartner or not.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    agoaj wrote: »
    I need to know if Danny has taken Jon's legal title of Fartner or not.

Do you want me to lose my job?

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    I couldn't watch Steam Train at all, but I tried. Definitely not a fan of those two. Might just be a bad choice of game, though.

uyvfOQy.png
This discussion has been closed.