As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Airing Of Grievances In Public Conversation Form (Potentially NSFW or NSF56K)

• R0land1188R0land1188 Registered User regular
    Counterblogish thing?

Not really defending him but it may have been satire that fell on its face. Doesn't make it okay.

steam_sig.png
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    After posting the nominees yesterday, we received thousands of votes on Twitter, Facebook, and here, due in part to the help of the Crimson Bolt himself, Rainn Wilson, who spread the word on Twitter. So, without further ado, here are the 50 Superheroes you are just dying to eff:
    fans voted on it

i'm finding the idea of it being satire less and less likely

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Well the post's been taken down. I'm hoping vainly that he'll come out with an apology or something. He's been silent on Twitter all of today.

• WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I'm surprised, to be honest

he didn't seem like that kind of dude

• CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    The whole H'el thing reminds me of the typical "Here's one of your kind only he's stronger, faster and better than you, good luck beating him". You see this in various comics now and then and in things like anime or manga every other day.

• sweetcreamscoopssweetcreamscoops Registered User regular
    I'm trying to think whether or not gunn is terrible or not. I remember him saying something that felt off about the Lara Croft rape comment. He also wrote lollipop chainsaw which I'm 50/50 on. But reading some of the list, most of it comes off as unfunny and childish but not really worthy of a scandal. It's mostly about him shoehorning his penis into every entry.

God, that came out wrong.

• cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    Turambar wrote: »
    Brock isn't a dark mirror of Peter, but Venom is a dark mirror of Spider-Man
    It comes from the symbiote first bonding to Peter and resenting him for rejecting it

I've always seen the symbiote as more of a scorned lover than a dark mirror version. Talk about your crazy ex...

MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    SURPRISING NO ONE

Why?

Some of the reaction I'd seen on twitter boils down to "Well, of course he's a homophobic, slut shaming, mysoginist, bastard, just look at his movies!" Which rubs me the wrong way. Granted, I think from his work I've only seen Super and Slither, but neither seemed too far out there.

And it's hard for me to get really worked up over the original posting. It strikes me less of the whole Tony Harris incident, and more like something people used to accuse Kevin Smith of doing in his movies back when he was somewhat relevant. I mean, when he gets to nightwing, he chose a picture of his ass, and then admits that "yeah, I'll tap that."

Also, can someone explain to me the slut shaming part?

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Yeah, I just never got this from Gunn's movies that I saw, so this automatic "he's always been this way" just doesn't click with me. While it was fan votes, it could still be satire. Some of it sure seems that way to me at least. It doesn't preclude the stuff from being bad or poor (Batwoman) or incredibly graphic in some places (Invisible Woman), but in the case of the Gambit one it seems to me he's more upset that his girlfriend voted for Gambit out of all the heroes, and he's a little defensive about it. I mean his Tigra one is more about how badly she has been written over the years, making it the comic writer equivalent of daddy issues. And then you have him picking the more T&A specific images for the list, it just steers it more towards satire and how some of the women are treated in the comics than just being a dude talking about sexing up comic characters.

This just seems a lot different than the Harris post, and given that it was sitting there for over a year with not really being picked up on anyone's radar (I'd have to think with Rainn Wilson tweeting about it a year ago around the time of Super, a movie based on a guy becoming a costumed vigilante, this would have made more headlines in comic bubble of the internet), it seems like it was someone looking for it as a big gotcha.

• Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    I'm going to gripe that anything possibly making Guardians suck makes me angry, because I want this movie to be so good.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    i dont know. it just reads like satire written by someone without the humor ability to pull it off.

the nightwing one is the only one that really pulls it off.

everything else either falls flat or uses a terrible basis for a joke.

initiatefailure on
    What rule # is it that says "The Internet Never Forgets"? If you are involved in a job that puts you into the public eye, then you really, really need to think about what you put on the Internet. So far, Gunn has given me a Mel Gibson impression: Can make some damn good movies, but not someone you want to hang around with.

• CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    I don't think he's down there with Mel Gibson just yet, not until some particularly unpleasant phone calls come out

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    He's just at the "drunk Mel Gibson pulled over for DUI" phase?

• MetalMagusMetalMagus Too Serious Registered User regular
    While doing the dishes last night, I had the following train of thought if the Gunn thing turns out to be earnest instead of low-brow satire.

Main stream media picks up the story and Marvel is forced to let Gunn go due to "irreconcilable differences."

Gunn goes off his rocker, blasts feminists, overly sensitive "pussies" and those cowards at Marvel. Gets invited on Fox News to talk about how bullshit all this Political Correctness is.

Suits at WB realize he's free, gets comics, hates Marvel now, is a hot name, is "edgy."

Gun is invited to meet with WB Suits and Dan Didio. "Mr. Gunn, we're looking for a director for our Justice League movie. Tell me, have you read Identity Crises?"

It's like, beautiful and terrible at the same time - like a tarantula.

Tarantulas aren't deadly!

To their prey they are!

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    prv14396_pg6.jpg
    prv14396_pg7.jpg
    God dammit. I hate your art so much Steve Dillon.

I mean Way's writing doesn't seem good but it seems like a step up from, say, Wolverine: Origins but even if I wasn't going to buy other, better titles instead Dillon's art is the ultimate deterrent

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    Dang Flash, that guy only had a knife! Did you really need to give him two in the chest?

I was gonna get all mad over Flash being introduced via murdering a bunch of pirates

then I remembered that is exactly what happens in the first issue of Venom, subbing terrorists for pirates.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    Heh. I like Dillon's art. I think it grew on me through reading Preacher.

And speaking of Wolverine: Origins, I really liked his art during the Deadpool arc.

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
    Dillon can fit a specific style of book. Preacher is in that style.

Anything with Venom, Deadpool and a Hulk is not.

CYpGAPn.png
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I was gonna get all mad over Flash being introduced via murdering a bunch of pirates

then I remembered that is exactly what happens in the first issue of Venom, subbing terrorists for pirates.

I thought the first issue of Venom involved him trying to rescue a guy from the middle of a civil war?

Blankzilla wrote: »

I thought the first issue of Venom involved him trying to rescue a guy from the middle of a civil war?
    Which he did by murdering the hell out of a bunch of terrorists.

And he wasn't really rescuing so much as capturing for the military to then interrogate.

CYpGAPn.png
    I guess terrorists isn't the right word

Revolutionaries?

They were dudes with guns shooting civillians and old ladies and generally Bad Dudes

CYpGAPn.png
    Yeah I was just thinking. Once you're waging actual warfare, you're not really a terrorist anymore.

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    I really don't like the direction that Venom is going recently with its emphasis on supernatural storylines, not to mention the unrelentingly depressing personal life.

Man, remember when Flash Thompson was a fun character?

Not really. His life kind of sucked ever since Venom launched. The only time he was straight up fun was that ASM .1 issue and also maybe Secret Avengers

CYpGAPn.png
    Remember that fun storyline where his legs got blown off in Iraq? Or that storyline where he became an alcoholic and had a drunk driving accident? Or that other fun storyline where he went to Vietnam?

And I kinda dig Venom becoming supernatural Spider-Man. Alien symbiote bonded ex-black ops soldier hunting demons is a perfectly insane comic books thing.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    It just seems to me that a guy who spent his teen years as the president of the Spider-Man fanclub ought to enjoy basically being Spider-Man once in a while.

And yeah, even before his Iraq storyline there were dark elements to his story, but he had a sense of humor and a bit goofy. Now that he has his own book, he's dour all of the time.

He has been pretty snarky in Venom, in my opinion

CYpGAPn.png
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Well Remender left him in a pretty fucked up place at the end of the Savage Six arc.

27.1 seemed to be about Flash hitting bottom and now he's gonna leave new york to try and rebuild his life.

I hope at least

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    When Kaine is having the best life of the Spidey triplets, something's amiss.

I just wish the hitting bottom and bouncing back aspect of comics would focus more on bouncing back before pushing down again. You can still do drama and characterization that doesn't revolve around breaking a character down or tearing up their world. This is why the first 12 Waid DD issues were so good, and Hawkeye's solo series so far, and why Hickman's FF run was so good.

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    A different perspective on the James Gunn situation: http://badassdigest.com/2012/11/29/borders-line-on-james-gunn-satire-and-sexism/

Anyways, that Thunderbolts preview looks okay, not really sure why it's groan worthy aside from "oh no it's steve dillon"

I think Venom looks terrible and it has no sense of motion at all which is a big deal in comics

I mean it ain't Liefeld or anything but I think the dude is a shit choice for superhero books and ones starring a Hulk in particular

CYpGAPn.png
    I'm just upset that Thunderbolts is dropping the Big Boss look for Frank.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    what?! damn it thunderbolts

A different perspective on the James Gunn situation: http://badassdigest.com/2012/11/29/borders-line-on-james-gunn-satire-and-sexism/

Anyways, that Thunderbolts preview looks okay, not really sure why it's groan worthy aside from "oh no it's steve dillon"

That's a good article on the whole thing, adding some more stuff from someone who has followed Gunn more than others probably have, and this part stood out the most:
    The Mary Sue author Susana Polo said a post on the Lady Geek Girl brought Gunn's poll to her attention, and both posts read as if written by someone who doesn't know much about James Gunn. And I don't blame them for that. He's not a necessarily big name, and if I were unfamiliar with Gunn's past works, I'd be appalled at what he wrote, too. The Lady Geek Girl post, written by Lady Saika, says, "I find myself burdened with the glorious purpose of tearing a rich white guy I don’t know a new asshole on the internet."

And I think therein lies the difference in the way we're perceiving Gunn's intent. I think of Gunn as an underdog, a guy who has more than paid his dues, working his way through a bunch of drudge jobs equipped with an irreverent sense of humor and a load of talent. Polo and Saika think of him as just another arrogant, privileged Hollywood fatcat trying to edge us out of our hard-won, tiny corner of geekdom.

So it almost seems like the person who tried to make this out to be a big thing was doing it out of a "take that, fatcat 1%!" malice, and in some ways is like how Harris got upset at those fake con-girls getting into their hobby through a much more corporate path, even though he's always been around comics given what he's done.

It's just this emergence of a whole one strike and you're out thing that's really troubling.

This discussion has been closed.