As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Best Buy Discontinues PS3 20GB

GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, ProbablyWatertown, WIRegistered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/03/17/best-buy-done-with-ps3-20gb/
The hard evidence is starting to flow in that retailers have had about enough from the PS3's 20GB model. A Best Buy employee sent us a printout from their computer system showing the status of the 20GB model as "discontinued." We confirmed the printout information by contacting three separate stores. This does not mean the 20GB PS3 model's production has been discontinued -- just that Best Buy will no longer carry it.

When Joystiq spoke with Sony's David Karraker earlier this week he told us, "Overwhelmingly, retailers have been requesting the 60GB model, the mix has been about 80 percent 60GB, 20 percent 20GB retailer orders." With Best Buy's decision to no longer carry the unit, a major retailer has walked away from the 20GB table, obviously the margins were better on the 60GB model. Sony says they are still producing 20GB models.

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
Gosling on

• Options
    TheMorningStarTheMorningStar Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I hope other retailers don't follow suit, it'll take forever before I can afford one then.

TheMorningStar on
  • Options
    hambonehambone Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It won't take forever if they come to their senses and drop the price, which is more likely to happen when retailers start putting pressure on them.

hambone on
    Just a bunch of intoxicated pigeons.
  • Options
    Tw4winTw4win Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Pardon my ignorance but is there a major difference between the 20GB version and the 60GB version, other than HD size? Is it like the difference between the Core and Premium 360 systems?

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2007
    Tw4win wrote: »
    Pardon my ignorance but is there a major difference between the 20GB version and the 60GB version, other than HD size? Is it like the difference between the Core and Premium 360 systems?
    I believe there are other differences, but I can't seem to remember them.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

WiFi and MSPD card reader.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    No built in WiFi in the 20GB, is there?

Edit: zomg beat'd

ben0207 on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It seems to me, that the average consumer who would think about getting a ps3, almost always want to get the 60 gig version. Maybe it has to do with the 360 and how it's core model was gimped, they assume that the 20 gig version is gimped as well.
    This is just from the random people I talk to at work though.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Honestly, that's not a huge disadvantage, from my perspective. WiFi is nice but I'm sure that there will eventually be a 3rd party solution to that. As for the MSPD, I couldn't care less...

The issue is the HD space, especially if certain games/downloads are going to use a lot of it. Then again, managing the space couldn't be that hard and the price difference between the 20 & 60GB models is about $100, right? 40GB of storage isn't worth $100, IMO.

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Honestly, that's not a huge disadvantage, from my perspective. WiFi is nice but I'm sure that there will eventually be a 3rd party solution to that. As for the MSPD, I couldn't care less...

The issue is the HD space, especially if certain games/downloads are going to use a lot of it. Then again, managing the space couldn't be that hard and the price difference between the 20 & 60GB models is about $100, right? 40GB of storage isn't worth $100, IMO.

Also, I could have sworn that replacing the PS3 HDD with a larger HDD was a painless process, though I may be wrong.
    And you can still just use a Wireless Wifi adaptor on the 20 gig version, you just have to buy it separately. The 60 gig version is built in, which is nice.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    What is the reason for discontinuing it? Was it selling that poorly?

Mace1370 on
  • Options
    hambonehambone Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yeah, a quick search shows that any 2.5" SATA notebook HDD can be swapped into the PS3.

There only one screw holding the HD caddy in place, and the system automatically formats the HD when you boot it up.

80 gig drives at Newegg are 60 bucks.

hambone on
    Just a bunch of intoxicated pigeons.
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    But because the 20 GB version doesn't have built in wifi, doesn't that mean it can't communicate with the psp? Or do the wifi adapters let it.

Veevee on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Veevee wrote: »
    But because the 20 GB version doesn't have built in wifi, doesn't that mean it can't communicate with the psp? Or do the wifi adapters let it.

WiFi adapters don't work, but you can use a USB cable to connect to the PSP.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Am I the only one who thinks this is very bad for Sony?

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Am I the only one who thinks this is very bad for Sony?

I'd say so and bad for the consumer.

When the 360 was released the best value was the more expensive premium system. However, it seems that with the PS3, the 20GB system is just as good a value, if not better than the more expensive system. Even assuming that you spring for a bigger HD it's still a better value in the long run. The only drawback I can see is the PSP thing but using a USB cable isn't that bad.

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png