As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - New Lang Syne

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited November 2012 in The Penny Arcade Hub

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Auld Lang Syne is one of the finest pieces of music ever conceived by man.

That is all.

Carry on with your Video Game Web Comics.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Foever, eh? The Tychpos are happening a little more frequently than they used to, it seems.

Nice comic though.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    Umm, just hit this thread and could have sworn the last panels armor was colored in on the comic here, but not on the main comic, refreshed it and this one has no color now too.

• Options
    Halfmex wrote: »
    Foever, eh? The Tychpos are happening a little more frequently than they used to, it seems.

Nice comic though.

Pretty sure that's intentional, there also isn't any punctuation in that speech bubble of Gabe's character.

• Options
    SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular

Nice comic though.

Also, what's that between the "h" and "i" in "This" on the second panel?

But yeah, first panel is Gabe talking in game, so the lack of punctuation and possibly even the spelling error are possibly intentional. Blame Gabe for his lack of in game spelling and grammar.

• Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »

Nice comic though.

Pretty sure that's intentional, there also isn't any punctuation in that speech bubble of Gabe's character.

Gabe wrote:
    @tychobrahe has a Tychpo in today's strip. Last time I told him he should donate $100 to Child's Play each time he messes up.
    Tycho wrote:
    @cwgabriel That's fair.

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I...I don't think I really get this comic. I mean, I understand the joke but shouldn't the thing in panel three be the same thing in panel 1? CONFUSOTRON! ENGAGE!

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Panel 2 is saying he has identified another crazy mount, separate from the first panel one. :P

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    It's always refreshing to see that G&T don't feel the need to hop on the Halo- and Wow-hating bandwagons. I'm not saying they are perfect games, but so many gamers feel the need to isolate other gamers into stereotypes. Both are groundbreaking and well-built games, even if they aren't ones personal cup of tea. And the biggest criticism anyone can really level at them is that they have been copied so many times.

• Options
    DristanDristan Designer Asheville, NCRegistered User regular
    Great comic but I'm struggling to figure out what panel three is. Either it's an entirely fictitious creature, a Worgen warrior with...horns, or a Pandaren warrior with... horns?

• Options
    JortalusJortalus Registered User regular
    Dristan wrote: »
    Great comic but I'm struggling to figure out what panel three is. Either it's an entirely fictitious creature, a Worgen warrior with...horns, or a Pandaren warrior with... horns?

I'm pretty sure it's meant to be the refer a friend Onyx Guardian mount. Since he says that it's a mount but nobody's riding it.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I love this comic strip so much, oh goodness.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    I'm fairly confident there's a helm like that with horns part of the faceplate.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    This comic is basically two comics (Panel 1, Panels 2+3), and both are top-notch.

FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
  • Options
    B:L wrote: »

Nice comic though.

Gabe wrote:
    @tychobrahe has a Tychpo in today's strip. Last time I told him he should donate $100 to Child's Play each time he messes up.
    Tycho wrote:
    @cwgabriel That's fair.

I stand corrected! That'll teach me to defend Tychpos.

Anyway, how was Mists of Pandaria received? I haven't followed the coverage for it at all.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Anyway, how was Mists of Pandaria received? I haven't followed the coverage for it at all.

'Mixed' is a nice way to put it.

'Polarizing' is more accurate.

But, the battlechest is dirt cheap and the expansion is $20 for the holidays ....

If you have the cash to spare, check it out. Worse thing? You don't play again till the next patch.

• Options
    Polarizing? Who doesn't like it?

Or do you mean the people who just hate the pandas.

• Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    I think he means that the audience is split between the people who like the new expansion and are really annoyed with all the little things that can make the experience really tedious (faction gating, raid gating, unusually small reputation gains for daily quests...) and the people that like the new expansion and don't mind it that much.

OldSlacker on
  • Options
    ScunosiScunosi WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Jortalus wrote: »

I'm pretty sure it's meant to be the refer a friend Onyx Guardian mount. Since he says that it's a mount but nobody's riding it.
    Oh my goodness you're most likely right. Since the creature looked more like it was standing on two legs (since we're only seeing a bust) I honestly thought it was a Charr from GW2 and that it was some...strange...joke about how they immediately went back to not-WoW?
    The Nightwing makes a lot more sense though. I just wasn't reading panel 2 as a transition; I thought they were still talking about the Cloud Serpent.

I just remembered/fact-checked myself on another source of confusion. The Nightwing doesn't actually have horns. It's got a sorta dorky helm/faceplate thing, but not Tauren/Charr/Wyvern-sized horns. So that wasn't helping with my recognition issues.
    Of course, seeing as they haven't played in a while, I can't really blame him for not getting it perfect. :P

Scunosi on
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    B:L wrote: »

Nice comic though.

Gabe wrote:
    Tycho wrote:
    @cwgabriel That's fair.

I stand corrected! That'll teach me to defend Tychpos.

It is Quite Good. However, it was not quite as revolutionary as some of the previous expansions. There's now an exhausting amount of dailies at level 90 that got boring after week 2, though.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    I think he means that the audience is split between the people who like the new expansion and are really annoyed with all the little things that can make the experience really tedious (faction gating, raid gating, unusually small reputation gains for daily quests...) and the people that like the new expansion and don't mind it that much.

There is always stuff like that. I still say it's by far their best expansion. I haven't seen anyone complaining other than small nit-picky gripes.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    JormungandrJormungandr Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    There is always stuff like that. I still say it's by far their best expansion. I haven't seen anyone complaining other than small nit-picky gripes.

Yeah, I'm considering taking another look myself. I quit at the beginning of Cata for real-life time constraint reasons. I was a healer in a good semi-competitive guild from vanilla through WotLK (server firsts, multiple nights of 3 hr raids per week, etc), and work kicked my ass soon after Cata came out, so I quit "for a while" and haven't really looked back until now.

I don't like a lot of the changes I've read about (some of the talent tree revamps, some of the reductions in difficulty, the change to make 10-man raids have the same or more rewards per capita than 25-man, etc.), and I've had friends quit over them, but to be fair I haven't actually tried them.

My guild just disbanded a few weeks ago since they'd dropped to server 2nd after I quit (unrelated, honest, even I don't have that big of an ego) and they were a 25-man. Recruiting during Cataclysm for 25 man guilds that weren't server first, or world top X has been brutal, apparently. They transitioned, kicking and screaming, into a 10-man guild towards the end of Cata, as the server first 25-man poached a lot of their good players once they weren't able to consistently field enough people for their scheduled 25-man raids. Once they did that, though, nobody seemed to be having nearly as much fun, so things just kind of snowballed, and even the 10 man was just disbanded recently.

That being said, the raid finder level of commitment might be more my speed now-a-days when I have less time to spend. And while I always liked putting points in talent trees, and playing around with "non-standard" builds for specific purposes, ultimately people gravitated to cookie cutter specs anyway, so the change might not feel as draconian as it seems reading about it. I might be able to find enough of the old crew still playing to try the challenge dungeons, which sound roughly like the timed baron run before we overgeared it, which was probably the most fun I've had in 5-man dungeons.

So yeah, I'd probably be like Gabe and Tycho in the comic if/when I do go back. So much has changed, I can't even imagine. ;)

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    Scunosi wrote: »

Oh my goodness you're most likely right. Since the creature looked more like it was standing on two legs (since we're only seeing a bust) I honestly thought it was a Charr from GW2 and that it was some...strange...joke about how they immediately went back to not-WoW?
    The Nightwing makes a lot more sense though. I just wasn't reading panel 2 as a transition; I thought they were still talking about the Cloud Serpent.

I just remembered/fact-checked myself on another source of confusion. The Nightwing doesn't actually have horns. It's got a sorta dorky helm/faceplate thing, but not Tauren/Charr/Wyvern-sized horns. So that wasn't helping with my recognition issues.
    Of course, seeing as they haven't played in a while, I can't really blame him for not getting it perfect. :P
    Soooo can we get a picture of this mount you guys think it is? Google search isn't finding a good picture.

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    PikaPuff wrote: »

Soooo can we get a picture of this mount you guys think it is? Google search isn't finding a good picture.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/services/recruit-a-friend/

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Jormungandr:
    First or nothing, eh? Man, remind me why I quit, why doncha...
    (Very much a 'casual' player here - I was there to play tourist and level alts, not grind the endgame.)

Good luck to you, though, if you end up liking MoP.

• Options
    JormungandrJormungandr Registered User regular
    Jormungandr:
    First or nothing, eh? Man, remind me why I quit, why doncha...
    (Very much a 'casual' player here - I was there to play tourist and level alts, not grind the endgame.)

Good luck to you, though, if you end up liking MoP.

Heh. I went and reread my message, and yeah, it comes off that way. To clarify a bit : Our guild was number one on the server off and on for a couple of expansions (we were jockeying back and forth with another guild most of that time, so it changed week to week sometimes.). The reason it disbanded was lack of people and lack of interest because the people who were left wanted to still do 25 mans, but couldn't get enough players on a regular basis to do that, so had to settle for doing 10-mans which caused hurt feelings, etc.

The reason *that* happened is that (apparently -- remember I quit towards the beginning of Cataclysm) 25-man interest is way down among people looking for guilds, so only the top guild on a server, or top few on some of the more competitive / highly ranked in the world servers get a steady stream of applicants these days. So through natural attrition (me, people like me, guild-hoppers, people getting bored with the game, etc) the size of the guild shrank quicker than new people were coming in through Cataclysm and eventually was too small. Switching to a 10-man guild meant that less people could raid together, the raids were smaller and had a different sort of tone than the bigger 25-man ones did, etc. And that's why the guild disbanded. If that makes sense.

It wasn't because "Oh man, we're server 2nd, our e-peens are being stroked enough. That's it, no sense hanging around with these losers any more." It was more because of the changing nature of 25-man guild recruiting / retention, and the fact that the guild had a pretty strict set of requirements to join / remain a member, which included essentially "don't be a dick" which disqualifies more applicants than you'd think. :)

Like I said, I'm pretty sure I'll find things I enjoy if/when I go back. I don't have the time to spend on 3-4 hr raids any more, especially not multiple times per week, but it seems like the game has changed to accommodate that more than it ever did back in vanilla / BC, or even in Wrath. So bad changes for my ex-guild / online friends, but possibly good changes for me.

• Options
    ScunosiScunosi WashingtonRegistered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    PikaPuff wrote: »

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/services/recruit-a-friend/
    Or just be sure to Google "Heart of the Nightwing" instead of "Nightwing." The latter is fairly generic and would probably get a lot of non-WoW stuff. The former will get you lots of nice pictures and links from WoWHead and such, and doesn't even need any additional WoW tags. :D