As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

God of War style games that are actually awesome?

Hey all,

I just played through The Walking Dead and feel a bit emotionally drained. So what else could cheer me up but a hack and slash actioner full of awesome set pieces! Unfortunately, I've burned through all of the god of war games, including the psp games (the second one is particularly worth your time).

What games are similar to God of war and offer similar thrills? I've actually never played Devil may cry, so I'm thinking of starting there.

• mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Castlevania: Lords of Shadow is pretty awesome.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    bayonetta bayonetta bayonetta

bayonetta

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    What Ah_Pook said. Bayonetta is the best.

• CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Dante's Inferno by the Dead Space guys.

I can't speak to forum consensus on it, but having read the Divine Comedy I enjoyed their take on it and it was essentially another God of War game, only Christian rather then Greek. Same sort of unlocks and weapons, magic, visceral combat, puzzles, bosses, boobs, etc.

488W936.png
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    I always feel weird suggesting DMC or Bayonetta for someone looking for GoW type stuff. Maybe it's just me but they seem to fill a more technical fighting game style of combat.

I think I'm just being a bit pedantic.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    its true, bayonetta is significantly more technically demanding than a GOW game.

• Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Lords of Shadow bored me, as it's ridiculously long, but you may like it.

Dante's Inferno is also an option, if you're looking for an incredibly blatant GoW clone. It's nowhere near as good as any of the GoWs but it's still better than all the other GoW clones, like Wolverine and Conan.

Bayonetta would be my top recommendation though. If you can get past the stupid plot and corny dialogue, the combat system is amazing.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Darksiders I / II are pretty close and good games too.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • HtownHtown Registered User regular
    Garshasp: The Monster Slahahahahahaha

Damnit so close.

steam_sig.png
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Samurai Western if you have a PS2.

wVEsyIc.png
  • CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    Castlevania: Lord of Shadows is great (personally, I like it more than GoW), it's just the first few levels that are kind of annoying. Bayonetta is probably the best action game of this generation, though it is only like God of War in that it's a 3rd person fighting game.

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Another vote for Lords of Shadow.

If you want something technical, awesome, and crazy, go for Bayonetta.

But if you want a huge game with beautiful art and nice music and awesome set pieces on top of a rock-solid but not-too-complex combat system (like God of War) then Castlevania: Lords of Shadow does GoW better than GoW does.

It's also super nice because it's a very European take on European myth, and the perspective on the hero is almost relentlessly Catholic. Some people complain that it doesn't feel as faux-Japan-goth as IGA's Castlevanias, but I'm enchanted by the dark fairy tale feel of it all. It's also a super respectful and consistent treatment of the primary ideas behind Dracula as a character.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Bayonetta and Castlevania LoS. Jeez, sometimes I wish I didnt trade it in because I miss the castle, scenery and overall mood of LoS.

Just dont buy, or even Youtube the DLC. It may very well be removed from canon with how bad it is.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    The DLC is unnecessary and poorly balanced.

Let the mystery between the games remain.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Another vote for Lords of Shadow.

If you want something technical, awesome, and crazy, go for Bayonetta.

But if you want a huge game with beautiful art and nice music and awesome set pieces on top of a rock-solid but not-too-complex combat system (like God of War) then Castlevania: Lords of Shadow does GoW better than GoW does.

It's also super nice because it's a very European take on European myth, and the perspective on the hero is almost relentlessly Catholic. Some people complain that it doesn't feel as faux-Japan-goth as IGA's Castlevanias, but I'm enchanted by the dark fairy tale feel of it all. It's also a super respectful and consistent treatment of the primary ideas behind Dracula as a character.

it's true; though the narrative surrounding Dracula was wack - in fact, when I got to that part, I yelled THAT'S WACKULA at the screen - thematically it works pretty well

I enjoyed the game a lot, though it is plagued by "traversal" systems as many games in this genre are. Darksiders I and II are both guilty of this as well. Those sort of faux-platforming sections where your character does everything for you, and there's no need for any real timing or skill, and since every interactive object is projecting itself from the environment in a very obvious way, there's no puzzle-solving either. It's just busy work.

But that is pretty much the only part that wasn't good about Lords of Shadow! It got surprisingly challenging by the end. I might actually pick up a copy soon, having rented it the first time.

I would also echo the suggestions for Bayonetta and Devil May Cry 4 (and 3, which is from the PS2 generation but I believe there's a remake on Xbox Live and maybe other services?) for the more technical and combat-oriented kind of game, although there's plenty of hilarious spectacle involved there too.

Evil Multifarious on
  • KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    I would also echo the suggestions for Bayonetta and Devil May Cry 4 (and 3, which is from the PS2 generation but I believe there's a remake on Xbox Live and maybe other services?) for the more technical and combat-oriented kind of game, although there's plenty of hilarious spectacle involved there too.

DMC has a HD-pack out, actually. DMC 1/2/3 on 360 and PS3. Get that if you're getting DMC, I guess.

I bought a 360 this summer just because I wanted to play controller-based third person action games. Still haven't played any of the games I have, except Splatterhouse and Lollipop Chainsaw. I like 'em both. If you just want to dumb-punch stuff real hard in what passes for faces, Splatterhouse is a cheap buy these days. Lollipop seems far more complicated, and it has a great sense of humour. Can't speak to anything else, unfortunately.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • stormbringerstormbringer Registered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    bayonetta bayonetta bayonetta

bayonetta

Absolutely get this. Best 3rd person fighter of this or even the last generation in my mind.

• JediabiwanJediabiwan Registered User regular
    DMC is awesome. Everybody loves 3, but I am almost prefer 4. Anyways both are incredibly great games and require no emotional commitment whatsoever. Crazy good combat system and the cut-scenes are especially entertaining. Also, the first Darksiders is a great game and if you have a PC you can get it for $1. You'll really want a controller tho.

• ColumnColumn Registered User regular
    The short TLDR list I'm guessing I'll be echoing like crazy given what I saw when skimming is, in order, 1.) Bayonetta and God Hand; 3.) Devil May Cry 1, 3 and 4 (2 gets a lot more hate than it deserves because, had it been any other series, it's a mediocre bargain bin game. Being DMC there's no reason it should be as "meh" as it is. Then again, I'm biased as I liked the female character and want to see her come back in a proper DMC); 4.) Ninja Gaiden series; 5.) Castlevania: Lords of Shadow; 6.) Other stuff like LoliPop Chainsaw I've yet to play.
    ***Honorable mention Vanquish. You can, to a certain extent with skill, turn it into as much or as little of a third-person shooter as you want the better you get at it.

The longer explanations are spoilered below.
    You need to figure out what it is you liked about God of War so much. I mindlessly play through action games and cast a very subjective yay or nay for the combat engine. It's really all I care about. I can't play any GoW without feeling like it's on par with DMC2 at best. GoW feels slow and clunky to me. A friend of mine likes Bayo, God Hand, and DMC as much as I do, but also loves GoW equally. While its obvious everyone has personal bias for gaming, if you play something people recommend here and think it's a POS after it gets a glowing recommendation, don't be surprised; it seems like the bias kicks in harder in this genre than a lot of other places. Especially with polarizing results rather than a notch or two lower or higher on the spectrum of good to bad.

Bayonetta gets the DMC formula down perfect. I've yet to play another game I've felt that in control of my character in, except for God Hand which comes damn close. You get a parry system like the last minute blocking in GoW and, while not exactly the same, the whip and some other stuff gives you some range like the chain swords Kratos has. You can also use the difficulty to make the game one of the most challenging action games you will ever play or one of the easiest. Along the way you can also make it the most technical or brain dead as well. It really has something for everyone action wise.

God Hand is, arguably, more of a brawler given the setup. But, if you can get it on PS2 or PS3 (I don't think the PS3 version has any issues at least) it's also easily one of the best action games ever. Great control of the character, ton of customization for your attacks and combos. It's slightly more on the technical side even at the easiest settings, but in a good way. You can then go from there to make it (much) more challenging than a fun romp. God Hand also deserves special mention for how wacky it is in a good way. The only game that comes close to matching it in presentation and humor is Bayonetta, but even then, God Hand is really in a league of its own there.

The DMC series is basically Bayonetta light at this point. Still very, very fun though. 3 and 4 have the best combat engines. Like Bayonetta they offer a parry system with Royal Guard if that matters to you. 1 is good for its age and, if you like to get technical, has some good challenge still. I also like the devil trigger forms based on melee weapons it offers, but that's pretty much aesthetics. 2 is easily the weakest entry in the series. You can YouTube the cut-scenes if you care about them.

Ninja Gaiden (barring the newest one I haven't played and only hear bad things about) may be worth trying too. I've never liked them, but couldn't give a real reason why. Fast paced, can be very technical and challenging, look good in motion. Combat system just never gave me the WOW! factor DMC, God Hand, and Bayo still do. I do like what I've played of them better than GoW though.

Castlevania: Lord of Shadows feels more unique to me than anything else. I've onyl ever played the demo though. I like it a little better than GoW, maybe would rank it as high as NG if I could play more of the full game without a purchase. The weapon reminded me of a slightly faster version of the GoW chain swords, so there is that for GoW fans. If you liked GoW hard to think you wouldn't like it, but, opinions and all.

Vanquish is first and foremost a third-person shooter but so unlike any other. You can play it slow like your average shooter if you want, and it's still fun. But where it really shines is sliding around the map like crazy, meleeing robots, then slow-mo baseball slide under the legs of a giant robot using your futuristic not-M60 to blow it up, then flip kicking a smaller robot or soldier into cover. I'd mess around with the demo if that's still possible. Like God Hand, it plays different, and in this case quite different, but there's so much action going on it's worth looking at.

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    I really enjoyed Space Marine. Fandom (or at least some knowledge) of the Warhammer 40,000 universe may be a prerequisite, though. There are some really really excellent set pieces where you're brawling through an all out war between three separate factions.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Hey all,

I just played through The Walking Dead and feel a bit emotionally drained. So what else could cheer me up but a hack and slash actioner full of awesome set pieces! Unfortunately, I've burned through all of the god of war games, including the psp games (the second one is particularly worth your time).

What games are similar to God of war and offer similar thrills? I've actually never played Devil may cry, so I'm thinking of starting there.

Godhand is incredibly fun, funny, badass and wacky. Polar opposite of Walking Dead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fb6FWPeoM64

If that doesn't sell you, nothing will.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Space Marine's a bit more Gears of War than God of War, but the melee combat is both gory and satisfying as hell.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine for the 360/PS3 was a pretty decent God of War clone. Not as nuanced combat as Bayonetta or God Hand but it's a game you can throw in and just enjoy stabbing the hell out of dudes for a few hours.

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Space Marine's a bit more Gears of War than God of War...

That's true I suppose, although that can change depending on your loadout and playstyle. If you always pick up the Thunder Hammer when it's available, the amount of shooting you do in the game drops off a lot. Then again, they don't really open up your weapon options until later in the game.

BloodySloth on
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Ninja Gaiden on the Xbox was better than God of War before God of War even came out. Then again I never cared for God of Wars hard on for quick time events.

(She/Her)
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Hey all,

Godhand is incredibly fun, funny, badass and wacky. Polar opposite of Walking Dead.

If that doesn't sell you, nothing will.

God Hand is completely amazing.

It is also a very very challenging game.

I'll let this guy and his amusing accent elaborate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBqB5LUKh8A

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    That's the review that convinced me to buy it. :p

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Oh god, I nicknamed the family chihuahua "Juju" because of Godhand :D

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    I'd also like to toss out a recommendation for Lords of Shadow. It definitely has its flaws, but I ended up it enjoying it much more than any of the GoWs.

I think what really made the game work for me was the world. A lot of beautiful art went into this game, and it shows. They also included a bestiary, detailing the mythology of each enemy. It really feels like a lot of love for the source material went into this game. Oh, and Patrick Stewart's voice work is amazing.

Edit: Bayonetta and God Hand are also amazing games which are well-worth your time. However, I consider them very different from God of War and Lords of Shadow type games.

Rex Dart on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    bayonetaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

obF2Wuw.png
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I found Stewart's voice work in Lords of Shadow to be really sub par, like he was just phoning it in

like he got up at 6:00 am to go read some lines for "that Dracula bullshit, or whatever" and he was trying to wean himself off coffee at the time

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Just a general warning about God Hand.

That game will kick your ass. I swear, i died at least 20 times ON THE STARTING AREA when I first played the game. But, once you start to learn the game, it's one of the most satisfying beat 'em up games out there.

Also, EVERYBODY should play Bayonetta. one of the best games I've ever played.

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I wish Lord of Shadows was on PSN :(

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    All three Ninja Gaiden games are pretty awesome, the third being the most similar to God of War. The first one might be a bit too much on the hard and technical side of things to use it as a "cheer up" game.

• NaturalNarcissistNaturalNarcissist Registered User regular
    Even if I have to stomach the apparent horror of the ps3 port of Bayonetta? I'm a Microsoft fan through and through, but I had to switch over to the ps3 because the 360 stupidly isn't region free. With me switching continents back and forth every year, I didn't really have a choice. :P

Watching Lords of Shadow footage online and YES. YES YES YES. This is pretty much exactly what I was looking for.

I've also somehow missed most of Clover Studios' output - never got around to viewtiful joe, okami, or God Hand. Now that Okami is on PSN I think I'll be giving that a go pretty soon, the graphic overhaul looks outstanding.

• FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    Bayonetta is definitely better on 360. At launch the ps3 version had loading issues but I heard most of that stuff got fixed in a patch. The game should still be very fun to play, you just wont be getting 60fps.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    The DMC HD collection is a good un'

But

The games themselves may be a little outdated if you're not already a fan. DMC1 especially is showing it's age, but it is still a classic genre launcher, absolutely worth the time. DMC2 is utterly generic and terrible in comparison to the other games. DMC3 is the genre standard, considered the best.

However! I think for a new player, DMC4 is the one to get. You start off with a new character with a totally new play style based on grappling and air combat, and a time trigger to increase attack damage. Then you get to play as Dante from DMC3, with his entire massive style attack list condensed and refined so it's all available at once. It's prettier than the older games, has a fun story and a cool setting.

There's a demo for the upcoming DmC reboot out on the PSN/XBLA too. Highly recommend it, as it's a huge departure from the classic DMC gameplay, feels very fresh. Game comes out in January. ;D

Oh brilliant
    Even if I have to stomach the apparent horror of the ps3 port of Bayonetta? I'm a Microsoft fan through and through, but I had to switch over to the ps3 because the 360 stupidly isn't region free. With me switching continents back and forth every year, I didn't really have a choice. :P

The PS3 port was pretty disappointing but not bad enough to avoid it, especially at the prices you can find it now. Get it.

• Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    Bayonetta and Ninja Gaiden are the best brawlers/beat-em-ups I've play in this or last generation.

Castlevania: Lord of Shadows is one of the worst/most boring.

I'll disagree with DRX. DMC3 has the best combat in the series but it lacks a lot of the things that made DMC1 so great. Atmosphere and great environments, especially. DMC1's still my favourite.

And DmC is mediocre at best. The framerate alone is a complete and total joke.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Oh, I love DMC1 still, but it's much closer to its survival horror roots than the later games. The combat feels a lot less fluid, and you need to be more calculated and tactful than hack n' slash stylish funtimes. Like I said, it's a classic, but it's the least DMC of all the games. :P

Oh brilliant