As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

QUICK! Which Graphics Card should I buy!?

GuiberuGuiberu Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
I'm currently stuck with an MSI GeForce FX5200...

Obviously I want a new card and on Ebay they currently have TWO which I could afford...

But which to get?

ATI Radeon 128m DDR 9800 PRO Graphics Card - Genuine ATI model w/ Fan. £30.00 inc. P&P

OR

ATI Radeon 9600XT 128MB AGP - Also a Genuine ATI model w/ fan. £33.00 inc. P&P.

Which do I get?

Which will run things like HL2 and Far-Cry better?

Guiberu on

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    9800 pro, is better

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    GuiberuGuiberu Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    What about an X700 for a couple quid more?

Guiberu on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    They're both very old and limited...
    the x700 is probably a lot better.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Save up your money until you can buy a card that isn't four years old. For AGP, the GeForce 7600GS is a good buy.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Save up your money until you can buy a card that isn't four years old. For AGP, the GeForce 7600GS is a good buy.
    The 7600GS AGP is pretty overpriced for what you are getting. If you have a great CPU you might as well bite the bullet and get the x1950 Pro, otherwise snag the more reasonably priced 6600GT.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    A 9800 Pro is still a decent gaming card. Any system with a GeForce FX would probably be better suited to one of these than what is being suggested in this thread. The price sounds decent too.

CZroe on
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The GeForce FX 5xxx line is unsupported in a number of games now...

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    you will be severely disappointed with a FX 5xxx series card..... just stay away, they were bad when they were new (for the most part).

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Prot3usProt3us Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    If you want a "longer lasting" card that will still be somewhat effective 2 to 4 years for now I suggest the upcoming 8800GTS or GTX for their DX10 capabilities and sheer performance. If you want one right now that probably won't be running any of the upcoming games THAT WELL. Go 9800.

Prot3us on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Rohan wrote: »
    you will be severely disappointed with a FX 5xxx series card..... just stay away, they were bad when they were new (for the most part).

I would guess that this is why he is replacing it.
    Prot3us wrote: »
    If you want a "longer lasting" card that will still be somewhat effective 2 to 4 years for now I suggest the upcoming 8800GTS or GTX for their DX10 capabilities and sheer performance. If you want one right now that probably won't be running any of the upcoming games THAT WELL. Go 9800.

And how are those going to operate in the same system? ;)

CZroe on
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    CZroe wrote: »

Actually, I was replying to your "any GeForce FX card will do" :P

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    CZroe wrote: »

Actually, I was replying to your "any GeForce FX card will do" :P

Ah, but that's not what I said at all!

"A 9800 Pro is still a decent gaming card. Any system with a GeForce FX would probably be better suited to one of these than what is being suggested in this thread. The price sounds decent too."

I thought it was clear, but here it is a little clearer. ;)

Any system [originally paired] with a GeForce FX would probably be better suited to one of these [two Radeon 9X00 cards] than the [far too modern cards] being suggested in this thread.

CZroe on