As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Recommend: Sci Fi. (TV/Film)

FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
So, I'm in the mood for some Sci Fi.
I'm not a total Nub to the genre, but recently watched the "Forward Unto Dawn" series, and quite enjoyed it. It created an itch. So, I'm looking for some help. Here's the deal.
Generally, I like darker more arcing story lines. Classic totally episodic stuff kind of leaves me cold. What I have watched/enjoyed:
- BSG
- Firefly
- Babylon 5
- X-Files

I gather that Star Trek, SG (whichever), Farscape etc all get general kudos for being great. I've dabbled in each but never "caught the bug" and where I'm normally a bit of a completest, I'm thinking that sometimes the early episodes/seasons can be a little hit and miss. So I'm open to any "start from season three" style recommendations. Here's there I sit on these three.

- Trek. Obviously, I'm aware of all the shows and the characters. But I never really sat down to watch any with regularity. Any point of any show widely regarded as a highlight? (I respect the originals, but I'm probably not going to go there).
- SG. I tried season one of the TV show, and kind of lost interest... it was ok?
- Farscape. Watched season one (possibly all the way to the end?) It hinted at great stuff, but it was still a little cheesy for me.

So I'm probably coming off as a bit of a Philistine, but I'm genuinely interested in getting into a sci fi show again. I know a lot of these start as low budget concepts, hence wondering whether I'm just starting at the wrong point. Mini series'/webisodes etc. are fine if people think they're worthwhile.

Help me H&A. You're my only hope!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    You mentioned trying Star Trek, but did you give Deep Space 9 a shot? It's not the typical "zoom around the galaxy in a happy ship and solve everyone's problems within 45 minutes" Star Trek. It's much more political, and can get pretty dark at times.

If you enjoyed The X-Files, I'd recommend you check out The Lone Gunmen if you enjoyed their characters and wouldn't mind seeing them fleshed out a bit. I have heard that Fringe is the spiritual sequel, but haven't checked it out yet.

If you're looking for arching storylines instead of individual episodes you could always check out the new Dr. Who or Lost. I have heard that Terminator: The Sarah Conner Chronicles is pretty good if you're a fan of the franchise, but I don't know how arc heavy it is.

It's not exactly what you're looking for, but everyone should at least check out The Adventures Of Brisco County Jr. if they're into sci-fi/revisionist history.

• Options
    Thirty-3Thirty-3 [E] robcd Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    You might like Space: Above and Beyond - Created by X-Files dudes Wong and Morgan, focuses on US Marine Corps space aviators during a losing war against aliens. Only one season, though.

Also Caprica might also be worth a shot. It's a kind of BSG prequel that only aired for a single season.

Thirty-3 on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Stargate SG-1 gets pretty good starting with the end of Season One (Solitudes and the season closer are highlights of Season One) and ending at around the first half of Season Eight (Season Seven has one of the best episodes ever, "Heroes, Part 1 and Part 2"). I think that what really pushed me over from "meh" to "win!" was Season Four, the episode "Window of Opportunity". It hits a great mix of humor and pathos. While they don't do many multi-episode story arcs, there's a lot of continuity that is referenced throughout the show, and the heroes don't always win when they "go through the gate, get in trouble, and come back". If you stop watching at Season Eight (first couple of episodes), and then just move on to Atlantis, you'll avoid most of the sucky Stargate episodes.

If you liked BSG, you might like Stargate Universe, since it was a departure from SG-1/Atlantis toward more of the BSG style (note that many of the episodes are reviled by Stargate SG-1 fans, and the overall grim-dark/dumb-relationships drama pretty much killed the franchise).

If you liked Babylon 5, you'll probably like Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. There are some retarded episodes sprinkled throughout (especially at the beginning), but the show rises in quality steadily until Season 6, and kinda drops off at Season 7 (but that's the last season and they give the show a proper epic "ending", as it were).

If you decide to delve into Star Trek: The Next Generation, start with Season Three.

Firefly is basically live-action Cowboy Bebop, if you are into watching Anime at all.

I can second the recommendation for Brisco County Jr., although it's pretty short (only two seasons?).

If you want something with a bit more continuity than Doctor Who, you can check out Torchwood. It gets pretty dark and is a little less haphazard and fantasy-bound.

For X-Files-esque sci-fi, Fringe is probably your best bet.

For more humorous sci-fi in a modern context, Eureka is pretty good. It's the Andy Griffith show set in a weird town full of mad scientists.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    I can't really recommend any TV shows that haven't already been listed.

But Gattaca is a good movie.

Also I might recommend sticking with Farscape for at least another season. It can be pretty campy but it has its serious/sad moments and season 1 is the least-good of its seasons IMO. Those first few episodes are pretty bad but the show grows on you.

RT800 on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited December 2012
    Fringe and The 4400. They both start with a Freak of the Week episodic format, but once the metaplot gets rolling they both had me hooked.

edit: and yeah, stick with Farscape until Chiana and Scorpius show up.

Echo on
  • Options
    Thanks all.
    That's given me some idea where to start with some of the longer running shows. I didnt get all the way to the end of the 1st season with SG, so I might give that a whirl... I'll probbaly try some ST:TNG (season 3) and Deep Space Nine.
    Farscape... Season 2?

Fringe lost my wife and I early on with the monster of the week thing, but I was surprised to see that it continued on successfully - so maybe try that too? I really enjoy the Meta arcs (damn you Babylon 5!)

Heh, I seem to have gone from having no idea, to too many options!)

Space above any beyond - I should pick up too.

Hmmm, Maybe I'll try a smorgasbord of shows, and see what grabs me ;-)
    If anyone's still keen to get your recommend on - lets try something more specific:

Reccommend your jumping on points! (nearish the beginning, but good samples of future awesomeness)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Fallingman wrote: »
    Fringe lost my wife and I early on with the monster of the week thing, but I was surprised to see that it continued on successfully - so maybe try that too? I really enjoy the Meta arcs (damn you Babylon 5!)

Yeah, Fringe really gets rolling when the meta plot starts for real.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Since you also asked for films:

Moon
    Blade Runner
    Solaris (1972)
    THX 1138
    District 9
    2001: A Space Odyssey
    Videodrome
    Akira
    Alphaville
    Dark City (director's cut)
    12 Monkeys
    A Boy and His Dog
    Ghost in the Shell (this also has a TV series associated with it)
    Brazil
    Solaris (2002)

• Options
    Good list.

One's I havent seen:
    THX 1138
    Videodrome
    Alphaville
    A boy and his dog

Ones I should check out again:
    Dark City
    12 Monkeys

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    TekWar is actually decent, it's no masterpiece of Sci-Fi. But it is pretty entertaining.
    Just know that the "Complete Series" boxset in the US actually leaves out the 4 episode tv movie/pilot/first season, but the Canadian set has them.

And Sliders was good for a few seasons from what I remember, think it stalls out, or gets a bit lame later on but it's been a while since I've seen it.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    ihmmyihmmy Registered User regular
    warehouse 13. It's a little silly (same world as Eureka, they even have a crossover episode or two), very monster-of-the-week with an occasional over-arcing story for the season, but it's dang fun to watch

• Options
    SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular
    Jericho - A TV series about a small town after the US is all but wiped out from several nuclear attacks. Warning, the series ended prematurely and does leave things very unresolved.

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    Fringe is definitely pretty weak for the first season, but yeah, when the plot arch gets in full swing it gets fantastic.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    ihmmy wrote: »
    warehouse 13. It's a little silly (same world as Eureka, they even have a crossover episode or two), very monster-of-the-week with an occasional over-arcing story for the season, but it's dang fun to watch

Is Eureka worth it? I think Warehouse 13 is great, but I barely managed to get through the first episode of Eureka.

• Options
    jamesrajamesra Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    Fringe is definitely pretty weak for the first season, but yeah, when the plot arch gets in full swing it gets fantastic.

First half. From the back half of season one on Fringe has pointed to the show that it wants to be and that fans like. The quality gets more consistent, but if you don't like the back half of one through the front half of season two, you won't like Fringe. (I like Fringe. But it took a week long case of strep, a laptop and muscles so achy that books were HEAVY to teach me so. The front have of season one just doesn't work).

"Everything in war is very simple, but the simplest thing is difficult. The difficulties accumulate and end by producing a kind of friction. . . . This tremendous friction . . . is everywhere in contact with chance, and brings about effects that cannot be measured, just because they are largely due to chance" Carl Von Clausezwitz. (1832),
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    Primer.

Don't google it, don't wiki it, don't read shit about it, just watch it.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Siska wrote: »
    Jericho - A TV series about a small town after the US is all but wiped out from several nuclear attacks. Warning, the series ended prematurely and does leave things very unresolved.

Jericho is an awesome idea wrapped up in the worst writing and execution ever. It is a story of a town filled with literal idiots starring an unlikable character who just so happens to be involved in every major event over the course of the show.

Primer is amazing. If you haven't seen it, Zoku is right, go in sight unseen.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular

Is Eureka worth it? I think Warehouse 13 is great, but I barely managed to get through the first episode of Eureka.

Eureka has its moments, but it's very monster-of-the-week (well, super science experiment gone wrong of the week).

You'll want to keep in mind:

1. There are at least two incidents of "Time travel to soft reboot"
    2. To keep the show going at one point, they have to start with embarrassingly obvious product placement.

• Options
    Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    SeaQuest is also worth checking out. It's underwater Star Trek. Only 3 seasons and while each season is good, I remember each season feeling almost like an entirely different tv show which just happened to have the same characters.

Jeremiah is another post apocalyptic deal. Disease wiped out all of the adults in the US (whole world?), things fell apart, but Luke Perry and Theo Huxtable survived. Fairly episodic at first from what I remember, but gets bigger storylines going after the characters are established, especially in seasons 2 and 3.

Farscape was great and had a lot of awesome moments, but it definitely has a lot of silliness, so may not be what you're looking for. It took me 1-2 seasons to not want to punch the main actor in the dick every time he talked, but eventually I got used to his style.

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    I unfortunately also have little to offer as far as tv series go, but Pandorum was a pretty good movie.

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    I'm going to second Cowboy Bebop. It fits your criteria to a T, and will tickle all of your Firefly-loving bones.

• Options
    emimonsteremimonster Silicon ValleyRegistered User regular
    People seemed to really dig Heroes (though I think many people would say just watch season 1).

I second the above "ST: DS9 is a great alternative to the planet-a-day zoom around the universe format of most ST" comment. You say you liked Babylon 5, so you might prefer DS9 over other Star treks. Having watched a few episodes here and there of ST:TNG makes DS9 better, too, *I* think.

For anime, I agree, definitely start with Cowboy Bebop. Then maybe try the Macross Plus movie. These are suggestions to ease yourself in when it comes to Anime. Also, never understood the attraction to Akira. Awful. Really Really Really awful (love it or hate it seem to be the main reactions to that film).

Also, AMG RED DWARF for the funniez. ; )

• Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    What is wrong with you people, no-one has mentioned Dr Who!!!!!!
    You have to watch Dr Who, and then Torchwood.

For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    I second the Dr. Who suggestion. Awesome series. In terms of movies I would suggest "The Man from Earth". No special effects. No aliens. No starships. Just a few people sitting around talking - but with fascinating philosophical questions.

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
  • Options
    How was I not aware of Hyperdrive?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    It's only 12 episodes...so easy to miss.

• Options
    Deffo check it out. I wasnt looking for comedy, but Nick frost is too good to pass up.
    I know this wont be popular - but I could never get into Dr Who *ducks-for-cover*. I dont know... just too light a tone, maybe?

So, would Fringe kick of at the end of Season one? or Season two?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    The Ghost in the Shell tv series, especially 2nd Gig, I would argue is actually way better than the movie.

• Options
    What is wrong with you people, no-one has mentioned Dr Who!!!!!!
    You have to watch Dr Who, and then Torchwood.

Uhhh, I did. Second post.

Fallingman, which Doctor did you watch? As the doctor takes on different incarnations, the theme of the show tends to change slightly.

• Options
    Cowboy BebopCowboy Bebop Registered User regular
    You should check out the sci-fi mini series "The Lost Room"

• Options
    Arson WellesArson Welles Registered User regular
    Misfits is pretty good.

Eureka is awesome. LOST has been my favorite TV show of the last decade.

In terms of movies.

Event Horizon is crazy dark.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Fallingman wrote: »
    Deffo check it out. I wasnt looking for comedy, but Nick frost is too good to pass up.
    I know this wont be popular - but I could never get into Dr Who *ducks-for-cover*. I dont know... just too light a tone, maybe?

So, would Fringe kick of at the end of Season one? or Season two?

Fringe starts getting good midway through Season 1, so I'd probably watch... well, if you don't remember the pilot, I'd at least watch that. Really, just pushing though the first half season isn't too bad, I did that earlier this year. The conclusion of Season 1 has this utterly fantastic reveal that just sort of sets the stage for the awesomeness that's to come. Unfortunately, you won't really "get it" unless you've seen a fair bit of the rest of Season 1 too. And starting with Season 2 is probably a bad idea, because it takes for granted the reveal from the end of Season 1.

I will also second Warehouse 13 for the less serious side of sci fi. I'm not sure if it's worth trying to get started from the beginning... there's an overarching plot but it's not that big a deal. It's got the sort of "Burn Notice" type thing where there's usually a "B-plot" that is dealing with the crisis of the week, but there's an "A-plot" that takes up maybe 5-10 minutes per episode dealing with the overarching problems. Except for the season premieres and finales, those are always all "A-plot." But it very clearly doesn't take itself seriously so it's a good light sci fi that you don't usually don't have to think about too much.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    re: Fringe. The first few episodes are pretty weak (i'd say episode 4 or 5 is the first "strong" episode) but i would say just watch them so you know the characters a little better. Do not skip to season 2.
    Eureka is NOT grimdark/dark at all. There are a few tragic moments but by and large it is a light comedy and doesn't fit with the other shows you mentioned. I enjoyed Eureka but it's more comedy scifi than dark scifi.
    I almost couldn't remember the name but i always remember 'hercules in space" which helped me remember kevin sorbo which led me to Andromeda. Andromeda is like a cheesy BSG. If you burn through all the other shows recommended you might find yourself actually enjoying it.
    Someone mentioned Heroes but I wouldn't start that show because it ends up getting horrible fast. Instead you may get interested in Alphas, which is still airing but you can go through the content that's out already.

• Options
    BoredGamerBoredGamer Registered User regular
    Outcasts was pretty good, would describe it as a british attempt to do a Nu-BSG series, only lasted the single season but very enjoyable.

• Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    All this talk of Fringe, I am at this point only watching Season 5 simply because I know it is the last season and figured I might as well finish it. I loved the first 3 seasons but felt Season 4 was a serious let down and at times pissed me off.

Heroes is worth watching Season 1 of, but just stop there. I loved the whole first season, and while it ends with some cliffhanger teasers for Season 2 is a fairly decent self-contained story on its own. But the following seasons went downhill ridiculously fast and are not worth watching.

Regarding movies, do you like time travel? If so, you should watch Looper when you can get chance. If its playing at a cheap theater near you, or when it comes out on home video release. It is my favorite time travel story since 12 Monkeys.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular

Warehouse 13 is one of my faves too.
    I'd definitely give it a shot.

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Yes Yes Yes to all of the above, but I'm really posting to convince you to try Doctor Who again.

Instead of starting with Christopher Eccleston of the first season of the new series try taste testing the first episode of the current Doctor (Matt Smith) which is "The Eleventh Hour", the first episode of the fifth series (season) from 2010.

Watch an episode or two of that and then if you're not interested you can leave off, but if it tickles your taste buds then go and start with Eccelston's Doctor Who season and maybe you have to soldier through the first season but after that it can't help but be awesome.

rockmonkey on
    NEWrockzomb80.jpg