As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SYSTEMS ADMINS & IT MONKEYS] ...maybe they should have hired a professional

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Hahaha... You guys are funny. Everyone knows you eat the time when it comes to Overhead unless you hate the company and hate the owners.

See that's the problem, no one's corrected them yet.

Listen I don't hate you. I hate that you think I'm worthless, so I think you're a rich, penny-wise/dollar-foolish douchebag. I'm willing to change my views if you are.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Heh, I started writing this big long post about embedding/escaping nested double quotes into a powershell command in a batch script. And figured out my problem in the process. Yay writing out your problems.

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Haha... This guy is so great. He literally just drilled a hole in the wall from our Server Room to the room next to it and fed the wire through. That's EXACTLY how I would've done it myself.

• Options
    I mean, I'd have done it in the ceiling if it were me. I'm assuming you don't have drop ceilings though.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »
    I mean, I'd have done it in the ceiling if it were me. I'm assuming you don't have drop ceilings though.

Oh we do have drop ceilings but the man was basically doing the work for free after spending 9+ hours at his previous job.

• Options
    So can you guys recommend a good networking switch that has more than 18 ports? We are currently using two Linksys switches (that you can buy at Best Buy, no doubt) and they are fucking terrible. Every other day I have to unplug them and plug them back in because our network dropped.

• Options
    Linksys is my goto for SBS switches.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    We use DLink switches, DGS-3120-48s. They're managed switches, do POE for our APs. Might be overkill for you, but I've been really happy with DLink of late. We have a few cheapie 24 port Linksys switches too, but we're swapping the last two out this week for the faster GB DLink ones. An agency we're merging with has some older model Cisco switches (real Cisco, not the Linksys with a Cisco logo slapped on) but we're swapping them out as well as their Cisco AP which is a steaming pile and apparently has never, ever worked right. Lot of hate for Cisco product.

Nosf on
  • Options
  • Options
    Yeah I don't know about Cisco... They used be hella good but it seems their quality has really dropped as of late. D-Link has always been the "cheapo" brand in my eyes. I'm not sure.

• Options
    Ours have been running for 3 years non stop so.

I'm not sure about DLink, I'd be hesitant. Also Nosf, your company uses(d) AVG, how can I trust your opinion about DLink?!

• Options
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular

Cisco quality dropped in that they now have the low end line that was formerly Linksys. Cisco as a company really doesn't seem to know what they want to do, making little cameras and such. Their high end stuff is good quality wise, it's just that the interface is always ass. Everyone I know who works with their gear swears they make the interface as obtuse as possible to get you to take their certification courses.

• Options
    You know what's terrible? The Cisco DVR/Cable boxes. Takes like 10 minutes to boot. Also it uses Java.

• Options
    Ah well, even managed switches you don't need to deal with their interfaces, that's strictly their routers/ASDM stuff.

• Options
    @urahonky I would get dlink over netgear.

• Options
    D-Link is $300 more... Is it worth that jump?

• Options
    verbelverbel Registered User regular
    Haha... This guy is so great. He literally just drilled a hole in the wall from our Server Room to the room next to it and fed the wire through. That's EXACTLY how I would've done it myself.

That is exactly what we did as well.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    D-Link is $300 more... Is it worth that jump?

Yes.

Remember, penny-wise/dollar foolish.

You save a buck here, spend $10 fixing and babysitting it.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited December 2012

Look up the OSI model. Layer 2 means it's moving packets based on MAC address. A Layer 3 switch does it via IP address. L3 also has better control over broadcast traffic. Basically you can do a lot more stuff with an L3 vs an L2. I assume the L2+ refers to the internal routing between VLANs, something a L2 switch normally can't do.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Thanks I appreciate the clarification.

Still torn on which to buy...

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    Oh nice even better.... While walking to get the print-out... I got notification that I will be staying late today.

Our networking guy (who hooks up the outlets and stuff) has been mysteriously absent. Turns out he lost his vision in one of his eyes so that's why he hasn't been answering our calls. Well my COO called him and got him to come in today at 5pm EST (I leave at 4:30...supposedly). Here's the kicker: he can't climb ladders, so I'm going to be the one on the ladders doing all of the work. I'll be here until 8pm or so.

Get a hard copy of your job description and just start writing all this down.

It will at least be lulzy when you go to ask for a raise.
    1/2 page of job description.
    3 pages of handwritten addenda.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Don't worry they get around that by "and related requirements we deem appropriate to the position."

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I feel like Honky should have his own weekly feature in TheDailyWTF.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    He should start a thread.

• Options
    edited December 2012
    I love TheDailyWTF.

I'd rather not attract all that attention, however. :)

urahonky on
  • Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    Don't worry they get around that by "and related requirements we deem appropriate to the position."

The company I work for uses "And other duties as assigned."

• Options
    Man, if you let "other duties as assigned" get in the way of salary negotiatons, you aren't negotiating right. That shit is literally in every job description ever. It doesn't mean dick.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options
    It does if you work where urahonky does that thinks it's kosher to have a programmer doing system admin, electrical, and running wires.

• Options
    Well, sometimes the correct move in negotiations is "fuck you I quit"...

• Options
    Don't forget building desks/chairs.

• Options
    I agree. That should have nothing to do with salary. I'm getting screwed a bit with my current salary after having so many things added to my job description. They keep saying they are trying to get owners to approve a raise. they have 4 more months until I've been manager for 2 years at which point I'm looking for another job if they still don't take care of me.

• Options
    I agree. That should have nothing to do with salary. I'm getting screwed a bit with my current salary after having so many things added to my job description. They keep saying they are trying to get owners to approve a raise. they have 4 more months until I've been manager for 2 years at which point I'm looking for another job if they still don't take care of me.

Eh I'd look now. 30 days is more than enough time to approve a raise. No more than 2 weeks, honestly. But I'm a pretty sweet boss.

• Options
    Sigh... We got both of our servers, but not the server rack. And looking at the tracking... Apparently it shipped out on the 26th of November. Which is like a week before the servers shipped out.

• Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    Sigh... We got both of our servers, but not the server rack. And looking at the tracking... Apparently it shipped out on the 26th of November. Which is like a week before the servers shipped out.

So, they've probably arrived, but one of your managers got confused and requisitioned the rack as a bookshelf?

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I love KMS. When it works.

Right now? It's not working. Well, "not working" in the sense that it won't activate the Office 2010 installation I'm attempting to ThinApp for our vmWare View machines because Microsoft has a minimum activation count before it actually starts activating.

I had forgotten about this back when I was attempting to get Windows 7 to do the same thing with the KMS server I set up. So now I need to provision a ton of desktops to hit the KMS server and run up the count. I totally have time for all of this...

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options

So, they've probably arrived, but one of your managers got confused and requisitioned the rack as a bookshelf?

Unfortunately it doesn't say "delivered" like the servers do. :P

• Options

Eh I'd look now. 30 days is more than enough time to approve a raise. No more than 2 weeks, honestly. But I'm a pretty sweet boss.

I'm taking the time to get some certifications to pad my resume. I'm not getting paid too terribly at the moment, but it's still well below the average around here.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

I'm sure that situation will be resolved once urahonky's duties are appropriately expanded to include felling a tree, cutting lumber, and building a bookshelf.

• Options
    Bonus points for using the word "felling" in a conversation!

This discussion has been closed.