As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ITT the Coalition Hopes Voters are as Technologically Inept as They Are [Australia Thread]

VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine.Registered User regular
edited April 2013 in Social Entropy++
So, due to an overwhelming amount of stress, I will no longer be organising AusPAX 2013... But if anyone's up for spearheading things, I am happy to assist!

Anyway, let us use this thread as we always have before: to arrange meetips, discuss the superiority of Australian wildlife over every other kind of wildlife, and the whacky time zones that prevent us from playing vidja games with anyone but each other.

--- PEOPLE WHO WILL BE GOING TO THE OFFICIAL PAX AU (JULY 19-21 2013)---
Vivixenne
Blake T
Anzekay
Gatsby
HyperBallad
Flay
AJR
Cobalt60
Vegemyte
SwissLion
Lalabox
Air
MMMig

--- PEOPLE WHO MIGHT BE GOING TO THE OFFICIAL PAX AU 2013 BUT AREN'T SURE YET BECAUSE OF REASONS ---
Tef
Kincaid
Seguer

@ me to be on this list!

--- LIST OF COOL PEEPS LIVING IN AUSTRALIA ---
PERTH
Vivixenne, Blake T, Butler, Waka Laka, Kincaid, Dublo7, chrishallettbunchanumbers, BigKev, noobert, AJR, flynnie, Dhalphir, desperaterobots, PixelMonkey, Tallweirdo, Tef, Anzekay, Samuelson, RocketScience, CuZZa, webofink, EmbracethePing, Vegemyte

SYDNEY
Oden, Air, Tweaked_Bat_, bsjezz, Prohass, Gatsby, Ambassador, TrueHereticX, TheSquid, Flay, HyperBallad, Jintor, Seguer

MELBOURNE
Synthetic Orange, stimtokolos, Cyvros, YaYa, grug, ruzkin, Mr Fuzzbutt, Hitsuraptor, LaCabra, The Boy Satellite, Unlucky

BRISBANE
#pipe, Flyingman, Avicus, SwissLion, Crimson King, joshua11, Lorahalo

CANBERRA
The Black Hunter, marty_0001, Chronocide

OTHER NEAT PEOPLE IN AUSTRALIA
- Glorfindel (Gold Coast)
- bezerk bob (Toowoomba)
- Veldrin (Darwin)

ACTUAL AUSTRALIANS WHO ARE NOT IN AUSTRALIA (BUT PROBABLY WISH THEY WERE)
- tynic
- Lewie P's Stepdad

2011 HONORARY AUSTRALIAN OF THE YEAR
- Wimble

AWESOME KIWIS WHO ARE AWESOME
- Fishman
- KiraKiraKira
- Fletcher
- Katat
- L|ama

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
Vivixenne on

• Options
    HyperBalladHyperBallad A ball of vivid colour and barely contained emotions Sydney. Lost in time and space.Registered User regular
    New thread smell. Excellent.

Steam: poetic_gecko.
    2DS/3DS Friend code 0361-7385-2366
    Twitter: @PoeticGecko
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I propose we change "Lewie P's Stepdad" back to Tube

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    I prefer seppos but it's a much of a muchness.

How many people have signed up official auspax? Maybe it would be good to all meet up then?

If it all goes to shit we could all go to my place for a week!

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    wait tube is australian

come to think of it i vaguely remember reading that he was from queensland or something

• Options
    EmbraceThePingEmbraceThePing ひきこもり Where the Crabbits and the Iz roam and the Jungle Queen rules the plainsRegistered User regular
    I'm in. Have you got enough barium enemas for everyone??

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Stop saying his name, he's like Robot Santa, say his name too many times and he'll show up.

• Options
    No barium but I got a shitload of bleach and a heap of them glo sticks

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    AirAir Registered User regular
    There's an official auspax now?

darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    Ayup!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    are you guys all going

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    I'm thinking I might get a day pass and just hang out in Melbourne for like 4 days or something

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    @HyperBallad and I both got three day passes.

• Options
    ah cool
    i might just procrastinate on it until the last minute

darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Oh hey, I'm in the cool peeps list!

I finally belong. <3

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    also totally accepting nominations for the 2012 honorary australian of the year

• Options
    viv whats got you stressed

darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    oh I am honestly just too busy with work

it was easier to organize when I had a part-time job and was going to uni

full-time with my current job? yeah can't do it I really tried and I'm super duper sorry everyone :(

• Options
    Hey no worries Viv

Not a single person would blame you!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    poor form viv, what happened to the superwoman of 2010

darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    but really, fulltime work is complete shit
    sorry to hear

whats the job

darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    acute child and adolescent mental health

• Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    --- PEOPLE WHO MIGHT BE GOING TO THE OFFICIAL PAX AU 2013 BUT AREN'T SURE YET BECAUSE OF REASONS ---
    Tef
    Air

This is bullshit and you both know it.

• Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Also if I'm still living in Melbourne anyone is welcome to come hang out and drink heavily at my house during the official AUSPAX period.

E: Viv you are doing good work, it is close to my heart.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    hey man reasons are

valid

darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    child psychology?
    cool
    you could make a little army or something

id aim to create a large number of future financiers
    like when they become adults theyd feel obligated to donate part of their money on an ongoing basis to fund a luxurious early retirement due to some instilled sense of personal absence or some such which may somehow be alleviated through monetary displays of support for their psychologist with minimal actual return

not exactly like a cult
    but not exactly not

darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    KincaidKincaid You're standing on my neck KuwaitRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    When is the official AusPax?

July 19-21 hey? Hmm...

Kincaid on
  • Options
    I've got a wedding in Europe!

I don't have a set date but it'll probably be mid June-July since they said it will be a summer wedding

When I get that invite I will plan accordingly

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Who in your government do we have to bribe to get get a work visa for longer than 6 months? WTF people, we have four warehouses there now and I want to go! Those accents are sexy as hell. And maybe swim the reef, but accents!

• Options
    <3 you guys

• Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Tef wrote: »
    Hey no worries Viv

Not a single person would blame you!
    Rumour has it that wimble (and maybe #Pipe) would be willing to blame you.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    FoolproofFoolproof thats what my hearts become in that place you dare not look staring back at youRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Embarrassing confession.

This last week I purchased "The AADA Road Atlas and Survival Guide VOLUME FOUR: AUSTRALIA" for 2$USD. I am kinda amazed how much I am learning. I mean I have read so many national geographic mags from cover to cover so I'm not totally ignorant or anythig, but...

I really could stand to do some real learnin bout the lucky country.

If anyone is familiar with the publication then I'd love to hear your opinions on parts of it too.

Foolproof on
  • Options
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Who in your government do we have to bribe to get get a work visa for longer than 6 months? WTF people, we have four warehouses there now and I want to go! Those accents are sexy as hell. And maybe swim the reef, but accents!

@Krieghund it's a 12 month working holiday visa where you can only stay in one job for a maximum of six months. So you can go, work, the holiday.

Alternatively if you are amazing you could get your work to sponsor your visa and you could work for however long you want.

• Options
    edited December 2012
    guys this is not particularly Australian or even relevant to the thread in general but I am going to post a story, okay

you may know of Salsa's, which is a half-decent Mexican food chain that is making an appearance in an increasing number of food courts across the country

several months ago, we were there on Thursday night to get food before we went to see a movie, and I was still kinda half in "work mode" and half in "yay gonna see a movie with Blake mode"

a young girl - no older than 16 - is taking orders and working the cash register is very obviously new, and the lady in front of me is clearly a bit frustrated with all of those mistakes the young girl is making, and the girl is completely flustered when she gets to me

and she makes a lot of mistakes again and is super apologetic

and I kinda smile at her and I say, "hey, it's fine"

and she stops and looks up at me and I give her a really big smile and go "everyone's gotta learn to do something that first time, and you're going to make mistakes, and it's okay! it's obvious you're trying your hardest, so don't worry about it!"

and she smiles and goes "thanks!"

and I lean in and I'm like "and some people just have really shit days and take it out on others and it's awfully unfair, but it's not about you, it's about them, so... don't let it get to you"

and she looks so much happier and goes off to take care of my order and after I pay and I turn to walk away I hear her tell her coworkers "oh my god she was SO nice!" and you can just see her have that much more confidence

and I'm like, guys, the next time you wanna be snippy with a kid behind a cash register, maybe actually act like an adult instead

makes a world of difference and it takes no freakin' effort on your part

sometimes when I am having a bad day and think I am just the worst I replay that story in my head and then I feel better, and I am posting it here because goddammit yes some teenagers are dumb but most of the time they are doing the best they believe they can

it's just that many of them don't believe they can do very well at all

so cut them some freakin' slack if you have it in you to do so

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Viv, when are you gonna get your own talk show?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    Hells yeah, back when I was a checkout chick those "Gotta learn some time" comments were always a relief to hear

• Options
    Foolproof wrote: »
    Embarrassing confession.

This last week I purchased "The AADA Road Atlas and Survival Guide VOLUME FOUR: AUSTRALIA" for 2$USD. I am kinda amazed how much I am learning. I mean I have read so many national geographic mags from cover to cover so I'm not totally ignorant or anythig, but...

I really could stand to do some real learnin bout the lucky country.

If anyone is familiar with the publication then I'd love to hear your opinions on parts of it too.

is that a street directory
    is that your leisure reading material

darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Viv I wish you had rang me up back when I worked in bigpond cable tech support, I could have used some encouragement back in those times.

• Options
    No Dom.

You fix my fucking phone line right now.

• Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    That's awesome Viv.

It's pretty amazing how far just having a smile on your face and saying stuff like "please" and "thanks" goes when dealing with other people, behind a counter or not.

I've never worked food or retail or hospitality in my life, but goddamn those jobs must suck 99% of the time. I hate when I see customers taking out their anger and frustrations on some helpless chump behind the counter, who is probably dealing with shitty customer #4052 for the day and is on the verge of collapsing from the sheer suckitude of it all.

and I'm like, guys, the next time you wanna be snippy with a kid behind a cash register, maybe actually act like an adult instead.
    Well you see the thing is, the adults around here don't act like real adults. Everyone has their heads so far up their own asses it's a wonder they can get in a car and drive (actually that might explain why everyone sucks at driving, too).

Tweaked_Bat_ on
This discussion has been closed.