As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Total War developer signs deal to make several games in the "Warhammer" universe.

FreiFrei A French Prometheus UnboundDeadwoodRegistered User regular
edited December 2012 in Games and Technology
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-12-06-total-war-dev-announces-multi-game-warhammer-deal

Thousands of voices cry out in joy. It's highly likely that Creative Assembly will make the Warhammer games in the style of Total War, a match made in video gaming heaven.

It looks like they aren't sure which Warhammer we're talking here, the medieval or future type, nor if Relic still has the rights to the futuristic Warhammer games. Do you think they'll make the games in the style of Total War? I can't see much else working, and they know people have been clamoring for something like this.

Are you the magic man?
Frei on

• Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    It would almost certainly be fantasy. And THANK GOD. They should have done this a decade ago.

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    It's not going to be 40k. THQ has that license.

• Options
    GaardeanGaardean Registered User regular
    Oooh, I always loved Shadow of the Horned Rat, and wondered why that series never went anywhere. Going to be great to see what an experienced studio can do with the setting, hopefully it'll scratch that fantasy strategy itch that the King Arthur games didn't quite get.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    There is a God! Unfortunately, there's three others too, and none of them are very nice. Aaiiighh!

Never played any of the fantasy RTS, and didn't get much more than a few weeks of fun out of WH:Online. Still, wouldn't mind seeing some more of the good old fantasy setting. Give me some Lizardmen and some Skaven and I'll be happy.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Don't really know anything about Fantasy. Is it as pointlessly and hilariously violent as 40k?

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Less grimdark and pulp and more ridiculous and magical. It's still grimdark and over the top, just not as heavy handed as 40k about it. Personally I prefer 40k just because of the setting and how depressingly vicious the situation of all human-kind is.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yea, 40k has the advantage in grimdarkery because it can obliterate entire planets with various horrible fates. Fantasy takes place all on one world, so they can't get quite the same level of soul-crushing annihilation going. Plus its slightly more grounded because the orcs don't have guns.

Still pretty great though. There's a society ruled by egyptian mummy-kings who, if you've been accused of thievery, will have you thrown into a pit of scorpions. Since scorpions are the favored animal of the Thief God, they won't sting a true thief. So if you emerge from the scorpion pit unscathed, they'll know you're guilty of thievery, and will have you thrown into a pit of poisonous snakes. I love it.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Too bad it will be years before we see anything come out of this :(

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    AsheAshe Registered User regular
    Oh my.

Oh my.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    This sounds excellent! Fantasy total war has been proven to work by that great LotR mod, which I only got bored of due to how huge and boring the middle earth map is for that style of game. The warhammer fantasy world is perfect for this, it is about time!

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Don't really know anything about Fantasy. Is it as pointlessly and hilariously violent as 40k?

It's almost a vicious Discworld.

Did wonder whether they'd go for a time of three Emperor's setting - so you've got the various provinces plotting against each other, the Vampire Counts in Sylvania splitting off and trying to take over the Empire themselves (leading to assistance from the Dwarfs and Elves in some of the major battles), Skaven invasions following a black plague - and then it all ends up with Magnus the Pious uniting the warring Empire to defeat a massive chaos incursion at the end.

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Klyka wrote: »
    Too bad it will be years before we see anything come out of this :(

Yeah, this is the worst part. They're in the middle of Rome 2 right now. I imagine they'll do something like they did with Rome 2 - have a small team split off and begin working on the new game while the current one is still in production. Still, though... it'll be a while.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Imagine if the Holy Roman Empire had access to magic, and you get an idea of the what the Warhammer fantasy setting is like.

Also, there are orcs.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    One of the better things about Fantasy is that it doesn't have an obvious favourite race, like the Space Marines in 40K.

Also muskets. So many muskets.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Interesting. So long as it doesn't detract from the traditional TW line (there are still plenty of areas to be covered), it sounds good!

• Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    obligatory "Total Warhammer" joke

• Options
    War Hammer-er: Desert Fight.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    I love the idea of different rulers for each faction, or different legendary lords you start with in the beginning. It seems like those are really going to play a big part in your early play style.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Oh god, wrong thread. Can't believe I posted this back in 2012 and we're just now getting it in a couple days.

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?