As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Six Weeks To A Sick [Strength Training] Thread

PeenPeen Registered User regular
edited February 2013 in Social Entropy++
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Troo0o43AzQ

Be the best powerlifter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRO51Qqt-I8

Be the best weightlifter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SB523WntoaY

Be the best strongman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZOF7Hirc1M

Be the best bodybuilder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woo15uARJgU

Be the best at Crossfit?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzrKVPhgfXs

Pick things up. Put them down. Be half as boss as this kid and you can rule the world.

Required reading:

11 November 2007 - Alright faggots let's hump this shit up
26 January 2008 - BIG MAN! BIG MAN! LET'S HUMP THIS SHIT UP!
23 April 2008 - I AM A BIG MAN. WE WILL HUMP SHIT UP
24 November 2008 - PUMP THAT SHIT UP, WEAKLING!
3 February 2009 - I love being strong
24 Februry 2009 - I am a BIG MAN, Yes I am, and I've got TWO Big Guns!
13 January 2009 - ATTN: Weaklings! Pump that shit up!
12 April 2009 - Bulgy like moose
14 June 2009 - Strong like bull
5 August 2009 - The strength of a bear that has the strength of two bears
4 October 2009 - Everybody wanna be a bigman (don't nobody wanna lift this bigass weight)
23 December 2009 - Post yer quads!
2 March 2010 - My ass is a quivering mess
20 April 2010 - GIANT BIGMAN CLUB
31 May 2010 - Squats are a part of a balanced BIGMAN diet
20 July 2010 - Got 99 problems but a bench ain't one
21 September 2010 - Bigmanification
5 December 2010 - Weight training thread
8 April 2011 - Of might and men
June 2011 - Don't Forget: Slider Is A Moron
December 2011 - When the bar comes off your chest... don't stop
12 July 2012 We're gonna need a bigger bar [FAGASSMAXX Weightlifting thread]

Peen on

• Options
    AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    Managed three reps of body weight+65lb chins ups on Monday. Pretty stoked. Next week going for +75lbs.

• Options
    MogsMogs Registered User regular
    Absolutely miserable squats yesterday. Realized near the end of my time in the gym that my stance has gradually gotten wider and wider to the point of screwing up my form. Fixed it for my last couple sets, and I plan to just do sets of 10 at 135lbs next week until I die to make sure my form is solid.

Also, for the past 4 weeks or so, I've been lazy about food, so I'm going to bring some focus back to that.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Finished off my presses today at 3x3 at 80kg. Started x15 bar 10x50, 8x70

Felt pretty good for missing my last three lifting days

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    Nice job DL. I am sorting front squats out tonight if it kills me.

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    165lb/75kg Squat, managed it for 8 reps. Might have been able to push it further, but I've got to be careful lifting alone.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    Did an ugly 125kg FS today but I just can't keep my torso upright enough. Mob mob mob I reckon.

• Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    yo put that kid who does a deadlift in the OP and high fives everyone

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    UNSATISFIED WITH A PALTRY 2 PERSONAL RECORDS ON MONDAY, I HAVE ATTAINED A MIGHTY 3 PERSONAL RECORDS TODAY

ALSO GOD DAMN DEAD LEGEND THAT IS A SICK PRESS

SHIT DUDE

• Options
    Gracias

The hunt for bodyweight press continues!

Also: cleared to squat! fuck you broken tibia i am going to squat you back into a strong bone!

• Options

I would but it's in the middle of another vid. If anyone has it by itself I definitely will.

Also shhhh nobody tell the robot I'm here.

• Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    noah is a BEAST!!!!!

dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    Why is there such a strong correlation between people who make weightlifting videos and people who think a good aural fucking is the best kind of music

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    Why is there such a strong correlation between people who make weightlifting videos and people who think a good aural fucking is the best kind of music

because people who are right about things tend to like Slayer

• Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    Walt wrote: »

Which is why I'm wondering about the Three Days Grace

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    Walt wrote: »

Which is why I'm wondering about the Three Days Grace
    oooooooh

see you said "music" so

• Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    @Tweaked_Bat_ is basically an awesome guy and gave me a bunch of protips in the gym yesterday.

Thanks again man, much more confident lifting now.

• Options
    twotimesadingotwotimesadingo Registered User regular
    Had a terrible day with my low-bar back squats. Suspect it might be because I did a ton of straight-leg dead lifts yesterday, but even so, was pretty disappointed. Struggled doing a single set of three reps with fifty pounds under my 1rm.

PSN: peepshowofforce
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Things I learner today. Doing 20 Rep squats after fasting for over 24 hours is not a good idea. I just about passed out in the cage halfway through.

• Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Flay wrote: »
    Flay wrote: »
    @Tweaked_Bat_ is basically an awesome guy and gave me a bunch of protips in the gym yesterday.

Thanks again man, much more confident lifting now.

No worries man, you are basically better than you think you are, just keep readin' and learnin' (and lifting, obviously) and the rest will come naturally.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    If things go to plan, I should be doing a relatively comfortable 3x5 high-bar squat @ 120kg working weight by Christmas. Pretty excited as that is quite close to my previous working weight for low bar squats, before my hip/leg started acting up.

Also I managed a very messy 140kg high-bar 1RM at the end of my worksets. I think I'm due for a 150kg high-bar 1RM by Christmas, that would be a pretty OK present from Santa.

Also I've relearned how to bench with my heels planted and am now using my previous heels-unplanted working weight successfully. The arch isn't as strong as it used to be, so my low back isn't completely fried after a heavy set of bench. I found I wasn't actually getting proper leg drive with the heels planted method, but then I realised the mistake and it's pretty solid now.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    @Peen is gonna have plenty of time to do his weightlifting in jail...

• Options
    I do not understand this thing that is happening.

What is happening and why is Peen wanted?

• Options
    IT'S THE MAN IT'S THE MAN OH GOD THE VOICES

• Options
    Ok I'm making progress with the front squats. I got to 4 reps before the bar started to slip and it was all over. I'm blaming my super slippery synthetic workout shirts, next week I go in cotton and maybe chalk my shoulders.

Also this all major exercises in the 8 rep range program isn't so bad. The first few sessions just mauled me but it's definitely getting better and it's nice that my joints and lower back don't feel creaky all of the time.

• Options
    jklongjklong Registered User regular
    Can you say safety bar squats? Only super light triples, but damn that feeling of it pulling you forward all the time is offputting. Really encourages you to sit back into the squat.

• Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    That is an awesome little kid

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Despite all my other lifts going up my Overhead Press refuses to budge, so I'm gonna mix it up. Went from 5x3 to 3x5 (did 140, moving to 145 next time) followed by 5x5+ Neutral Grip DB Press (completed at 57.5). I think part of my issue is not knowing how to breathe on Presses. Once I have to take a breath I completely lose the tightness in my chest and my delts get taken right out of the lift, but I can hold it for three reps. Also, thumbless grip for Press is fantastic. I should have picked that up earlier.

• Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    I also don't get breathing on presses. Also I am lucky that someone suggested thumbless shortly after I started so I've almost exclusively been thumbless pressing.

dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    Thumbless, eh?

I don't think I really breathe during presses.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    I know Wendler likes to recommend a thumbless grip on presses. I find that it requires less wrist bend, but it puts your elbows lower down.

Or do log or dumbbell presses and then you have a neutral grip.

• Options
    The only time I breath during presses is once in a while when I have the weight locked out over my head, but that's only on sets of 5 or more.

• Options
    I think Monday it's gonna be squat presses and deadlifts

Mmmmmmhmmmm

• Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    I think Monday it's gonna be squat presses and deadlifts

Mmmmmmhmmmm

Running the power cycle again but have adapted a 'rising bar' format to the squat days. Warmup into 5x3 front squats then to top sets of back squats then drop it to the floor and start my deadlifts from wherever squats finished. Three exercises, one warmup, weight on the bar never drops. Another victory for training efficiency.

I'm not even sure if I bench at all anymore.

• Options
    Benching is overrated. Way cooler pressing weight overhead. Also no more shoulder issues and less pain around my scapula.

Actually I think instead of squat deadlift and press I'm gonna do cleans snatches presses and squats

• Options
    Peen wrote: »
    The only time I breath during presses is once in a while when I have the weight locked out over my head, but that's only on sets of 5 or more.
    Yeah I take a new breath with the weight overhead. I dunno if that's the right thing, but it seems to keep me tight at the bottom.

• Options
    OdenOden Registered User regular
    I went to the gym for the first time in over six months the other night but I think I'm bored with weight lifting because I lack specific goals

• Options
    jklongjklong Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    Yeah I take a new breath with the weight overhead. I dunno if that's the right thing, but it seems to keep me tight at the bottom.

I tend to breathe in and out at the bottom, expanding my chest and flaring my lats at the same time for tightness when I do. I've never tried breathing at the top.

• Options
    Oden wrote: »
    I went to the gym for the first time in over six months the other night but I think I'm bored with weight lifting because I lack specific goals
    I definitely lose motivation when I lose sight of my goals at the gym.

This discussion has been closed.