As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

War Thunder: WW2 Aviation Game (WoWP competitor)

MirioticTableMirioticTable Registered User regular
edited December 2012 in Games and Technology
War thunder right now is a WW2 centered F2P combat game in open beta from the (Russian) makers of IL2 wings of prey. Right now the focus is on aircraft, but army and navy portions are being added (with battleships in private alpha now and tanks planned after that). Anyway the game went open beta about a week ago and it seems no one heard about it because the English servers are mostly empty. Which is kind of surprising since it seems like a really great quality game and from what I've heard (not in WoWP beta) it beats WoWP in virtually every category in terms of gameplay and experience.

http://warthunder.com/en/registration

In arcade mode and historical battle you are absolutely fine using just a mouse, but for realistic battle a joystick will probably be the best, although it's not out yet so I can't say for sure but that's what people say. Also on the "P2W" side, this game probably has the least amount of need for a premium account or spending money of any F2P game I've seen besides ones from Valve and even the stuff for real money is very cheap.

It features three modes for different types of players:
Arcade Mode- Simplified flight model with less spin outs and stuff like compression along with in air re-arming and basically a simple version of WW2 air combat.
Historical battle - Slightly more realistic flight model, landing to re-arm, etc.
Realistic Battle - Full-sim mode (not on beta server yet)

There aren't enough players on EU server, so you will have to set to any available server to avoid queue times, this is actually not so bad as I play normally with a 300-400 ping and can barely notice it thanks to magic Russian code (from US west).

Nice fan made trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwbm6xSXabM

Here are some actual screenshots of my Japanese A6M3 zero, note this was on my E5050 and HD 5700 computer with about 30-40 fps (or something like that, not a computer guy, but it runs on most anything)
QW5f1.jpg
hXyjK.jpg

Anyway it's worth giving a try if you like WW2 history, air combat, or just a fun arcadey f2p game. The starting planes are kind of painful to use though, since they don't have tiered matchmaking in yet so you can end up fighting a Me 262 in a biplane, but once you get a few ranks in your country of choice it starts getting to the point you can get a few kills each game.

here are the future/release planned planes
http://warthunder.com/en/game/releasetree/

Planned changes and releases
http://warthunder.com/en/game/roadmap/

For those new to the strategies/history of WW2 Airpower
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu5vX86TdIU&feature=plcp

MirioticTable on

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Wow, you weren't kidding about nobody knowing about this. I hadn't heard about it at all, but it sounds pretty neat. That's a fairly good fan trailer too. I'm glad they're putting the effort into adding the realistic mode - if there were ever a time to dumb down IL-2, it would be for a F2P game, but they're staying hardcore. I never really got into IL-2 because multiplayer is what I really enjoy in these sort of dogfighting games and IL-2's multiplayer seemed a little too hardcore for me. I'll definitely check this out. If I find time.

• MirioticTableMirioticTable Registered User regular
    Wow, you weren't kidding about nobody knowing about this. I hadn't heard about it at all, but it sounds pretty neat. That's a fairly good fan trailer too. I'm glad they're putting the effort into adding the realistic mode - if there were ever a time to dumb down IL-2, it would be for a F2P game, but they're staying hardcore. I never really got into IL-2 because multiplayer is what I really enjoy in these sort of dogfighting games and IL-2's multiplayer seemed a little too hardcore for me. I'll definitely check this out. If I find time.

Yeah, I pretty much have never played a flight-sim game before, unless you count spending 30 minutes hopelessly twiddling with controls trying to take off or doing anything useful before war thunder. It definitely has some bad points though like starting off in bi-planes versus late era ww2 fighters but I guess that's standard for F2p.

haha what, I have to start off in a biplane? I would be pissed off if that weren't so funny. I don't like the grindy nature of F2P games but since presumably the only grindy stuff here is "earn better planes" I don't have much of an issue with that - it's a challenge to take down people in better planes with my crappier plane, and I'm guessing player skill does most of the work, so if I'm a good pilot I should be fine. I hope.

• SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    I got into this a few days ago, actually.

It's from the Wings of Prey developers, and that shows a lot - the graphics, UI, most of the damage and flight models, even the font are all straight from there. It's pretty much Wings of Prey, with more planes, and built around a F2P model. I'm a big WW2 sim fan, and the realistic mode is pleasantly detailed. Playing on a joystick is far, far superior to trying to finangle around with a mouse in realistic mode, but in arcade mode, a mouse will do okay.

I can't say I adore the fact it's F2P, to be honest, and it takes a long time to get into a realistic mode match compared to an arcade one, but aside from those complaints, it's been solid enough to make me break out the HOTAS and mess around. Just be warned that arcade mode feels really odd coming from a hardcore sim background - low tier fighters take a long time to kill stuff.

I'm in the WoWP beta, and under NDA so I can't say much on that front. ...But there is a totally unrelated reason I'm playing this and not WoWP more.

As for magic netcode, I'm playing from Australia and don't notice any lag when playing on Russian servers. Please, dear god devs, share this code around. It is a thing of beauty.

Suriko on
    haha what, I have to start off in a biplane? I would be pissed off if that weren't so funny. I don't like the grindy nature of F2P games but since presumably the only grindy stuff here is "earn better planes" I don't have much of an issue with that - it's a challenge to take down people in better planes with my crappier plane, and I'm guessing player skill does most of the work, so if I'm a good pilot I should be fine. I hope.

Well, I really am new to the game as well, and haven't explored all the options but I know dynamic missions offer some experience. The other ways are basically shooting the ground targets, hoping to tag enemies for assist kill XP, and generally trying to utilize the best in game turning rate of the biplanes. Also historic battles give XP for simply taking off. Luckily you can quickly hit rank 1 with a country within a few games usually. It's definitely a big problem with the game though, maybe when actual tiers are in it won't be so bad.

New Patch notes:

GROUPING!

Interface:
    * Grouping is now possible for 4 players. For now it's available to everyone, not just Premium players.
    * Added chat and contact lists
    * Added leaderboards.
    * Now you can view player statistics and rank (Select "Player Card" in your Contacts).
    * Added master volume setting
    * Added parameters to display markers on the screen and the map to Sandbox Missions.
    * Changed interface Store
    * Alt-PrntScrn takes screenshot without the UI.
    * Icon preemption now shows the effective range of guns (400m, 700m)
    * Mode viewer: show markers, messages, speed and height, the ability to switch the camera as in Ripley
    * The divebomb reticle has a new look and greater accuracy.
    * The divebomb reticle is turned off in Realistic and Simulation Arcade modes.
    * Bomb Sight (F7): Now works allocation targets for MMB, approximation
    * Airfields now drawn on the radar from a distance, making landing easier.
    * Joystick control stay active until the the map or statistics screens are displayed.
    * A new rocket sight shows distances with useful layout.
    * Added progressbar to country experience in aircraft selection bookmarks
    * You can now create a passworded Sandbox.
    * Statistics Screen - Icons and colors are now displayed showing aircraft class (fighter, bomber, etc.).

Graphics:
    * Improved surf graphics
    * rubbed glass cockpits
    * Permission gamma well when lighting
    * Fog reduced to physically calculated values
    ​​* Improved display of herbs
    * Decal Position is now stored serverside.
    * Fixed effects of combustion engines.
    * Improved support for Nvidia 3D Vision
    * Gun effects and location are improved.

Aircraft:
    * [ADD] He.112, a competitor for the 1933 Luftwaffe competition that eventually selected the BF-109. FM in the configuration process.
    * [ADD] Hawker Fury / Hawker Nimrod. Now the plane is reserved for Britain and the Gladiator - the first level of the aircraft. FM in the configuration process.
    * Bomb modified to: B-17, B-24D, Yak-7B, Yak-1B 35serii LaGG-3, SB-2 (all aircraft), C-2, EP-2 (all aircraft) , Tu-2S, Pe-2 (all aircraft), Wellington (all aircraft), Lancaster
    * Rocket modifications for: Yak-7B, LaGG-3 35serii, Pe-2 with 21 series
    * Fuel modifications for: Yak-3, IL -2, IL-2M, IL-4
    * Improved simulation of the behavior of airborne gunners on bombers;
    * Implemented separate fuel tanks. Fuel only leaks out of leaky tanks now, and not out of tanks with no leak. Grouped fuel tanks will be implemented in the future.
    * Added proper separation of reports of overheating. Now that the engine is overheating the message about overheating engine, not water, as it was before.
    * Slats now move on the aircraft. This is a visual modification only. Impact to the FM is a work in progress.
    * Fixed display of the indicator lesions for three-motor aircraft.
    * At realism levels of "Realistic" and above, the option to automatically restart a stalled engine has been removed.
    * Improved behavior model carburetor float: more accurate modeling of the float chamber to achieve more realistic behavior of the carburetor.
    * Changed overheated engines: standing on Springfield engine will overheat, so the same as the low-speed and high-power modes. Customizing each aircraft will be made ​​in a future update.
    * Improved Instructor: reduced control pressure when approaching critical angle of attack.
    * Fixed a bug where bombs do no damage in certain circumstances.
    * Damaged ailerons, flaps, rudders can lodge.
    * Fuel Tanks no longer indicate they are leaking when the leak has stopped.
    * Fixed designed tanks when they could not heal.

Game modes:
    * In historical battles, respawn can be turned off.
    * In realistic combat, respawn is off
    * In the sandbox you can now choose, with or without respawn and/or Economics:
    * For the "normal" aircraft modification you can buy that gives a bonus to the experience.
    * Added bonus reward premium aircraft.
    * Time tracking and expiration now displayed for Premium accounts.
    Replays:
    * Added compatibility display version and replay.
    * Added option to rename a replay.
    * Added option to auto-save replays in the menu settings.
    * Removed arcade sight in the third person when watching replays.
    * Fixed a bug that caused the display to the replay of another aircraft instead of actually flying,

Network:
    * reduce the peak load on the channel user
    * Improved network synchronization orientation planes removed jerks at slow rotation;
    * Fixed a bug that caused you to fall through the earth from the deck of an aircraft carrier;
    * Fixed a bug that caused the loss of the aircraft if you nose-over after respawn on the runway;

Sound:
    * Voice shooters firing on aircraft other players.
    * Improved weapon sounds - new sounds for each type of machine gun or cannon.
    * Various improvements to the radio chatter.

Other:
    * Added support the Gametrix Jetseat.
    * Fixed premature appearance of bombs during their charge.
    * Your death notice now shows the correct player and aircraft, even if that player has changed planes in the hangar already.
    * Added localized descriptions of critical errors
    * Added streaks: "Bomber Rescuer" and "Savior of ground vehicles"
    * Fixed streak "Who needs an Engine?" - now the engine is shut off
    * Setting axes: relative switching for a set - to turn heads
    * Easy management afterburner with the mouse depending on the "Hold gas afterburner"

List of aircraft with a tuned FM or DM. Some are complete.
    [JAP] A5M4, A6M2, A6M2-N, A6M3, A6M3 mod 22, A6M5, A6M5 Ko, G4M1, Ki-10-I, Ki-10-IC, Ki-10-II, Ki-10-II C, Ki-200, Ki-43-II, Ki-61-Ia, Ki-61-Ib, Ki-61-Ic, N1K2-J, N1K2-Ja

[USA] B-17G, F4U-1A, F4U-1C, F4U-1D, P-26A-33, P-26A-34 M2, P-26B-35, P-38G, P-39K-1, P-39N-0, P-39Q-5, P-40E-1, P-40E-1, P-47D, P-51D-5, SBD-3, XP-38G

[GER] Bf109 E-3, Bf109 F-4, Bf109 F-4/trop, Bf109 G-10, Bf109 G-2, Bf109 G-6, Bf109 K-4, Fw190 A-5, Fw190 D-12, Fw190 D-13, Fw190 F-8, Ta 152 H-1,

[ITA] CR.42 Falco, G.50 serie 2, G.50 serie 7AS, MC200 serie 3, MC200 serie 7, MC202,

[GBR] Fury Mk.I, Fury Mk.II, Gladiator Mk II, Gladiator Mk IIF, Gladiator Mk IIS, Hurricane Mk I, Hurricane Mk II, Lancaster Mk III, Meteor F.3, Meteor F.4 LW, Meteor F.4 SW, Mosquito FB Mk VI, Mustang Mk IA, Nimrod Mk.I, Nimrod Mk.II, Sea Meteor F.3, Spitfire Mk I, Spitfire Mk II, Spitfire Mk IX, Spitfire Mk Vb, Spitfire Mk Vc, Spitfire Mk XVI, Swordfish Mk I, Typhoon Mk.1a, Typhoon Mk.1b, Typhoon Mk.1b late,

[RUS] Pe-2-1, Pe-2-110, Pe-2-205, Pe-2-21, Pe-2-359, Pe-2-83, Pe-3 , Pe-3 early, Pe-3bis, Su-2 M-82, Su-2 MV-5, Su-2 TSS-1,

• DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    I got accepted into Beta for this thing ages ago (and a complete surprise as to what the heck it was.)

This was a month or so after I tried WOWP and came out unimpressed, so I never really gave this thing a shot. F2P is not exactly my current favorite model, either, but WW2 aviation is great... decisions, decisions.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2012
    I cannot begin to state how wary I am that a person who literally signed up four days again wants to tell us about some game in the sincere expression of spreading joy and not because a company hired him to do so.

Don't be surprised if I kill this thread.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited December 2012
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    I cannot begin to state how wary I am that a person who literally signed up four days again wants to tell us about some game in the sincere expression of spreading joy and not because a company hired him to do so.

Don't be surprised if I kill this thread.

Eh I am not paid to market this game. You can find me in game as Royalwave, and I really doubt they would hire some random person from AZ to post this. Not sure how I would prove so though. I got into open beta about 6 days ago and was pretty impressed with the game. I understand why you guys would be worried about that, but honestly I've been around P-A community a long time and even remember playing some legions with Tycho on the same server .. tribes-clone on torque.
    http://i.imgur.com/9rxdP.jpg

Although honestly having been around gaming communities, pretty much every OP is an advertisement for a game, and this one is just as legit and from a fan of said game not a shill.

If you do decide to delete or close the thread, I would pretty much understand it as I pretty much never posted here before and usually kept to the front page and comics, but if you do so, don't do so on fear of me being a shill for the game. Also would recommend changing rules on thread creation as I checked all rules if new registrations could make threads and saw nothing to the contrary.

MirioticTable on
    Ahaha oh man I thought I was the only one who remembered Legions.

So this thing is taking forever to patch and I don't have much gaming time this week and what little I have has been spent checking out the CoH 2 alpha but I'm sure I'll end up in an airplane at some point. And @Rorus Raz you should chill out man, I mean I'm the first to shit all over people who are here to shill stuff but this doesn't really smell like the "lol I'm just a fan" shit that rightly gets closed.

• OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Is it possible to saturate a market with something that is free*?

I'm so done with F2P right now. Between PS2, War Z, MWO, and (not that I play it all anymore :/) WoT I'm very burnt out on F2P.

Edit: That was more hostile than intended. I love the Battlestations Pacific games, so if anything could be like that I would be thrilled, but this game doesn't grab me with the prospects of starting in a biplane...

OpposingFarce on
  • Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    The compelling reasons to build a new gaming rig just keep piling up. It's like a second renaissance of flight sims and space sims out there.

Yeah, the PC has been getting some amazing strategy games, too, but those run on my current system just fine.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
    Is it possible to saturate a market with something that is free*?

I'm so done with F2P right now. Between PS2, War Z, MWO, and (not that I play it all anymore :/) WoT I'm very burnt out on F2P.

Edit: That was more hostile than intended. I love the Battlestations Pacific games, so if anything could be like that I would be thrilled, but this game doesn't grab me with the prospects of starting in a biplane...

I agree with this. I think the F2P model can work very well for some types of games (like Planetside 2, where raw player count is one of the biggest drawcards), but it's being shoehorned into everything nowadays.

War Thunder is a good game, but the F2P aspect is without a doubt a downside. I'd gladly just pay for a boxed version to get my simulation on than deal with grinding planes, earning currencies, research, and lack of any real singleplayer.

Well the IL-2 games still exist and are presumably still good so there's that.

edited December 2012
    TychoCelchuuu on

After the disappointment of Cliffs of Dover and Wings of Prey, I'll keep my expectations in check.

Rise of Flight, though, was pretty solid aside from their payment model. It was nice to see WW1 getting some love.

It was getting my hopes up till I saw the 2014 release :(

• G. CactusG. Cactus Registered User regular
    This is seriously fun. It's definitely rough around the edges, and downloading it and getting it to run can be near-nightmarish, and they sure keep you in those damn biplanes for a long time. The fun, however, is weighty enough to counterbalance all that.

• ThumpenThumpen Registered User regular
    This game is WEEEEEE. However, I've only made it to rank 4 as the highest so far, so I haven't really experienced anything like the full thing yet. For anyone thinking of getting into this and who likes bombers: Play Japan or US to rank 3, get a H6K4 or Catalina ASAP. They drap bamb and isn't afraid of anything. Seriously. I regularly get more air victories in those than in my fighters.

Thumpen wrote: »
    This game is WEEEEEE. However, I've only made it to rank 4 as the highest so far, so I haven't really experienced anything like the full thing yet. For anyone thinking of getting into this and who likes bombers: Play Japan or US to rank 3, get a H6K4 or Catalina ASAP. They drap bamb and isn't afraid of anything. Seriously. I regularly get more air victories in those than in my fighters.
    G. Cactus wrote: »
    This is seriously fun. It's definitely rough around the edges, and downloading it and getting it to run can be near-nightmarish, and they sure keep you in those damn biplanes for a long time. The fun, however, is weighty enough to counterbalance all that.

Some new tips I've learned lately.

Bombing is the best way to farm XP, Heavy bombers give 4x xp on ground targets compared to a fighter killing them or something like that. So Loading up on attack planes or bombers early on will get you XP the fastest. For Germany, I really found putting bombs on all five planes, since the BF109 and ME410 can carry 250-500kg bombs improved my leveling speed a ton.

Just to give some progress on leveling speed, after about 11 days of premium, maybe 40 hours of playing in that time, I'm 9 Germany, 9 Japan, and 7 USA. I'd definitely recommend not doing Japan because they don't have much plane selection and Germany was a lot more fun. USA is a blast too if you like blowing up ground targets with rockets and bombs.

• Fantastication2Fantastication2 Registered User regular
    Just as a note to anyone considering this and finding this thread like I did:

The security of yuplay (through which accounts are made and payments are processed) is shocking. Your password is sent by email after account creation, which is bad. If you change your password, they then send the new password by email, which is terrible.

I wouldn't trust that they haven't screwed up the security on the payment side of things at all.

• LowlanderLowlander Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    This game is pretty fun. I don't know if I'd spend money on it, but I had a friend who had a friend who played both this and it's competition and liked this one much better.

I like that you can repair planes over time without paying. For low tier aircraft it's negligible like 15 minutes or so, middle tier aircraft can take a couple of hours, and the top tiers can take days. The thing that is convenient about it is that you could leave a plane that might take one day to repair for free, and when you come back ten hours later, the repair cost is prorated down for the time you left the plane idle. The longest repair time I've personally encountered is three and a half hours, but I only have planes up to tier six out of twenty.

Lowlander on
    steam_sig.png
  • FalvesFalves Registered User regular
    I was surprised by this game about a couple of weeks ago, I'm a military aviation enthusiast and I've always enjoyed flight sims, altho not to the point of extreme realism most FS fans do.

The good:
    Incredibly fun, in arcade mode the aerial battles can be adrenaline infused moments of triumph... or defeat.
    The graphics engine is very impressive, it renders some very pretty graphics without stressing your machine at all.
    The net code is also impressive, haven't experienced any sort of lag, warping, rubberbanding, etc.
    Its free. Seriously, no matter what people say, just because its free to play doesn't automatically means its shit. I've been playing WoT for a while now, haven't spend a dime on it and had lots of fun. The business model is pretty similar.
    Low(est) tier battles are not a grind, in fact, biplane dogfights are a lot of fun and a decent way to make money and, to some extent, XP.

The bad:
    People get an annoying bug where the graphics freeze yet the game still runs (to the point of you hearing your unattended plane crash into the ground). I had this happening to me 3 times already, my friends get it too.
    I can see the XP grind become a burden if you don't invest in premium and if the level progression curve doesn't flatten.
    A little limited in the number of maps and planes for now (think WoT when it was released).
    Can be infuriating at times when the luck factor stacks up against you, e.g.: filling an enemy plane full of wholes for 10 seconds but missing any critical component when his friend comes and one shots you. (I guess it's always going to happen in any online shooter type)

Overall, a lot of fun for free, very nice to play with friends and highly recommendable.

• sliver911sliver911 Registered User regular
    I'm highly addicted to this game at the moment. Would be cool to play with some of you guys.

My in game name is - Sliver6

I think they threw the 6 on the end of my name themselves. Awesome.

Would be cool if we could throw a in game player names list in the OP.

• scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    started this yesterday meinly because of the pretty pics in the screenshot thread. only done arcade so far but it is fun. 30 seconds wait time for matches, got my first three german fighters unlocked. also became a bit less terrible towards the end of my session yesterday. probably going to find out when I log in today that this was mostly the pleasant side effect of beers :)

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    It's a fun game. I say this as someone who played WoT from the closed beta onward and came to hate it--it doesn't quite make some of the same mistakes.

I have a objection on principle to charging people for in-game currency during the beta phase, but hey, whatever. If people want to spend, let them I guess. In the mean time, I'm having a decent amount of fun--strangely, I have the most success with Japanese aircraft, though I'm also trying German and Soviet (I'm hoping for my FW-190).

• VelmeranVelmeran Registered User regular
    I played this for a little while and enjoyed it, though stopped after a while as solo queuing wasn't really my cup of tea and none of my friends do flight sims. One suggestion I have for new players is that the starter planes have no Cannons, and so have a very hard time taking down enemy aircraft reliably. I concentrated instead in my matches on the ground forces and it helped get me a lot of XP/money so that I was able to get the first plane upgrade with a cannon and then really start shooting people out of the sky reliably.

Vechloran.png
  • sliver911sliver911 Registered User regular
    For whatever reason (newb syndrome) I've been able to tag people out of the sky with my bi-planes...

Their guns suck, but if you're able to get up behind someone nice and close, it doesn't matter. Yes, getting better planes is probably a priority, but really mastering the controls is most important I believe, along with some other simple strategies.

Don't rush in by yourself. Hang back a bit and hunt those lone rangers that have made the mistake of rushing in themselves.

Help your team! Cut off attackers or interrupt a dog fight for easy kills.

Or, like Velmeran said, go for ground targets for some easy XP. However, keep in mind that ground targets destroyed by gunners don't rack up as much XP as destroying enemy planes. Apparently you get double the XP if you destroy a ground target as a bomber? I think that's right..

Again, if you don't want to play alone just leave your game name on here. I'll at least add you up and go for a fly

edited March 2013
    yeah that was the beergoggles yesterday, still pretty terribad. same name ingame as here if anybody wants to keep a tab on how often they down me on the euro servers. get a 100 kills and I'll buy you a beer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNay2XGeiws

scherbchen on
    edited March 2013
    I just wish more people played Historical Battle, so that the matchmaking didn't spazz out and put jets against biplanes. And also that HB had Japanese instead of just German and British.

I need the lions, as I keep losing money in Arcade :(

Suriko on
    I just turn auto-repair off. I'm not high enough level where I can have damaged aircraft in all of my nations at the same time. When they get fixed, I play them again.

steam_sig.png
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Just FYI you might want to pick up any planes you've been looking at before 1.29 hits.

They're rejiggering the economy and one of changes is purchase costs have been going up.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • JorilJoril BelgiumRegistered User regular
    This game has my soul.
    If there are any EU players on here, I'm interested in squadding up!

bonesnacksig.jpg
    edited March 2013
    I am EU! probably might be helpful which mode you play and what your skill level is... etc

me: EU player
    name (ingame): scherbchen
    skill lvl: I get 4 kills/assists and I think I am ice.... *brushes off imaginary dust off shoulder* MAN! /topgun
    highest lvl of nation: lvl 4 Germany

oh and arcade only this far

scherbchen on
  • JorilJoril BelgiumRegistered User regular
    Ha, fair enough :) I'm "Joril" on there. And my highest is US at lvl 9, German is at lvl 7, around 4 for Brits and Russians. And to my shame I have to admit a lvl 0 for the Japanese. And of course, I play arcade most of all.
    Reason being.. I want a bloody OP plane to get into HBs xD (granted I did buy the Dora pack, so that FW190D looks pretty tempting ;) )

bonesnacksig.jpg
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    Gamepad support?

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    Dashui wrote: »
    Gamepad support?

It has full gamepad/joystick support. There are three fight modes: Arcade/Historical Battle/Full Realistic Battle. In arcade mode, which is where 90% of the games are there is a simplified flight model with AI assistance. Because of this you will be at a serious disadvantage if you don't play with mouse and keyboard. Historical Battle uses a simplified flight model. It's possible to do with kbam but unless you're flying a bomber, you're not going to be able out fly somebody who has a joystick and knows what they're doing. Full realistic battles uses an advanced flight model with basically no hud elements. You don't get a 'radar' and your enemies names don't glow in red over their plane. With the advanced flight model, I don't think they even give you the option of using kbam.

steam_sig.png
    a weird thing has happened today. I tried the US planes and liked them...

Eh... I think the US planes are totally weak. I want to like them, but they rarely have cannons, they don't have the engines to be good boom n zoomers like the Germans, and they don't have the maneuverability to be good turn fighters like the Japanese or Russians.

steam_sig.png
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    They also don't die to a stiff wind, either.

Also, they have half a dozen cobra variants if you're worried about firepower.

The problem with the US tree is that because its unfinished, it kinda runs out of steam later in the tree. Between the mustang at 13 and the Sabre all you get are B-17 variants.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682