As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

You haven't heard [The Last of Us]

manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?!Registered User regular
edited April 2013 in Games and Technology
No topic on this for the past 15 pages or so, so unless there's another official thread, I figured I'd make a new one.

Inspired by City of Thieves, I Am Legend, No Country for Old Men, The Road, and The Walking Dead, the Last of Us is a PS3 exclusive, post apocalyptic action adventure game. A cross species outbreak of Cordyceps Unilateralis, a very real and nasty parasitic fungus, has left the world in ruins. Humanity has been reduced to a handful of survivors, either living in the lawless, infected wasteland or within small, military policed communities. Joel, a grizzled survivor and Ellie, a teen forced to grow up quickly, must travel across America in search of... something. Many story details are still unknown at this point. What you should know.

A focus on the emotional aftermath of the end of civilized society, much like the Telltale Walking Dead game.
A gritty and appropriate use of violence (no Han Solo quips after slaughtering a pack if bandits).
Enemy AI that reacts to the player.
Holy cow this game looks good.

Official release date is June 14th, 2013

New Story Trailer from 2012 Spike VGA:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGY9uXAoI-8
First Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLGxubfC1Ik
Gameplay trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZYkj0glnqs

Pre-Order stuff:

Sights and Sounds Pack - Pre-Order Anywhere

The official soundtrack of the game
A PS3 dynamic theme featuring the cover art
Two avatars for your PSN profile – Winter Joel and Winter Ellie

Survival Pack - Pre-Order at GameStop (will get Sights and Sounds Pack as well)
Bonus experience points for multiplayer
A multiplayer melee attack booster
Some extra starting in-game cash
Special customizable character items for multiplayer
Two special bonus skins for Joel and Ellie which will be unlocked after your complete the single player campaign

manwiththemachinegun on

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    Worth mentioning is the two Pre-Order Bonuses that were just announced in The Playstation Blog.
    Sights and Sounds Pack - Pre-Order Anywhere

The official soundtrack of the game
    A PS3 dynamic theme featuring the cover art
    Two avatars for your PSN profile – Winter Joel and Winter Ellie
    Survival Pack - Pre-Order at GameStop (will get Sights and Sounds Pack as well)

Bonus experience points for multiplayer
    A multiplayer melee attack booster
    Some extra starting in-game cash
    Special customizable character items for multiplayer
    Two special bonus skins for Joel and Ellie which will be unlocked after your complete the single player campaign

That kind of stealth announces that there will be Multiplayer, but they haven't described it yet and don't intend to right away.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Added to OP.

Anyway, if early reaction is anything to go by, this may very well be a GOTY 2013 contender. After the success of The Walking Dead game, I can't wait.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Man I can't wait for this game.

• Options
    It's a huge relief to have a release date in sight, and it's not THAT far off. Not sure I could handle another full year wait.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I was excited for it until I saw that big 45 minute gameplay trailer several months ago. The game is ridiculously pretty but the gameplay is so been there done that and monstrously boring it killed any and all interest I had in it.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I bought a PS3 (Well, re-bought a PS3) immediately after this game was announced. Can't wait!

A little disappointed to hear about multiplayer in the game, though.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    EVERY goddamn game has multiplayer in it nowadays whether it thematically needs it or not. Ah well, with luck that probably won't affect single player.

Looking forward to seeing how the world deals with fungus zombies.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    This game just looks better and better every time I see something new from it. Love the VGA trailer.

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    EVERY goddamn game has multiplayer in it nowadays whether it thematically needs it or not. Ah well, with luck that probably won't affect single player.

Looking forward to seeing how the world deals with fungus zombies.

Considering Uncharted's MP, at least it won't be terrible.

• Options
    Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    I need to read The Passage to tide me over for this. Right now, I'm more excited for this game than any other in 2013, and the first half of next year is jam packed.

• Options
    If you haven't played the Telltale Walking Dead game yet, you should. I hope Last of Us is amazing, and they're different genres, but I just want to be as invested in the story as I was when playing the Walking Dead.

• Options
    Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    If you haven't played the Telltale Walking Dead game yet, you should. I hope Last of Us is amazing, and they're different genres, but I just want to be as invested in the story as I was when playing the Walking Dead.

No matter how good this game may or may not be, I can see one area where The Walking Dead has a leg up is choice. If I didn't have a say in the proceedings I wouldn't be anywhere near as involved in The Walking Dead's story.

On the other hand ND is very good at humanizing their characters through getting great voice actors and mo-cap, and their moment-to-moment dialogue is usually pretty good too.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Im pretty sure this game will be awesome, but im also sure I wont care as much about notEllen Page as I did for Clementine.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Clementine is clearly there to grab your emotions and throttle them until you collapse in a withering pool. The relationship with Ellie is part guardian/ward, but it's more... equal in terms of what she's capable of. Ellie is already a grizzled survivor who doesn't know anything other than the world gone crazy, Clem was an innocent forced to adapt.

Basically, I'm not expecting the same sort of connection, but that doesn't mean the character won't be excellent. I love the scene with Bill where she just starts wailing on him and threatening him, and Joel has to calm her down and tell her to shut up. :p

• Options
    edited February 2013
    manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Yup, I don't think this game is for me. Too tense.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    I had no idea this game had zombies in it.
    I thought it was just dudes. But nope, it's got scary fungal zombies in it. So that's terrifying.

• Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    Funny, I remember watching Planet Earth or whichever BBC doc it was with the cordyceps fucking up all those different insects and thinking "Man, what if there was one for people?".

I'm glad Naughty Dog had the same thought.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Rizzi wrote: »
    I had no idea this game had zombies in it.
    I thought it was just dudes. But nope, it's got scary fungal zombies in it. So that's terrifying.

You know what's better? The infection in the game is based entirely on a real fungus that attacks insects, primarily ants. It can control them to climb the stem of a plant and then bursts through their skull to release its spores ready to infect another insect. And that infects humans in the world of The Last of Us. CANNOT WAIT.

• Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    Well that's horrifying.

• Options
    Quick, someone post that YouTube video of it happening!

• Options
    I suppose human infection is entirely possible, right? Just snort some spores or infected ants.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    Quick, someone post that YouTube video of it happening!

Boom!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuKjBIBBAL8

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    I suppose human infection is entirely possible, right? Just snort some spores or infected ants.

joke question right?

no, controlling the behaviour of an ant is different and less difficult than controlling the behaviour of a human.

• Options
    Nuzak wrote: »

joke question right?

no, controlling the behaviour of an ant is different and less difficult than controlling the behaviour of a human.

Would the 'eating away at the insides' bit be within the realms of possibility though? And it wouldn't need to control the person. Just be like in the game where it would drive the person insane.

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    I just think it's cool that between this and ACIII we are getting AAA games set in Boston.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    LitanyLitany Registered User regular
    edited February 2013

joke question right?

Would the 'eating away at the insides' bit be within the realms of possibility though? And it wouldn't need to control the person. Just be like in the game where it would drive the person insane.

Can't rabies do that to humans? Hell, can't the flu in untreated and extreme cases?

Litany on
    Steam: Litany || PSN: Litany- || Nintendo Network ID: Litany
  • Options

joke question right?

Coulda sworn I had read somewhere about a plant that did something similar as a way to ward off predators. Humans victims complained of massive headaches and blackouts.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    I just think it's cool that between this and ACIII we are getting AAA games set in Boston.

Fallout 4, coming soon!

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    I thought this was supposed to be set in Pittsburgh for some reason.

Cordyceps at least is keyed to particular species. The video shows it fucking up a whole bunch of different insects, but I don't think there's anything to suggest a version that fucks with humans is real so much as that the idea of it is scary as fuck and works for an apocalyptic scenario.

• Options
    I think there's just a part of the game in Boston, but there were a lot of concept art photos that showed Pittsburgh, I think.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular

joke question right?

There are, like, a bajilion human parasites, yes.

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Arg why does this have to be a PS3 exclusive. :(

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    Heir wrote: »
    Arg why does this have to be a PS3 exclusive. :(

Because you also need to buy Ni No Kuni?

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular

joke question right?

Coulda sworn I had read somewhere about a plant that did something similar as a way to ward off predators. Humans victims complained of massive headaches and blackouts.

like alcohol?

• Options
    Sort of new trailer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqBevrgJq0Q

Mostly the same as before, some new examples of some, very, very brutal execution moves though. Including a rather sickening sloooow decapitation. Seriously, look at that guy's face. D:

• Options
  • Options
    This is a game I might force myself to play just because of who's making it, because I have little to no enjoyment of the setting, gruesome violence levels, and the apparent sneak or you die instantly from clickers gameplay.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    New behind the scenes of making the game's environment:

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/xoeccq/the-last-of-us-development-series-episode-2--wasteland-beautiful

I was also really happy to learn the main female character is voiced by Annie Wersching AKA Renee Walker on 24.

• Options
    farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    When this game was first announced forever ago I considered buying a PS3 when it launced, but since its so late in the life cycle of the console I guess I'll just have to hope it is good enough to be ported to PC.