As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

You haven't heard [The Last of Us]

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I am going to be getting the DLC at the end of the month. Hopefully it's good, but I don't know if I actually really want to play any more of this game after I finish the true survivor playthrough (without using the NG+ exploit at that).

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • XobyteXobyte Registered User regular
    Well, if anybody is without and seriously needs to pick it up right now, Best Buy has it on sale for $30.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Xobyte wrote: »
    Well, if anybody is without and seriously needs to pick it up right now, Best Buy has it on sale for $30.

As does Amazon.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    Ah, cool! I guess my dad is getting a free copy of The Last of Us, because I can't imagine not playing the DLC on Friday.

steam_sig.png
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    The DLC is live. There's a 1.06 patch (130MB) and the DLC itself (5GB) to download.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
    Going to pick it up in a couple of weeks.

Vita games have drained my fun coffers.

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Quick question, I just started the game (just past the prologue), should I get the DLC now? ie is it integrated into the main story or can I wait as it's completely separate?

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Quick question, I just started the game (just past the prologue), should I get the DLC now? ie is it integrated into the main story or can I wait as it's completely separate?

Definitely wait.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
    Trajan45 wrote: »

Definitely do not play the DLC before finishing the game.

Or even reading any of the reviews or looking at the spoilers.

Sony's servers were getting absolutely hammered so my 5GB download took forever but I finally got to play it last night and played it non-stop (on hard) until the end. Probably a bad idea to stay up till 3AM but oh well, I'll suffer the exhaustion later in the week. Then I played through it again this afternoon on Survivor, wrapping up everything I missed in the first playthrough.

It's pretty fucking incredible.

• EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    How long did it take to get through?

Etiowsa wrote: »
    How long did it take to get through?

Around 3 and a half hours on my first playthrough.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Ok, so Left Behind is probably some of the best DLC I've played in a while. Only wish is was a bit longer.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Oh god. I had forgotten just how emotionally draining this game is.

Started the DLC, picked up a note and didn't read it right at the prompt so I opened up Ellie's backpack for it and Like in if the first things in there is.
    That toy robot.

Thanks for that Naughty Dog, I'd totally forgotten about it.

This DLC was perfect and the ending...
    Pretty much fits the tone of the games ending. Very abrupt and uncomfortable and intentionally denying of absolute closure.

• VeganVegan Registered User regular
    Dang, I was wondering why they were trying to charge me for Left Behind, and I finally realized that an online pass (what I have) is not the same as a season pass (what I don't have). Heh.

steam_sig.png
  • Arden CaneloArden Canelo Registered User regular
    This is just for anyone that doesn't know. The making of The Last of Us is up on amazon free right now. Watch it and be amazed.
    http://www.destructoid.com/the-last-of-us-making-of-documentary-free-on-amazon-270762.phtml

That was pretty great. Thanks for the link.

• Arden CaneloArden Canelo Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    That was pretty great. Thanks for the link.
    You're most welcome! I liked this line the most > "My favorite video game is making video games." Because that's what I've been doing the past few months and it rocks.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Played it today, loved it. Did the first run on Survivor, and really felt it. At first I got the impression it was more of a story driven thing and it didn't really matter, but once the gameplay kicks in, it kicks hard. Had a way rougher time than I ever did with the main game, though I did a Hard run there first, so I kinda eased into Survivor.

Didn't get enough components to craft a single item. And I looked. Oh, did I look.

Having another run through on Normal or Easy, to pick up some missed cheevos. A couple are hidden, so that'll be fun, but I got a pretty good idea what they're for...

In terms of story!
    I liked it. I wasn't expecting the "current" side of things, with Ellie patching Joel up. Makes sense, can't really have Super Badass Ellie pre-bite, and it was a real nice contrast with the happy Riley mall excursion turning sour compared to the Winter mall excursion starting bad and getting worse...

I guess half the internet lost their shit at Ellie smooching Riley. Thought it was a nice moment, made the impending doom all the worse.

Thinking about how the end of this impacts the end of the main game. Riley says much the same thing as Joel - stay alive, find something to live for. Wonder if she really would've chosen to die for a cure.

Oh brilliant
    edited February 2014
    Played it today, loved it. Did the first run on Survivor, and really felt it. At first I got the impression it was more of a story driven thing and it didn't really matter, but once the gameplay kicks in, it kicks hard. Had a way rougher time than I ever did with the main game, though I did a Hard run there first, so I kinda eased into Survivor.

Didn't get enough components to craft a single item. And I looked. Oh, did I look.

Having another run through on Normal or Easy, to pick up some missed cheevos. A couple are hidden, so that'll be fun, but I got a pretty good idea what they're for...

In terms of story!
    I liked it. I wasn't expecting the "current" side of things, with Ellie patching Joel up. Makes sense, can't really have Super Badass Ellie pre-bite, and it was a real nice contrast with the happy Riley mall excursion turning sour compared to the Winter mall excursion starting bad and getting worse...

I guess half the internet lost their shit at Ellie smooching Riley. Thought it was a nice moment, made the impending doom all the worse.

Thinking about how the end of this impacts the end of the main game. Riley says much the same thing as Joel - stay alive, find something to live for. Wonder if she really would've chosen to die for a cure.

Regarding the ending.
    She most certainly would have chosen to die for a cure. She made that clear to Joel when mentioning all of the people that died instead of her, and for her, and how she should have died a long time ago, but didn't. She was ready for it, she certainly would have wanted it. Which is why she said "Promise me everything you've said about the Fireflys is true." Because whether she knows he's lying to her or not, and I think she does, she had to hear that from him, she had to hear that her death would not have mattered for her to go on.

Viskod on
  • KaimakaKaimaka Registered User regular

Survivor is quite hard. I also play Hard first then Survivor. One part was super easy on hard and very very difficult on Survivor for me.
    The Petville Pets area after the electric water, on hard I just through a bottle to attract the clickers and runners to a central area then I threw a molotov and burnt most of them, maybe one straggler I had to finish off without fire, made easy because I could kill it loudly without attracting anything else. On Surviror I spent about 15-20 minutes on this one checkpoint all because I had not found enough rags and alchohol to make the molotov in the first place. My whole approach had to change and it was sheer luck that I got past it in the end I think.
    I enjoyed that Left Behind had a couple of situations I don't think there was much of in the main game
    Sections with human and infected enemies. I can only think on once instance kind of like that in the main story but it barely counts (Hotel kitchen). I loved that one section in Left Behind where the humans repel down and talk about looking for the old man and the girl near and area with dormant runners. I could just throw a bottle to stir up the runners and clickers and stay in cover and watch as the hunters and infected killed each other. Before killing off whatever survived

2bas2j6qpsiv.gif
    Switch Friend Code: SW-3349-7357-2013
    3DS Friend code: 3093 8504 2352
  • BritishDavidBritishDavid Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    I own a 360 and xbone, thinking of picking up a ps3 just for this game. Because gaika is 12 months away and I'm not convinced it's going to work.

BritishDavid on
    CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
    Kaimaka wrote: »

Survivor is quite hard. I also play Hard first then Survivor. One part was super easy on hard and very very difficult on Survivor for me.
    The Petville Pets area after the electric water, on hard I just through a bottle to attract the clickers and runners to a central area then I threw a molotov and burnt most of them, maybe one straggler I had to finish off without fire, made easy because I could kill it loudly without attracting anything else. On Surviror I spent about 15-20 minutes on this one checkpoint all because I had not found enough rags and alchohol to make the molotov in the first place. My whole approach had to change and it was sheer luck that I got past it in the end I think.
    I enjoyed that Left Behind had a couple of situations I don't think there was much of in the main game
    Sections with human and infected enemies. I can only think on once instance kind of like that in the main story but it barely counts (Hotel kitchen). I loved that one section in Left Behind where the humans repel down and talk about looking for the old man and the girl near and area with dormant runners. I could just throw a bottle to stir up the runners and clickers and stay in cover and watch as the hunters and infected killed each other. Before killing off whatever survived

Oho yes, that section.
    I played a lot more conservatively than you, I never had a full clip, never more than 3 arrows, and bottles were torturously rare. I found plenty of bricks, but Ellie's lack of upper body strength makes them useless compared to the free Clicker kills they are in Joel's manly mitts. I stealthed that entire Clicker room, it was tense but I really had no other option.

When the bandits rappel down, I didn't have a bottle, so I do the next best thing; fire an arrow at one of em, they open fire on me, pulling out the Infected. I didn't have the gear to fight whoever survived, so I sneak around the edge of the room during the battle. It was intense - at one point a guy sees me, aims... and gets jumped from behind by a Clicker. That kinda thing never happened in the main game! :D

Oh brilliant
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    Man this DLC is going to force me to steal my ps3 back from my son. (He is going to be pissed, he plays minecraft on it, I should have gotten him the 360 version but I didn't want to pay for Gold)
    Wish they would just announce a ps4 version already.

PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • CromartyCromarty Danielle Registered User regular
    Just finished the game.
    Winter:
    Having to deal directly with David was okay but the fight should really have ended after the first sneak attack. After the second failed to do it, I felt like I wasn't dealing with a person anymore so much as a boss battle.
    Spring and ending:
    Giraffes!
    I thought for a little while that the game was still giving out components for the sake of immersion. I thought maybe there wouldn't be any fighting in this part. Sure would've been nice.
    I expected civility from the Fireflies and was mightily disappointed, but not surprised. They are worse thugs than the ones that came before them, and Marlene is no more than a bully, demanding Joel's cooperation while telling him choice lies such as "we have no choice" and at the end, pointing a gun at him before speaking a single word.
    Also, did I miss something, or did they never actually ask Ellie for her consent before trying to remove her brain?
    Then Joel finally did what I hoped he would since the first meeting with bandits - he bailed on this fool's errand and kept Ellie from a useless sacrifice. (A platoon of Fireflies died in the process, minus three guys who ran right by my hiding place to search the wing I just left.)
    I like that after he makes up a story about what happened while Ellie was out, she just says "okay" - I think she realizes Joel is lying and decides to go along anyway.
    They didn't save the world or anything, but they got their lives back and returned to a comparatively nice place without any loose plot threads. Sounds like a happy ending to me.

• Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    Cromarty wrote: »
    Just finished the game.
    Winter:
    Having to deal directly with David was okay but the fight should really have ended after the first sneak attack. After the second failed to do it, I felt like I wasn't dealing with a person anymore so much as a boss battle.
    Spring and ending:
    Giraffes!
    I thought for a little while that the game was still giving out components for the sake of immersion. I thought maybe there wouldn't be any fighting in this part. Sure would've been nice.
    I expected civility from the Fireflies and was mightily disappointed, but not surprised. They are worse thugs than the ones that came before them, and Marlene is no more than a bully, demanding Joel's cooperation while telling him choice lies such as "we have no choice" and at the end, pointing a gun at him before speaking a single word.
    Also, did I miss something, or did they never actually ask Ellie for her consent before trying to remove her brain?
    Then Joel finally did what I hoped he would since the first meeting with bandits - he bailed on this fool's errand and kept Ellie from a useless sacrifice. (A platoon of Fireflies died in the process, minus three guys who ran right by my hiding place to search the wing I just left.)
    I like that after he makes up a story about what happened while Ellie was out, she just says "okay" - I think she realizes Joel is lying and decides to go along anyway.
    They didn't save the world or anything, but they got their lives back and returned to a comparatively nice place without any loose plot threads. Sounds like a happy ending to me.

Disagree on winter.
    I like how it felt like a natural way to integrate boss battles into a game set in a "realistic" setting. It even had the Rule of Three!

• CromartyCromarty Danielle Registered User regular
    In a "realistic" setting, I expect a regular unarmored guy to die when I stab him in the neck.

How can you expect that when
    clickers ignore ai followers running around and Joel is a bullet sponge.

• VeganVegan Registered User regular
    This is just for anyone that doesn't know. The making of The Last of Us is up on amazon free right now. Watch it and be amazed.
    http://www.destructoid.com/the-last-of-us-making-of-documentary-free-on-amazon-270762.phtml

The cool thing about this is that you also get $1 promo credit for Amazon MP3 when you "buy" the documentary.

steam_sig.png
  • madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    Cromarty wrote: »
    Just finished the game.
    Spring and ending:
    They did not. Hypocritical assholes, all they had to do was lay it out for her 100% truth, and she would have hopped up on the table herself, only their vaunted principles of freedom and returning to "who we used to be" disappeared as soon as they became inconvenient. Wipe them out. All of them.

So I just got a ps3 and the last of us! Late to the party I know, I started playing the game on hard and I'm terrified, when I enter environments I want to get all the collectables so I feel like I have to kill everything. Should I do an easy run and the. New game + it? Does that work?

CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • KaimakaKaimaka Registered User regular
    @BritishDavid I would say finish your Hard run to enjoy the story, then try to get any collectibles you missed on you survivor run or Hard+ with all you skills and weapons as they were when you first finished. Unless you're playing through with a guide you're bound to miss something on you first go round so don't worry about missing stuff if it's you first time experiencing the story. I also played on hard first then watched my brother play on normal. Hard looked like the 'realistic' scarcity of resources that made sense to the story. On normal my brother often had maxed out on items and the crafting components.

2bas2j6qpsiv.gif
    Switch Friend Code: SW-3349-7357-2013
    3DS Friend code: 3093 8504 2352
    edited February 2014
    I'm early in the game and I'm in an urban/back garden setting, you basically have to blast your thought the clickers right? Or can you sneak your way?

BritishDavid on
    CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
    You can sneak. You can nearly always avoid clickers if I'm remembering correctly.

• BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Brick is your friend. Brick is life.

For clickers, exchange brick for bottle and his friend Molotov. If you can get 3 clickers to chase a bottle to one spot, that's absolutely worth dousing them with a molotov. 2 is usually worth it too, but I tried to look for any alternate solutions first before making that trade.

edited February 2014
    So maybe tats something unique to clickers, because I'm loving the game, but it's a myth every encounter can be stealthed. I think the game wants you to feel like you fucked up and oh shit now you have to deal with it, but really while the fuck up is non linear, you have to fuck up, I'm thinking for example of the
    school bus parking lot
    you can take out a few stealth, but then you turn a corner and the game forces you to go loud and kill everything. Like I said loving the game, but there not really a freedom of play style all the way through.

BritishDavid on
    CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    You don't even need to lead with a bottle if you're in a small enough area

Clickers will run to the sound of a molotov and burn themselves to death

dN0T6ur.png
    So maybe tats something unique to clickers, because I'm loving the game, but it's a myth every encounter can be stealthed. I think the game wants you to feel like you fucked up and oh shit now you have to deal with it, but really while the fuck up is non linear, you have to fuck up, I'm thinking for example of the
    school bus parking lot
    you can take out a few stealth, but then you turn a corner and the game forces you to go loud and kill everything. Like I said loving the game, but there not really a freedom of play style all the way through.

Oh there's absolutely forced encounters, and you can usually feel em coming cause some drums will kick in or something. :P

But the vast majority of Clickers can be stealthed. It's just that sometimes it's way easier to go loud with a molotov or something, thin the pack and then stealth it, since aggro'd Clickers can be outrun and they'll calm down again.

Oh brilliant
    edited February 2014
    Also, I have 42 inch tele, any opinion on if I should run the game at 720p or force the game to 1080p via the ps3?

Incendetly i find this game too tense to play for more than 30 minutes at a time, my nerves are fried after every encounter.

BritishDavid on
    CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    I just got done watching Children of Men. Fine film and kind of an interesting contrast with Last of Us, story-wise -- very different approaches to the "escort the girl who's the last hope of humanity".