As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[SPACE HULK] - SPACE WOLVES SPACE WOLVES SPACE WOLVES (pg 8!)

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    I never got a chance to play Necromunda but I freakin LOVED Mordhiem's system of small squads and RPG mechanics (and monthly updates for it in White Dwarf while it was en vogue, featuring new gear, factions and hirable NPCs).

Has anyone tried the recently released card/deck game of Space Hulk or whorls that be considered blasphemous?

newSig.jpg
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »
    I never got a chance to play Necromunda but I freakin LOVED Mordhiem's system of small squads and RPG mechanics (and monthly updates for it in White Dwarf while it was en vogue, featuring new gear, factions and hirable NPCs).

Has anyone tried the recently released card/deck game of Space Hulk or whorls that be considered blasphemous?

The Fantasy Flight co-op game?

Yes, get it, it's fun as a solo romp and good enough co-op (but for the love of god, play to the rule of hidden cards, it may not make sense in the co-op set up but it works). Can't recomend it enough for the price.

If people are looking for Space Hulk kinda games to put some time into, I can't recommend Claustrophobia enough.

• KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    As in the Netherlands, the German version of the game was published under the name Star Quest to tie-in with HeroQuest, which, at that time, was very popular amongst German children. The translation tones down most of the violent game elements: The aliens are "robots", not living creatures. A player does not kill a robot, the robot is merely removed from this dimension or gets caught by the effects of the weapons and is not harmed at all. Although for example the "Assault Cannon" can quite easily be recognized as a type of machine gun, in the German version it is called "Zero Time Gun" and its effect is explained as "time bubbles" slowing down the enemy.

And you guys wonder why we Germans are fucked up in the head.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • AustralopitenicoAustralopitenico Registered User regular
    Klyka wrote: »
    As in the Netherlands, the German version of the game was published under the name Star Quest to tie-in with HeroQuest, which, at that time, was very popular amongst German children. The translation tones down most of the violent game elements: The aliens are "robots", not living creatures. A player does not kill a robot, the robot is merely removed from this dimension or gets caught by the effects of the weapons and is not harmed at all. Although for example the "Assault Cannon" can quite easily be recognized as a type of machine gun, in the German version it is called "Zero Time Gun" and its effect is explained as "time bubbles" slowing down the enemy.

Man, that's just sad. Every child should get the chance to do some serious xenos-purging every once in a while.

Cleanse the Xenos scum with TIME BUBBLES.

Somehow this is no less wacky than the alternatives.

Plus Vortex Grenades are already tottaly a cannon thing.

• Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular

So what? in the Warhammer 40K: Space Marine game the Marine "hugged" orks out of existence?

So what? in the Warhammer 40K: Space Marine game the Marine "hugged" orks out of existence?

Nah, nowadays most games aren't really censored anymore and if they are it's just stuff like "heads don't explode on human enemies" or something like that.
    Most gamers who actually care about this just buy the PEGI version from Austria which basically every shop carries.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I like that Germany, the country that has caused more bloodshed over the past hundred years than probably any other nation on Earth, is so up in arms about violence in entertainment.

I like that Germany, the country that has caused more bloodshed over the past hundred years than probably any other nation on Earth, is so up in arms about violence in entertainment.

You just answered your own question there.
    It's precisely because of all the history/fear mongering, that the government came up with all these ridiculous censorship rules/laws.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    Censorship never really makes sense to me as a concept.

However, I now desperately want a 'hug genestealer till it pops' button in the game.

• Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular

No... they DANCED!

SH_dance-14082734-500px.JPG

• Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular

No... they DANCED!

I'm not a warhammer fanatic. My experiance is mostly the books (horus heresy and Eisenhorn/Ravenour) and Space Marine, but my mind is just filled with fuck at that image.

No... they DANCED!

I'm not a warhammer fanatic. My experiance is mostly the books (horus heresy and Eisenhorn/Ravenour) and Space Marine, but my mind is just filled with fuck at that image.

Considering it looks like MK1 stuff they're wearing. The Heresy makes just that much more *sense*.

• AustralopitenicoAustralopitenico Registered User regular

It's called "overcorrection" and it's a perfectly normal reaction. But it's still somewhat fucked up. I live in Germany and buy my games from Amazon UK for that reason.

Also, my German is not too great and I want to punch the guy that works at the Gamestop in the throat.

GEMA blocking all the videos I want to watch on youtube is unforgivable, though.

It's called "overcorrection" and it's a perfectly normal reaction. But it's still somewhat fucked up. I live in Germany and buy my games from Amazon UK for that reason.

Also, my German is not too great and I want to punch the guy that works at the Gamestop in the throat.

GEMA blocking all the videos I want to watch on youtube is unforgivable, though.

www.proxtube.com

thank me later

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • KiasKias Registered User regular
    Spacehulk as a game is excellent! Am I weird in wishing more of the board games I love had a digital equivalent? Not, like, just the same theme, but the actual game, with all the rules and mechanics automated.

Like Descent or Rune Wars or Chaos in the Old World... or any FFG game really.

I still love my physical copy, but man it would be nice to sit down and play some of these online when its hard to get folks together.

So, super psyched about this!

steam_sig.png

I'm Fairly certain in the case of FFG games about 90% of their catalogue would work better as a computer game. Twilight Imperium in particular needs to pony up and release a client for twenty bucks for me to buy a 6 pack of to share with friends.

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I've been waiting for a Talisman online game for 20 years. Longer. 20 years is just how long it's been that such a thing has actually been feasable.

I just finished the 3rd book of the Ciaphas Cain series, and I do admit that I wish Amberly didn't give the exact same explanation every time a "supplementary data" chapter comes up. We already know that Ciaphas doesn't give a shit about what's happening elsewhere on the planet. We already know you hate Sulla's purple prose. Just give me the stuff, Inquisitor. And make a crack about Gaunt's Ghosts or something while you're at it.

I do like that the series isn't all doom and gloom, that it usually stars something other than Chaos as the bad guys (Tyranids, Tau, and Necrons need more screentime in the books than they get in the face of Chaos) and I do like the fact that it's neatly collected into 3-novel omnibus editions, which makes me very forgiving about some flaws.

Back on the subject. Death Angel, the card game based on Space Hulk, is pretty fun, but I do not recommend using all of the new expansion cards at once. The new marines are actually weaker than the original teams, and the enemies are nastier. Combine them, and you just get slaughtered.

• Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    My game group absolutely could not get the hang of Death Angel. I blame the poorly written rules...and alcohol.

kyrcl.png
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Mego Thor wrote: »
    My game group absolutely could not get the hang of Death Angel. I blame the poorly written rules...and alcohol.

It isn't immediately intuitive. I suggest playing some solo matches before friends come over to play it. The key is getting your marines in the correct position to deal with threats. There are a few super-defense guys that can tank whole stacks, and there are some super-offence guys that can kill tons of guys at once. Planning their cooldowns to make use of their good powers (and when to sacrifice the scrub marines) is the real trick of it.

Dracomicron on
  • VoranthVoranth MI NOMBRE, POR CIERTO ES DONTÉ!Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Rock Paper Shotgun throws down some exclusive screens and an interview with the devs: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03/01/space-hulk-preview/

shulk2s.jpg

shulk1s.jpg

You can check the article for hueg versions of the screenshots, which look mighty fine if you ask me. Some choice quotes from the devs:
    "If you have in your head the boardgame as you play that, and XCOM, and mix those two together. That’s the game experience you can expect from Space Hulk."

"We’re trying to make it as cinematic and creepy and claustrophobic as possible."

"Our vision is that we essentially want to keep the claustrophobic atmosphere, you’re up against millions of Genestealers potentially, you’re the underdog. You’re going to lose this game three out of four times, just as in the boardgame."

"I think the screenshots speak for themselves. We are making a PC game, and we are doing a downscaled port for iOS."

"[When RPS asks for a Release Date] It’s not going to happen on this side of Summer. And it’s not going to be a Christmas release. Hmm!"

"We have signed a deal with Steam directly already. No Greenlight, no middlemen publishers."

Voranth on
    camo_sig2.png
    PS4: Voranth
  • VicVic Registered User regular
    Awesome! I hope the reference to XCOM means equipment management and that your squad will level up.

Most likely it means your squad will die horribly.

kyrcl.png
  • jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    Vic wrote: »
    Awesome! I hope the reference to XCOM means equipment management and that your squad will level up.
    Most likely it means your squad will die horribly.

I hope you are both right.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Actually my first thought as I saw those screenshots was Xcom so hooray.

I'll be buying this. I'd like there to be both horrific deaths and inventory and rpg elements.

Gotta make my Space Marines decked out in the best looking armor right before I unknowingly trap them in a room with too many bad guys.

Wanted to add that I am curious about the areas this will be taking place in. Hulks contain more than just human ships and while it wouldn't be bad, I think it would be really great to have to work your way through unknown alien ships with their own dangers thrown in.

Retaba on
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    *reads that interview*
    *looks at the screenshots*

I'll be in my bunk.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    My absolute favorite part of that interview:
    RPS: How did you end up doing Space Hulk? Did you go to Games Workshop or did they come to you?

Thomas Hentschel Lund: It’s a funny story, actually. At GDC last year, I was standing in a hotel lobby, warming myself at an open-pit fire they had there, and this older guy was standing right next to me doing the same. We were saying “nice cold weather here, blah blah blah” and he asked me what I did. So I said “yeah, I have this small indie studio, and we’re doing digital board games and trying to keep turn-based alive.” So he says “hey, I have over a thousand board games in my basement.” We kept chatting back and forth, and he asked what kind of games I would really like to do. I said “I want to do Space Hulk, it’s the game of my dreams.” Then he hands me his business card, and it was Ian Livingstone. So here I am pitching, without knowing, to one of the three founders of Games Workshop.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2013
    Most likely it means your squad will die HONORABLY FOR THE GLORY OF THE EMPEROR.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    If you're Games Workshop, how the heck do you sell the rights to do a PC version of SPACE HULK yet still not reprint the printed game ?

Is there a sound effect for being totally, completely baffled ? Because that just now is what it sounds like.

Fairchild on
    Fairchild wrote: »
    If you're Games Workshop, how the heck do you sell the rights to do a PC version of SPACE HULK yet still not reprint the printed game ?

Is there a sound effect for being totally, completely baffled ? Because that just now is what it sounds like.

Games Workshop.

They aren't the greatest at some things. Great at writing fluff though.

Hey if you REALLY want Space Hulk as a physical you could always track down a copy for roughly the cost of a new computer.

• VoranthVoranth MI NOMBRE, POR CIERTO ES DONTÉ!Registered User regular
    The last reprint of SPACE HULK was 2009. I guess it hasn't been long enough for them yet?

I really enjoyed reading that RPS interview, all the answers were solid and it sounds like the devs really know what they are doing. Super stoked for this game!

camo_sig2.png
    PS4: Voranth
  • DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular

Artificial scarcity. A good friend of mine still contacts me at least a couple times a year seeing if I'll sell my copy. I could make a lot more then what I paid for it should I decide to sell it. I guess it's like a collector's item from what I can tell now.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Space Hulk the board game could cut into profits from minis. Or they'd have to charge 400 bucks for the box so you don't get minis cheaper that way.

I can smell them!
    No, that's just Bethor.

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    The boardgame sold like crazy in the 90's. GW with SPACE HULK previewed the Fantasy Flight model of an expensive base game with tons of components supported by frequent expansions and a huge online following with all sorts of fan-created scenarios and weapons and unit types.

• BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's just "Games Workshop". See also: Mordheim and Battlefleet Gothic, two of their most beloved side games that they didn't support and unceremoniously killed off due to the fact they were easy to get into without signing over all of your paychecks.

But yes, those screens make me drool quite uncontrollably.

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull

Games Workshop is the company that said "no thanks" to Blizzard when they wanted World of Warcraft to be set in the Warhammer fantasy world

kyrcl.png
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    This is all sounding great, I hope they deliver. Thank god Cyanide isn't making this.

Also on the GW Boardgame to PC translation front, these other guys are making Talisman games for the PC. Prologue is a single player game that is a prologue (surprise!) for the full version, which is coming soon.

If Games Workshop didn't write such entertainingly over the top trash I probably wouldn't want to touch them as a company to be honest. Still, they form a large chunk of my child hood and as a result my nostalgia makes me want to hand them money over anything Tau related.

Seriously GW, make a modern Fire-Warrior game. The book was neat as hell.

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular

Games Workshop is the company that said "no thanks" to Blizzard when they wanted World of Warcraft to be set in the Warhammer fantasy world

Actually it was Warcraft: Orcs & Humans and by all accounts that's not really true. Basically Blizzard decided pretty late in the process to not pursue GW's IP right because they realized they would make way more money if they wholly owned the IP.

So good call on their part.

GW's still pretty dumb though.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    If Games Workshop didn't write such entertainingly over the top trash I probably wouldn't want to touch them as a company to be honest. Still, they form a large chunk of my child hood and as a result my nostalgia makes me want to hand them money over anything Tau related.

Seriously GW, make a modern Fire-Warrior game. The book was neat as hell.

Fire Warrior was an FPS for PS2 and it was absolute dogshit, sadly. :(

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705