As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Need help finding a Christmas song - Little Altar Boy

Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-FedRegistered User regular
edited December 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
When I was a yow'un, during Christmas my dad had an 8 track casette of Christmas music he would play every Christmas morning. The only song I remember on it was Little Altar Boy sung by a male vocalist who MAY have been Andy Williams. After he died, that was really the only thing I wanted to remember him by but nobody knew where the tape was, what it was or who the singer was. The arrangement was the same one Karen Carpenter sings here but, again sung by a man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lt87fGKaSA
Anyone have any idea who it could have been? I've been looking for years but the Carpenters track is the only one I've found that even comes close.

Magic Pink on

• Options
    RedDawnRedDawn Registered User regular
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Yeah, I found that one years ago too but it's not it. The singer in this copy had a much deeper voice and there were no violins. It's LITERALLY the exact arrangement, instruments and everything, that Karen Carpenter sings.

Thanks for trying tho.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    According to wikipedia it was first a hit from Vic Dana:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUTVS0L6iUY

banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    PA DallasPA Dallas Registered User regular
    My Google-Fu could only find The Carpenters, Vic Dana, Andy Williams, Jack Jones, and Glen Campbell.

I saw a werewolf drinkin' a pina colada at Trader Vic's.
    And his hair was perfect.
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    The Vic Dana one is the closest other the Karen; I almost think there was something wrong with the stereo or tape because our version was much slower and deeper then the Vic version tho.

I know it's not Glen Campbell so I'll look up if I haven't already heard Jack Jones. His might be the hideous "up-beat" one I found about 5 years ago tho; sweet jesus it was awful.

Thanks for the help everyone; I really appreciate it.

edit: CRAP IT IS DAMN YOU JACK JONES DAAAAAAAAAAMN YOOOOOUUUUUUUUUU

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    PA DallasPA Dallas Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I almost think there was something wrong with the stereo or tape because our version was much slower and deeper then the Vic version tho.

This is possible. I had an Earth, Wind, and Fire 8-Track and over time it got stretched out and sounded really bad.
    I'll look up if I haven't already heard Jack Jones. His might be the hideous "up-beat" one I found about 5 years ago tho; sweet jesus it was awful.

The Jack Jones one I found was truly god awful compared to the other ones.

I saw a werewolf drinkin' a pina colada at Trader Vic's.
    And his hair was perfect.
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    Hah, one option you could do is find the mp3 and slow it darn artificially (winamp plugin, perhaps?) and see if that jives with your memory.

banner_160x60_01.gif