As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Android: Netrunner] Ice Ice Baby

19495969798100»

• EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    On the topic of sleeving, I've started considering it myself. I've been against it for years because I've never liked the feel when I play sleeved Dominion with friends, but I play so much Netrunner now that it seems like a necessity. Also, watching some championship finals I was struck by how decent the opaque ones look. This paragraph is explaining why I've never paid attention to sleeve recommendations before and am now asking an overdone question.

What sleeves would you guys recommend? Is there one go-to for Netrunner?

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I'd say start with the Ultra Pro basics. You can get them at Wal-mart for like $2 a pop, and they are fairly disposable. You'll only need 1 pack for runner and corp, respectively.

I have art sleeves I favor, but.. well.. I'm weird, as I'm sure everyone has gathered.

Fantasy Flight's sleeves are a bit too oversized for my tastes, but they are built like MACK TRUCKS. They are extremely high quality, and will probably last the second longest...

... to Dragon Shields. These are the creme of the crop, and you are definitely paying for the build quality. They are also generally oversized.

I would honestly recommend asking your gaming shop to demo sleeves if you are worried about the feel. They all have slightly different textures to them, and you'll need to find something you are happy with. Try to avoid ones that stick together - make sure you practice flipping, drawing 1 card off the stack, shuffling.. all that stuff.

I'd like to try out some Matte sleeves. They are rare, but overall much better looking and easier to read. Very different feel to them too.

Also, you'll need a mat. Trust me - picking up cards off a straight table is annoying as hell, and the mat will help your cards last longer.

Finally, be careful with shuffling. You have to be careful not to tear your sleeves when shuffling, especially with the cheaper ones, and you want to avoid splitting or bending corners. Sleeves are meant to wear out over time, but shuffling technique will affect that lifeline. I'm still working on that and am very envious of everyone I know who plays magic.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    100 pages...If things slow down in the next day or so, I'll get an OP for a new thread ready.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Make sure to include some stuff about the Organized Play (online and off), as well as Regionals.

God damn I wish I was better at this game. Andromeda being a prize for Regionals is NOT FUCKING FAIR.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Andromeda being a prize for Regionals is NOT FUCKING FAIR.

Say what?

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I assume that Athenor means that there is an alternate card art version of Andromeda as a Regionals prize.

edited January 2014
    Okay, re-reading, the regional kit will come with 64 alt art cards. So that probably means anyone who makes top 32, and then other divisions past that.

ADN-2014-regionals-prizes(1).png

And Andy will be resin-style, like with last Regionals, so not actually an alt art...

So this is why I suck at the game - my reading comprehension is horrible.

1 2014 Regional trophy
    1 certificate granting the winner 1 bye at a National Championship
    4 double-sided, spot-glossed identity cards featuring Andromeda and Cerebral Imaging
    8 Regional top 8 playmats
    16 packs of acrylic virus tokens
    64 alternate art cards
    1 head judge playmat

Athenor on

Just looked it up... I really like the playmat. But what is the alt art card, I can't tell...

Man, I totally understand why Andromeda is so good, especially in a tournament setting where your deck needs to be consistently good to make it to a high placing, but she will always be second fiddle to Gabe in my heart. He is just to cool for school, plus I love his ability mechanically. Andromeda's is good but boring.

I wonder if Sweeps Week will end up affecting how much we see her played or not.

• tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Is g00ru Shaper? It seems like that would make the most sense, but Criminal is just lacking identities compared to Shaper, which has 4(?) already.

G00ru is totally a shaper. Or, if anything, an identity-less runner. He seems to transcend the plot of the game, coming across as arrogant and aloof.

Sweeps Week will definitely be a dagger in Andy's heart, because people will be more afraid to run her. But it's going to shine a lot more against whatever identity we get that'll actually start with a bigger hand size.

Also, Inquisitor, it already kind of bugs me that Lawyer Up is a reversed image of Gabe. Once you see it...

• KaneskiKaneski Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Is OCTGN borked?

Edit: nope, but for some reason doesn't like network installs anymore

Kaneski on
    Also, Inquisitor, it already kind of bugs me that Lawyer Up is a reversed image of Gabe. Once you see it...

Christmas is ruined.

Apparently the alt art card is Corporate Troubleshooter... Which is great as I love the card but hate the art.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I'd say start with the Ultra Pro basics. You can get them at Wal-mart for like $2 a pop, and they are fairly disposable. You'll only need 1 pack for runner and corp, respectively.

I have art sleeves I favor, but.. well.. I'm weird, as I'm sure everyone has gathered.

Fantasy Flight's sleeves are a bit too oversized for my tastes, but they are built like MACK TRUCKS. They are extremely high quality, and will probably last the second longest...

... to Dragon Shields. These are the creme of the crop, and you are definitely paying for the build quality. They are also generally oversized.

I would honestly recommend asking your gaming shop to demo sleeves if you are worried about the feel. They all have slightly different textures to them, and you'll need to find something you are happy with. Try to avoid ones that stick together - make sure you practice flipping, drawing 1 card off the stack, shuffling.. all that stuff.

I'd like to try out some Matte sleeves. They are rare, but overall much better looking and easier to read. Very different feel to them too.

Also, you'll need a mat. Trust me - picking up cards off a straight table is annoying as hell, and the mat will help your cards last longer.

Finally, be careful with shuffling. You have to be careful not to tear your sleeves when shuffling, especially with the cheaper ones, and you want to avoid splitting or bending corners. Sleeves are meant to wear out over time, but shuffling technique will affect that lifeline. I'm still working on that and am very envious of everyone I know who plays magic.

a word on shuffling with sleeves:

firstly you'll want to start keeping your cards all pointed in the same direction

second you'll probably have to change the way you riffle (you'll have to do it so the BOTTOM CORNERS of the cards go together, then push the halves together in such a way that everything stays oriented the same way)

this is to keep you from splitting sleeves

you can also just give up riffling entirely, which I recommend, because it's harder on your cards

here's what I do: split your deck into two halves by holding the whole thing in your left hand and lifting out roughly half with your right, you should be holding it by the ENDS not the sides

then simply slide the two halves together lengthwise

then I do an overhand

and then repeat

on sleeves:

I use ultra pros because I'm cheap but a lot of people don't like the fact that the back is textured instead of entirely smooth

I think I have problems with overhand shuffling. When I'm practicing, the sleeves spread out a bit. But when I'm actually in a game, I think I hold too tight and everything clumps - especially agendas.

• RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Corroder is really, really unbalanced when compared to Garrote and Torch; it really needs to have a higher influence cost or install cost, or both. I bet they wish they could errata or reprint it.

Given the size of barriers we are starting to see, I don't think so as much anymore. Corroder vs. Curtain Wall is damn nasty.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Honestly, I think that Anarch could definitely have used a extra point of influence on their stuff. If just so it's not just easier to run them out of one of the other two factions easier and better.

Keyhole's a nice start.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    So, having played some games with a buddy, I finally bit the bullet and bought Netrunner.

All of it.

Realizing that even just starting with the base components, it was going to take some doing to begin building decks, I essentially crafted up 2 on the fly (one corp, one runner, of course), and hope those that face them can keep their laughter to a dull roar.

Anyway, I thought I'd check in with you fine folks, and see if you had any recommendations for deck building resources? I'm not sure I have 12 hours a week to commit to all the various and sundry podcasts that I know are out there, but something I can read on the beginner and then advanced theories behind deckbuilding (current would be nice, but even older guides work, as I'm starting with just the core box for now).

Obviously my local metagame may differ from yours or the tournament scene, and the best way to dig in will be to shuffle up, draw some hands, and play as many games as we can find time for in our busy schedules, but I figured y'all might have some tips to share.

Think back a month or a year or however long ago. What do you wish people had told you about deck construction? Above and beyond the usual agenda limit, "have ice/breakers", what little things have you picked up that would've made life a lot simpler for you?

I'm sure someone will mention rounding out the "2 offs" and "1 offs" from the core at some point. I'm thinking that if another buddy picks the game up, we might split a 3rd core and that'd settle us both for the former, and give us some of the latter to split up. I've seen the ebay auctions for rounding out core boxes, and it'd be faster and generally cheaper to just buy a 3rd/4th/whateverth core box locally if I'm that desperate to snag those cards.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Economy cards are a must. Whether you're a corp or a runner, you need something to give you money to do stuff. Melange mining corp is good, even though it's your whole turn (usually).

Trap cards are tough sells. You need the runner to hit it, but they're safer hitting your deck. If the runner doesn't go for a trap you're advancing, they aren't going to hit it when you stop doing that for a turn. (Snare goes in the deck or the hand, not archives and not in a server)

Ice is about making it as expensive as possible for the runner. Even though you can styme a runner under specific circumstances, it's not something you can always count on. Treat it like a speed bump and try to get the runner to speed up before hitting it, then reveal the wall behind it. If the ice in your deck puts a trace on the runner, have something else in there that works off of it. Too few runners use a lot of resources to make stand alone traces abig threat.

In the base deck corp ice is a little weak, but okay. Don't be afraid to go cross-faction to plug the gaps in the corporation's deck.

Play runner and corp, and try different corp and runner combos. Each has a little different play style that changes the game.

Dedwrekka on
    WOO!

We got approved for a Store Championship!

• sartorisartori WA, USARegistered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    So, having played some games with a buddy, I finally bit the bullet and bought Netrunner.

All of it.

Realizing that even just starting with the base components, it was going to take some doing to begin building decks, I essentially crafted up 2 on the fly (one corp, one runner, of course), and hope those that face them can keep their laughter to a dull roar.

Anyway, I thought I'd check in with you fine folks, and see if you had any recommendations for deck building resources? I'm not sure I have 12 hours a week to commit to all the various and sundry podcasts that I know are out there, but something I can read on the beginner and then advanced theories behind deckbuilding (current would be nice, but even older guides work, as I'm starting with just the core box for now).

Use cardgamedb.com for starters. Register an account so you can save and modify your decks online. It is an invaluable tool for any of FFG's LCG's (and was just recently acquired by them).

There is an articles section there that has a lot of great info. You can also find a lot of useful articles at stimhack.com as well as tournament lists that might give you an idea of what a competitive deck may look like (obviously this varies by meta). ANRBadPublicity on facebook/youtube have a lot of great videos about the game, and they have been doing live webcasts on saturdays.

Other than that build, play, experiment. I generally try to have a least 1/3rd of my deck with economy if not more, and around the same amount of ice when playing corp. Icebreakers can vary quite a bit depending on what search tools/tutoring you are using (if any). If I run 1 or 2 types of search tools I tend to run less copies (even singletons) of any type of icebreaker allowing for more utility cards in the deck.

Hope this helps a little.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    Corroder is really, really unbalanced when compared to Garrote and Torch; it really needs to have a higher influence cost or install cost, or both. I bet they wish they could errata or reprint it.

nah, with stuff like Hadrian's wall and wall of thorns it's still fair

if any anarch cards need to be errata'd, it's datasucker

make it two influence so including all three is actually an investment and not a trifle

One thing as a new player I am finding useful is finding good decks online, especially unusual good decks, and reading the cards in them and trying to figure out, on my own, how they work and how I would play them, and then reading how the creator of the deck actually plays it.

This deck was cute to puzzle out, and definitely taught me to not take things like the amount of ice a deck needs for granted.

Jinteki: Personal Evolution (Core)

Total Cards: (49)
    Agenda (16)
    Nisei MK II (Core #68) x1
    Profiteering (Second Thoughts #39) x3
    Clone Retirement (Second Thoughts #32) x3
    Fetal AI (Trace Amount #32) x3
    False Lead (A Study in Static #80) x3
    Gila Hands Arcology (Creation and Control #23) x3

Asset (13)
    Snare! (Core #70) x3
    Jackson Howard (Opening Moves #15) x3 ■
    Ronin (Future Proof #112) x2
    Cerebral Overwriter (Creation and Control #9) x3 ■■
    Project Junebug (Core #69) x2

ICE (5)
    Janus 1.0 (What Lies Ahead #12) x2 ■■■
    Neural Katana (Core #77) x3

Operation (12)
    Hedge Fund (Core #110) x3
    Neural EMP (Core #72) x3
    Celebrity Gift (Opening Moves #12) x3
    Trick of Light (Trace Amount #33) x3

Upgrade (3)
    Hokusai Grid (Humanity's Shadow #95) x3

A thing I learned the other day that totally blew my mind is that you can use credits from a Stimhack to install breakers using Self-Modifying Code mid run.

Yeah, that's kind of the entire basis behind NoiseShop. :D

Yeah, that's kind of the entire basis behind NoiseShop. :D

That might be a neat thing to put into the next OP, maybe the names of well known decks so people can look them up and get ideas.

It will definitely keep me from running into the thread all the time going "Guys, guys, I invented the wheel!" while you all zoom around in cars. <3

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Yeah I guess I read Keyhole wrong. I thought you got to access cards as per usual after the Keyhole effect was finished. I guess that would be stupid, and that is why it is not the case.

There are a lot of active folks in this thread nowadays... Is there any interest in a short tourney? I was thinking 4 rounds of swiss... Playing on OCTGN...

Any interest? Is it worth organising?

• FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular