As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

3/19 Q&A with Gabe

TubeTube Registered User admin
edited March 2007 in Penny Arcade Games
Gabe will shortly be up in the hizzouse answering your questions about the new game, so go ahead and post any questions that you'd like answered.

[ alphamonkey edit : if you want to stay up to date with the information in this thread, I'd reccomend subscribing to daily emails. ]

Tube on

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2007
    What game is RSPD closest to in terms of gameplay?

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Do Gabe and Tycho act as your constant party members or will they only be featured here and there?

JJ on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    firstly, it's really cool that you guys are involving us forumers in this in any way, getting feedback from us and whatnot.

Now, a question that was asked by no-less than two people in the G&T thread: at some point, can we expect a box of kittens that can be flipped-off, or a dick of a baby that can be punched?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Any word on if the game might be retailed with some sort of ultra-slick boxed edition with all kinds of goodies in it?

Weaver on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    At what point in development is the game? You mentioned that the 3D models in the game were early and put in there at the last minute... how much work has been completed, and how much remains to be done?

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Is there any one game you would say is the largest inspiration for the design of OTRSPOD?

Can we expect references going all the way back to the first strips as to be esoterically awesome?

Will we have to collect 100 shit filled Krispy Kreme's doughnuts to complete a level?

Which Penny-Arcade Continuity does this take place in?

Will it be simple enough to be played with an NES pad, a 360 controller, or is Keyboard and the Mouse the best way to play?

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    EtchEtch Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I noticed that someone said the create-a-character in one of the screenshots looks pretty much like a Gabe pallet swap. What I'd like to know is about how much customization are you guys figuring on including? I've always loved games where I could make characters, but it's easy to get frustrated when you only have a few options to tool around with, and the character ends up looking very similar to the one your friend makes.

Etch on
  • Options
    StephenB.2006StephenB.2006 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Any possibility of an XBox Live distribution?

How long of a game are we talking about here? 2 hours or 20 hours of playtime?

StephenB.2006 on
    An object at rest cannot be stopped!
  • Options
    GabrielGabriel Registered User, ClubPA, Penny Arcade Staff, PAX Staff staff
    edited March 2007
    Hey guys. I’ll do my best to keep up with all the questions while I’m here at the office today. If I miss something I apologize. If I can’t answer something because we aren’t talking about it yet I’ll let you know.

-What game is RSPD closest to in terms of gameplay?

That is a difficult one to start with. It really is a sort of hybrid. We thought about calling in an adventure RPG but when I think about those games I think about games like Zelda and that’s not quite right. Our game is much more of a classic RPG as far as combat is concerned. So we are calling it an RPG/adventure.

Do Gabe and Tycho act as your constant party members or will they only be featured here and there?

They are your constant party members. Think about Kingdom Hearts. Goofy Donald and Sora represent the core party. Your character along with Gabe and Tycho are the core party.

At this point we have no plans for kitten flipping off. It’s still early though.

Gabriel on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Weaver wrote: »
    Any word on if the game might be retailed with some sort of ultra-slick boxed edition with all kinds of goodies in it?

That's not something we've thought about yet. I am a fan of collectors editions of things though.

Gabriel on
  • Options
    Spectral SwallowSpectral Swallow Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I asked this in the G&T thread, but never got a response, so hey I'll go straight to the source:

Can you use the gabe's shirt pacman thing, or would you need to pay Namco? I could see the traditional costumes being a good bonus, but have no idea how law on that kind of thing works.

Spectral Swallow on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    At what point in development is the game? You mentioned that the 3D models in the game were early and put in there at the last minute... how much work has been completed, and how much remains to be done?

Well I've enver done this before so it's hard for me to say. I can say I'm pretty amazed at how fast it's going. The guys at Hot Head are pros and it's been exciting to watch how much it improves every week.

Gabriel on
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I would like to ask about the world of New Arcadia.

Is this going to be a city like New York or L.A. (or Boston, Seattle, Chigago, etc...) focusing on a gritty urban environment? I saw some short buildings in the trailer, making it seem more like suburbia. What kind of mood can we expect from the setting? Chaotic? Dreary/suspenseful? Ominous? What are you shooting for?

TankHammer on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    agoaj wrote: »
    Is there any one game you would say is the largest inspiration for the design of OTRSPOD?

Can we expect references going all the way back to the first strips as to be esoterically awesome?

Will we have to collect 100 shit filled Krispy Kreme's doughnuts to complete a level?

Which Penny-Arcade Continuity does this take place in?

Will it be simple enough to be played with an NES pad, a 360 controller, or is Keyboard and the Mouse the best way to play?

Well we have taken inspiration from all sorts of places. As far as the idea of dropping you into this Penny Arcade universe I think Kingdom Hearts was a big inspiration. We talked about letting you play as Gabe or Tycho but in the end the idea of letting players create a character and then them letting them play alongside PA characters seemed like the right move.

Haha no we don't have any doughnuts in the game.

This is a brand new continuity. We'll be creating some comics to help lead into the game. You'll see lots of your favorite characters but seen through the lense of this steam punk/film noir world of New Arcadia. Again think Kingdom Hearts.

Gabriel on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    regarding what we saw in the trailer, what bits were actually indicative of the gameplay? There was a 3d bit of one of the characters (can't remember which now) running along some kind of street, that looked like it was in-game footage. Then there's the screenshot that's been taken from it, that showed a more isometric perspective with the 3 characters. I know it's all early stuff, but are both of these kinds of things going to feature at different times, or was, say, the 3d stuff more of a concept animation?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Any possibility of an XBox Live distribution?

How long of a game are we talking about here? 2 hours or 20 hours of playtime?

Sorry I can't talk about those yet.

Gabriel on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I asked this in the G&T thread, but never got a response, so hey I'll go straight to the source:

Can you use the gabe's shirt pacman thing, or would you need to pay Namco? I could see the traditional costumes being a good bonus, but have no idea how law on that kind of thing works.

Pac Man belongs to Namco. I think we'd have a hard time using it in the game.

Gabriel on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Not sure if this has been asked or answered anywhere, but will there be any CTS action?

please let there be

Xaquin on
  • Options
    PseudonymPseudonym Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I too am interested in the custom character options. Will we have much in the way of clothes options? Unlockable hats and such things perhaps? We can make female player characters, right?

Will Charles be in the game to issue pie based insults to the adventuring party?

Pseudonym on
    Animal Crossing Wii: Kelly in Boomtown
    1934-4237-4812
    Fruit: Peaches, perhaps coconuts soon too!
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2007
    How is combat handled in game? Is it all real-time, or turn-based, or a hybrid of the two?

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    First, thanks for taking questions like this. It bolsters my confidence in this game even without knowing too much about it, and it's a class act on your part.

Second, I've heard that the game will be episodic in nature. Is this true? If it is, will we be able to carry over our create-a-character between episodes, or will the continuity change with each release?

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2007
    Oh!

And will we see a cameo by Khoo?

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    What kind of character building will there be? Static, dynamic, or skills trees and whatnot?

skyknyt on
    Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I would like to ask about the world of New Arcadia.

Is this going to be a city like New York or L.A. (or Boston, Seattle, Chigago, etc...) focusing on a gritty urban environment? I saw some short buildings in the trailer, making it seem more like suburbia. What kind of mood can we expect from the setting? Chaotic? Dreary/suspenseful? Ominous? What are you shooting for?

All those moods and a couple more:) What you saw in the trailer is a very small slice of the world.

Gabriel on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    darleysam wrote: »
    regarding what we saw in the trailer, what bits were actually indicative of the gameplay? There was a 3d bit of one of the characters (can't remember which now) running along some kind of street, that looked like it was in-game footage. Then there's the screenshot that's been taken from it, that showed a more isometric perspective with the 3 characters. I know it's all early stuff, but are both of these kinds of things going to feature at different times, or was, say, the 3d stuff more of a concept animation?

We're still working on nailing down the look of the game. Think of all that stuff as "concept".

Gabriel on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Pseudonym wrote: »
    I too am interested in the custom character options. Will we have much in the way of clothes options? Unlockable hats and such things perhaps? We can make female player characters, right?

Will Charles be in the game to issue pie based insults to the adventuring party?

We're working very hard to make the create a player options very deep. This is a character that you will take from episode to episode and we want him/her to be cool.

Gabriel on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited March 2007
    Will there be a playable demo ready for PAX this year?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited March 2007
    skyknyt wrote: »
    What kind of character building will there be? Static, dynamic, or skills trees and whatnot?

I can't really talk about that yet sorry.

Gabriel on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Moe_Fwacky wrote: »
    Will there be a playable demo ready for PAX this year?

I can't say.

Gabriel on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Any idea on price and distribution? Will this only be available online at first or will we see boxed copies at EB?

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    mtomczakmtomczak Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    As I understand it, the game is planned for cross-platform release. What engine is Hothead using? Have they built something in-house or are they using a commodity engine?

mtomczak on
    <Spurious Interrupt- Breach Disabled>
    <Further Access Denied>
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    agoaj wrote: »
    Any idea on price and distribution? Will this only be available online at first or will we see boxed copies at EB?

Under twenty bucks. We're still working out all the different ways we'll be delivering the game.

Gabriel on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Can we get any sort of story summary? Obviously it's sorta lovecraftian, but are we gonna see actual eldrich horrors, or is there just a fruit fucker uprising of sorts?

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    mtomczak wrote: »
    As I understand it, the game is planned for cross-platform release. What engine is Hothead using? Have they built something in-house or are they using a commodity engine?

The game is being built using the Torque engine from Garage Games. So far we have announced PC, MAC and Linux.

Gabriel on
  • Options
    YousorrymonYousorrymon Registered User new member
    edited March 2007
    Are there going to be any easter eggs? :P

Yousorrymon on
  • Options
    OzzyOzzy Registered User new member
    edited March 2007
    Gabe,

Are you planning to distribute the game on any other platform besides the PC? If yes, which one(s) do you have in mind?

Edit: Never mind, I see the answer below. Thanks!

Ozzy on
  • Options
    ZaurielZauriel Registered User new member
    edited March 2007
    Will there be anything like unlockable minigames? I'd die for a Twisp and Catsby minigame, or even just some random PA interludes from other worlds. Although, that would probably kill the mood of the game. Also, will you guys be including cheat codes? No offense, but I really think those tend to ruin games, but of course that's your prerogative to include or not include them. Hrm, although a radioactive scorpion cheat wouldn't totally suck....

Finally, will we see other members of the PA staff? I've only caught glimpses of them from the ping-pong tourney and I have no idea who they are or what they do. Just wondering.

Oh right, one last thing, will there by any sort of online gameplay? Or maybe just trading high scores or characters?

Zauriel on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    ooh, it's probably another you can't say for certain, but will Twisp and Catsby make a cameo appearance?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Can we get any sort of story summary? Obviously it's sorta lovecraftian, but are we gonna see actual eldrich horrors, or is there just a fruit fucker uprising of sorts?

I can't say too much. It is important to remember this is an episodic story. Each one will represent a complete story from beging to end but they also fit into a much larger arc. T

Gabriel on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So the first episode is Rain Slick Precipice, and the 2nd will be something different? And each episode is 20 buckish? Sounds cool to me.

SniperGuy on
This discussion has been closed.