As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Giant Bomb Has Chosen Its GOTY, But We're All Winners!

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    does anyone have anything they can link me to where the McElroys aren't disappointing while discussing video games

because I know MBMBAM and Polygon are totally different things, and don't taint each other

I just want to believe they're not so bland and lame when it comes to their main careers

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Man RPG has become such a catch-all term. That top 5 I enumerated is 5 games that have absolutely zero in common with each other in how they are played.

sig.gif
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I dunno

they added enough new shit in P4G that I think it qualifies, personally

I like that take on it. My only problem is that then we would need to qualify "what is enough new shit?"

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    i haven't looked into Polygon at all, and i think i want to keep it that way so that i can keep my McElroy opinions pure

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I am playing chrono trigger for what is effectively the first time

It is good

Although I just got killed by masumune and if there was a save point before that fight I didn't see it so now I'm back in the cave in the present before the fight against the dude that's immune to nonmagic attacks and god dammit there is nothing I hate more in games than redoing a bunch of stuff because I died

• Options
    I am playing chrono trigger for what is effectively the first time

It is good

Although I just got killed by masumune and if there was a save point before that fight I didn't see it so now I'm back in the cave in the present before the fight against the dude that's immune to nonmagic attacks and god dammit there is nothing I hate more in games than redoing a bunch of stuff because I died

There's a save point literally right before the Masamune fight

also you should always save on the overworld before entering a dungeon. This is a 16-bit RPG, these games expect you to save literally every single chance you get and will never save for you.

Here's a tip for that boss
    Phase 1: focus all your attacks on one of the two. Fight will end when one of them dies.
    Phase 2: When he's "storing tornado energy", use Crono's Slash(SNES)/Wind Slash(DS) to dissipate it and negate his strongest attack

sig.gif
  • Options
    simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    Jeff's hair scares me.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    I dunno

I like that take on it. My only problem is that then we would need to qualify "what is enough new shit?"
    STORY SPOILERS FOR P4/P4G
    If you max Adachi's social link you can get an ending where you let him escape

also marie completely changes the traditional ending and ultimately fixes a lot of issues I had with it

so at the very least the story is drastically altered

• Options
    Hey Sega, that NES Sonic game is a straight rip-off of Mario, come on now be serious

sig.gif
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    we have deliberated and the 2012 game of the year is... skyrim + DLC

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Whoa wait you can save on the overworld?

This changes everything

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote: »

i will destroy you

• Options

This changes everything

You are Ryan and Patrick circa last year

sig.gif
  • Options
    And yeah I had the right idea with the masumune fight I just kinda fucked up

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Hullis wrote: »
    I dunno

STORY SPOILERS FOR P4/P4G
    If you max Adachi's social link you can get an ending where you let him escape

also marie completely changes the traditional ending and ultimately fixes a lot of issues I had with it

so at the very least the story is drastically altered

Oh, I wasn't arguing that P4G didn't have enough new stuff. I'm just arguing that that's a weird precedent to set.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    does anyone have anything they can link me to where the McElroys aren't disappointing while discussing video games

because I know MBMBAM and Polygon are totally different things, and don't taint each other

I just want to believe they're not so bland and lame when it comes to their main careers

justin's personal goty is dragon's dogma

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote: »

• Options
    SimBen wrote: »

This changes everything

You are Ryan and Patrick circa last year

In my defense I managed to pick up on the obvious direction the game was giving me in the beginning and didn't backtrack through the forest ten god damn times

Also didn't waste 30 minutes doing laps on that conveyor belt in the factory in the future

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    the only time "enough new stuff" works is if there is actually a new game in there like Dark Athena

even then you must judge solely on Dark Athena's merits and not Butcher Bay's

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »

I have no opinion on the McElroys but I suddenly love Justin

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Its take your kids to work day.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    Its take your kids to work day.

This won't end well.

• Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    Watching the livestream.

Sometimes Jeff looks sad when playing video games, sometimes he looks like he is in a greater state of zen than a Buddhist priest. Ryan, Ryan just looks manic like a big kid. And its wonderful.

• Options
    Oh god I played this wrestling game

I knew a guy who had it on a 75 games in one cart

sig.gif
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Barcardi wrote: »
    Watching the livestream.

Sometimes Jeff looks sad when playing video games, sometimes he looks like he is in a greater state of zen than a Buddhist priest. Ryan, Ryan just looks manic like a big kid. And its wonderful.

As far as Bombers go, I think Patrick and Brad are probably the most easily affected by what happens in a game

see: spookin with scoops

• Options
    mmm yeah this 8-bit dragonball theme

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Hey this Japanese version of Dragon Power is all wrong, who's this kid

sig.gif
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    I have Dragon Power, it's dope

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    That's a lot of Japanese text.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    The Betman wrote: »
    also i've said a lot of bad things about Jak II in the HD collection lately that i would like to take back, as i have just unlocked big head mode

Jak II is so clearly like a tweak or two away from being such a great game.

Like the driving would need to not be shit, and the extra collectibles would need to both be meaningful AND not a complete stupidly hard pain in the ass to get.

I spent literally an entire day trying to get the gold from the FIRST coliseum race and gave up so hard I stopped playing the game entirely.

Man, I saw what was required for bronze on them and I decided that haha no i'm not touching any of that

but man, the driving is bad, the gunplay is bad, the platforming is still okay

It's just kind of a mess where they decided that they wanted to do too many things and the game suffers for it

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    wrong thread

Jeff's hair distracted me

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular

I only played the demo of d-dog

it was cool and unique enough that I can respect that as a less obvious GOTY pick

need to pick it up eventually. I'd guess it's probably pretty cheap by now?

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    All that hot scramble

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    tsplittertsplitter Registered User regular
    I wanna see them play zelda 2

FqmsaJ6.png
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular

This changes everything

Never has the fact that I am considerably older than you felt so apparent

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular

This changes everything

Never has the fact that I am considerably older than you felt so apparent

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    So old you repeat everything twice.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular

I only played the demo of d-dog

it was cool and unique enough that I can respect that as a less obvious GOTY pick

need to pick it up eventually. I'd guess it's probably pretty cheap by now?

Still $40 most places

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    When chrono trigger first came out I was

4 years old

This discussion has been closed.