As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How to get my soundbar to work with my TV/PS3

BucketmanBucketman Call meSkraggRegistered User regular
Hello forums!
For Christmas my mom got me a nice RCA soundbar to help me out because my shitty (but beloved) Coby TV has awful sound. Great. I went out and grabbed some audio cables (red/white to red/white) and hooked it up like it said in the manual and....I don't think I'm getting anything. Now the only thing I really use the TV for is to use my PS3, for games and netflix. I turn the ps3 on, and since its connected through HDMI it just plays sound through the TV even with the soundbar on and connected. My TV has composite connections, so I have the Red/White audio plugged in where the red/white audio is for that. I went through the menu on the ps3 and changed the settings to the one with the picture of the cables I used and I still get nothing. Is there some magic I'm missing here?

Thanks in advance.

• Options
    PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular
    Do you have model numbers for your TV and your Soundbar? Those composite connections are probably inputs, which is why you're not getting any sound.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Oh, excellent point. I'm not at home but I'll be getting the model numbers. But if thats the case what should I use to connect it? The soundbar only has the red/white output or bluetooth. I do have a Y connector cable though. Would that work?

• Options
    The soundbar is an RCA RTS7110B and I think the tv is this one www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0049E3FFK/ref=aw_d_detail?pd=1

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Well doing some research, your tv only has digital coax for sound output. and your soundbar only has RCA(red/white) and 3.5mm stereo for inputs.

so your only options are to try and see if it has a headphone 3.5mm output that the specs don't list, but that's not likely.

Or to buy something like this: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=6884&seq=1&format=2 to convert that digital coax to an input your soundbar has. and then I couldn't 100% guarantee that it would work, as that won't work if your tv won't output 2 channel PCM.

if your TV doesn't output 2-channel PCM over that digital coax, then your only option would be an actual receiver.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    Hmm ok, looks like I'll be returning it and getting one with a digital coax output. Thanks

This discussion has been closed.