As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Xbox 360 controller for Windows won't sync anymore.

I have had a 360 controller for Windows for about 3 months and it has worked great, it came with the PC adapter. However, today it just will not work. When I press the button on the adapter, it begins to blink. But when I hold the button on teh controller to sync it, that adapter shuts off immediately. I have no idea how to get to sync again. I have tried removing the battery pack and have tried every USB port on my computer. The one thing that I have been doing is switching the controller between my 360 and the PC, but it never had any issue before. Any ideas? Thanks!

steam_sig.png
PSN: ShinyRedKnight Xbox Live: ShinyRedKnight

• Options
    ShinyRedKnightShinyRedKnight Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    An update, I have tried the controller on my Xbox 360, and it connected fine. I tried an Xbox 360 controller that came with my Xbox and it too won't sync with the adapter.

EDIT: When I bring up the connection menu through the start bar (the thing that shows the quadrants) the first quadrant is lit green, as if a controller is connected, yet my adapter isn't even lighting up, despite being connected to my PC.

ShinyRedKnight on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Well, I think I fixed it. I uninstalled the driver for the controller/ adapter from the device manager. When I restarted my PC, it re-installed the driver automatically as it was plugged in, now it works fine.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    And it doesn't work again, same problem as before.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Have you noticed a particular event that seems to be precipitating the issue? Does it just randomly stop working, even during use?

Alecthar on
  • Options
    Well, the first time it happened, I was playing Skyrim and it happened mid combat. The second time, I was trying to turn on the controller while at the Skyrim main menu. After that, it doesn't work whether or not Skyrim is playing.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    You might try removing and reinstalling the driver. There might be some sort of driver bug or corruption issue causing the problem.

You can download the latest driver here.

Also, just to make sure, it still syncs to your 360, right?

CuvisTheConqueror on
    xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    Yeah, the controller seems to be fine, so I guess its an issue with the adapter or its connection to the PC.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Mine crapped out a few months ago. This was the (apparently common) problem.

You will need a soldering iron. But mine works perfectly now.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I'm never a fan of bypassing fuses. Fuses exist for one reason -- to go kerplooey when something goes wrong, to prevent something else (something far, far more expensive) from going kerplooey. You bypass them, you're putting your equipment (in this case, likely your motherboard) at risk.

It might be a better idea to just get a new adapter. Hell, get one of the cheap $10 knockoff ones. They work great if you force the MS drivers to install for them.

CuvisTheConqueror on
    xderwsaxganu.png