As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PS3 headsets?

joeboy79joeboy79 Registered User new member
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
Hi guys! I've got a PS3 reserved for UK launch on Friday, but I've been hearing some odd things about comms, namely: there is no specific headset like for the 360, and instead you need to scrounge up a usb/bluetooth one of your own and possibly a keyboard too.

My question is: since you've had the PS3 for a while now, what's the deal with headsets and online comms, and are there any official/decent 3rd party products that you reccomend?

Jb

joeboy79 on

• Options
    BladeofTheImmortalBladeofTheImmortal __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    The PS2 USB Headset works great, and basically any Bluetooth Enable headset works...I don't get it, I'd rather be able to buy any headset I want than a 50 dollar official POS Headset...I don't get why people want to be told what to buy.

BladeofTheImmortal on
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The PS2 USB Headset works great, and basically any Bluetooth Enable headset works...I don't get it, I'd rather be able to buy any headset I want than a 50 dollar official POS Headset...I don't get why people want to be told what to buy.

I think people want to be told what works.... bluetooth headsets tend to cost a bit, so its nice to know if other people have had a good experience with a particular brands. I wonder if my cell phone bluetooth headset would work....

LockeCole on
  • Options
    GimpyBoyGimpyBoy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Plus it's not like there aren't a bunch of 3rd party 360 headsets...

But yeah any bluetooth headset works. Just know that you can only have it paired to one device at a time... Does the ps3 still have to pair it every time you turn the thing on? Or have they fixed that?

GimpyBoy on
    GimpyBoy.gif
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007

Historically, a) because that 50$ headset is guaranteed to work and b) the MS ones have always been way better than any 3rd party ones you can get

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    BladeofTheImmortalBladeofTheImmortal __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Ah, but Bluetooth Headsets are being made basically for CellPHones, their quality is beyond that of 3rd Party game peripheral makers. Just because MSs headsets are better than any other headsets on the console doesn't mean that theirs are good.

BladeofTheImmortal on
  • Options
    El VientoEl Viento Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Ah, but Bluetooth Headsets are being made basically for CellPHones, their quality is beyond that of 3rd Party game peripheral makers. Just because MSs headsets are better than any other headsets on the console doesn't mean that theirs are good.

To be honest, I have a decent SonyEricsson bluetooth 'set for my mobile which works really nicely on my phone, but a good 75% of the time in Resistance other people sound like ass and I'm not sure anyone can hear me either. Not saying I haven't had similar with the 360 headset, but just having a decent BT 'set isn't an indication of anything much.

El Viento on
    vf5bannerok6.jpg
  • Options
    VG-RobotVG-Robot Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I use the PS2 one. Works great.

Also, in terms of voice chat, if you have an eyetoy it works with the PS3 for video chat with folk on your buddy list.

VG-Robot on
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I like the way consoles just use things. Thats... a really bad phrasing but I mean like how the Wii uses, what, is it SD cards? And how the PS3 can take any HDD. It's just really nice. Look at the 360, you have to buy their HDD which may or may not be over priced. It's great and certainly almost and unspoken rule that there should be a first party for everything. But I love the idea of being able to shop around for a bigger HDD for my PS3 while looking at quality names I've been using in my PCs for years.

Oh, and I've been using my old PS2 headset for ages - things comfortable. I even use it on vent.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    El VientoEl Viento Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I like the way consoles just use things. Thats... a really bad phrasing but I mean like how the Wii uses, what, is it SD cards? And how the PS3 can take any HDD. It's just really nice. Look at the 360, you have to buy their HDD which may or may not be over priced. It's great and certainly almost and unspoken rule that there should be a first party for everything. But I love the idea of being able to shop around for a bigger HDD for my PS3 while looking at quality names I've been using in my PCs for years.

Oh, and I've been using my old PS2 headset for ages - things comfortable. I even use it on vent.

Yes this is the good side of my point above, the fact I had a headset and it just worked straight off was brilliant, same as plugging in the USB drive with some videos on it and them showing up in the XMB. Very nice.

Browsing Photos straight off the card on Wii is really neat too. I'm digging all this interoperativity too. MS needs to open up the 360, case in point is that I want to use my USB arcade stick (that works under windows) on it. Not buy a peripheral that has some MS authorised chip in it.

El Viento on
    vf5bannerok6.jpg
  • Options
    joeboy79joeboy79 Registered User new member
    edited March 2007
    Ok, so it sounds like the PS2 headset seems to be the way forward.

This begs a couple of other questions:
    1- By PS2 headset do you mean the one that comes with the SOCOM game or is there some form of 'official' PS2 headset?
    2- Do either (or both) of these have inline volume control and mic mute?

Thanks for the info guys...

Jb

joeboy79 on
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    If you're going bluetooth, drop some coin on a Plantronics. I've got two and they're godlike.

They build shit for astronauts for crying out loud.

Threepio on
    142.jpg