As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sketch update [NSFW]

GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Artist's Corner
Did these in brush and india ink with some hasty tones added in PS. Thought a few of them turned out alright.

fidget.jpg

fem.jpg

bug.jpg

bruise.jpg

lay.jpg
this last one definetly needs alot of work... help appreciated fellas. I think im going to scrap that blue entirely.

Greatnation on

• Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    india ink can do a lot more than just pure black. Want to add tone? Use the ink. The hands are the best in my opinion.

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    There seems to be a whole lot of petting going on to get the lines to be the right thickness, but it makes them look disjointed in the end. Right now, it's kind of making them look too digital. That's fine, if it's the look you're going for, but you might want to try longer, smoother strokes.

If you make mistakes, oh well. It might look bad to you as a line, but it will probably add a lot of charm to the overall piece. [ed: Oh, hey! Example! Like the arm lines in my sig.] Besides, these are studies (which I assume are done quickly?), so there's no harm in repeating them to experiment with the materials!

Kewop's suggestion of ink was is cool and all, but if you want the look of digital colors there's nothing wrong with that! You should try out some ink wash, though. Just make sure you have some bigger brushes!

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm liking these. The traditional inks mixed with digital tinkering gives them a nice look.

I really like the first one but something about the face just doesn't seem right. I think everything is too high on the head making it look like she has a big chin and a small forehead. Could just be me though. The arms also look bulgey and lumpy.

Nice stuff though, I'd like to see more.

earthwormadam on
  • GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    thanks for feedback!

Toji- You are very much right about the lines. My problem, in alot of places, Is that I would forget to use my whole arm to paint them, and use only my wrist- which contains lots of little jitters when im trying to hold the majority of the brush above the paper, rather than with a pen or pencil where I can smush out the jitters with preasure. Then I would try and go back and fix the jitters in the lines... and well that just didnt work out very well. I will try to post more of these as I do them, I also recently ganked a deer skull from the bio room, that will have some fun oppurtunites in it i think.

Kewop- Yeah, Im aware that they can do that, I prefer the cleanliness of the digital though. Thanks though!

Adam- That first one has a number of flaws that you just pointed out =(. I tried to make it look like her chin was slightly pointed up, but doing so deformed the face a little bit, and the arms do look bulgey, in an attempt to add some forshortening (The elbows are supposed to be pointed at an angle away from her body)

Yeah I think the hands are the best out of the bunch too. Which is good, because the first set of hands there, were the cover image of a program for the Vagina Monologues that I was asked to do (its sign language for vagina)

Greatnation on
  • Scott WegenerScott Wegener Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I agree with Toji regarding the lines/brush strokes. Definitely try wattering down the inks to get some really great tones and watermarks.

But overall these are really nice. The hands are fantastic and the face (second to last image) is great.

Scott Wegener on
  • GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    heres an update with some tidbits from the sketchbook

6.gif
    4-1.gif
    1-1.gif2-1.gif
    3-1.gif
    5-1.gif

Greatnation on