As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PA: Gamers vs Evil] It's time for the Sorcelator. It's time for the Sorcelator.

redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
edited January 2013 in Games and Technology
Penny_MainScreen_iPad3_Small-300x170.jpg

What is this?
This...

pa-components.jpg

But looks like this...

Penny-Arcade-the-Game-Gamers-vs-Evil-3.gif

Because it is now on this...

interface.jpg
Introducing Penny Arcade The Game: Gamers vs. Evil for iOS from Playdek and Cryptozoic Entertainment! This digital deck-building card game featuring classic Penny Arcade characters from the popular web comic, lets the player engage as Gabe, Tycho, or one of their dauntless allies in an epic battle against Evil! Your path is beset by foes like Dark Tycho, the infamous and infectious cauldron of disease PAX Pox and other Evils that stand in your way of becoming the Master Gamer! With 3 modes of play to choose from; play online with full asynchronous support, play locally against other would be masters, or AI opponents, the descent into madness that is Penny Arcade The Game: Gamers vs. Evil brings rabid rapture to the iOS.
Requirements: Compatible with iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPod touch (2nd generation), iPod touch (3rd generation), iPod touch (4th generation), iPod touch (5th generation) and iPad. Requires iOS 4.3 or later.

Cards: coming soon
Strategies: coming soon

$4.99 on the iTunes app store. (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/penny-arcade-game-gamers-vs./id538996749?mt=8)

bYf6vNQ.png
Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
[3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
redfield85 on

• redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    nAKQM.png

Game Center Tag (Forum Handle)

redfield85 (redfield85)
    chucksteak (chuck steak)
    LCDeXeX (LCDXX)
    ToyD (ToyD)
    Xngears (Professor Snugglesworth)
    rehbdan (cabbie98)
    reaibn (youeffed)

??? (ultimakay)

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Brilliant. I always wanted to play but couldn't justify the outrageous shipping prices to get it here.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Well I'll be.

A promise is a promise, so I'll be adding this to my iPad shortly.

The app does teach you how to actually play the game, right?

• ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    Adding it myself right now. Game Center ID is the same as on the forums.

steam_sig.png
  • LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2012
    I grabbed this on Christmas morning thanks to some fun bucks I found in my stocking. I admit, I'm absolutely terrible at card games, so I'm having a difficult time learning the ins and outs and what-have-yous. That said, if anyone needs a punching bag, hit me up.

Game Center ID : LCDeXeX

LCDXX on
    XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
    The app does teach you how to actually play the game, right?

Yup. Pretty sure as soon as you open the app it asks you to play the tutorial.

You can go to the tutorial from the main menu, as well as a 19 slide rulebook, a card gallery, and an online rulebook (from the online games menu).

bYf6vNQ.png
  • ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    I picked this up on christmas as well and it's been great. The tutorial was pretty good, and if you've played ascension then it will feel similar.

hLeTR.png
  • chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    ultimakay wrote: »
    I picked this up on christmas as well and it's been great. The tutorial was pretty good, and if you've played ascension then it will feel similar.

And if you have played Dominion then it will feel very similar.

My GC ID is 'chucksteak'

edited December 2012
    Added you, chuck steak.

@ultimakay and @Professor Snugglesworth, what are your GC tags?

Once I add a few more of you, I'll start up a game with the first three people I click on. I also don't hate 1v1 games. I typically put all games on 1day-3day time limit per turn. I figure why limit people to play constantly. This way they have time to forget about the game and come back to it.

I'd love to do a season in this. Maybe at the end of the season, add up all your total points and then playoffs seeds are determined by your season total. If not that, then something. Let me know what you think or if there is some other competition we could set up.

edit: LCD and ToyD, I created a game with the three of us.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Accepted it. Also I think I'll do better once I figure out how to see and get victory points. I've got the mechanics of the turn down, but seem to not get enough VPs. Some of the AI seems to just rack in low cost cards, while I got stomped by one that went for the green boss cards. Still trying to figure that one out.

steam_sig.png
  • AyefkayAyefkay Queensland, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    pretty much guaranteed not to ever happen but...would REALLY like a windows phone version........ :(

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
    I doubt they do an Android version, let alone windows phone (unless those are the same thing, then I look like a fool).

Once you get used to what the cards do you can see what is on the field and decide on some sort of strategy. Typically, if I see the Brodax/Scrotuum cards out, I will go for them and hopefully the Robot Cowboy will be available from the token side. Robot Cowboy lets you draw a card (2 if you use it to defend a PvP attack), so you get the draw power to give you additional of the Brodax/Scrotuum cards (which work well in multiples).

That is only my own personal strategy and I am at about .500 with my record (actually a game under at 13-14). There are a ton of other things to piece together and strategies to come up with.

I think it is a good idea to start a couple of 1v1 games to get used to the cards and get your head around what potential strategies you can use.

And, of course, just ask around in here for help with certain things. Anyone will be happy to help.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    redfield85 wrote: »
    @ultimakay and @Professor Snugglesworth, what are your GC tags?

GC: Xngears

Haven't had time to download this yet, but soon.

And just to double-check, you get the full list of cards with this purchase, right? No starter sets or any of that other nonsense commonly associated with card game apps?

Nope. You get the whole first game. The only thing I don't see is the promo Boss Loot Fruit Fucker that was given away for like preorders and whatnot.

That and of course they don't have the expansion set. (If they even decide to release that at some point.)

Get to it!

bYf6vNQ.png
  • LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I accepted your invitations. But now it's just sort of in a holding pattern... Does everyone have to accept or does it notify me when my turn is available?

XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
    LCDXX wrote: »
    I accepted your invitations. But now it's just sort of in a holding pattern... Does everyone have to accept or does it notify me when my turn is available?

I wondered that too, but it notifies you and the game list square glows a green color when it's your turn. It's waiting on me right now, so gonna G&K play my turn.

steam_sig.png
  • chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    What difference does turning the asynchronous option on make? It seams pretty asynchronous to me with that option turned off.

Sorry about that. It was me taking forever. I got 2 1/2 hours of sleep and then played hockey for 2 1/2 hours and then crashed from 2:30pm until about 6pm. Ha. I just played all my turns/started all games/etc.

Asynchronous works like this.

WITHOUT IT: If I play a PvP attack, my turn is on hold until everyone picks a card to discard or whatever.

WITH IT: If I play a PvP attack, I play play out my whole turn. You will discard a card either at random or you pick at the start of your next turn. I'm not 100% sure of which. This way, the player can take their whole turn and not have to wait for players to pick a card or defend.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • cabbie98cabbie98 Registered User regular
    I have added everyone in this thread. rehbdan (cabbie98)

I first tried this out at PAX and it was a lot of fun. It is even better here when the computer tracks all of the card usage.

WiiU: cabbie98
    3DS FC: 4382-1976-1645
    Pin Pals Digital Lanyard
    So I played several matches against the AI and I e finally got the game down. Question is, why does every AI match have the same cards. Most of the cards popping up in multi I've never seen before.

steam_sig.png
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    When you start a new match, be sure it says "randomizer on" in the upper right. Otherwise... not random. ;)

cabbie98, I added you to player list.

And yea, you might not have turned the randomizer on. I think I've beaten the computer once. Maybe.

Also, I love this game, but lose all the time. Like, it will be late game and I can buy the last boss loot. I am like, "Well, shit, I am pretty sure I am gonna kill 'em if I end it now." Then I lose like 78-34. Haha.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    I wonder, did they end up using the unofficial errata for Bat Milk so it wasn't completely overpowered?

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    edited December 2012
    PMAvers wrote: »
    I wonder, did they end up using the unofficial errata for Bat Milk so it wasn't completely overpowered?

Yea, in the iOS version you only draw one card. I didn't even know about this.

Did they reissue the physical card or anything? Just wondering since I have the physical cards and wouldn't mind an updated card.

edit: Also, @chuck steak, you are killing me, sir. Ha. I love when I see someone is online via their green dot and I just sit there and wait for my turn. I could lose hours doing that. They really need a chat function.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Awesome game @redfield85 ! One point on that last one! Had a good few hands with cards and I'm certainly picking this up. I really wish it showed you a running VP total though. That or I just don't see it. I'm really enjoying this game and I really like how you can play in real time if both players are online.

steam_sig.png
    I was just going to post a picture. I'm gonna do it anyway. Ha.

8329148001_2457f03a03_c.jpg

I can't catch a break in this game. I either lose by a ton or by the slimmest of margins.

I think if they showed the VP, people would quit more often (well, randoms).

What are the stars under each player? I assume it is:

(regular cards with point values) (red boss loot with point values) (pax pox)

I love catching people online and just taking a ton of turns in a row. Ha. A chat would be so great to curse out all of you.

bYf6vNQ.png
    I can't remember off the top, but the stats are explained in the rule book. The last one is def pax pox.

steam_sig.png
    Annnnd I have officially gotten all the achievements for this. Take that, easy AI! Ha.

I think my new strategy is just go all green. Try to delete as many tokens as possible and all red cards.

bYf6vNQ.png
    On that note, why in the WORLD does the AI take the deepcrow? I cannot fathom why that is a good card.

Also, I find I'm having real trouble with 2 things:
    1. When you hit play all, it plays modifier cards in your hand in the order they're drawn. I've played a natural 20 card first a few times by not paying attention.
    2. I forget if I"m focusing on tokens or power between the various games.

Once I pay more attention to those two things I"ll be ok. So far my best strategy has been full on power pvp assault. I'm trying to go for the tokens to see how the green works, but it's not working out so good yet.

steam_sig.png
    Also, this has really made me consider ordering the dead tree cards.

steam_sig.png
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    ToyD wrote: »
    On that note, why in the WORLD does the AI take the deepcrow? I cannot fathom why that is a good card.

Even with the gained PAX Pox taking away a point, the Crow still gives you a lot of points for the cost. If you have something like the Faerie Candymancer in your hand to remove Pox cards, then the Crow is worth even more. If you have something like the Magical Unicorn to let you skip a hand you draw that's full of useless Crows, then you even further offset the disadvantages.

wonderpug wrote: »

Even with the gained PAX Pox taking away a point, the Crow still gives you a lot of points for the cost. If you have something like the Faerie Candymancer in your hand to remove Pox cards, then the Crow is worth even more. If you have something like the Magical Unicorn to let you skip a hand you draw that's full of useless Crows, then you even further offset the disadvantages.

Maybe that's it. I'm still playing in terms of tokens and power and not in terms of VP on the card.

steam_sig.png
    wonderpug wrote: »

This is exactly it. Deep Crow gives you 4VP (3VP since you take a PAX Pox). Green boss loot gives you 7 and red boss loot gives you 5, so it is pretty decent.

I also have the problem of forgetting what strategies I am using in which game because I have like 20 games going at once. Haha.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Do you gain the VP when you buy the card or every time it's used? For instance, can you gain the card, then use the Faerie to delete it and keep your VP since it doesn't give you anything in your hand?

steam_sig.png
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    redfield85 wrote: »
    PMAvers wrote: »

Yea, in the iOS version you only draw one card. I didn't even know about this.

Did they reissue the physical card or anything? Just wondering since I have the physical cards and wouldn't mind an updated card.

Not that I know of, since I don't think they ever made the "errata" official.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    edited January 2013
    Do you gain the VP when you buy the card or every time it's used? For instance, can you gain the card, then use the Faerie to delete it and keep your VP since it doesn't give you anything in your hand?

All VP does is give you points at the end of the game from whatever cards actually have VP that are still in your end deck.

So, with Deep Crow, you get 4 VP at the end of the game. The downside is you gain a PAX Pox with it, unless you get delete it (the PAX Pox) somehow.

edit: Cards you delete DO NOT give you VP at the end of the game. You only get VP from the cards you have in your deck/discard piles.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Anyone else been having some issues lately? Seems like games are taking longer to load/get stuck. And just today I am having issues with the "next game" button disappearing sometimes. I swore I just clicked it, the button disappeared, and then came back.

I just can't catch my record up to .500. Ha. Every time I win, I lose 2-3 other games.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    This is $0.99 right now.

steam_sig.png
    Definately worth it! It's quite a fun card game, and I've been enjoying my matches against you guys!

steam_sig.png
    100% worth $0.99. Typically $4.99.

I always find myself saying, "Oh, I'll wind up getting sick of this" and I always find myself playing. If anything, it is getting me ready for PAX if they have a tournament there again.

bYf6vNQ.png