Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Dealing with Alcohol

Arson WellesArson Welles Registered User regular
edited December 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
Hi H/A.

I think I might have a problem with alcohol. Or rather, I have a problem with the amount of alcohol I ingest.

I don't drink everyday, or really feel the need or urge to drink. I like to drink, and when I do, I usually get drunk. This doesn't seem like a huge deal to me, and when I look at my friends, it mostly seems to mirror what they do.

Now, where the problem lies is that when I DO drink, I never seem to have an off switch. I never get to that point in the evening where I realize that I have had a good amount of drinks, that I am having a good time, and now would be the best time to stop drinking, or at least dial it back. And this is when I can be a dick.

It doesn't happen all the time, or even most of the time, but occasionally, when I get pretty ripped, I am the silliest of geese. I don't like that part of me, and I try not to let it out, but sometimes it does. I hate it when this happens. Nothing usually comes of it because I have the best friends in the world, but I don't want to push that, and I don't want it to be a defining character trait. I also don't really get hung over at all, so that's not even a deterrent.

I'm looking for a method to just get a little squiffy. Not blasted. I don't want to give up drinking entirely, because as I said, most of the time I have a good time, and things don't happen. Any advice for me?

Arson Welles on

Posts

  • Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    1:1 drink/water ratio, nibble on food through out the night.

    Also, having a ton of carbs a few hours before the drinking begins generally gives you better fortitude, you won't be getting as drunk as fast so you should be able to keep your wits about you.

    I know when ever I've gotten asshole/super sick drunk it's because I didn't eat dinner and drank waaaay too much waaaaay too fast.

    headphones2.jpg
  • ceresceres Your photo framed Raw within my mindSuper Moderator, Moderator mod
    You need to be able to set your own limits and stick to them, and a good way to do this might be to make note ahead of time how much you are going to drink for the evening and then not drink more than that. If that's three shots or 12 beers or whatever, stop at 3 shots or 12 beers or whatever. It will require you to pay attention to what you're drinking and keep track throughout the evening. You then need to have the willpower to say "okay, that's what I said I would drink and I did, time to stop."

    If you get to that point and say "nah", maybe you need to stop a little earlier so that you do. The thing is, you definitely need to stop before you get to the place where you're going to be a dick if you want to not be a dick. That seems pretty obvious, but my point is that if there's a point in your drinking for the evening past which you aren't going to have the foresight or willpower or whatever it is you need to stop before you're a dick, you need to be able to recognize that and not get to that point at all. It will be a whole lot easier than not being a dick once you're already drunk and inclined.

    And I am done with my graceless heart,
    So tonight I'm gonna cut it out and then restart.

    The avalanche has already started; it is too late for the pebbles to vote.
    Essee
  • MulletudeMulletude Glorious Leader! Registered User regular
    You gotta learn some self control. I know that can be hard when you are lit up.

    One thing you can try is alternate a glass of water with your drinks. Or if you know about how much it takes to get you tipsy, set your limit to that and do your best to stick to it. You don't need one after another. That is something I would do when I did still drink.

    And maybe one of these nights with your friends, set yourself as the DD. Drive your friends to bars/parties whatever and learn what it's like to be in that situation without doing the drinking yourself. It's a good experience and allows you to watch the kind of behavior you may engage in with sober eyes and ears.

    XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger
  • SloSlo Registered User regular
    Drink slow. Stay away from shots. Don't chug beer. And yea, drink water.

  • HewnHewn Registered User regular
    What's your drink of choice?

    When I switched to almost primarily a beer drinker, I found it much easier to ride that happy medium. Slower intake. I order beers I know I'll enjoy rather than swill I want to chug. My dark evenings involved rounds of shots and oversized mixed drinks.

    cathSIG.jpg
    Steam: hewn
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    First it's good that you recognize a pattern and want to change it.
    Hewn wrote: »
    I order beers I know I'll enjoy rather than swill I want to chug.

    Yeah that was going to be my advice. Not to say you can't get blasted on a fine cocktails as well (assuming you have the cash) but look for craft or other interesting drinks to enjoy instead of just drinking. Beer in particular can really slow you down after a few porters or stouts.

    MichaelLC on
    Excision wrote: »
    My girlfriend is going down tonight!

    Steam:MichaelLC
  • WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    Depends whether this is a bar situation or a party situation but there are a few small tricks you can try.

    Party: Only take as much alcohol as you want to limit yourself to. Only want 4 beers? Only take 4 beers. "But beer comes in 6 packs!" I hear you cry. Do not fear, you can leave 2 in the fridge for another day.

    Bar: Limit how much money you take to the bar. (Don't forget enough to cover a cab if there is no public transit/designated driver.) This can be kind of risky because if you spend into your cab money you may be stranded and have to walk. NOTE: YOU WILL ONLY MAKE THIS MISTAKE ONCE.

    Of course this all goes out the window if your friends are the type to say "Oh, you're out of booze? Here have one on me!" It can also be tough if your group of friends tend to buy and split pitchers as you may feel bad for not contributing to pitchers after you've had your fill (or when it comes time to divide the tab at the end of the night and don't want to be 'that guy' who refuses to pay an equal share because he didn't drink as much - not that there is anything wrong with that, it can just take a bit of guts to speak up and say no.)

    Also just to echo: food and water are key. If I haven't eaten that day and start drinking... 2 - 3 beers and I can start to feel pretty awful. If I'm at a party with plenty of food and water around I can drink fairly steadily through a 6 pack and not feel that bad. Pacing is key too.

    I hate to advise anyone to drink light beer but if you're really having a drunkenness problem... switch to lighter beers. If you switch and find it so unbearable that you force yourself to consume it quickly to get it over with and thereby increase your rate of alcohol consumption then try getting into beer tasting. I know it sounds weird but 'tasting' a beer and 'drinking' a beer are completely different. Tasting the beer you want to take it slowly and experience the flavour, drinking it you're using it to serve a purpose (either quenching thirst or becoming intoxicated.)

  • cabsycabsy oh it's a boat Registered User regular
    I agree with ceres, find a point to stop for the evening or at least a while. When I was in my late teens/early 20s I had three instances where I drank until I blacked out and that was enough to put a bit of a scare into me with regards to my drinking/overdrinking habits. What was easiest for me was to find a really recognizable physical feeling where I can cut myself off but I'm still having a good time - if my lips get warm, for instance, I know to switch off alcohol for at least 45 minutes to an hour before I have my next drink and then to drink slower after that. That keeps me at a good level in terms of still being goofy fun drunk but not being obnoxious, no memory of it the next day drunk and I'm still at a point where I'm mentally able to stop myself from drinking too much instead of much beyond that where I'm like "to hell with it, who cares if I keep drinking?"

    If you're at a party or you have friends who will buy you a drink even if you don't necessarily want one, try to switch to alcohol you don't really like and make yourself finish that before you move on. If I'm with people who are nosy about making sure everyone has a drink in hand I will switch to beer at that face-tingly point because I hate beer but I feel obligated to finish it before I move on so I nurse it really slowly.

    JxBCCng.jpg
    pokefc: 0061-0863-4958 | satans wishlist | satans post
  • ThundyrkatzThundyrkatz Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    I have a similar perspective to you. Don't drink often, but when i do, there is a compulsion to drink till i pass out.

    I have found that I can typically have a couple beers, and stop. But once I catch a buzz, I am heading to Wasted town. So for me, I generally drink beer, which I can have more of then alcohol before going over that cliff. Also, I tend to stop at just a couple beers.

    As a side note: I used to need to be drunk in order to have a really good time, but that is not the case anymore. And that was a major contributor to the problem.

    Thundyrkatz on
  • XOCentricXOCentric Registered User regular
    Slo wrote: »
    Drink slow. Stay away from shots. Don't chug beer. And yea, drink water.

    I am a self-described "seasoned drinker". I, like most people that get to this level and aren't bonafied alcoholics, went through the drink-till-you-turn-stupid phase.

    I didn't like it.

    So, I did the same thing you are doing right meow. I recognized that I had no clearly defined limitations, and decided to make some for myself.

    A few of my tips:

    1. Drink slow/ don't chug beer - You're not in a race, and if you are, you probably shouldn't be. Ask yourself "why am I slamming drinks like a college student?". There is no reason for it, and no quicker way to be talking to God on the porcelain phone. If your friends are of the yo-brah-don't-be-a-pussy variety, resist them. Unless you think they are liable to help you when you're passed out as opposed to drawing dicks on your face and posting the pictures online... Also, women LOVE guys that are super wasted /sarcasm ;).
    2. Stay away from shots - Do you know what the alcohol content is in a purple titty twister? Neither do I. Shots may be tasty, but they are a crap shoot when it comes to how much alcohol is in them. Also: sugar. High sugar intake leads to terrible, mind splitting hangovers for the most part. Ask heavy wine drinkers about it.
    3. Drink good beer - When you sit down with a 24 of budweiser, there is but one goal, and that is to get blasted. People only drink domestic because it's a cheap way to get really drunk. If, for example, you tell me you enjoy the taste of budweiser over an Affligem, then this is probably falling on deaf ears. There are thousands of amazing imported or microbrewed ales, stouts, IPA's... *drool*. Do like I do and fill a basket full of individual or paired beers at the store. It's like taking a vacation with your taste buds.
    4. Don't drink liquor unless you know your brand/limit - Some people cannot handle certain types of liquor. I am not a believer in the "gin makes me horny" or "whiskey makes me fighty" mentality. What I do think is that some people can swill certain types quicker, and as they say "in vino veritas". On the flip side, some people get sick much more easily depending what they drink. I'm no bio-chemist, but I've seen a lot of evidence on my own. Another problem with liquour, is that most people start with a 10-90, or a 20-80, and end up with 60-40 right before dive bombing the nearest bathroom. Mixed drinks are usually a waste of money at the bar as well, as you typically will get served less than you pay for.
    5. Have a plan - Why are you drinking on any particular event? Is it New Years? Are you on a social outing? A date? Having a plan in place to gauge how far down the rabbit hole you're going might help you monitor your fuel tank throughout the night.
    6. Drink beer - Why did I put this twice? Because drinking beer is probably the best way to control how drunk you get. When ingested at a reasonably normal pace, you should be able to gauge rather effectively how shit-faced you are getting. Unless you are genetically pre-disposed to get wasted off next to nothing, in which case maybe abstaining is best.
    7. Practice makes perfect - When it comes right down to it, none of this makes a difference unless you can learn from your mistakes. I don't like vomiting, ergo I don't drink to that level anymore. I don't like acting like an ass, so I control how much I drink. Easier said than done, and unfortunately you'll probably have to crash and burn a few times before you really start to learn your limit. However, once you do, enjoying social drinks with like-minded friends can make for a great evening.

    Drink responsibly, don't drink & drive, and drink the good stuff ;).



    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    You can either man up and limit yourself or you can keep getting drunk until you do something so horrible that you remember to set limits after that. The choice is yours.

    chrishallett83ZombiemamboDhalphir
  • EshEsh Sunshine! Kittens! Rainbows! Smiles! Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    XOCentric wrote: »
    Slo wrote: »
    Drink slow. Stay away from shots. Don't chug beer. And yea, drink water.

    I am a self-described "seasoned drinker". I, like most people that get to this level and aren't bonafied alcoholics, went through the drink-till-you-turn-stupid phase.

    I didn't like it.

    So, I did the same thing you are doing right meow. I recognized that I had no clearly defined limitations, and decided to make some for myself.

    A few of my tips:


    3. Drink good beer - When you sit down with a 24 of budweiser, there is but one goal, and that is to get blasted. People only drink domestic because it's a cheap way to get really drunk. If, for example, you tell me you enjoy the taste of budweiser over an Affligem, then this is probably falling on deaf ears. There are thousands of amazing imported or microbrewed ales, stouts, IPA's... *drool*. Do like I do and fill a basket full of individual or paired beers at the store. It's like taking a vacation with your taste buds.

    This is potentially very bad advice. A lot (most) of those good beers are much higher in alcohol content than your average domestic. I can drink Olympia all day and night, but a few Firestone IPAs or Double Mountain Vaporizers and I'm pretty well buzzed and on the way to a hangover.

    "At first he thought it might be a natural occurrence - maybe a rabbit. But upon closer inspection, it was clear a knife had been used. And rabbits don't carry knives."
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    We probably need to have a more detailed discussion of your drinking habits. There seem to be two issues here: sometimes you drink too much, and when you drink too much you act like kind of a jerk.

    The biggest thing is to pace yourself. Most of the time when people have too much to drink, it happens because they drank too quickly. Had five shots, felt fine, had another beer or two, then all of a stuff was like whoa. So alternate beers with waters, or instead of shots drink lighter mixed drinks. That way the buzz will come on more slowly and you'll recognize how far along you are as you go. If you think setting a hard limit for yourself (i.e. 'not having more than six beers tonight') helps you pace yourself, that might work too. Having a meal with or before drinking will also tend to limit the amount of alcohol you want to consume, since your body will have less craving for calories/salt/etc.

    gkcmatch_zps97480250.jpg
    if the rapture don't come cousin, then pass the guns
    I'll burn'em for the return of my investment funds
  • LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    I would keep track of what kind of alcohol you drink too. For instance, if I drink anything hard (tequila, whiskey) I become a jerk, if I stick with shitty beer like Miller High-Life I won't ever get to the jerk phase but I'll end up peeing a lot, and if I drink wine I end up bubbly and smiley like a little kid with a secret. Find the alcohol that works for you and remember that.

  • Arson WellesArson Welles Registered User regular
    Thanks for the tips guys. I'm going to try out the 1:1 water/beer ratio tonight. Also, only limiting myself to 6 beers. Should be a good experiment, and I'll let you know how it works out.

  • CobellCobell Registered User regular
    Esh wrote: »
    Esh wrote: »
    XOCentric wrote: »
    Slo wrote: »
    Drink slow. Stay away from shots. Don't chug beer. And yea, drink water.

    I am a self-described "seasoned drinker". I, like most people that get to this level and aren't bonafied alcoholics, went through the drink-till-you-turn-stupid phase.

    I didn't like it.

    So, I did the same thing you are doing right meow. I recognized that I had no clearly defined limitations, and decided to make some for myself.

    A few of my tips:


    3. Drink good beer - When you sit down with a 24 of budweiser, there is but one goal, and that is to get blasted. People only drink domestic because it's a cheap way to get really drunk. If, for example, you tell me you enjoy the taste of budweiser over an Affligem, then this is probably falling on deaf ears. There are thousands of amazing imported or microbrewed ales, stouts, IPA's... *drool*. Do like I do and fill a basket full of individual or paired beers at the store. It's like taking a vacation with your taste buds.

    This is potentially very bad advice. A lot (most) of those good beers are much higher in alcohol content than your average domestic. I can drink Olympia all day and night, but a few Firestone IPAs or Double Mountain Vaporizers and I'm pretty well buzzed and on the way to a hangover.

    I agree and disagree with this; it depends entirely on what your goal is when drinking. Drinking "good" beer is what you want to do if you you're drinking lightly just to enjoy it. I am certainly obsessed with stouts currently.

    If I plan on drinking a lot, at a certain point when I've drunk enough, I really kind of stop tasting (or perhaps caring) as much as I did at the start of drinking. I personally can't stand the taste of many cheaper beers; however, I think bud in particular just kind of tastes like water after you've gotten going. So I switch to cheap once I've reached this stop caring point as it's just more economical. I kind of feel like it's a waste to keep going with expensive stuff if you're really drunk or just trying to get there.

  • EshEsh Sunshine! Kittens! Rainbows! Smiles! Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Cobell wrote: »
    Esh wrote: »
    Esh wrote: »
    XOCentric wrote: »
    Slo wrote: »
    Drink slow. Stay away from shots. Don't chug beer. And yea, drink water.

    I am a self-described "seasoned drinker". I, like most people that get to this level and aren't bonafied alcoholics, went through the drink-till-you-turn-stupid phase.

    I didn't like it.

    So, I did the same thing you are doing right meow. I recognized that I had no clearly defined limitations, and decided to make some for myself.

    A few of my tips:


    3. Drink good beer - When you sit down with a 24 of budweiser, there is but one goal, and that is to get blasted. People only drink domestic because it's a cheap way to get really drunk. If, for example, you tell me you enjoy the taste of budweiser over an Affligem, then this is probably falling on deaf ears. There are thousands of amazing imported or microbrewed ales, stouts, IPA's... *drool*. Do like I do and fill a basket full of individual or paired beers at the store. It's like taking a vacation with your taste buds.

    This is potentially very bad advice. A lot (most) of those good beers are much higher in alcohol content than your average domestic. I can drink Olympia all day and night, but a few Firestone IPAs or Double Mountain Vaporizers and I'm pretty well buzzed and on the way to a hangover.

    I agree and disagree with this; it depends entirely on what your goal is when drinking. Drinking "good" beer is what you want to do if you you're drinking lightly just to enjoy it. I am certainly obsessed with stouts currently.

    If I plan on drinking a lot, at a certain point when I've drunk enough, I really kind of stop tasting (or perhaps caring) as much as I did at the start of drinking. I personally can't stand the taste of many cheaper beers; however, I think bud in particular just kind of tastes like water after you've gotten going. So I switch to cheap once I've reached this stop caring point as it's just more economical. I kind of feel like it's a waste to keep going with expensive stuff if you're really drunk or just trying to get there.

    OP wants to know how to drink and know his limits while doing so. He's not asking how to "drink well" , so staying away from hi-octane beers is probably a good idea.

    "At first he thought it might be a natural occurrence - maybe a rabbit. But upon closer inspection, it was clear a knife had been used. And rabbits don't carry knives."
  • ceresceres Your photo framed Raw within my mindSuper Moderator, Moderator mod
    The reason people are suggesting those "hi-octane" beers is that they are much more substantial and more difficult to just chug. You drink them because you want to taste them, since you are less likely to be physically capable of pounding down a case in a sitting. So you know. What you said is really missing the point by a rather long shot.

    And I am done with my graceless heart,
    So tonight I'm gonna cut it out and then restart.

    The avalanche has already started; it is too late for the pebbles to vote.
  • EshEsh Sunshine! Kittens! Rainbows! Smiles! Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    The reason people are suggesting those "hi-octane" beers is that they are much more substantial and more difficult to just chug. You drink them because you want to taste them, since you are less likely to be physically capable of pounding down a case in a sitting. So you know. What you said is really missing the point by a rather long shot.

    Beg to differ. Some of the strongest beers we have at my bar go down like water.

    "At first he thought it might be a natural occurrence - maybe a rabbit. But upon closer inspection, it was clear a knife had been used. And rabbits don't carry knives."
  • HewnHewn Registered User regular
    Esh wrote: »
    ceres wrote: »
    The reason people are suggesting those "hi-octane" beers is that they are much more substantial and more difficult to just chug. You drink them because you want to taste them, since you are less likely to be physically capable of pounding down a case in a sitting. So you know. What you said is really missing the point by a rather long shot.

    Beg to differ. Some of the strongest beers we have at my bar go down like water.

    If those are water, what is Bud Light? Regardless, and admittedly anecdotal, I don't know a single person that pounds Bell's Two-Hearted or Sierra Nevada Torpedo. I know dozens that treat Miller Light and it's kin like a race to the finish.

    Your observation that the stronger brews, in equal quantity, will get a person drunker are pretty good though. Do you tend bar? :)

    cathSIG.jpg
    Steam: hewn
  • chrishallett83chrishallett83 Hi! Registered User regular
    Possibly the simplest solution is to just drink to a level of inebriation that you're happy with, then slow your roll and just maintain until it's time to start sobering up for bed. Maintain = 1 standard drink per hour with a glass of water between.

    terriblepostsigpic.jpg
    AusPAX tickets get [X] Accomodation get [X] Plane tickets get [X] Goodie giftbags made [ ]
  • EshEsh Sunshine! Kittens! Rainbows! Smiles! Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Hewn wrote: »
    Esh wrote: »
    ceres wrote: »
    The reason people are suggesting those "hi-octane" beers is that they are much more substantial and more difficult to just chug. You drink them because you want to taste them, since you are less likely to be physically capable of pounding down a case in a sitting. So you know. What you said is really missing the point by a rather long shot.

    Beg to differ. Some of the strongest beers we have at my bar go down like water.

    If those are water, what is Bud Light? Regardless, and admittedly anecdotal, I don't know a single person that pounds Bell's Two-Hearted or Sierra Nevada Torpedo. I know dozens that treat Miller Light and it's kin like a race to the finish.

    Your observation that the stronger brews, in equal quantity, will get a person drunker are pretty good though. Do you tend bar? :)

    Yes I do. They're not "water', but we've got an IPA and a pale ale on tap there are both 7%+ that go down smooth as silk.

    "At first he thought it might be a natural occurrence - maybe a rabbit. But upon closer inspection, it was clear a knife had been used. And rabbits don't carry knives."
  • SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I have to agree with Esh on this one. Good, hi-octane beers are ones you really want to avoid. For example, my favorite beer is a Belgian golden pale ale (Duvel), and is easier to drink than Budweiser (at least to me), but at 9% it's gonna mess you up quick.

    When I'm out with my buddies I just stick to light beers like Bud Light, they typically have less alcohol than regular beers, and you can drink them all day long and just ride the happy medium. It's not the fact that it goes down like water, it's the fact that you can only take in so much liquid at one time, the less alcohol, the less drunk you'll be.

    Simpsonia on
  • FrazFraz Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    If you can figure out how to pace yourself then there's nothing wrong with going for the good stuff. I've been doing this for the past few weeks after trying two squeeze a nine month deployment worth of not drinking into two months.

    Now I limit myself to a three drink max and only when there's good stuff around. There usually isn't good stuff around so I drink a lot less. I also don't drink unless I take a cab or ride with someone I'm completely sure will not drink. So with that rule I don't drink very often.

    Just set some rules and stick to them. I thought it would be impossible since I'm surrounded by a bunch of college age males who just got back from war, but I did it. Now I feel great and enjoy drinking a whole lot more.

    Fraz on
  • V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Hi H/A.
    I'm looking for a method to just get a little squiffy. Not blasted. I don't want to give up drinking entirely, because as I said, most of the time I have a good time, and things don't happen. Any advice for me?

    Getting older is your backup plan here. After a while, getting totally shitfaced and waking up feeling like a bulging sack of canal effluent simply loses its attraction, and you dial it back because writing off 2-3 days of misery simply isn't worth it.

    Shorter term, all I can suggest is looking out for the plateau. You say you drink to feel good? OK sure. When you feel good, stop drinking.

  • ScratchyScratchy Registered User regular
    I was pretty bad about drinking past the comfortable buzz zone and ending up in wretchingtown.

    Identifying the behavior you want to change is the best thing you could possibly do as a start though. I found that after I decided I wanted to tone it down a bit figuring out what situations made me want to drink and not necessarily quitting them but toning it back a bit helped a lot. Setting a time to quit drinking helped me more than setting a number of drinks but I only drink one thing and it's a sipper not a chugger so ymmv.

    Setting rules for yourself and sticking to them is the most important thing you can do and when you are out with people and they offer to buy you drinks it's not that big of a deal to kindly refuse them so don't feel bad if you have to do that. If mixed drinks are your thing I'd recommend mixing them the exact same every time, use a measuring cup if you must. I was very surprised to note on a night of drinking how my drinks went from 20/80 to about 50/50 at the end of the night.

    Keep a notepad available and log what you drink and how fast you drink it if you can't easily find your own cutoff point. On good nights where you have fun and don't become a silly goose you know how much you've had and can use that as a base point.

    steam_sig.png
  • EvigilantEvigilant Registered User regular
    Identify how many/how long it takes for you to reach your limit. Identify what that feels like, so you know, regardless what you're drinking when you reach that point. Drink slowly until you get a buzz then slow down your consumption almost completely. Alternate with water. You want to nurse the buzz, not go over it.

    Sip, don't chug or gulp. Drinking alcohol shouldn't be the main focus when you're out drinking with friends, the main focus should be hanging out with friends and socializing it up; drinking is just something that happens.

    Also, stick to 1 type of drink the entire night. Mixing types of drinks is a sure fire way to end up drunk and/or worse.

    I drink liquor and usually on my 4th I know I need to stop, so that is my limit. The first two are there to get the buzz going and open me up more and the last 2 are purely there to nurse the buzz as the night goes on, so I slowly sip the last 2. But when I finish that 4th drink, I don't drink anymore more, it's water for the rest of the night.

    Since I limit myself to 4 drink that need to last throughout the entire night, I need better drinks. So I'm drinking less but it's better quality drinks.

    "Though force can protect in emergency, only justice, fairness, consideration and cooperation can finally lead men to the dawn of eternal peace." - General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    Google+ Profile Origin: 13Evigilant Steam: Evigilant
  • The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    Alright, I'm Crow and I'm an alcoholic.

    You're fine, mostly, and your self-awareness about your binge tenancies seems to be genuine and constructive. I have no doubts that you don't "have a problem" but let's be realistic. You like to drink, and when you do you often "go overboard". You have a few choices as have been laid out before me in the comment stream. The easiest (not for you) is to simply limit consumption. This isn't always an easy task as we often find that "drink more" comes about at the same time when you lose access to the sort of faculties which lead to the limiting.

    On this string: I'd suggest drink counting, constant rational query and drinking water between drinks. The problem with the last suggestion is that the "drink more" phase often operates when you're past the "rational" phase.

    Otherwise I'll make a controversial suggestion that while you work on the above, you let people know that you want an eye on you. If your drinking is social, let the people you're drinking with know that you're uncomfortable with the pushing and prodding that comes with a lot of drinking and that you're apt to "drink too much". This can be and is, often, really awkward. Just a bit of "I've been disliking who I am when I drink a ton" can work wonders.

    Otherwise, either abstain (not yr plan) or deal with it. That sounds harsh, but I can say as someone with a rather nasty compulsive drinking issue that Who I am and what I do is never excused by drinking. I may make apologies or reflect very deeply on my actions, but I, in the end, remain responsible for myself regardless of how awful my blackout was. I'm far from "that bad", now, but it's also just a matter of responsibility and the taking of such when necessary.

    I also suspect that there was "an incident" that sparked this post, but that's just me seeing things through my lens. As always, feel free to PM for any reason.

    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Arson WellesArson Welles Registered User regular
    That sounds harsh, but I can say as someone with a rather nasty compulsive drinking issue that Who I am and what I do is never excused by drinking. I may make apologies or reflect very deeply on my actions, but I, in the end, remain responsible for myself regardless of how awful my blackout was. I'm far from "that bad", now, but it's also just a matter of responsibility and the taking of such when necessary.

    I also suspect that there was "an incident" that sparked this post, but that's just me seeing things through my lens. As always, feel free to PM for any reason.

    Yeah, I am a firm believer that the alcohol has never made me do anything. I've never tried to blame or excuse my actions while drinking, on the drinking. I know that's me, and not the craft beer fairy goading me into acting the fool. If/when something happens, I've always been apologetic, and never brushed it off with "Meh, I was drunk, so whatever man."

    There wasn't an incident exactly that sparked this, more of a "I looked back on my year, and found one or two spots where I was El Douche Supreme". I appreciate all the advice so far!

    Also, NYE was fine, 1:1 water to beer worked out just fine.

  • EntriechEntriech Registered User regular
    Something else you can use to help slow your consumption is forming a habit where you put your drink down between sips/drinking. Much like putting down your utensils between taking bites of food. Keeping a glass in your hand is a surefire way to drink the contents more quickly. I know it isn't always possible in a party setting, but I still think it helps.

    Gamecenter/Gamertag/Steam ID/PSN: Entriech
    Guild Wars 2: Entriech.3507 | Scythe Gearsnap, Phlork, Irenic
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Registered User regular
    I switched to straight whiskey sipped from a lowball. The burning sensation and whiskey stones make it difficult to drink quickly so it ends up hitting you at a steady rate.

    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    For me, when I got to stage of not wanting hangovers and wasting a whole saturday feeling like crap after a night of drinking, I started instituting a water rule, where I would periodically switch to a big glass of water once I felt a strong enough buzz. I also only drink beer, and keep it relatively light. Cheap, low alcohol beer, can usually be drunk all night without getting blackout, crazy drunk. You also need to stay away from drinking games.

    The problem usually isn't your own choices though, it's almost always the bastards you're out with. Many times I've been bought shots, bullied into slugging whiskey etc. because of other people. And at some point you have to have the self awareness and willingness to say no. (Note this usually means some other poor bastard has to take your shot, or drink two of them.)

  • EshEsh Sunshine! Kittens! Rainbows! Smiles! Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I switched to straight whiskey sipped from a lowball. The burning sensation and whiskey stones make it difficult to drink quickly so it ends up hitting you at a steady rate.

    See, I have the opposite issue. Unless I'm drinking a spendy whiskey, it's going down the hatch really fast.

    "At first he thought it might be a natural occurrence - maybe a rabbit. But upon closer inspection, it was clear a knife had been used. And rabbits don't carry knives."
Sign In or Register to comment.