Hello, you may now embed "gifv" simply by pasting the link (same as youtube). Enjoy!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

The Diamond Club [MiniPhalla]: DAY 6 -- Death On The Flop

Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed VigiloConfidoRegistered User regular
edited January 2013 in Critical Failures
Welcome to The Diamond Club, an exclusive cabal dedicated to a simple card game with...particularly high stakes.

This is a game of Phalla. Standard Phalla rules apply. I'm not going to waste OP space with standard Phalla rules. One thing to note: It is not required to include me in your PM conversations. You may do so if you wish, but don't consider it mandatory. Same goes for proboards. (By the same token, don't assume that I'm monitoring the conversations or proboards you send me -- if you need to send in orders or ask a clarification, send it to me specifically.)

This will be a highly experimental game of Phalla. If you've never played before, welcome! But I really would suggest that this particular Phalla would not make a good first experience. I'm not going to refuse entry to anyone, but consider yourself warned.

THE MECHANICS

In addition to the standard red vote each day, there will be a card mechanic.

A deck has been constructed, consisting of 33 standard playing cards: Two copies of each 1, 2, 3, and 4 of each suit, and a single Joker. At the beginning of the game, each player will be dealt one card.

Each day, you may PM me to choose your card action for the day. Your choices are: Play, Discard, and Hold.
Spoiler:

Each suit of cards represents two separate powers, as follows:
Spoiler:

Each day, the order of actions will proceed as follows:
Spoiler:

HOW CARDS WILL WORK

Let's take a 4 of clubs for our example. If you play 4 of Clubs targeting Gandalf_the_Crazed, it will add a score of 4 Guard and 4 Vig to my total for the day. Once all cards targeting me have been totaled together, the action with the highest score (AKA, the dominant score) has a certain probability of occurring. To calculate this probability, multiply that score by 10. In the event of two or more scores being tied, one will be RNG'd to be "dominant" for the day, after which it may or may not take effect based on the aforementioned probability.

Thus, in the example above, let's suppose the 4 of Clubs was the only card targeting me for the day. A coin-flip would decide whether "Guard" or "Vig" was dominant for these purposes. For the sake of the example, we'll say "Vig" won the coin flip. Since only the 4 of Clubs was played, the vig action has a (4 x 10 = 40)% chance of going through. Therefore, I would have a 40% chance of dying that night.

Obviously, a dominant score of 10 or greater will guarantee a successful action. Therefore, working together to coordinate card targets is the best way to avoid rolling the dice for your lives.

In the case of successful "Seer" and "Track" actions, each player who contributed a card of any suit to that pile will receive the results privately, even if their card did not actually contribute to the dominant score.

THE VILLAGER PM
You're a Card Shark!

You may have 1 card in hand at a time. Each day, you may choose to:

1) Play that card, targeting a specific player
2) Discard that card
3) Hold that card

At the end of the day, if you have no card in hand, you will be dealt a new one.

To play your card, PM me the name of the player you wish to target.

Win Condition: You win when all threats to the Card Sharks have been eliminated.


THE STORY THUS FAR

Day 1

Day 2

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
«13456715

Posts

  • Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Player List:

    1. Invictus
    2. Mill
    3. Typhus733
    4. OminousLozenge
    5. Kilnaga
    6. Mikey CTS
    7. The_Anonymous
    8. MrTLicious
    9. jdarksun
    10. KetBra
    11. Baidol
    12. Egos
    13. Lucedes
    14. SLyM
    15. TheRoadVirus
    16. Cythraul
    17. Smasher
    18. Macallan
    19. CesareB
    20. blahmcblah
    21. ObiFett
    22. stever777
    23. premium

    24. SaberOverEasy
    25. Smoove Operator

    RESERVES
    1. CaptainPlanet82
    2.

    Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Ask me about them!Registered User regular
    Maybe? Busy with my own game and classes about to start.

    Dichotomy wrote: »
    I play a lot of video games but I wouldn't call myself a "gamer" because "gamer" has become a pretty fucking disgusting label

    like "skinhead" or "republican"
  • MillMill Registered User regular
    [Insert one of many Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged jokes involving card game here]

  • Typhus733Typhus733 Yip! Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Signup, to be honest this sounds like a complete cluster-fuck...I love it.

    Typhus733 on
  • OminousLozengeOminousLozenge Registered User regular
    You had me at experimental.

    Sometimes I have ideas for things.
  • KilnagaKilnaga Registered User regular
    Sure, why not? Sing up!

    † We don't have to be mean. 'Cause, remember: no matter where you go... there you are. †
    Currently Reading:
    David McCullough's Truman
    Joseph Campbell's The Hero With A Thousand Faces

  • InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    Confirming that I really do want to signup!

    Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • Mikey CTSMikey CTS Okay... This looks bad.Registered User regular
    what's the buy-in?

    // PSN: wyrd_warrior //
    Hawkeye aka Kate Bishop - "Young Agengers: The Rising Tide" MHRP
    Astro Girl, Paragon of Titan - "And Justice for All" M&M3e
  • The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    Folding my hands every time

    camo_sig.png
  • MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    Diamonds are forever

  • InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    What does the joker do?

    Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Invictus wrote: »
    What does the joker do?

    Things.

    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • jdarksunjdarksun Scion of Chaos Registered User regular
    any color!

  • The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    MrTLicious wrote: »
    Diamonds are forever
    That's because tomorrow never dies.

    camo_sig.png
  • OminousLozengeOminousLozenge Registered User regular
    MrTLicious wrote: »
    Diamonds are forever
    That's because tomorrow never dies.

    Never Say Never Again

    Sometimes I have ideas for things.
  • KetBraKetBra hiRegistered User regular
    yeah I'll sign up for this thing

    3Xr7gy4.jpg
  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    RNG phalla

  • EgosEgos God Hand Registered User regular
    tumblr_me6tfsIpwm1qji1vvo1_500.png
    sign

  • LucedesLucedes Registered User regular
    signup

    i am the test subject~

    subject me to tests~

  • LucedesLucedes Registered User regular
    also, diamonds seem hilariously bad in this game.

    "well, maybe i guard you, and maybe you die."

  • SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    This looks cool

    Steam Starcraft SLeague of Legends
  • SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Lucedes wrote: »
    also, diamonds seem hilariously bad in this game.

    "well, maybe i guard you, and maybe you die."

    That's why you get one person to use diamond and another to use spades.

    Then hope no ones plays clubs on them.

    Steam Starcraft SLeague of Legends
  • The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    MrTLicious wrote: »
    Diamonds are forever
    That's because tomorrow never dies.

    Never Say Never Again
    But the world is not enough!

    camo_sig.png
  • OminousLozengeOminousLozenge Registered User regular
    MrTLicious wrote: »
    Diamonds are forever
    That's because tomorrow never dies.

    Never Say Never Again
    But the world is not enough!

    I can only offer you a Quantum of Solace.

    Sometimes I have ideas for things.
  • TheRoadVirusTheRoadVirus The DM with the plan... that is sure to be ruined soon Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    sign_up.svg

    TDPforum.png
    New ep. every Monday. On iTunes and Android podcast apps!. Subscribe by Email
    PM with questions/critiques, or if we are not showing up in your app of choice.

    PSN: The_Road_Virus NNID: TheRoadVirus Twitch: The_Road_Virus Steam: TheRoadVirus WISHLIST
  • LucedesLucedes Registered User regular
    SLyM wrote: »
    Lucedes wrote: »
    also, diamonds seem hilariously bad in this game.

    "well, maybe i guard you, and maybe you die."

    That's why you get one person to use diamond and another to use spades.

    Then hope no ones plays clubs on them.

    nah

    you just use it like a really, truly terrible vig

    i mean, 4 of diamonds is "20% chance you die, 80% chance nothing visible happens"

    the 1 of diamonds (alone) is probably the worst card, it's "5% chance you die, 95% chance nothing visible happens"

  • Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    I should add that Ahava helped balance this, so don't worry. It's not just the product of my diseased mind.

    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    Done and done

    What does the joker do?

    MrTLicious wrote:
    I'm done.

    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    I'll play

  • MacallanMacallan Registered User regular
    Deal me in

  • CesareBCesareB Registered User regular
    I'm a whale!

  • Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Image version of the suit powers has been edited in. On a related note, I apparently (for whatever reason) shifted the suit powers between the time I made notes and the time I made the image. It's more work to change the image than to change the suit powers, so please see the edited OP for the new suit-to-power correspondences.

    6 slots remaining.

    Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • blahmcblahblahmcblah President Klepto In your Quorum, stealing your pensRegistered User regular
    Looks like fun! What could possibly go wrong?

    Playing: "Caprica" Six in Exodus Game 12 of Battlestar Galactica
    President Romo Lampkin in BSG: Daybreak Game 1
  • LucedesLucedes Registered User regular
    you really should have put vig and guard across from each other.

    OH WELL.

  • Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Lucedes wrote: »
    you really should have put vig and guard across from each other.

    OH WELL.

    The adjacency was intentional. Only one of the powers can trigger per target anyway.

    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Deal me in

    SWTOR Main - Novah (Shadowlands)
    Xbox Live - ObiFett (Destiny / Neverwinter / Smite)
    Other Games - Hearthstone / Heroes of the Storm / Diablo 3 / Endless Legend
    Fun fact: obi never shits. He burns efficiently enough so as to produce minimal waste. All leftover matter is deposited in his venom sacs
  • stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
  • LucedesLucedes Registered User regular
    so the potential specials are extra cards in hand, and control of which side of the card you can use?

    seems pretty sweet.

  • TheRoadVirusTheRoadVirus The DM with the plan... that is sure to be ruined soon Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    I PLAY BLUE EYES WHITE DRAGON IN DEFENSE MODE

    TDPforum.png
    New ep. every Monday. On iTunes and Android podcast apps!. Subscribe by Email
    PM with questions/critiques, or if we are not showing up in your app of choice.

    PSN: The_Road_Virus NNID: TheRoadVirus Twitch: The_Road_Virus Steam: TheRoadVirus WISHLIST
  • premiumpremium Registered User regular
    Hit me!

«13456715
Sign In or Register to comment.