As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

BoardGame of Thrones: Pre-PAX Boardgame Night at the Westin (Feedback Time!)

• Options
    LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    Ifandbut wrote: »
    Wow...this sounds cool.
    Last year was my first PAX and I was so overwhelmed that I never had the chance to sit down and actually play some games.
    Gona talk my friends into going to this. Do we have to reserve a seat or anything or do we just show up?

Just show up!

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • Options
    PopinskiPopinski Registered User regular
    Are there going to be any games for new players :)
    I think out of that list, Cards against Humanity is the only thing we've played.
    We definitely need expand our geek-horizons!!!

• Options
    SchmulkiSchmulki Registered User regular
    Popinski wrote: »
    I think out of that list, Cards against Humanity is the only thing we've played.

I can't speak for everyone, but as a whole, board gamers are generally pretty happy to teach a game to someone who is interested in learning and excited to play. It's just a matter of what kind of game you want to play. See this thread for a pretty long discussion on the topic, already: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/172636/tabletop-freeplay-discussion/p1

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Popinski wrote: »

This "event" is really just a glorified hangout for folks who want to get a little game on the night before PAX. The games are all brought by individual attendees and you can never be sure what's on hand or what will be going on until you get there and check it out. But by and large, this:
    Schmulki wrote: »
    board gamers are generally pretty happy to teach a game to someone who is interested in learning and excited to play.

tends to be very true for this event. Just don't let someone devirginize you with a game of Arkham Asylum* Horror. It's a great game but definitely for those with more "experienced" tastes. Actually, asking if a game is good for new players before sitting at the table is a great solution.

* Posting before coffee. Sorry about that.

LexiconGrrl on
  • Options
    So we're bringing (including but not limited to):

Pandemic
    Ticket to Ride Europe
    Flash Duel
    Aye, Dark Overlord

• Options
    APacManAPacMan Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    ...Just don't let someone devirginize you with a game of Arkham Asylum. It's a great game but definitely for those with more "experienced" tastes...

Lexicon is referring to 'Arkham Horror' (Arkham Asylum is the awesome Batman videogame)*... Emphasis on the horror, and definitely a valid point about it being meant for... experienced tastes. Though it is my favorite boardgame of all time, it takes 4+ hours and the group has an extraordinary chance (rather high for a boardgame) of losing.
    That is... unless they made an Asylum board game... oooh....

Thank you, for organizing this, LexiconGrrl!

*Lexicon totally understands the horror

APacMan on
    We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. -Robert Wilensky

Twitter: @APacManSays
  • Options
    koolarookoolaroo Registered User regular
    I have a copy of Carcassonne I could bring and maybe I could finaly learn how to play it.

• Options
    eloelo That guy over there... Smoke stack central, NJRegistered User regular
    I may have to wander down to the lobby and check this out. I managed to score a room at the Seaport, so for the first year since I've been going, ill be close enough to participate without having to take a really lengthy walk :)

0j92muX.png
  • Options
    LinkSmashLinkSmash Registered User regular
    I am SO! all for Cards Against Humanity! It's on!!!

• Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    elo wrote: »
    I may have to wander down to the lobby and check this out. I managed to score a room at the Seaport, so for the first year since I've been going, ill be close enough to participate without having to take a really lengthy walk :)

There's going to be a Seaport game night too! Lexi said the info is coming soon!

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    GhostDanGhostDan Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I will have Game of Thrones with me (just the core pack right now, but i might pick up some expansions if I head out). I've only played with one other person so far so it'll be interesting to see what happens when it's expanded to 4. I will be showing up after the dinner.

Also a really great way to show gratitude to some of these hotels is to go through the preferred guest system. If you have status at the hotel (the Westin is a Starwood hotel) let the preferred membership group know what you think. Positive reviews help the hotels earn awards. I've got platinum status with SPG so I let them know just how awesome I think this all is.

GhostDan on
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    koolaroo wrote: »
    I have a copy of Carcassonne I could bring and maybe I could finaly learn how to play it.

Bring it - I know lots of people (including me) who would be happy to teach you.
    ...Just don't let someone devirginize you with a game of Arkham Asylum. It's a great game but definitely for those with more "experienced" tastes...

Lexicon is referring to 'Arkham Horror' (Arkham Asylum is the awesome Batman videogame)... Emphasis on the horror, and definitely a valid point about it being meant for... experienced tastes. Though it is my favorite boardgame of all time, it takes 4+ hours and the group has an extraordinary chance (rather high for a boardgame) of losing.
    That is... unless they made an Asylum board game... oooh....

Thank you, for organizing this, LexiconGrrl!

D'oh! Thanks for the catch. Post is updated.

LexiconGrrl on
  • Options
    PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    This looks awesome! Between dinner and booth setup I will probably be here with a crate of games. I will post a list of the games I'm bringing as PAX gets closer.

I could even grab some stuff from the booth and run LightWeightRPG demos or our upcoming card game.

• Options
    maimey_gummersmaimey_gummers Pittsburgh,PARegistered User new member
    Oh man, I hope I get to play some Arkham Horror. I love that game!

• Options
    TehmightybooshyTehmightybooshy Registered User regular
    I wouldn't consider it a boardgame, but I just started playing Warmachine, so if anyone would want to play a small game(I know table space will be limited) I think that would be fun! I also want to get some Arkham Horror in if someone brings it.

• Options
    I wouldn't consider it a boardgame, but I just started playing Warmachine, so if anyone would want to play a small game(I know table space will be limited) I think that would be fun! I also want to get some Arkham Horror in if someone brings it.

There would probably be room for Warmachine if you got there early and snagged a large-ish table. Just remember that it's a makeshift gaming area so you should make sure there's room for drinks/snacks/tools/books on the table itself in addition to the game. Warmachine also has a pretty good presence at PAX in the tabletop area, in case schlepping all that stuff to and from the Hotel on Thursday is too much.

• Options
    DominoDomino Keizen Mikazuki New York, NYRegistered User regular
    Might I recommend Super Dungeon Explore? Now that I'll be in the Westin, I look forward to this :3

tFh5HdJ.png
  • Options
    <Omicron-8643><Omicron-8643> Just outside DC. Registered User regular
    I'll totally be down for a small game of Warmachine. I've only just started myself. It'd be pretty slapdash but a small game shouldn't take up too much room.

• Options
    iltailta Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    There's a fair chance I'm going to be arriving too late to do any gaming that night, but for the record I'm planning to bring my X wing set (definitely enough for two people to have a good 100 point+ battle) and some number of euro-games. For the Win and Eminent Domain are especially likely, as is Cash n Guns. If I don't catch you guys at the pre-con event, I'll certainly see you all in the gaming hall or on the lines.

If you have any requests, here's my BGG game list, which is mostly complete: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/ilta (make sure to set the filter to "owned: YES")

I do love games.

EDIT: I'll be at the event!

ilta on
  • Options
    Alpha I OmegaAlpha I Omega Button Pusher in local news Registered User regular
    ilta wrote: »
    There's a fair chance I'm going to be arriving too late to do any gaming that night, but for the record I'm planning to bring my X wing set (definitely enough for two people to have a good 100 point+ battle) and some number of euro-games. For the Win and Eminent Domain are especially likely, as is Cash n Guns. If I don't catch you guys at the pre-con event, I'll certainly see you all in the gaming hall or on the lines.

If you have any requests, here's my BGG game list, which is mostly complete: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/ilta (make sure to set the filter to "owned: YES")

I do love games.
    You wouldnt happen to have the PA game Paint the Line?

| Xbox Live GT: Alpha I Omega | PAX's Attended: Prime '11, Prime '12, Prime '13, East '13, Prime '14, Prime '15 |
    | Astro Gaming Chat Expert and Community Leader | Bacon Aficionado | Ewok Assassin |
    | Here's my BGG if you're a nerd: http://boardgamegeek.com/user/Alpha+I+Omega |
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I don't. But I might by the time I leave PAX.... :)

ilta on
  • Options
    TehmightybooshyTehmightybooshy Registered User regular
    I have paint the line. I'll bring it along with my warmachine stuff!

• Options
    DangeresquetooDangeresquetoo Registered User regular
    Winter is ....on the way! It...pre....it's winter time. It...it's gone be cold...so you....better bring a coat!

• Options

I've been interested in trying out Ground Floor if you feel like bringing/teaching that.

• Options

I do love games.

This is the thread for the Pre-PAX Boardgame night event. There is a separate thread for tabletop gaming during PAX.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/172636/tabletop-freeplay-discussion

• Options
    ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I'll probable bring Grimorie, Meta Game, Zombie Dice and Alien Dice. Maybe Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizards: Duel at Mt. Skullzfyre if I have room...

Chorazin on
    Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    Alpha I OmegaAlpha I Omega Button Pusher in local news Registered User regular
    I don't. But I might by the time I leave PAX.... :)
    Check the promos a the merch booth, at Prime last year I think if you spent $75 you got it for free :)
    I have paint the line. I'll bring it along with my warmachine stuff!
    Awesome!

| Xbox Live GT: Alpha I Omega | PAX's Attended: Prime '11, Prime '12, Prime '13, East '13, Prime '14, Prime '15 |
    | Astro Gaming Chat Expert and Community Leader | Bacon Aficionado | Ewok Assassin |
    | Here's my BGG if you're a nerd: http://boardgamegeek.com/user/Alpha+I+Omega |
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Lex: noted. As I said, there's still a decent chance I'm going to make the pre-con gaming. But if you guys want I can post the same thing over there and we can move the discussion.

Schmulke: I can totally bring GF. I haven't even opened it yet but I'm hoping to get at least one play in before the con.

ilta on
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Lex: noted. As I said, there's still a decent chance I'm going to make the pre-con gaming. But if you guys want I can post the same thing over there and we can move the discussion.

Your post said that you probably wouldn't be able to make it, but if you plan to be there on Thursday night at the Westin, absolutely keep the discussion here. Threads on topic = Good.

LexiconGrrl on
  • Options
    Well it's all very much up in the air. Sorry if I was confusing, I'm just trying to jump in on gaming goodness. :) To be safe I've moved the discussion over to the other thread, and if I can make it to the pre-PAX gaming it'll be a pleasant addition.

• Options
    KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    Bah - posted this reply in the wrong forum. So, here it is again:
    If you don't want to schlep your copy down, I can bring mine - I'm a local, so bag limits are not especially problematic for me. Also, I will happily bring stuff from my collection down for people to play, even if I wind up doing the PokeCrawl instead (which is about 50/50 at this point) - just let me know what you would like me to bring!

Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

• Options
    MoociferMoocifer Artsy Broad Registered User regular
    I loved meeting people and playing things last year! I can't wait until this year's! :D

PAX East 2014!!!1!one
    3 Day Pass: [x] // Travel: [ x] // Time Off: [ x] // Hotel: [x]
    Twitter: @amysophie
    Twitter: amysophie
    Gamertag/Steam: Vixen Valentine
  • Options
    maimey_gummersmaimey_gummers Pittsburgh,PARegistered User new member
    Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizards: Duel at Mt. Skullzfyre??! Please, oh please, bring that!

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Khadour wrote: »
    ...even if I wind up doing the PokeCrawl instead (which is about 50/50 at this point) - just let me know what you would like me to bring!

One of us. One of us. One of us.

LexiconGrrl on
  • Options
    jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
    Does anyone think they'll be bring the new Marvel or DC deck building games? Just saw them at my comic store and they look really interesting.....

• Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    I saw them too! I'm hoping someone brings them to our Long Wharf game night.

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    klzklz Registered User regular
    My group is at the Seaport, so I'm still hoping the thread for that hits soon, but if not, we'll take the short walk over to the Westin. Looking forward to this year!

• Options
    The Seaport thread is up! (ish). There's still some final details to work out but we've got confirmation from the hotel that they'll host us and we can start planning.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/175111/rapture-pre-pax-game-night-at-the-seaport

@elo
    @klz

• Options
    <Omicron-8643><Omicron-8643> Just outside DC. Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I'll definitely be bringing the Star Wars LCG with me now that I know we'll have enough room. I'll be happy to lend it out to someone if they want to play while I'm playing Warmachine.

<Omicron-8643> on
  • Options
    jdixon1972 wrote: »
    Does anyone think they'll be bring the new Marvel or DC deck building games? Just saw them at my comic store and they look really interesting.....

I've played them. The DC one is AWFUL. The Marvel one is quite fun. I don't own either one, sorry.

This discussion has been closed.