As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

BoardGame of Thrones: Pre-PAX Boardgame Night at the Westin (Feedback Time!)

• Options
    LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Under the page for the Sauciety restaurant, it says the dress code is "Casual Sophistication." Now, I'm a simple man and while I know what both those words mean independent of one another, I haven't the foggiest idea what they mean together.

It's not a dress code really, it's just a description for out of town businesspeople who are considering the restaurant. Besides, the restaurant is shut down completely that night and only gamers will be there. Which means for example, that I can call my Kwisatz Haderach tshirt 'casually sophisticated' if I damn well please.

LexiconGrrl on
    Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • Options
    <Omicron-8643><Omicron-8643> Just outside DC. Registered User regular
    Awesome. I was looking at pictures of this place and it was ritzy as all get out. Now I'm all the more excited!

• Options
    Khadour wrote: »
    OK - found someone to take charge of the games for me, so I'll bring down whatever people want to play.

May I recommend writing your name and contact info (email or phone) on the inside of the box covers? At Prime this year someone got really into writing long notes to the players on the inside of his boxtops. And he got every piece back safely.

• Options
    UnnDunnUnnDunn New York, NYRegistered User regular
    OMG I am so there! I was going to go to the Rock Band Night, but screw that, I'm going to this.

I'll have Ticket To Ride (standard) and two Summoner Wars boards in tow.

• Options
    DelaneyDelaney Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Has anyone else watched an episode or two of Wil Wheaton's Tabletop as a way to prepare for new games at this? :)

Delaney on
    "I will participate in the game. It's a wonderful, wonderful opera, except that it hurts." - Joseph Campbell

Steam: delaney_a

• Options
    iFishiFish Programmer CanadaRegistered User regular
    I'll be bringing "Werewolf" it's a game similar to "Mafia" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mafia_(party_game)

So I'll have that along with a copy of the instructions.

• Options
    TabooPhantasyTabooPhantasy Registered User regular
    I'll be bringing Miskatonic School for Girls, Settlers of Catan, Cards Against Humanity, Pirate Fluxx, Gloom, and maybe something else if I think of another good game to bring/have room.

~Taboo
    BH11Fnk.png
  • Options
    SchmulkiSchmulki Registered User regular
    iFish wrote: »
    I'll be bringing "Werewolf" it's a game similar to "Mafia" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mafia_(party_game)

Honestly, if you like games like that, your best bet is The Resistance. It's a hidden role thing, similar to those, is VERY simple rules-wise, but VERY challenging, at the same time, without player elimination that some other games like that involve.

• Options
    ScorpiusScorpius Registered User regular
    I will be there with some tabletop RPGs that can be run in 1-3 hours. I'll have with me Fiasco, Dragon Brigade, Pulp!, Marvel Heroic and Dungeon World. I'll also have these games with me at Games on Demand during the convention.

Also I'd like to note, that I was talking with the chef of the Westin's other restaurant MJ O'Connors. This one is not owned and operated by the Westin. They seemed surprised to learn that this event was going on, having been uninformed by the Westin. They're not sure at this point wether they want to allow open gaming that night, but have a feeling that there will be some natural bleed. Someone (Maybe Lexicongirl?) may want to reach out to them ahead of time.

• Options
    iltailta Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Ooh, "Resistance" is a great line-game choice -- plays fast, light, and quick but gets lots of people involved. I have a copy and might bring that too; I am now definitely coming to the Thursday gaming night btw.

ilta on
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Scorpius wrote: »
    Also I'd like to note, that I was talking with the chef of the Westin's other restaurant MJ O'Connors. This one is not owned and operated by the Westin. They seemed surprised to learn that this event was going on, having been uninformed by the Westin. They're not sure at this point wether they want to allow open gaming that night, but have a feeling that there will be some natural bleed. Someone (Maybe Lexicongirl?) may want to reach out to them ahead of time.

MJ O'Connor's doesn't really have the floorspace to handle this crowd, and I doubt that they'd be willing to shut down the entire restaurant on spec for the night. The Westin has room for 300 gamers and three bars.

Edit: Regarding natural bleed, I'm sure that they'll be happy to handle anyone that wants to go over there and game but it's not really necessary to do a formal thing with them at this point, with all the seats that the hotel is providing for us.

LexiconGrrl on
  • Options
    ilta wrote: »
    Ooh, "Resistance" is a great line-game choice -- plays fast, light, and quick but gets lots of people involved. I have a copy and might bring that too; I am now definitely coming to the Thursday gaming night btw.

Super! Any changes to the previous list of games you posted?

• Options
    DestinyHeroDestinyHero Otaku PARegistered User regular
    Looking really forward to this. Last year one of my most fun experiences was playing some PUG Werewolf games with people after hours.

• Options
    ScorpiusScorpius Registered User regular
    Okie dokie. I was just thinking that since the Westin is physically attached to the convention center, you may get a substantially larger percentage of people over the other two game night sites. I've seen hotel lobbies run out of space fast at conventions. I've also seen hotel bars/restaurants ask people to take their game elsewhere.

Either way, I'll be there with games and I hope for the best.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Okie dokie. I was just thinking that since the Westin is physically attached to the convention center, you may get a substantially larger percentage of people over the other two game night sites.

This is why these events were all planned with the hotels and have space given by the hotels The Westin is offering substantially more space than the other two venues, and this is the first year there have even been organized events at other venues. I wouldn't worry about it.

• Options
    annarchyjaneannarchyjane Registered User regular
    Looking forward to board games at the Westin! I'm planning on bringing Red Dragon Inn, haven't played it beyond just barely figuring out the rules, but it seems pretty fun. And does Yahtzee count as a "board game"? YAHTZEE!

With fingernails that shine like justice / and a voice that is dark like tinted glass
    She is fast and thorough / and sharp as a tack
    She's touring the facility / and picking up slack
  • Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    Looking forward to board games at the Westin! I'm planning on bringing Red Dragon Inn, haven't played it beyond just barely figuring out the rules, but it seems pretty fun. And does Yahtzee count as a "board game"? YAHTZEE!

oooh red dragon inn has been on my amazon wishlist for quite some time, always thought it looked like fun!

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    edited March 2013

Super! Any changes to the previous list of games you posted?

Well, I've got Core Worlds and its expansion on order now, hoping it arrives in time (it probably will). Anyone interested in that game?

Current list (as much for my memory as because you asked):
    X Wing
    Eminent Domain
    For The Win*
    Innovation*
    Cash n Guns
    Resistance*
    Ground Floor (possibly)
    Skyline* (very likely)

Anything else from this list that gets requested:
    http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/ilta (make sure to set the filter to "owned: YES")

* = good line game possibility and very light, so I'll likely keep at least one of these on me at all times on the floor during the convention proper

ilta on
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    What @Zerzhul said is correct. But this:
    I've also seen hotel bars/restaurants ask people to take their game elsewhere.

Is the other reason why it's a formally organized event now. Two years ago it happened in the hotel's lobby bar/cafe.

MJ O'Connor's has never had a problem with PAX attendees gaming there, and I don't think they'll ask anyone to leave unless they're tablesquatting without ordering. Which brings up an important segue. Gaming at a restaurant/bar has an important set of unwritten rules to follow, to ensure that everyone has a good time - including the restaurant. There's a post about it here for anyone who likes to game and drink at public establishments, with advice that will help make sure you don't get asked to leave.

LexiconGrrl on
  • Options
    Well, I've got Core Worlds and its expansion on order now, hoping it arrives in time (it probably will). Anyone interested in that game?

Current list (as much for my memory as because you asked):
    X Wing
    Eminent Domain
    For The Win*
    Innovation*
    Cash n Guns
    Resistance*
    Ground Floor (possibly)
    Skyline* (very likely)

Anything else from this list that gets requested:
    http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/ilta (make sure to set the filter to "owned: YES")

* = good line game possibility and very light, so I'll likely keep at least one of these on me at all times on the floor during the convention proper

I played the base game 2 times, it was mildly interesting, I'd be interested in checking out the expansion. I'd still rather try out Ground Floor since I haven't played it yet, though :)

One note, though, Innovation isn't light or short, I wouldn't call it a great line game. If there's new people, it takes a good 1-2 hrs to play. I'd say Cash n Guns is a better game for lines than that. Don't get me wrong, I really dig Innovation (esp with the 2 expansions), just might not be a good setting for it.

• Options
    edited March 2013
    Core Worlds: The expansion fixes a number of issues that I've heard reported with the core game, particularly the slow/procedural start, and also adds guilds for a neat twist. I've only played the game with the expansion and I loved it, so I'm pretty stoked.

Innovation as a line game: I find that my games tend to play under an hour unless it's four people with big AP problems, or they are new to the game. It's not light when you teach it, I suppose, which might dis-recommend it from line game choice. I own the first expansion, which does add time to the game, that's for sure, but I wouldn't pull that out for a first game. By "light" I mostly meant physically, so it's easy to carry around the convention floor. The box for CnG is pretty large and laying out all the components takes space.

We should probably move any actual discussion of the merits of games to the convention board game thread though; this should really stay about the pre-PAX Westin event.

To that end, even though another person has offered to bring GF, my own copy is looking increasingly likely. I may need someone to teach me my own game though, at the rate my work is going these days. :)

ilta on
  • Options
    ripresaripresa Registered User regular
    I'm so excited to join!
    I usually go to BGGCon, so this sounds awesome!

• Options
    KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    Just played Ground Floor this past week for the first time - it's not terribly complex to pick up, just takes a turn or two for everything to click. The video online does a good job of explaining it.

Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

• Options
    ripresaripresa Registered User regular
    Also, if anyone else has been banished to the Embassy Suites at Logan airport and want to play boardgames there, let me know!!! :)

• Options
    N13N13 Registered User regular
    I managed to get a room at the Westin for Th and F, so I'd love to join the game night. My PAXmate is also interested.

Can bring: Zombie Dice, Munchkin base, Star Fluxx, Back to the Future (themed Chrononauts) and maybe Dominion (depending on whether I can pack it).
    Especially want to try: Small World, The Shab-Al-Hiri Roach, Gamma World, Pandemic, Castle Panic, Tsuro, Race for the Galaxy, Arkham Horror, Werewolf
    Would love to play again: CAH, Blokus, TTR, Gloom

• Options
    bschorybschory Cambridge, MARegistered User regular
    iFish wrote: »

I am so very down for this.

• Options
    Apocalypse SocksApocalypse Socks Registered User new member
    Anyone planning on maybe playing some Twilight Imperium? And feeling up to teaching a very interested gamer the ropes of the game?

MDP-sig.jpg
  • Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    N13 wrote: »
    I managed to get a room at the Westin for Th and F, so I'd love to join the game night. My PAXmate is also interested.

Can bring: Zombie Dice, Munchkin base, Star Fluxx, Back to the Future (themed Chrononauts) and maybe Dominion (depending on whether I can pack it).
    Especially want to try: Small World, The Shab-Al-Hiri Roach, Gamma World, Pandemic, Castle Panic, Tsuro, Race for the Galaxy, Arkham Horror, Werewolf

my boyfriend has just today purchased gloom from the internets, so assuming we enjoy it once we give it a try there is a good chance we will bring it along to the westin. we also will have cards against humanity with us, because we're cool.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    tvethiopia wrote: »
    we also will have cards against humanity with us, because we're cool.

I dunno, I think CAH is kinda played out.

THERE. I SAID IT. I'M SICK OF CAH. IT WAS FUN 18 MONTHS AGO BUT IT'S NOT A F'ING LIFESTYLE.

SACRILEGE!!!

LexiconGrrl on
  • Options
    we also will have cards against humanity with us, because we're cool.

THERE. I SAID IT. I'M SICK OF CAH. IT WAS FUN 18 MONTHS AGO BUT IT'S NOT A F'ING LIFESTYLE.

SACRILEGE!!!

This is why you need to play with our custom deck in IRC :)

• Options
    ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    N13 wrote: »

my boyfriend has just today purchased gloom from the internets, so assuming we enjoy it once we give it a try there is a good chance we will bring it along to the westin. we also will have cards against humanity with us, because we're cool.

Oh yeah, I totally forgot I have Cthulhu Gloom I can easily bring! It's a fun game when you play with creative people, but a drop dead dud when no one wants to be creative.

Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    smorggiesmorggie Boston, MARegistered User regular
    I will be bringing a purchased set of Cards Against Humanity (with expansions), Munchkin Booty (with expansion), and Munchkin (with the Need for Steed expansion and I don't even know what other expansions are thrown in there)
    and please no one dump beer on my cards like last year T_T haha!

• Options
    KastorsKornerKastorsKorner Gaming Editor Hard Hittin' New BritainRegistered User regular
    Definitely down for this. If anyone specifically wants to play any of the following, I can bring:
    Ascension (w/ all expansions), Thunderstone Advance (w/ all expansions), any and all Munchkin sets, Citadels, The Walking Dead (comics version), Frag, DC Comics Deck Building Game, X-Wing miniatures game, Zombies, Gauntlet of Fools, Flash Point: Fire Rescue, Room 25, Nuns on the Run...

Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head that play fairly quickly. I'd love to play a game of Eclipse or Mage Knight but that would take all night :/

• Options

SACRILEGE!!!

Preach on, brotha (sista, whatever)

It's jut not a good game. It's Apples to Apples, only with dirtier cards. It still has all the same issues.

If you want a good game like that, get Say Anything. It's simple:

One person draws a card, asks one of the questions on the card (their choice). Everyone has a small whitebooard, writes the answer the answer they think the person will select. Real, fake, joke, serious, draw a picture if you want. Then, the reader of the question secretly selects their answer, everyone else bets on what will be selected, then everything is revealed. Whoever's question gets picked and whoever guessed the right answer gets points, play X rounds, whoever has the most points, wins.

There's never a round where you have crap cards in your hand, so you can't play anything good.
    The rounds go quick, since you don't have to think about what card kinda fits, you just write down what comes to your head.
    As long as the group is mildly funny and creative, it is MUCH more fun than Apples Against Humanity.

• Options
    Let's not get too much into debates about good games and bad games please :)

• Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Boston, MARegistered User regular
    I've got Tsuro (in the requested). Will be on the crawl but can leave it with a few friends that will be gaming at the Westin.

5I7JEDi.png
  • Options
    Miss_BellatrixMiss_Bellatrix Registered User new member
    Awesome! This is where myself, husband and friends are all staying. We won't be arriving till late as we're driving from Canada but yup...I'm sure we'll try and be there. I'm so happy to see Fluxx on the list! I JUST was introduced to this game and I love it :)

• Options
    KuozarKuozar Registered User regular
    I have Tsuro and Tsuro of the Seas and will bring them. I will also be bringing Kittens in a Blender.

• Options
    Definitely down for this. If anyone specifically wants to play any of the following, I can bring:
    Ascension (w/ all expansions), Thunderstone Advance (w/ all expansions), any and all Munchkin sets, Citadels, The Walking Dead (comics version), Frag, DC Comics Deck Building Game, X-Wing miniatures game, Zombies, Gauntlet of Fools, Flash Point: Fire Rescue, Room 25, Nuns on the Run...

Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head that play fairly quickly. I'd love to play a game of Eclipse or Mage Knight but that would take all night :/

I will be bringing my X Wing set so it'd be lovely to get some gaming happening there.

And Citadels is great.

• Options
    ransimransim Registered User regular
    Both me and Robziel will be there to help with Cookie Brigade stuff. We'll be bringing Cards against Humanity, Munchkin (with a variety of expansions) and probably Zombies! and Zombie Dice.

Had a ton of fun last year.

This discussion has been closed.