As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

:: SOLID SAINTS 2013 :: $12,505USD went to Childs Play! Well done, everyone!

• Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    Janson I wish I wouldve heard about this sooner. Ive had my brother mail everything mail off for me. Long story short, he was living with us, he showed to be less than trustworthy and thus no longer lives with us.
    Campion - I know for a fact you got atleast the first batch of cookies, let me know if you didnt get any of the others.

Mully - I know theres no excuse for me not following through and checking to ensure delivery, and I especially shoudlve double checked once other issues started to arise with my brother, but this never crossed my mind. If its acceptable with you, Janson and Campion, Ill work with those guys to make up for anything they didnt get (and then some).

I'm Awesoming this because MrDrPr is a standup guy for trying to make it right. :)

• Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Is a PAX East 2012 badge, signed by Jerry and Mike, something people would bid on?

If anything, it's fairly rare. They only produce like... maybe 100ish total signed badges a year?

You can't just buy one either. You have to go on an epic quest to get one.
    Epic awesomeness, but still epic.

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    mully wrote: »
    Childs Play just donated a whooole whack of stuff to me
    more than what I'm about to post here, but I want your guys' help.

how do I bundle these things? (if i did it individually, it'd go for cheap and cost me more in shipping than would ever get to CP)

Scene It? Movie Clips / Trivia for Xbox with Buzzers
    Batman Arkham City for Xbox with Book
    Circle of Doom for Xbox
    NBA2K13 for Xbox
    NBA2K13 for Xbox
    MagnaCarta2 for Xbox
    Borderlands 2 for Xbox
    Heroes Over Europe for Xbox
    Divinity II for Xbox
    Fable 3 for Xbox
    Rain for Xbox
    Dishonored for PS3
    GodOfWar Saga for PS3
    GodOfWar Saga for PS4
    GodOfWar Saga for PS5
    Conflict: Denied Ops for PS3
    The Last Story for Wii
    CSI: Hard Evidence for Wii

I would probably go with... Dishonored/GoW bundle; Denied Ops/GoW bundle; Wii bundle; GoW and one of the AAA titles for xbox (maybe You Choose bundle? idk) and then split the remaining xbox games into two bundles that have a mix of games someone might actually want to play and shovelware games. I would think mixing consoles for one bundle wouldn't be too bad, I'm sure there are a lot of people like me who are living in multiple console houses who would bid on it!

• Options
    PersonfacePersonface HAIL GAY SATANRegistered User regular
    I think I will put up my services as an artist for bidding, which still feels sort of self-congratulatory and arrogant to me but sure!

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Nah dude. You're sharing your talent and helping the kids!

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I just submitted the two cookie auctions. I didn't include an ingredients list or anything, so I guess let me know if I should, or I can always answer questions about them individually.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    Gonna bid on all of the cookies

@ceres : for those of us cookie fiends who like to bake, maybe offer a separate lot of just the recipes? I would pay bux to CP just to get more recipes with ginger and cardamomnomnomnom

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Well, they aren't very complicated recipes.. I could just PM you with what I do and you could put what you feel is appropriate in the tip jar. I would feel a little weird making an auction for two simple recipes.

I guess what we could do is get all the cookie-bakers together into one PM conversation and make a CP recipe bundle of all of them to put up for auction.

• Options
    Are Starcraft training sessions auction-able?

Pro-players charge (some up to $100 / hr and higher) for coaching sessions...

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    I guess that was what I was suggesting, something that would be a good possibility as a secondary way to get in on the awesome cooking and baking

I will have to think on it... I think there might be some possible idea, like a pdf of delicious things cookbook sort of thing... Hmmm.

• Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    I guess that was what I was suggesting, something that would be a good possibility as a secondary way to get in on the awesome cooking and baking

I will have to think on it... I think there might be some possible idea, like a pdf of delicious things cookbook sort of thing... Hmmm.

Hmmmmmmm @Stale

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Hey @MrDoctorProfessor -- no worries! That explanation is more than sufficient, I feel! Packages go missing all the time. While it would be nice for all of us to track the packages, I think both sides should be on top of that.
    I agree! I was just as responsible for not following up!

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    So, I want to auction something off, cause helping sick kids is awesome...but the only have two real skills I think would be useful here:

Writing code.
    Playing Dota.

I could do something like Mmmig is saying, and offer up Dota 2 newbie lessons, but I think writing code for someone would be a more useful, higher priced auction.

I have two problems with that:

* Writing custom code can take a long time, having multiple cycles of user input leading to changes. I don't mind my time being taken, but hitting that April 1st deadline would be tough unless the project was very small.
    * I would have to put serious limits on it...like, I could write you a WoW Addon, or a simple Windows app to catalog your card collection...but asking me to write Microsoft Word is not feasible. I am also not a web designer, so while I could put together a great Rails app for you, it's not going to be some professional quality layout.

Yes, this post has a point: Given the skills I have to offer, what should I offer up for auction, and if it's code, how do I word it in such a way that people don't get super high expectations on what I can deliver in a month?

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I would set an hours cap and give examples of things you would like to do... I think it is feasible though. Quoth offered up x hours of writing and editing help last year, iirc

*edit to add: as an example of ways to donate time/project help

tapeslinger on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Definitely set an hours cap and give examples / suggestions.

You could also offer to teach programming. A certain number of hours, with what is taught depending on the winner's experience/comfort level. Anything from the very basics (with how to learn more) to "things that you should have learned in school but didn't" or code review.

• Options
    That's actually a not terrible idea Tomanta. Hmm, let me mull that over.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    Teaching is a very valuable thing to auction.

• Options
    fwiw, I would totally bid on a simple code project, because I have no skills at coding even the most basic things even though I have ideas

A class would be an interesting idea, too! Hmm.

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    Do you think you could write an iPhone app?

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    I am capable yes, but I am not a registered Apple developer. I would need to pay the Apple Developer fee, and brush up on my Objective C.

In the end, this is what I am thinking of putting up:

* 8 hours of one-on-one programming instruction.
    * Those hours can be split however you choose, whether that's one-on-one instruction from me via Skype, code reviews, or even pair programming over Skype with me.
    * Languages offered will be C#, C/C++, Ruby and Lua. Ancillary data markups like XML will be covered if appropriate. I can also cover a specific framework (such as Rails or WPF) if the bidding student is at that level of comfort.
    * Once I have a student, and know what language they want to learn, and I get a feel for their initial skill level (probably via a Skype interview), I'll put together a syllabus that will contain what we'll cover, as well as gobs of internet resources about the language in question.
    * If the user is really green and just wants to "learn programming", we'll go with Ruby and start from the super basics, like what an 'if' is.

Does that sound well defined enough, or should I put more detail?

• Options
    All I've got is some VB, so I'm not sure what enough detail is, but I think that's the sort of thing my husband might be interested in doing because programming is like the ONE SECTOR of IT where he is pretty green, and I think there might be more programming jobs than most other things. So you have at least one bidder, although chances are that won't stay in our price range for long.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I am capable yes, but I am not a registered Apple developer. I would need to pay the Apple Developer fee, and brush up on my Objective C.

In the end, this is what I am thinking of putting up:

* 8 hours of one-on-one programming instruction.
    * Those hours can be split however you choose, whether that's one-on-one instruction from me via Skype, code reviews, or even pair programming over Skype with me.
    * Languages offered will be C#, C/C++, Ruby and Lua. Ancillary data markups like XML will be covered if appropriate. I can also cover a specific framework (such as Rails or WPF) if the bidding student is at that level of comfort.
    * Once I have a student, and know what language they want to learn, and I get a feel for their initial skill level (probably via a Skype interview), I'll put together a syllabus that will contain what we'll cover, as well as gobs of internet resources about the language in question.
    * If the user is really green and just wants to "learn programming", we'll go with Ruby and start from the super basics, like what an 'if' is.

Does that sound well defined enough, or should I put more detail?

That's pretty cool.
    Maybe add that you won't explicitly do someone's class project / homework, but can otherwise act as guidance.

Also:

* All Skype sessions will be held with a black towel over my head and you shall refer to me as master.
    * There shall be no mention of my resemblance to E.T.

02emperor350.jpg

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I'd like to donate something too. I'm thinking I could make maps for someone's RPG (D&D, Pathfinder, whatever). As in, you tell me what you want your map(s) to look like, and then I send you a PDF or PSD.

I did these for someone who was running a PbP over in CF, though I don't remember who. These are some maps I've done for my own games:
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1322062/encmaps/TL/hollow.jpg
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1322062/encmaps/TH/bloodtower-enter3.jpg
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1322062/encmaps/TH/cliffhanger-round1.jpg
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1322062/encmaps/BC/battleoflevon-round0.jpg
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1322062/encmaps/BC/cackles-round1.jpg
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1322062/encmaps/BC/descent-round2.jpg
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1322062/encmaps/BC/hartharax-round7.jpg
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1322062/encmaps/BC/wind-round1c.jpg

All of those are obviously for online use, but I've made maps for print too. Oh there's also this world map that I made. Does that seem like something bid-worthy? Maybe set it up as a set of 5 or 10 maps or something, either for print or digital use?

Denada on
  • Options
    @MMMig: very good call on the course work thing. I am not going to do some college kids homework. I more envisioned this for people who aren't CS majors, who've always wanted to dabble.

I don't mind if it is a CS major, who just wants 8 hours of a professionals help...but I'm not doing someones class work for them.

And yes, the Emperor Palpatine thing is happening.

"Oh no my young Jedi, I think it is you who will find that you are mistaken, about a great many things".

• Options
    @GnomkeTank yeah especially since it's something that the student could get in trouble for, no need to facilitate that when he can't answer how the recursive function for his double-linked list works in his "hello world" program

@Denada - DUDE! CUSTOM MAPS??!!! HELLS YEAH!!!

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    It would be a recursive function using a lambda closure as well, doubly fun for him to explain to his first year C++ teacher how he learned what closures were.

• Options
    Okay cool. The deadline is April 1st, which gives me about a month and a half after the auction ... so I could probably do quite a bit in that time.

How should I package this? Hourly isn't quite a good fit, because sometimes I'll spend two hours getting a stack of barrels to look just right, and sometimes I'll do a whole dungeon in 30 minutes because everything fits together nice and easy. The size of the map might be tricky, because a big 24x36 print map might actually be quite simple depending on what's on it, but a single-room encounter map might take a lot longer depending on its complexity.

I don't know, I want this to be a good thing to bid on, so I'm thinking maybe just "10 custom maps, max size of 24"x36", PDF or PSD format (your choice)."

• Options
    edited January 2013
    I would put together a "campaign" package. So maybe a world map, plus a couple of town maps (maybe one large, one small), a couple of interior maps, and a couple of dungeon maps.

Let them give you customization ideas for each map, but have them bid on it as a package.

e: You could also offer to make one of the dungeon maps modular, so they can move the pieces around in any order they see fit.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    Hmm, that's an option. I did that for my own gaming group. I made 6 11x17 pages that were forest/grass on one side and city on the other side. They could be rearranged in any configuration you wanted. I think I used those for three different encounters and one skill challenge. I also made some modular dungeon rooms/hallways that I used to simulate three separate floors of an ancient dwarven prison.

Maybe I could just list all these things as options to entice people to bid. I don't want them to see "world map and two town maps" and then not bid because they don't need those things. But if they see a bunch of possibilities, like "world map, town maps, modular map tiles, dungeons, oh my!" they'll bid even if they don't have something specific in mind yet.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    @MMMig: very good call on the course work thing. I am not going to do some college kids homework. I more envisioned this for people who aren't CS majors, who've always wanted to dabble.

I don't mind if it is a CS major, who just wants 8 hours of a professionals help...but I'm not doing someones class work for them.

And yes, the Emperor Palpatine thing is happening.

"Oh no my young Jedi, I think it is you who will find that you are mistaken, about a great many things".

"Search your variables. You know it to be True."

Yes I know that's a Vader (mis)quote.
    edit: updated to reflect my language of choice.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    D&D stuff is really popular this year! Weird!

• Options
    Alright I'm settled. Pack of 10 anything-maps. I'm going to get together some pictures when I get home from work and then send in my email.

• Options
    Awwweeesoooome!

• Options
    PS: to anyone wondering if I got your email - I will be working on SS this weekend! I try not to do anything with it during the week for my own sanitys sake.

• Options
    AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    D&D stuff is really popular this year! Weird!

We all kind of figured out we could do better than what they are currently working on :P

• Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    :/ ugh i really need to know about these things sooner than the next auction
    @campion did you ever get your cookies from @mrdoctorprofessor ?

I received one delicious batch. That's ok though. 1 out of 4 cookie batches is part of my penance for my problems getting Joe's movie together.

4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Campion wrote: »
    :/ ugh i really need to know about these things sooner than the next auction
    @campion did you ever get your cookies from @mrdoctorprofessor ?

I received one delicious batch. That's ok though. 1 out of 4 cookie batches is part of my penance for my problems getting Joe's movie together.

It was OK!

• Options
    I'm doing a lot of inputting to my spreadsheet tonight, hope to start inputting to the site tonight or tomorrow. You guys are amazing - I think we're up to about 70 items so far (some will be combined though, ie the CP games)

If you're thinking of doing anything but aren't sure - pleaaaseeee just email me if you have any questions, or just offer it up! What's the worst that can happen!? If you're afraid it won't be worth your own time or of shipping costs, we can put a minimum bid or specific shipping instructions (ie, you pay if out of US, you pay shipping period, etc)

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    mully has a shiny new badge

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    @mully Congrats!!

l4lGvOw.png

wra