As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Protein supplements and whatnot

Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So I'm trying to gain a bit of strength and muscle mass, and I've been taking yucky tasting GNC protein stuff after my workouts... I'd like to try something tastier. I hear Muscle Milk is good, but is not intended for post workout... when do you drink it? Any other suggestions?

poo
Shazkar Shadowstorm on

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Take whatever you are using and then throw a piece of whatever fruit you enjoy the taste of. That's how I make my morning protein shake edible.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Related: before or after workouts? Like when should I drink? Example... I do Brazillian Jiu Jitsu for 2 hours on Monday and Weds nights, and Saturday afternoons, and lift weights Tuesday and Thursday mornings... when should I drink my protein shakes during the day.. and only on the days I work out? Also, should I work out more than I'm doing or is that good?

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    SUPER_JESUSSUPER_JESUS Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I have been drinking whey protein mixed with casein protein in a glass of milk. It doesnt taste great but as long as you get it blended well its not too bad. I also usually drink one in the morning and one at night before i go to bed as well as one right after i work out on those days

SUPER_JESUS on
  • Options
    trixtahtrixtah Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    on my heavy lifting days, I usually eat tons of protein throughout and take protein supps before and after. Oh, and I rather like GNC whey protein :p

if you want something delicious, throw all the protein, bananas, yogurt, and chocolate in the blender. mmmm

trixtah on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Hm, I gotta buy me a blender. Oh college life. The GNC whey protein isn't that bad it just seems to clump... maybe mines old.

Okay, so, here's my life so far w/regards to work outs.
    Never really lifted before now... Never was in any shape before now.

Monday: Brazilian Jiu-jitsu 9-11PM
    Tuesday: Go to the gym and lift from 8 - 9 AM (should I be there longer? Because I have time... I barely know what I am doing. I just do upper body, like arms and shoulders and whatnot on Tuesdays and legs and back on Thursday.. but I barely know what I am doing.)
    Wednesday: Same as Monday
    Thursday: Same as Tuesday
    Friday: Nothing?
    Saturday: Sometimes BJJ from 4-6PM
    Sunday: Nothing?

Okay, given this workout routine: A) should I add anything/lift for longer/do anything on my off days? B) Take protein supplements every day, or just after I work out, or both before and after I work out, or... I dunno...
    It's all quite confusing.

And whey + some other stuff? What's this business with fish oil?

Also... should I not have this thread and should it be in the fitness thread? I thought it was different since it's mostly about supplements though. I forgot about that other thread. =/

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Ok Shazkar, I'll try and answer your questions.

A) No, I wouldn't add anything. That's a pretty solid build up. You basically have three days of cardio and two of lifting, which is just fine. However, you said you don't really know what you're doing with lifting so I'll try and give you advice. Basically, there are two themes of lifting: Building Muscle Mass and Toning. Building Muscle Mass is doing less repetitions at a higher weight (so your arms feel very fatigued afterwards). Toning will just add shape and definition to what you have and you do many repetitions at lower weight. So do whatever it is you want you achieve. When you lift, try and rotate the muscles used. Do an arm, a leg, then an abdominal exercise and repeat. Finally, I don't suggest adding anything to your current schedule, I like to separate my lifting and running days so the emphasis is on one.

B) Don't drink / eat anything heavy right before working out. It'll make you sick as a dog. I generally have a protein shake in the morning.

My schedule is basically I run 5 miles on M, W, and Fr. Then I lift for 2 hours on Tuesday and Thursday, rotating arms - legs - abdomen. My goal is just to pretty much slim down. I'm not interested in being really muscular, just having a little more definition and getting rid of my abdomen. From what I know about Brazillian fighting it's got a pretty solid core work out - so you don't have to lift on those days. Similarly, I don't really have to work out my abdomen or legs when running, they will take care of themselves.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    WuckFarcraftWuckFarcraft Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Mix Whey Protein with a blender and mix it with milk.

If you want to gain mass, follow this routine.

http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=25

WuckFarcraft on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Ah, thanks for the advice. And boy do I know about B.. 2 weeks ago I ate dinner just an hour before BJJ, and I didn't stop training even though I felt like puking. Then my stomach owned me for the next 2 days straight.

Question about the rotation idea... do you mean work out like, do one type of arm exercise, 1 type of leg, 1 type of ab, and then a different type of arm, leg, ab, and so on? and do several sets at once?

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    ecchiecchi Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    MegaMan, you're really really wrong in a lot of ways. Both you and Shazkar should read the fitness thread.

ecchi on
  • Options
    TalTal Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Muscle milk is delicious. I usually mix some of that with water before bed. I think (and someone will probably correct me soon) the reason muscle milk isn't as good after a workout (I'm making an educated guess) is that it's a casein blend, right? And casein is absorbed more slowly so it's not ideal for post-workout when you want to absorb as much as you can during that ideal window? But better as a before bed snack to hold off the effects of catabolism a little longer?

American Whey is a good whey protein and I used to mix that into shakes in the morning as well as oatmeal for breakfast. Lately though I've switched over to Gold Standard 100% Whey mostly because the day I went to the supplement store they were out of AW.

My morning shake consists of :

1 cup milk / juice
    handful of rolled oats
    1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
    1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
    1 banana
    1 scoop whey
    handful frozen fruit

As far as your workout goes it seems like a well balanced schedule. Aerobic days mixed with weight training. As long as you're doing what you enjoy I'd just stick with it. Maybe a little more or less depending how you're feeling.

Tal on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    One thing I'm not sure of... is when I lift I basically wake up and hit the gym, so on that day should I have anything before I go, and then a whey shake after and then some muscle milk at night?
    Similar dilemma, but reversed, on BJJ days is that I finish BJJ and go to be an hr and a half later.. should I have some whey right after and some muscle milk before I sleep, or just one of the two? And still have a morning shake that day?

Have a morning shake and muscle milk at night every day (off days too?)

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    TalTal Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Definitely eat before you go. Make it a shake though so it's digested quicker. I'll take my shake in the morning, wait ~20 minutes and then go running without feeling sick at all.

As far as shake / muscle milk on off days, it's really just whatever you want to eat. Personally I'd rather make scambled eggs with ham and cheese and some toast, but I don't have time in the mornings to so I make a shake instead. Before bed muscle milk is just easy. They're only supplements so you shouldn't rely on them all the time. You'd be better off getting your protein from lean meats, but that's not always an option so then you turn to something else.

Tal on
  • Options
    ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I don't know if you're running and stuff too but if you drink a big shake wait a little while before you go running or something, if not you're likely to get side stitches like mad. You're stomach will be heavy and that puts a lot more strain on the ligaments that cause the pain side stitches cause.

Also, exhaling on your left foot step will help prevent them as well.

But that's really just if you're running too, but you mentioned drinking a shake before working out.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    don't lift weights longer than an hour. Anything more than that and you're venturing into over working out waters.

Also, There's a sticky at the top of the page for fitness stuff. I'm just saying, i dunno if this questions would be answered there or not.

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    WalterWalter Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    You know what? Get a trainer, a qualified one. Just go for 2 or 3 sessions and give them you're goals (get bigger, get leaner...whatever). Let them know you just want them to give you the basics and help you get started. Its well worth the money for a few sessions. If you are brand new to lifting, the school of hard knocks is not the way to go. There is so much more to it than just doing the exercises its crazy. 6 years of lifting and I'm still learning.

As for protein, its all good in my opinion. Just find one that tastes great. Be careful with muscle milk though, take a look at the fat content, its something like 18g/serving versus a normal shake's 2.5! 1 or 2 of those every day adds up and if you're looking to get leaner stay away. If you don't have a blender just find a cup with a twist on top, thats what I use and its a lot easier to clean and faster.

Don't worry about fish oil, if you're eating a balanced diet it is not worthing buying pills every month.

I am currently using a push/pull schedule for my workouts and I like it. Pushing motions on one day (chest, tris, and shoulders), pulling motions the next (back, biceps), then one day of legs.

Walter on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I have found in general.

Vanilla flavoured protein based foods taste like arse.

Chocolate flavoured protein based foods have palatable tastes.

Blake T on
  • Options
    KrikeeKrikee Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The reason your drink might taste like ass is because it is non-sweetened. The shakes that taste good and keep that low calorie profile use fake sugars (aspartame, sucralose off the top of my head).

Krikee on
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    If you want protein this is the best stuff out there:

Optimum 100% Whey Protein

It's pretty much the standard stuff that everyone uses, also the number 1 seller on the site. I'm going through a 5lb tub of Cookies and Cream.

The Muscle Milk recommendations above is also a pretty good one, some people don't like to use it as much because it has extra calories in there, but it does taste good.

In other news I just got my bench press up to 240 yesterday. I feel happy.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    why prtien = yogurt = fruits + blender = tasty

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    WuckFarcraftWuckFarcraft Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Lord Jezo wrote: »

"With extra hydro whey!"

Is this it's version of creatine or something? What makes it better then the regular Whey protein I ve been using?>

WuckFarcraft on
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Lord Jezo wrote: »

"With extra hydro whey!"

Is this it's version of creatine or something? What makes it better then the regular Whey protein I ve been using?>

No, it's just a fancy name on there, but the protein powder is some of the best. Compared to a lot of the other stuff out there this one packs the biggest bunch and is the healthiest one for you. No extra crap, not loaded with fat or other things you don't want, and keeps winning for best protein powder out there.

If the work out maniacs at bodybuilding.com like it then I will just jump on the bandwagon with them.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Hi Shazkar, I've been lifting for sometime and have extensive knowledge on protein. The main rule to gaining muscle with protein is to take in 1 gram pound per body weight. For example, I weigh 165 pounds so I have to take in 165 grams of protein per day. Thats a lot of protein! So you have to supplement by using protein powders.

First off, generic brands from GNC or Vitamin Shoppe taste awful. I found Optimum Nutrition's to taste great and mix very well with water. Plus it has Aminogen which will help your body absorb the protein better. Muscle Milk is great as well and is best to take a serving before bed as it's slow digesting.

When to take the protein is important. You'll want to have a fair amount of protein powder in the morning and following a work out since it's digest quickly. Some say to take protein before a work out but that can upset your stomach. And as I said in my last paragraph. Take a serving before bed too.

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    GlorfindelGlorfindel Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I have found Musashi or Body Science protein powders to be fairly good. Not sure if you get them over in the States though

Glorfindel on
  • Options
    PhilodoxPhilodox Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I was told to be wary of protein supplements that taste good because a lot of brands use sugar to improve the taste.

Philodox on
    That's a Freudian mansex if I ever cocked one.
    twinsbanneroq0.jpg