As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Finally a new [Android] Thread

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Yeah they added a bunch of QoL stuff to Chromecast a while back, it's just the bee's knee's right now.
    I'm kinda stunned at how amazing Chromecast is.

• bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Now if Youtube App was just more stable, the world would be truly wonderful.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Simpsonia wrote: »
    I wish I could just upgrade. Fortunately, and unfort kounatAs ely I'm am grandfathered into Verizon's unlimited data package. However, that means I cannot ever use an upgrade again, I'll have to pay full price for a phone. And even looking at Swappa, the S4 which is what a year old now is still going for a minimum of $300+.

Does that apply to buying a phone from Amazon too? They often have sales on phones for a penny that the carrier is selling for $50 or $100 after 'discount'.

I believe it would. I think Amazon just gets the VZ upgrade credit instead of the Vz store or independent dealer.

As for the chromecast talk. While I love mine, I I'd of wish I had waited for the roku stick that is coming out. Having a remote would really make things easier.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    I wish I could just upgrade. Fortunately, and unfort kounatAs ely I'm am grandfathered into Verizon's unlimited data package. However, that means I cannot ever use an upgrade again, I'll have to pay full price for a phone. And even looking at Swappa, the S4 which is what a year old now is still going for a minimum of $300+.

Does that apply to buying a phone from Amazon too? They often have sales on phones for a penny that the carrier is selling for $50 or $100 after 'discount'.

I believe it would. I think Amazon just gets the VZ upgrade credit instead of the Vz store or independent dealer.

As for the chromecast talk. While I love mine, I I'd of wish I had waited for the roku stick that is coming out. Having a remote would really make things easier.

Eh, I had a charge port die on a refurb phone recently and had to pay near-full boat on a Moto X, not that terrible. Moto G is much more reasonable.

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Yeah they added a bunch of QoL stuff to Chromecast a while back, it's just the bee's knee's right now.
    I'm kinda stunned at how amazing Chromecast is.

The only thing that kinda sucks is that they disabled playing video files from your computer directly in Chrome, but I'm using Plex Media Server which basically does that, so I can cast video files as well. I use the Chromecast a lot for Netflix and HBO Go. I also have speakers on my back patio wired into my house to my stereo, which receives audio from my TV, so when it starts to warm up I can cast my library from Google Play Music and listen to it outside. Best $35 I ever spent.

• Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    We have two, so I can always cast music in any major room.

It's been great for social events, or when I just want background while making dinner.

• SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    I wish I could just upgrade. Fortunately, and unfortunately I'm am grandfathered into Verizon's unlimited data package. However, that means I cannot ever use an upgrade again, I'll have to pay full price for a phone. And even looking at Swappa, the S4 which is what a year old now is still going for a minimum of $300+.

Yes, they connect to your carrier account to check if you are eligible for an upgrade. Those deals are usually only with a new contract. He'd have to buy off contract. My brother is in the same boat. He likes the data too much to give it up so he's going to buy off contract.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    SirToasty wrote: »
    I wish I could just upgrade. Fortunately, and unfortunately I'm am grandfathered into Verizon's unlimited data package. However, that means I cannot ever use an upgrade again, I'll have to pay full price for a phone. And even looking at Swappa, the S4 which is what a year old now is still going for a minimum of $300+.

Yes, they connect to your carrier account to check if you are eligible for an upgrade. Those deals are usually only with a new contract. He'd have to buy off contract. My brother is in the same boat. He likes the data too much to give it up so he's going to buy off contract.

That's lame.

• jjae2123jjae2123 Registered User regular
    So, Android Wear?

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Hey Moto X people, how do you make it stop 'breathing' and displaying the clock every minute if there are no notifications? My sister just got the Moto X but it flashes the clock every minute even with no notifications and she says it's distracting. I can't find anything via Google on how to make it stop.

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    The Moto X is sensitive to movement, so if she has it out on the table or desk and she's moving the display is going to turn on pretty much every minute. If she doesn't want to keep the phone in her pocket/purse/bag tell her to flip it over so the screen is facing down.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
    edited March 2014
    Screen facing down sort of defeats the purpose of having the active display for when there are actually notifications though.

So it's really sensitive enough to movement that if it's sitting on the table and people move around the room it will keep lighting up? What purpose does that serve?

Gaslight on
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    It's there for things like taking it out of your pocket and the screen is already on showing the time and notifications. I have mine in a dock at my desk at home and I've just gotten used to the screen occasionally turning on.

Unfortunately, there isn't any way to adjust the sensitivity that I know of. Maybe it's something Motorola will add in a future update.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
    Random thing but does anybody know if one of the eleventy billion shitty quotation apps out there has the ability to add quotes of your own, and also has a customizable widget?

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Okay, heres your chance to sell me people.

I'm posting this both in the istuff and the android thread.

I currently own a samsung Note phone(original). I have 45 days before my contract is up. I'm trying to decide my upgrade choice at that point.

My choices at this point are to go with the Note 3, or to switch from a phone to a pad/table, either an ipad or a variation of the samsung note tablet.

Given the small amount ive used my phone as a phone in the nearly 2 years of my contract, As long as skype will substitute in a pinch as a phone, I'm not worried about that feature. sure the idea of having something that fits in my pocket as opposed to something i have to keep glued to my hand is an attractive one, but thats why im here.

The thing thats going to sell me on this are the apps of course. My note has been decent, but ive found the main reason for having it has been mostly checking mail, facebook, bank stuff, browser and of course pixel dungeon. I've tried some of the more graphic heavy games but it gets very hot and frankly crashes alot. (Could not play Plants vs Zombies 2 on it without crashing).

The main app reason im considering an ipad is because of hearthstone, So I'd like some opinions on how games of similar quality run on the ipad and on the note tablets.

Battery life has also been subpar with the note. Even keeping it plugged in at work it burns through battery life at a very quick pace (and In fact the battery recently seems to have developed a bad cell. right now it could crash at any minute unless im plugged into a power source but ill put up with this until my contract goes out) I realize im dealing with what was essenitally first generation equipment, so feel free to give me your opinions on the current ipad/note3/note tablets battery power and how it deals with heat generation.

Thanks for your input. I hope to make an informed decision over the next month or so.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    Okay, heres your chance to sell me people.

I'm posting this both in the istuff and the android thread.

I currently own a samsung Note phone(original). I have 45 days before my contract is up. I'm trying to decide my upgrade choice at that point.

My choices at this point are to go with the Note 3, or to switch from a phone to a pad/table, either an ipad or a variation of the samsung note tablet.

Given the small amount ive used my phone as a phone in the nearly 2 years of my contract, As long as skype will substitute in a pinch as a phone, I'm not worried about that feature. sure the idea of having something that fits in my pocket as opposed to something i have to keep glued to my hand is an attractive one, but thats why im here.

The thing thats going to sell me on this are the apps of course. My note has been decent, but ive found the main reason for having it has been mostly checking mail, facebook, bank stuff, browser and of course pixel dungeon. I've tried some of the more graphic heavy games but it gets very hot and frankly crashes alot. (Could not play Plants vs Zombies 2 on it without crashing).

The main app reason im considering an ipad is because of hearthstone, So I'd like some opinions on how games of similar quality run on the ipad and on the note tablets.

Battery life has also been subpar with the note. Even keeping it plugged in at work it burns through battery life at a very quick pace (and In fact the battery recently seems to have developed a bad cell. right now it could crash at any minute unless im plugged into a power source but ill put up with this until my contract goes out) I realize im dealing with what was essenitally first generation equipment, so feel free to give me your opinions on the current ipad/note3/note tablets battery power and how it deals with heat generation.

Thanks for your input. I hope to make an informed decision over the next month or so.

The only question that I can think asking is how much did you use/enjoy the Pen on the note?

I frankly have not used the pen much. my handwriting has much to be desired, and once you put one of those gorilla glass covers on the note, the pen writes a bit strangely.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Kitkat leaked for Verizon's LG G2. Right now the only way to apply it is to restore to stock 12B and then manually push the update through ADB. I want kitkat, but I'm not sure I want it that much. On the other hand, I've rooted, so it's likely Verizon's OTA will reject the update like I've heard the other carriers have done with people who have rooted prior to the kitkat update.

Wait for the flashable zip, or just plain go for it? It's a tough call.
    I ordered one of those USB OTG cables so I can do a full nandroid to a thumbdrive (no removable storage) so I'm probably going to at least wait until that comes in before I attempt this. We'll see if someone makes a flashable zip by Wednesday. :D

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    I frankly have not used the pen much. my handwriting has much to be desired, and once you put one of those gorilla glass covers on the note, the pen writes a bit strangely.

Then I would look at the iPad as a tablet unless you want a specific feature?

Not specifically. I imagine that it comes down to two things...reliability and the different app stores having enough cool shit to entertain me.

Not specifically. I imagine that it comes down to two things...reliability and the different app stores having enough cool shit to entertain me.

I say this and I have used and owned many different Android Tablets (me + family), The Galaxy Note 10.1, The Xperia Tablet Z, The Galaxy Tab 3 8.0, the Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire HD plus a few no-name brands.

With the old Note 10.1 I have to admit that I found only its resolution and the fact that the wifi broke on mine after a major Android update was a bit of a letdown. Generally otherwise its very solid. The 2014 edition fixes a lot of these issues but from a few friends that have them does bring some newer ones to the table with performance issues on games/general usage and some weird UI choices.

The other end of the scale I loved the Xperia Tablet Z and only wished that its Screen was brighter and that it had a digitiser pen of some sort, which for me became to much of an issue for me to keep hold of it after using the Note for so long.

I have to say again that unless you want a specific feature or app from the device (NFC, Camera, Digitiser pen, Screen size etc.) then for purely specific Tablet made apps/games the iPad still is generally the eco system that is richest for everyone.

• bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    So apparently Chrome now has translate to emoji as Google's Android April fools day gag.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
    I wonder what it's like to work at Google and have one of your major projects for an entire year or a large part of one be the annual April Fools joke.

• DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    I'm going to go ahead and guess "amazing"

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I think we underestimate how easy it is for them to bust out stuff like that. In fact I wouldn't be surprised of there's an internal "competition" for this kind of stuff and they pick 1 or 2 off the heap every year.

Mugsley on
  • JibbaJibba Registered User regular
    So I bought an HTC One M8 and it's holyhell amazing.

Picking it up was the thing that sold me. I had a Galaxy Nexus before and I wanted a phone I could still type with on one hand. I didn't think this would be the phone because it's a 5" phone (and I couldn't do it on the previous Galaxy's, G2, etc.) I thought about the Moto X for a very long time, but I wanted something newer. Anyways, despite being wider than the GN, it's actually more comfortable to hold because of the curves.

In retrospect, the GN is a piece of shit so I shouldn't be surprised, but this is pretty fantastic in every way. After 12 hours at work/classes, it was only down to 49% battery (with app updating and lots of UI tinkering by me.) Sense 6 isn't too bad (definitely better than TouchWiz on my Note 8,) but I stuck Themer on it anyways to make it purrty. Also, it turns out my terrible reception was just a GN issue.

Jibba wrote: »
    So I bought an HTC One M8 and it's holyhell amazing.

Picking it up was the thing that sold me. I had a Galaxy Nexus before and I wanted a phone I could still type with on one hand. I didn't think this would be the phone because it's a 5" phone (and I couldn't do it on the previous Galaxy's, G2, etc.) I thought about the Moto X for a very long time, but I wanted something newer. Anyways, despite being wider than the GN, it's actually more comfortable to hold because of the curves.

In retrospect, the GN is a piece of shit so I shouldn't be surprised, but this is pretty fantastic in every way. After 12 hours at work/classes, it was only down to 49% battery (with app updating and lots of UI tinkering by me.) Sense 6 isn't too bad (definitely better than TouchWiz on my Note 8,) but I stuck Themer on it anyways to make it purrty. Also, it turns out my terrible reception was just a GN issue.

I was lucky to try out both the M8 and the Galaxy S5 the other day and I found the M8 was really amazing and was a great successor to the One. The S5 though I couldn't tell the difference between it and the S4. I mean at all. The weird rubber like texture on the back of the device and the magazine UI that crops up made me realise that it was an S5 but other than that, the performance was near identical.

Waiting on a city wage tax refund then I'll likely be jumping into a Nexus5 from an iPhone5. Unless anyone here can give me other suggestions. I'd rather buy the phone outright and my guess is the HTC is in the $750 range(?)

"Only" $600 actually, but the Nexus 5 is definitely your best bang for the buck if you're buying off-contract.

Note that the Nexus 5 doesn't work on all carriers (like Verizon).

Yep. I'm on ATT. I will likely stay with them when my contract is up (or buy out the contract early). I like the service, just don't want to be nailed down by a contract anymore.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Kitkat leaked for Verizon's LG G2. Right now the only way to apply it is to restore to stock 12B and then manually push the update through ADB. I want kitkat, but I'm not sure I want it that much. On the other hand, I've rooted, so it's likely Verizon's OTA will reject the update like I've heard the other carriers have done with people who have rooted prior to the kitkat update.

Wait for the flashable zip, or just plain go for it? It's a tough call.
    I ordered one of those USB OTG cables so I can do a full nandroid to a thumbdrive (no removable storage) so I'm probably going to at least wait until that comes in before I attempt this. We'll see if someone makes a flashable zip by Wednesday. :D

Update: USB OTG cables are awesome. It adds yet another great way to copy things off my phone like Titanium backups and such.
    I nearly bricked my phone when I didn't follow the directions properly on restoring my phone to stock. Then, turns out I had to do things a bit differently anyway than the instructions. I freaked out for about 2 hours (that includes an hour eating lunch) until I found a post that gave me the correct ADB command to stop the update that was forcing me into a recovery loop.
    Then, I got it working and did it correctly this time, and now I'm running Kitkat. It's so awesome.

The only thing that I miss is apparently Auto Hide Soft Keys is currently broken (kinda) in KitKat. It used to disable this curved menu that appears when you slide up from the bottom (has voice command, Google, and QuickNote) as well as the soft keys, but now it only disables the soft keys. But when you try and hit the trigger to bring them back when you need them, the curved slide menu appears instead. So I need to figure that out still. If I can get that disabled, then it might work properly.

edit: Found an xposed module that hides the navigation ring and nav bar, now I can use the auto hide soft keys app again. Yay!

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    For those of you that might be like me and have embraced Amazon for your base content needs the new Fire TV is, simply put, amazing. I personally have not had an issue with anything on the device but I can see why some might have issues with the interface. After a few days using the device it is a non issue for me anymore. Voice search just works, for amazon only content but that is to be expected, and the device gets a stream up and running in HD 1080p faster than anything I have used (Roku 3, chromecast, Apple TV and even the PS4 IMHO).

It is worth a look in the very least. I was waiting on the next gen of Roku but I am just so happy with the Fire TV.

On the phone front: I have been researching out the LG vs HTC vs Samsung new gen but sadly the rural area I live in the ATT store does not have floor models. From what I can tell the only real difference between these newest gen phones are the flashy functionality aspects of it. Is this true for the most part? Because if so I might just get away from Samsung this time and go with the HTC as I do not know what to think about the curved screen of the LG and the S5 appears to be S4.5.

Jubal77 on
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    For those of you that might be like me and have embraced Amazon for your base content needs the new Fire TV is, simply put, amazing. I personally have not had an issue with anything on the device but I can see why some might have issues with the interface. After a few days using the device it is a non issue for me anymore. Voice search just works, for amazon only content but that is to be expected, and the device gets a stream up and running in HD 1080p faster than anything I have used (Roku 3, chromecast, Apple TV and even the PS4 IMHO).

It is worth a look in the very least. I was waiting on the next gen of Roku but I am just so happy with the Fire TV.

On the phone front: I have been researching out the LG vs HTC vs Samsung new gen but sadly the rural area I live in the ATT store does not have floor models. From what I can tell the only real difference between these newest gen phones are the flashy functionality aspects of it. Is this true for the most part? Because if so I might just get away from Samsung this time and go with the HTC as I do not know what to think about the curved screen of the LG and the S5 appears to be S4.5.

The S5 is supposed to be a back to basics and not having all the software gimmicks the S4 was littered with. However from having a good play around its basically the S4 in terms of looks and feel. The weird plastic rubber textured back feels horrible and looks like it will break in seconds. In actual terms of the speed and specs of the phone are pretty solid and work really well if you are jumping from say an S3, but considering the S4 is at such a low price I don't think the upgrade is worth it.

The One M8 feels really excellent and more refined than the original One in looks. It thankfully finally has a micro SD card slot now and the metal finish seems feel a bit better than the original. You can tell the difference in looks, however like the S5 doesn't feel that much of a jump from the One. My other complaint with the M8 is that like the One before it the battery capacity seems really low with the One this became a problem with battery really draining after a short while.

I managed to borrow the LG G Flex for a week and must say while the curved OLED screen is excellent the phone itself felt really cheap for what is supposed to be ultra high end device, and didn't flex nearly as much as I was expecting from preview videos. The self healing plastic was pretty cool though.

The Z2 is the only phone I haven't managed to get an extensive week with and to be honest while the specs seem excellent its been like what? 4/5 months since the Z1 and them specs aren't that far away from what we are seeing here.

Overall for me this years crop of Android phones are quite poor. I was expecting smaller phone updates but it seems like all companies are trying to force this idea of cutting 6 month cycles for flagship phones to an even shorter time to fit more models into the lineup.

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Thank you for the response. I am upgrading from an S2 so my current phone specs are pretty ancient by todays standards. Problem is you bring up more issues than I had before. I am not thinking I need to take a trip in order to get my hands on each and to see. I might just go with the S5 as my Samsung has been nothing but great. For an aged phone it still runs very well. I just watched the demo of the cover for the M8 and the simplicity of the phone looked great. But if the battery life is that horrid I am unsure. Same with the S5. I watched the demo for it but it didnt look taht much different than the S4. Thanks for the hands on opinion that is just was I was looking for.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    The S5 is a top-tier handset. It's just not a huge step up from an S4, which in turn wasn't a particularly big jump from the S3.

It was like

S1
    whoa damn this shit is cray
    S2
    hey wow phones can do some really awesome shit these days
    S3
    hmm, okay, better then before
    S4
    alright then, that's different
    S5

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    I'm tempted to pick up an S5 for work, since I've got a free phone refresh. It'd probably be wasted on me, since I'd only ever use it for e-mail and the occasional call, but it'd be NOT my current work iPhone 4s.

Our IT didn't allow android at the time.

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    If nothing else, the S5 gets way better battery life than the S4. I'd personally get something else, but it's a perfectly fine upgrade.

Yeah, especially if you cut out some of the Samsung stuff you're never going to use, it get's amazing battery life.

Though the Note series is better on battery life if that's something that seriously matters to you.

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    I'd love a Note. I'd use it to take notes!

But the company won't re-imburse it, and I'm not buying it out of pocket, lol.

Why the fuck would they pay for an S5 but not a Note 3

This discussion has been closed.