As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Finally a new [Android] Thread

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    I've been mulling the new Moto X vs Nexus 5 and just buying it straight from either motorola or google. I really want to not have to deal with carrier crap all over my phone, and I don't feel confident enough with my technical skills to put a custom rom (that's what they are called, right?) onto my phone. Probably cost me a lot more without the two year contract, but it'll probably last me a good three or four years. Especially is updates are timely.

New Moto X has a "pure" edition that is straight Android with no crap I believe.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular
    Well, the pure is still the moto x, I mean I've heard it's not exactly stock android. But it does avoid all of the crap the carriers put on the phones. I am just going to have to deal with continuing to ignore all the AT&T junk (saw a screenshot that it was 8 apps, all useless).

Speaking of which I got an email from Motorola this morning that they are building my phone. Now I have to wonder every day why it isn't the 26th yet.

v2zAToe.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Anybody else not getting any notifications for Hangouts messages (SMS or Hangouts) since the most recent update?

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    I'm getting them just fine.

• Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Anybody else not getting any notifications for Hangouts messages (SMS or Hangouts) since the most recent update?

My girlfriend's had this problem, although I haven't noticed for me.

工事中
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    So youre able to preorder the Note 4 on most carriers now (I think Sprint is the lone holdout), but as it stands I'm not sure if Im going to make the jump. I see no real reason to preorder and the phones not out for another month so I definitely have time to make up my mind, but I want to know 1) what the rom support is going to be like post launch and 2) how big an impact being a 32bit phone is going to be. I assume Android L is out and since its launching right around the Note 4's release that kinda puts a damper on the phone.

• Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    So youre able to preorder the Note 4 on most carriers now (I think Sprint is the lone holdout), but as it stands I'm not sure if Im going to make the jump. I see no real reason to preorder and the phones not out for another month so I definitely have time to make up my mind, but I want to know 1) what the rom support is going to be like post launch and 2) how big an impact being a 32bit phone is going to be. I assume Android L is out and since its launching right around the Note 4's release that kinda puts a damper on the phone.

I think 32 bit will become a minor issue for the phone 12-18 months down the line.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Anyone know the secret to getting out of group messages you don't want to be a part of anymore? I'm using Textra.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Ziggymon wrote: »

I think 32 bit will become a minor issue for the phone 12-18 months down the line.

does it even have any real world application if you don't have 4gb ram or more? practically, I mean?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular

does it even have any real world application if you don't have 4gb ram or more? practically, I mean?

It does when people start writing applications to use 64-bit.

Which, since you can get better efficiency with 64-bit which leads to better battery life, means that hopefully that transition will happen a lot faster with phones than desktops.

• Options
    Delmain wrote: »

It does when people start writing applications to use 64-bit.

Which, since you can get better efficiency with 64-bit which leads to better battery life, means that hopefully that transition will happen a lot faster with phones than desktops.

The 4GB thing is a bit of a myth based on the fact that when windows decided to go 64bit, it was a mess for optimisation and required a huge amount of power and ram.

64 bit will have its usefulness down the line but as said until all major apps start really requiring it and not just supporting it I believe most people will be fine for now.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    The 4gb thing is totally not a "myth", what are you talking about?

32bit of adress space = 2^32 = 4GB of adress space, without additional tricks.

for android phones it's a long way down the line until it's in any way mandatory, since you have basically all of android history so far running on not-64 bit processors..

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    something completely different, I updatet my rooted (towelroot) xperia z1 from 4.4.2 to 4.4.4 oder the air and it WORKED and retained root!

cool thing there, sony

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    The 4gb thing is totally not a "myth", what are you talking about?

32bit of adress space = 2^32 = 4GB of adress space, without additional tricks.

for android phones it's a long way down the line until it's in any way mandatory, since you have basically all of android history so far running on not-64 bit processors..

Sorry, I was trying to say that the 'myth' is that 64bit needs 4GB ram to run effectively. Most other OS's for every general purpose task can run 64 bit processes on just 2GB ram. In fact until things like email clients, web browsers and word processing software need to use 4 GB or more Ram (which will happen but not for a long time yet) 64 bit most obvious advantages are a bit redundant for the average user.

The big advantage for phones right now isn't the 64bit at all but the ARMv8 architecture that the iPhones from the 5S are using and that all the major chip manufactures are adopting over the next few years. With the v8 having nearly double the registers to access data on the chip fast and doesn't need to keep cycling data through the chip to swap things in and out of the memory. It's better encryption processes should be able to send secure data faster and without as much use of battery life.

If you look at the most intensive processes on Android phones right now (4K video recording) only needs 2GB ram including the OS, most of the latest phones that record 4K use 3GB Ram for performance optimisation. I suppose once we need to have standard playback of media in 4K on smartphones we will need 4GB+ Ram.

• Options
    Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    So my HTC One S on T-Mobile is paid of this month. I haven't really stayed current with phones because that just makes me want to spend money that I don't have. What are everyone's thoughts on the current Android offerings on T-Mobile? I'm not in a rush to buy a new phone... anything especially awesome likely to be available in the near future? The camera on my phone was mostly well liked at the time I got it, but really, it kind of blows compared to my wife's iPhone... I'd love to get a better camera (it's 2 years later, I suspect almost all of them are better).

• Options
    Are the Moto G's still the cheapest, good Android phone (off-contract price)?

My mom and dad keep complaining about how awful their phones are. My mom's using a Galaxy S II, and my dad is using an old iPhone 3GS.

Ugh

• Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular

My mom and dad keep complaining about how awful their phones are. My mom's using a Galaxy S II, and my dad is using an old iPhone 3GS.

Ugh

Probably. The newly announced one is $180 off-contract.

Otherwise, there's Amazon's Fire phone if they don't mind being tied into Amazon's services instead of Google's. Haven't actually used it myself, though.

工事中
  • Options
    Cokebotle wrote: »

Ugh

Probably. The newly announced one is $180 off-contract.

Otherwise, there's Amazon's Fire phone if they don't mind being tied into Amazon's services instead of Google's. Haven't actually used it myself, though.

haaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahaha

No, uh, no thank you.

But yeah, the $180 price point is still pretty solid.

I would regret not having 4G, but I don't know if my parents would.

• Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    There is an LTE version of the first gen Moto G available, though I don't know what the US pricing is (not being in the US myself). The LTE version does also have expandable storage.

• Options
    Ehhhhh

Starting at $220 for last year's model. I might've been willing to pay the $40 for this year's model with 4G, definitely not for last year's.

Didn't know that existed though, thanks.

• Options
    That sure is weird pricing. I don't blame you. Might as well get the current one.

• Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    I know this is a long shot, but does anyone know how to make the new Verizon phones, more specifically the G3, force LTE off and into 3G/CDMA only mode? I've searched Google far and wide, and I can't find anything. I work in a high rise as a contractor, the company's provider is Verizon, so there is so much signal noise, that even though I get a full 3 bars I cannot get any data service whatsoever, and because I'm a contractor I they won't let me on to WiFi (sensitive network). With my old Galaxy Nexus, I had this option, and to be honest I switch my sim cards out at work just so I can receive my emails and check things on the web, but that kind of defeats the purpose of buying a new phone...

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Jimmy King wrote: »
    So my HTC One S on T-Mobile is paid of this month. I haven't really stayed current with phones because that just makes me want to spend money that I don't have. What are everyone's thoughts on the current Android offerings on T-Mobile? I'm not in a rush to buy a new phone... anything especially awesome likely to be available in the near future? The camera on my phone was mostly well liked at the time I got it, but really, it kind of blows compared to my wife's iPhone... I'd love to get a better camera (it's 2 years later, I suspect almost all of them are better).

i wonder this as well since i cracked the screen on my phone along with general slow down.

seems like the nexus 5 vs One M8 vs S5 vs maybe Oneplus
    though i worry about jumping into somethign now since it seems like new stuff is around the corner

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Simpsonia wrote: »
    I know this is a long shot, but does anyone know how to make the new Verizon phones, more specifically the G3, force LTE off and into 3G/CDMA only mode? I've searched Google far and wide, and I can't find anything. I work in a high rise as a contractor, the company's provider is Verizon, so there is so much signal noise, that even though I get a full 3 bars I cannot get any data service whatsoever, and because I'm a contractor I they won't let me on to WiFi (sensitive network). With my old Galaxy Nexus, I had this option, and to be honest I switch my sim cards out at work just so I can receive my emails and check things on the web, but that kind of defeats the purpose of buying a new phone...

I use a custom rom, so I don't know if it's because of that, but try going into Settings, then Mobile Networks, and see if you can select preferred type there.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

I use a custom rom, so I don't know if it's because of that, but try going into Settings, then Mobile Networks, and see if you can select preferred type there.

Yeah you wont be able to do this with a carrier stock phone anymore, especially on Verizon

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014

In theory, there might be a new Nexus phone next month. If you're looking for value-for-money, they're usually unbeatable...though if recent history is an indication they won't be easily available until November. And you'll want to order straight from Google because the carriers like to charge ~$50 more for it.

Other good options are the HTC One M8 and the new Moto X.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    Regarding the custom ROM, are they easy to install? And more importantly, can I retain the LG specific features like knock code wakeup?

• Options
    a5ehren wrote: »

In theory, there might be a new Nexus phone next month. If you're looking for value-for-money, they're usually unbeatable...though if recent history is an indication they won't be easily available until November. And you'll want to order straight from Google because the carriers like to charge ~$50 more for it.

Cool, definitely plan on waiting at least a month here. The One M8 was on my radar - I've had HTC phones for years and have mostly been happy with them. A friend's wife has the One M8 and he says he wishes he had gotten that instead of a Note. A friend of mine got an invite for a OnePlus One and is impressed with it so far, so I've got first crack at any invites he receives to give out. Both of those are discoveries I made after asking in here.

Does the HTC M8 force you to use the shitty HTC software to get the photos and videos off of the phone? My way old G1 did not and my One S did not when I first got it, but at some point in 2013 an update was pushed out which forced the use of their terrible software to get at photos, videos, music, etc.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    you can get the google edition of the one M8 on google play which has minimal carrier stuff on it, but it isn't as cheap

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

Cool, definitely plan on waiting at least a month here. The One M8 was on my radar - I've had HTC phones for years and have mostly been happy with them. A friend's wife has the One M8 and he says he wishes he had gotten that instead of a Note. A friend of mine got an invite for a OnePlus One and is impressed with it so far, so I've got first crack at any invites he receives to give out. Both of those are discoveries I made after asking in here.

Does the HTC M8 force you to use the shitty HTC software to get the photos and videos off of the phone? My way old G1 did not and my One S did not when I first got it, but at some point in 2013 an update was pushed out which forced the use of their terrible software to get at photos, videos, music, etc.

I'm fairly certain you can plug in via usb and navigate through the file system to any media you take, but I haven't tried to take videos off the phone yet just pictures.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Naphtali wrote: »

I'm fairly certain you can plug in via usb and navigate through the file system to any media you take, but I haven't tried to take videos off the phone yet just pictures.

I'll have to check with my friend who's wife has one. They're in UK and I'm in US, though, so it's possible it's different anyway. On my One S I can navigate some of the storage as a mounted drive, but not everything, with the way it's set up now. I think something along the lines of I can access the main system storage but not the "sdcard" (which is physically permanently mounted).

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular

Considering I've been digging into finances a lot lately, why not keep using it now that it's paid off? A new phone just means another 1-2 years of payments, unless you're buying it outright.

• Options
    Naphtali wrote: »

I know the M7 was pretty much this for both photos and videos. I'd presume the M8 would be the same.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Regarding the custom ROM, are they easy to install? And more importantly, can I retain the LG specific features like knock code wakeup?

It really depends on the phone. I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 and thought it was fairly easy, but it seems to get a little harder each generation, requiring more hoops to jump through, and there's always the risk of bricking your phone. The biggest step is usually getting a custom bootloader installed, but after that the risk of your phone becoming completely unrecoverable is greatly reduced since you can make a NAND backup at that point.

I've found the forums at androidforums.com really helpful for everything related to custom software, but that will probably depend on the regulars of your particular subforum.

As far as specific features, it just depends on if someone decided to code something like it. Typically I've found the best features of particular phones are tinkered with, but it's no guarantee. You can always just look around at what custom roms are popular for your phone and see what they have available as features.

• Options
    @Simpsonia‌

Dial:

*#*#INFO#*#*

This should bring up a menu with all sorts of sweet options, including setting your preferred network type to CDMA only.

• Options

The
    Houn wrote: »
    @Simpsonia‌

Dial:

*#*#INFO#*#*

This should bring up a menu with all sorts of sweet options, including setting your preferred network type to CDMA only.

Unfortunately, that's disabled on Verizon phones. I think my only option is figuring out how to do a custom rom. But it's gotta be easier than constantly six card swapping to my old phone whenever I get to and leave work every day.

• Options
    Eh, it was worth a shot.

Looking around, I'm not seeing much about custom ROMs for the LG G3; too new, probably.

• Options
    AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    Posted this over on SE++, I have a spare invite if anyone was interested in buying the one from Oneplus. You get 24hrs to pull the trigger once it has been sent.

PM with your email if you would like it, I'll shoot it over to the first person to, tonight.

• Options
    mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular
    Got my Moto X today. I think I like it so far. I've decided with this one I'm just going to connect all of my everything and try to really go for the convenience factor, so I can now get texts on my computer via a chrome extension and I'm trying to figure out what the voice commands can and can't do - for example, I just had it show me listings for Denny's near my city, but then I couldn't figure out how to tell it to call the first option it gives without having to touch the phone.

oh and I'm so sad that apparently it's not standard for the calculator app to show me the last few entries. My old calculator on the S3 had an option where I could swipe down and it would show me the history. This calculator doesn't. I need this. I guess I'll have to look for a new calc app.

Any recommendations on new interesting apps? I have been using handcent for a long time, should I be looking at something else? My phone has seriously been stagnant for probably a year.

v2zAToe.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Maybe not new but still noteworthy are Talon for Twitter, Press for RSS feeds, Sunrise for Calendar, Muzei for wallpapers, Pocketcasts is still a fantastic podcast app, Hello for texting, and Accuweather and Yahoo Weather are both great weather apps, Battery Widget for a very nice battery percentage icon, and DashClock is a fantastic lock screen app.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
This discussion has been closed.