As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Finally a new [Android] Thread

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    I wonder if they just think that they got enough people to be fans of pure Android that now they don't need to take a loss on hardware to keep people around.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »
    I wonder if they just think that they got enough people to be fans of pure Android that now they don't need to take a loss on hardware to keep people around.

That's my guess as well. I think the 6" size is a misstep, though. If I had to buy a phone this fall, I'd probably be getting the Z3 Compact.

• Options
    I am a huge fan of the Nexus 5's screen size.

If they pull a Nexus 7 and release a Nexus 5 (2014) or something, I'd probably pick it up. Otherwise, yeah, probably going to go Sony.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Moto Xxxxxxxx...

• Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    I am a huge fan of the Nexus 5's screen size.

If they pull a Nexus 7 and release a Nexus 5 (2014) or something, I'd probably pick it up. Otherwise, yeah, probably going to go Sony.

I have a feeling if sales of the 6 are low (which going off what general consumer reactions could well be the case) then they might, however there would be little difference between it and the new Moto X, which could be the deciding factor. However, I could presume Google could have some ideas to differentiate the 2 handsets.

It is strange though that google hasn't adopted the same approach that Sony and lately Apple have been so successful with providing 2 sized handsets to reflect the demand for smaller handsets.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Is there an offline navigation as nice as here maps for android?

Osmand has pretty poor performance and a totally shitty interface

Apparently, there's a beta of nokia's here maps for android.

And it's glorious

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    OsmAnd has gotten a lot better in recent editions. Even fixed my voice nav bugs in Australia.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Sup Android thread

I'm planning to move real soon, and in this exercise in life-altering decisions, I decided now is a probably a good time as any to get with the year two-thousand-and-fourteen after an uncountable amount of time with this old-ass, but trusty and reliable, dumbphone. Help me not be dumb about this smartphone shit.
    • I'm on t-mobile right now, and am eying their $45 prepaid plan. 2GB seems like enough for what I'm going to use, but then again this is conjecture. Going on-contract is something I'm not terribly keen on doing.
    • Looking at the Nexus 5. Good idea right now with a new Google phone coming down the pipe? I heard that thing is going to be 6" which sounds ridiculous.

good ideas y/n.

Late: the N5 still has lower end battery life, but Lollipop is "supposed" to help with that. It's pretty much the perfect size for me; which has me worried about when I decide to replace it.

T-mo has some very good non-contract plans and have recently added WiFi calling. In fact I'm trying to figure out how I can give it a run before moving the wife over. I've never used them and my brother had them nearly a decade ago.

• Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    I've had a look around but there doesn't seem a quick fix to blocking calls from specified numbers on the N5 / 4.4.4, without some sort of voicemail trick or an app. Any ideas?

Failing that, any recommendations for specific apps to block? I've been getting half a dozen calls a day from the same scammy call centre and its clear they cannot be reasoned with

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Sup Android thread

I'm planning to move real soon, and in this exercise in life-altering decisions, I decided now is a probably a good time as any to get with the year two-thousand-and-fourteen after an uncountable amount of time with this old-ass, but trusty and reliable, dumbphone. Help me not be dumb about this smartphone shit.
    • I'm on t-mobile right now, and am eying their $45 prepaid plan. 2GB seems like enough for what I'm going to use, but then again this is conjecture. Going on-contract is something I'm not terribly keen on doing.
    • Looking at the Nexus 5. Good idea right now with a new Google phone coming down the pipe? I heard that thing is going to be 6" which sounds ridiculous.

good ideas y/n.

Late: the N5 still has lower end battery life, but Lollipop is "supposed" to help with that. It's pretty much the perfect size for me; which has me worried about when I decide to replace it.

T-mo has some very good non-contract plans and have recently added WiFi calling. In fact I'm trying to figure out how I can give it a run before moving the wife over. I've never used them and my brother had them nearly a decade ago.

Just a note, T-mobile doesn't allow wifi calling on any non-branded device currently. That means anything that doesn't specifically have their name on. Even if they sell a version, you have to use one from them. This means it doesn't work with any of the Nexus devices. There will apparently be an update in early 2015 to enable it on the Nexus 6, sometime after the Lolipop rollout. No word how or if this will be compatible with either the 4 or the 5.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    So what are the odds the Galaxy S4 will be getting lollipop? At this point I am no longer under any kind of warranty and I have my phone rooted. I kind of want to install a custom ROM just for the hell of it but if lollipop is likely to come to it I will wait.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    A lollipop based custom rom? Highly likely

• Options
    Sup Android thread

Just a note, T-mobile doesn't allow wifi calling on any non-branded device currently. That means anything that doesn't specifically have their name on. Even if they sell a version, you have to use one from them. This means it doesn't work with any of the Nexus devices. There will apparently be an update in early 2015 to enable it on the Nexus 6, sometime after the Lolipop rollout. No word how or if this will be compatible with either the 4 or the 5.

Mother of fuck.

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Kalkino wrote: »
    I've had a look around but there doesn't seem a quick fix to blocking calls from specified numbers on the N5 / 4.4.4, without some sort of voicemail trick or an app. Any ideas?

Failing that, any recommendations for specific apps to block? I've been getting half a dozen calls a day from the same scammy call centre and its clear they cannot be reasoned with

I used to use YouMail a few years ago and it was pretty good at dropping people, etc based on the number.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    For some reason my quick camera isn't working on my moto x. It worked when I first got it but I accidentally turned it off checking out what it's button was, and it seems to be permanently off despite it saying it's on

Edit nvm, I got it working again. Either I was twisting wrong or it needed a reminder that I set it up again

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Ok guys, my googlefu has utterly failed me and I need help.
    I have integrated my Sprint number on my S5 with Google Voice and Hangouts. So now I have the case where every SMS/MMS and voicemail is fowarded to my email. I do not want this. Does anyone know how to turn this off?
    If this is to much google instead of android, my bad.
    Thanks.

• Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    I believe you should be able to log into voice.google.com and fix that in the settings. There's options in there to forward stuff to your email. Just uncheck it.

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    So what are the odds the Galaxy S4 will be getting lollipop? At this point I am no longer under any kind of warranty and I have my phone rooted. I kind of want to install a custom ROM just for the hell of it but if lollipop is likely to come to it I will wait.

Good I would think but it'll take some time. I heard somewhere that Samsung provided a rough estimate of 90 days from Lollipop's release which would probably be for the S5 and Note 4. I don't know how different Touch Wiz is between those and and S4/Note 3 but it could be later for those. Then Verizon will probably be the last to roll out updates as usual.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Gotten my Note 4 earlier today and I'm here to confirm that it's an amazing fucking phone.

That whole #gapgate thing awhile back was complete bullshit. There's no gap on my phone what so ever.

• Options
    Just installed inbox by Google.

• Options
    You should totally send me an invite if you get one.

• Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Check the appstore, I don't think you need an invite.

*EDIT*

Ah, anybody can download it but you need an invite to use it. I figured it wouldn't even be on the store if you needed an invite. Shame.

iguanacus on
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    You do need an invite. You can install the app, but you can't use it unless your account is flagged for access.

• Options
    just send an email through gmail to inbox@google.com for an invite

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    You don't get it quickly. I sent an email like 30 minutes after the announcement and haven't gotten anything.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    What is inbox by Google?

• Options
    emp123 wrote: »
    What is inbox by Google?

basically its gmail now. more oganization for gmail with a lot more integration to other stuff

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    An I the only one that doesn't see a need for it? More than likely it's just me since I have setup rules and labels for everything.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    An I the only one that doesn't see a need for it? More than likely it's just me since I have setup rules and labels for everything.

i feel like its going to be a thing that everyone will hate at first but then love. like how the tabbed inbox came and people flipped their shit. i love that so much now

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    You should totally send me an invite if you get one.

Haven't got any as yet sorry, but I'll check in here if I do. My friend just got an invite too. So I think you'll likely get one sooner rather than later

• Options
    I'm enjoying CloudMagic for mail. Swipe for sub-menu is a nice feature

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    Crap. I'm not sure what to do. My wife is no Android fangirl by any stretch. She doesn't need her phone to do anything too fancy beyond be a phone, stream netflix, take pictures and browse the internet. She has kind of tasked me with buying her a new phone. She is tempted to go with an iphone but she feels like she would just need to relearn how to do everything. She is currently using a Galaxy Nexus and it is a piece of junk now.

I was suggesting a Nexus 5 off-contract since then she doesn't have to pay about $70 to get out of her current contract. But now I see the pre-order window for the Oneplus One is open for another hour. Is it wrong to get her a Oneplus One? I'm thinking of pre-ordering it while the window is open because it looks like you can cancel it right up until it ships. Do people in this thread with a 1+1 have any thoughts? Have you ever tried to take pictures of small children which is usually the thing that frustrates her the most right now?

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    Call Blacklist seems to be working. Blocks calls and I don't see the call until an alert pops up. Which is useful, as this Indian call centre is desperate to assist me in making a non existent personal injury claim in the UK, 5 call already today.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    If she can charge her N5 regularly, it really is a solid phone. That being said, I've been debating recommending the 1+1 to my brother

Mugsley on
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    Battery life is an issue on the N5? I should probably look that up. Her biggest issue right now is that the battery on her phone doesn't last the workday and she barely uses it.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    I charge my phone every night, but I've only ever had a problem with it dying early at like, PAX where I'm on it for like 12 hours continuously for directions or looking things up or calling/texting people to organize things. Day-to-day, I'm never below 40% when I drop it on the wireless charger at night.

• Options
    other option might be the moto x, can buy it off contract via motomaker, but its more money than oneplus,

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I've been getting this issue on my N5 (non rooted) for the past 2-3 weeks. When I go to make a call, the phone hangs up when the recipient answers. This happens for both landlines and cell phones.

I haven't had the issue (yet) when receiving calls.

Mugsley on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I'm thinking a Note 4 would be a nice phone to have.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    I'm thinking a Note 4 would be a nice phone to have.

It's pretty nice. If you are a Verizon customer and plan on using a case just beware that one of the microphones was moved and that created some compatibility issues with a number of cases.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
This discussion has been closed.