As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Canadian Politics: The North shall rise again?

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Sure, they can do that.

But basically it looks even worse if Prentice were to do that, so I don't think he will.

It's pretty predictable that what we'll see is another round of brutal cuts to government services if the price slump goes on for any duration.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    CorporateGoonCorporateGoon Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    Sure, they can do that.

But basically it looks even worse if Prentice were to do that, so I don't think he will.

It's pretty predictable that what we'll see is another round of brutal cuts to government services if the price slump goes on for any duration.

There's no real reason for him not to repeal it. It's not like there's an opposition party of any significance at the moment. That doesn't mean that he will, but I'm pretty sure he could do it and still win a substantial majority in the next election.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    There's no justification for Target US's President and CFO to keep their jobs. Lose 1.5 billion over two years, and I could easily see that ballooning to at least 3 billion mainly because they still have all the leases for all of their facilities.
    Can you think of anyone who would take those leases on? Zellers is poof, and one of the main reasons is because in general their locations were shite, Sears and the Bay probably already have locations at almost every ex-target location, same with hardware stores and Canadian tire and most grocery stores.
    The only company I could see taking on any ex-target leases would be maybe if Costco wanted smaller stores for smaller population areas which may not support a full sized costco (like PEI), but in general target stores would be way too small for costco.

Unless another company from the States or another country want to move into Canada (hah!), Target's going to be paying for those leases until their completions.

There was literally not a single thing Target did right in coming to Canada.

Psykoma on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    There's no justification for Target US's President and CFO to keep their jobs.

Not only are they going to keep their jobs, they're probably going to receive multi-million-dollar bonuses for their performance at the end of the year.

sig.gif
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »

Not only are they going to keep their jobs, they're probably going to receive multi-million-dollar bonuses for their performance at the end of the year.

Ultimately they are saving Target billions by not continuing to lose money everyday! Why wouldn't they get a big bonus for un-screwing up their own error?

• Options
    Target anecdote time! The Target nearest me was one that opened in the initial wave and to this day, when you walk in, the whole store still has this weird smell that the Zellers never used to have. It smells like the store was just recently renovated or painted or something. At first I thought it smelled like that just because it recently was renovated and painted, but when I went in before Christmas for a few small things, it still had that weird funk inside it.

No other store at the mall smelled funny like Target did.

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    quovadis13 wrote: »

Ultimately they are saving Target billions by not continuing to lose money everyday! Why wouldn't they get a big bonus for un-screwing up their own error?

I remember reading an article a month or three ago that the guys in charge of the Canadian operation got the boot. I'm not a shareholder so I don't care what happens to the guys at the top, the investors can scream for blood all they want.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Sony Stores in Canada closing as well isn't nearly as big a hit (I think the article said around 100 employees?), but all the same, there's been a bunch of shops shutting down recently and in the near future. Brands in trouble, shutting their doors, etc.

Anecdotal as shit, but there's a lot of hoarding up around the mall near work.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I was always surprised Sony Stores existed.

Just ... why?

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    well where else are you suppose to buy.... um... playstation 4s?

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    There's a weird thing about Sony Store and Blockbuster where, when they closed their Canadian stores, both were actually doing well in Canada. In both of those cases, the US divisions were struggling a bit, and so they closed the still profitable Canadian branches to focus on reviving the US stores.
    It's a bit insulting really in how clearly it shows their priorities.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Sony Stores and Target. Also Mexx, and another clothing chain I forget. And oil, which the Harper government gambled our entire national economy on, is in freefall. As is the value of our dollar.

In completely unrelated news, the Harper government has decided to push back announcing its budget previsions for a few months. But don't worry, everything is going well and we'll hit zero deficit this year and Trudeau is totally not ready to lead.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    I was always surprised Sony Stores existed.

Just ... why?

So you could browse stuff before ordering it online?

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    VanderbrentVanderbrent Registered User regular
    looks like the RCMP got he right to unionize, because for some reason they didn't have it before:

RCMP officers have right to collective bargaining, Supreme Court rules
    In a 6-1 decision, the Supreme Court of Canada has struck down a law that specifically forbade the Mounties from unionizing, saying it violated their charter rights to freedom of association.

The court, however, said forming a traditional union is one option that would restore their collective bargaining rights, but not the only option.

The RCMP has been specifically barred from forming a union since the 1960s, when other federal public servants gained the right to collective bargaining. It's the only police force in Canada with such a restriction.

While I don't necessarily like police unions (like for example the NYC one who are acting like douches), the RCMP really should be able top unionize if it wants to. Kind of weird it couldn't before.

• Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015

This isn't the place for corporate-related talk, but the Target CEO/President who sponsored the expansion up here actually did resign mid last year [1]. The combined fallout from the security breach and the poor performance of Canadian stores was the reason for that. Coincidentally, I read earlier that Target US is doing better than expected, but I guess that's what a decent supply chain and good prices gets you. In any case this really sucks as I remember a bunch of the people on my uni campus going to Target when they were recruiting in my last year

A lot of retailers have been doing poorly here lately. @Richy is right, le Chateau, Mexx, Smartset and now Target and Sonystyle are all stores/brands who are shutting down in Canada. I know it's already hitting the REIT companies like Rio-Can (they owned a lot of the land Target stores were built on), and it's kind of odd to see malls like Yorkdale and Square One being built up so much even as all this is happening.

[1]: http://www.thestar.com/business/2014/05/05/target_ceo_resigns_after_security_breach_canadian_fiasco.html

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    finnith wrote: »

This isn't the place for corporate-related talk, but the Target CEO/President who sponsored the expansion up here actually did resign mid last year [1].
    [1]: http://www.thestar.com/business/2014/05/05/target_ceo_resigns_after_security_breach_canadian_fiasco.html
    After a troubled year that saw Canadian operations lose nearly $1 billion and a data breach that affected 40 million customers, the president and chief executive officer of Target stepped down on Monday.
    [...]
    According to company documents filed last year, Steinhafel was eligible for about $9.26 million (U.S.) if he left voluntarily.

I am heartbroken over his loss.

sig.gif
  • Options

This isn't the place for corporate-related talk, but the Target CEO/President who sponsored the expansion up here actually did resign mid last year [1].
    After a troubled year that saw Canadian operations lose nearly $1 billion and a data breach that affected 40 million customers, the president and chief executive officer of Target stepped down on Monday.
    [...]
    According to company documents filed last year, Steinhafel was eligible for about $9.26 million (U.S.) if he left voluntarily.

Also, you can pretty much bet that Target will find every loophole they can to avoid giving that 16 weeks severance to as many employees as they can.

• Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular

[...]

Also, you can pretty much bet that Target will find every loophole they can to avoid giving that 16 weeks severance to as many employees as they can.

His compensation is actually the highest amongst all retail execs per that article, which looks really bad in retrospect.

I don't know why they would try to find loopholes to avoid severance that they are voluntarily paying out. Unless I'm mistaken 16 weeks is far beyond whatever amount is set by law/regulations right?

My friends working at corporate and in retail at Target haven't really said anything about ethical issues at the company, and I would expect that the company would want to minimize any future poor PR, especially if it reminds shareholders/the public of the failure that was Target Canada.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Even worse is that Target isn't even putting up a sale in their stores. It's just business as usual till the doors close.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Well this only went down 3 days ago. It depends on how fast they're going to do all this. They're bound to do some form of liquidation before it's over.

But man, I wonder what they're going to do with the store in the mall down the road. They completely demolished the 1 story Zeller's to build this 2 story building. Structure wise it seems pretty similar to a Wal-Mart, but there's already one 3k away, plus there's a Thrifty Foods literally right next door. Only other stores that might make sense are a Canadian Tire or maybe London Drugs.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    In my town, Target's on the main commercial boulevard so they definitively can't argue than they failed because of location.

Wal Mart , Canadian Tire , Future Shop , Best Buy , Toys R US , The Bay and all grocery stores present in Québec have a location very close to Target. Wouldn't make sense for any of them to buy that land.

Perhaps a grocery chain that's not present in Québec could grab all those Target locations for a rapid expansion. Safeway?

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Man. There was a piece in the Saturday Star about the TMT telescope, alluding it to it being the next Avro Arrow cancellation. I couldn't even finish it.

Today, another piece about muzzling of Canadian scientists. Also couldn't finish it.

Barely could finish the piece on spousal PR sponsorship backlog, which ended with the Conservative government blaming the Liberal government for creating the backlog... NINE YEARS LATER.

I kinda hate Canada right now. :bigfrown:

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    The Liberals had put a nice dent in the spousal PR sponsorship backlog and things were speeding up noticeably around 2005-6. Nice try, Harper Govt.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    The next federal election cannot come soon enough.

488W936.png
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    The Liberals had put a nice dent in the spousal PR sponsorship backlog and things were speeding up noticeably around 2005-6. Nice try, Harper Govt.

It's the neo-con playbook.

Whenever anything bad happens, double down on your politics and blame the liberal boogeyman.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Oh, I know, but does that even work in (most of) Canada? Voters are already going, "these guys done been in power too long," and swinging righter or trying to scare people seems like a tactic that's going to backfire right now.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    Oh, I know, but does that even work in (most of) Canada? Voters are already going, "these guys done been in power too long," and swinging righter or trying to scare people seems like a tactic that's going to backfire right now.

We can dream.

I think it works for the True Believers but moderates can't be convinced by ideologues.

• Options
    Er, well, they shouldn't.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular

Mackayla Sault passed away from a stroke - she was the girl who had a form of cancer with a 75% chance of beating it with treatment, but went off chemo in favor of "traditional medicines". I guess the quotes pretty much says what I think of traditional medicine. Anyways, 'She had been receiving chemotherapy for acute lymphoblastic leukemia at McMaster Children’s Hospital in Hamilton when she decided to stop the treatment in the spring of 2014 after suffering severe side effects.

“Chemotherapy did irreversible damage to her heart and major organs. This was the cause of the stroke,” the family statement said. “We continue to support Makayla’s choice to leave chemotherapy. At this time we request privacy from the media while we mourn this tragic loss.”'

I wonder if the line about the chemo being the cause of the stroke is legit?

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Nosf wrote: »
    Mackayla Sault passed away from a stroke - she was the girl who had a form of cancer with a 75% chance of beating it with treatment, but went off chemo in favor of "traditional medicines". I guess the quotes pretty much says what I think of traditional medicine. Anyways, 'She had been receiving chemotherapy for acute lymphoblastic leukemia at McMaster Children’s Hospital in Hamilton when she decided to stop the treatment in the spring of 2014 after suffering severe side effects.

“Chemotherapy did irreversible damage to her heart and major organs. This was the cause of the stroke,” the family statement said. “We continue to support Makayla’s choice to leave chemotherapy. At this time we request privacy from the media while we mourn this tragic loss.”'

I wonder if the line about the chemo being the cause of the stroke is legit?

In general, no. Chemotherapy's primary risks are associated with organ failure of some sort. Essentially, chemotherapy is the controlled administration of cytotoxic poisons into the body; the idea is that since tumour cells reproduce much faster than normal cells, they will ingest more of the poison and die. Limiting the dosage and treatment duration of the chemotherapy is to prevent all your other cells from dying, though, for example, your hair follicle cells will all die since they also reproduce rapidly.

Strokes are generally caused by some sort of blood vessel. Occasionally through another sort of brain bleed or a clotting issue, but regardless, the mechanisms don't line up. Some chemotherapy drugs carry slightly higher risks of stroke, A quick Google search digs up this study:
    During this period, a total of 10,963 patients, with malignancies were followed-up for 1 month after chemotherapy, underwent 45,294 chemotherapy sessions. Among this group, there were 15 patients experiencing 16 ischemic strokes within the first month after the latest chemotherapy. Among them, 14 patients were followed-up until death and one patient was lost in follow-up after discharge against medical advice. The incidence of post-chemotherapy ischemic stroke was 0.137% and the frequency of chemotherapy cycles complicated by ischemic stroke was 0.035%. Adenocarcinoma was the most common histological type not only in ischemic stroke (40%) but also in overall patients (36.7%). The hemispheric stroke with middle cerebral artery territory involvement was the most common image finding. Platinum compounds, especially cisplatin, were the most commonly used chemotherapeutic agents for ischemic stroke patients. Twelve (75%) of these 16 ischemic strokes occurred within 10 days of the latest chemotherapy session and 10 (62.5%) occurred after the first cycle of chemotherapy. The median survival after ischemic stroke was 4 weeks.

TL:DR, the parents are idiots who don't know shit about science or medicine; their decision to pull Makayla from chemotherapy was essentially signing her death warrant; their failure to complete a treatment regimen and ensure proper post-treatment observation was negligence; and their attempt to frame the decision as the choice of a 11-year old girl is fucking reprehensible.

Edit: I should add that if it turns out that it was a stroke that was the cause of death, I will back off on that point, but I still will not concede that the proper decision was made. Chemotherapy is a prolonged treatment regimen that should always be completed to prevent relapse, and done so under medical supervision due to the risks involved. Furthermore, it wasn't too long ago that these dumb fucks were crowing about how healthy Mackayla was:
    Makayla Sault's leukemia has come back, according to testimony by McMaster Children's Hospital's Vicky Breakey....

Makayla's family declined to be interviewed, but in a video posted on Facebook on Saturday Makayla proclaimed, "I just want to let everyone know that I'm alive and well and that I am healed."

hippofant on
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    What a very sad story :(

My speculation and opinion is that the health resort in Florida[1] god damn scammed the girl and her ignorant guardians which resulted in her preventable death.

[1]http://www.cbc.ca/news/aboriginal/doctor-treating-first-nations-girls-says-cancer-patients-can-heal-themselves-1.2832760

They can't use sarcastic quotes in the link around "doctor" but if they could, they would.

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    What a very sad story :(

My speculation and opinion is that the health resort in Florida[1] god damn scammed the girl and her ignorant guardians which resulted in her preventable death.

[1]http://www.cbc.ca/news/aboriginal/doctor-treating-first-nations-girls-says-cancer-patients-can-heal-themselves-1.2832760

They can't use sarcastic quotes in the link around "doctor" but if they could, they would.

huh.
    According to the Florida State Health Authority, Hippocrates Health Institute is a licensed massage establishment and Brian Clement is not a licensed doctor or naturopath.

a very special kind of poopwizard.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular

Oh, that's a different girl, I think. There's two who refused treatment. I was under the impression the one who just died didn't go to florida, she was being dealt with by locals to Ontario. The other girl who hasn't been named went to Florida I think.

Nevermind, they both went down there. Wow. Look at that guy. I would expect him to try and sell me a nice car that was previously owned by a little old lady who spent most of her time in Florida, while the car was in storage.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    So this is fun and happening here in BC, was even one of these campaigns the other day in Penticton. Clark fast climbing that top ten list of politicians up here that boil my blood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOLOI7832KE

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Even worse is that Target isn't even putting up a sale in their stores. It's just business as usual till the doors close.

I have a friend that works at target, and people were getting heated with the employees over there not being a sale yet within hours of the announcement.

Sure, Sears had some pretty deep sales within the last few weeks, but it's not like they're abandoning the stores Feb 1st or something.

A glance at Google indicates that liquidation sales might begin in 2-3 weeks.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Forar wrote: »
    DanHibiki wrote: »

I have a friend that works at target, and people were getting heated with the employees over there not being a sale yet within hours of the announcement.

Sure, Sears had some pretty deep sales within the last few weeks, but it's not like they're abandoning the stores Feb 1st or something.

A glance at Google indicates that liquidation sales might begin in 2-3 weeks.

Some people are stupid.

On the other hand, I'm eagerly awaiting the sale to buy a discount breadmaker for my mom and ice-cream maker for myself. I always regretted not getting an ice-cream maker during the Zellers sale.

sig.gif
  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    ikkw1welvts6i42zqlzg.jpg

Canada!!!

(Miss Universe national costume competition)

I spat out my drink.

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    The score is 20-14?? What is this, a football game or the NHL in the 80's?

• Options
    How is it that I have never heard of this before:
    https://ca.news.yahoo.com/bikers-versus-hikers--b-c--s-war-of-the-woods-195024583.html

I mean, the pipe bomb is straight up terrorism. The rest of it reckless disregard. And the seniors group is defending the woman who was attempting to maim cyclists as 'defending herself'.

Basically, what the ever-loving fuck?

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    How is it that I have never heard of this before:
    https://ca.news.yahoo.com/bikers-versus-hikers--b-c--s-war-of-the-woods-195024583.html

I mean, the pipe bomb is straight up terrorism. The rest of it reckless disregard. And the seniors group is defending the woman who was attempting to maim cyclists as 'defending herself'.

Basically, what the ever-loving fuck?

What the fucking what?

There's a fucking guerilla war going on in BC over hiking trails? The fuck is wrong with people?