As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Canadian Politics: The North shall rise again?

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Oh, don't worry, Richie. There's still plenty of time for people to fly into an irrational panic and throw away at least a couple of their rights.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular

guessing flying to the states is going to be even more hellish now.

• Options
    Oh CNN.

Never stop being you.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    Oh CNN.

Please stop being you.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Oh CNN.

Never stop being you.

They're racing Fox News to the bottom. And only losing by virtue of correctly finding Canada on a map.

sig.gif
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Fox News: Terrible news from Canada's capitol Toronto..."

• Options
    Man, CNN is so worse than Fox on so many levels. At least Fox has a clear ideological position that steers their editorial direction (and they have Shep Smith); CNN is just vapid nonsense. 'Here is a talking head! Here is another talking head! Boy howdy, that was sure news; now let's go to the situation room where we have Wolf Blitzer on stand by to look really smart!'

And then people actually take CNN seriously, because it's the 'objective' news center.

:|

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Wolf Blitzer, the guy who went into Final Jeopardy! on Celebrity Jeopardy! in the hole.

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Comparing, say, CBC and CNN's coverage of these events was night and day.
    Covering the opening of parliament today, CNN cut away from Tom Mulcair's opening statement to... speculate baselessly about future terrorist plots and how we should all be terrified and on edge. They're also focusing way, way too much on the perpetrator.

I already appreciated CBC as a news source, and their handling of the past few days has really reinforced that.

Edit: CNN literally has an article on their front page right now about Ottawa titled "What We Know... And Don't Know..."
    It's exactly what you would expect from them.
    *Sigh*

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Comparing, say, CBC and CNN's coverage of these events was night and day.
    Covering the opening of parliament today, CNN cut away from Tom Mulcair's opening statement to... speculate baselessly about future terrorist plots and how we should all be terrified and on edge. They're also focusing way, way too much on the perpetrator.

I already appreciated CBC as a news source, and their handling of the past few days has really reinforced that.

Unfortunately, the Toronto Star lead with a headline: "UNDER SIEGE", and then follows up with Rosie DiManno on page 2: "No haven from the vortex of violence".

(Does anybody else here hate Rosie DiManno with the raging passion that I do?)

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Invectivus wrote: »
    It's events like this that cheese me off. We get one incident, everyone freaks out and makes knee-jerk reactions and laws to protect our security. How did we get put on ISIS's radar? By bombing their advances in Iraq. We shouldn't have gotten involved in that fight, nor should we have intervened in Libya during their civil war. We should have provided humanitarian aid as a third party to both sides, while trying to reach a peaceful resolution to their conflict. That's what Canada's identity is; not dropping bombs and backing rebellions.

Dude, you are wrong on so many levels. Violence should always be the final solution but should always be on the table. So by your logic, should we have setup med tents for the Nazis? Maybe general pinochet could have used our help with wounded.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »

(Does anybody else here hate Rosie DiManno with the raging passion that I do?)

oh god, yes.

almost as bad is margaret wente in the globe and mail. not as bad, but still bad.

• Options
    ...My mother has spent the afternoon obsessing over how we should all totally be worried about Remembrance Day. Like she's convinced it's going to just be a bloodbath somewhere.

I finally lost my patience and, against my own better judgement, asked her to count how many radicals have made good on the threats made weeks ago to avenge the fascist cause in Iraq & Syria.

Apparently the fact that only two extremists have popped-up is proof that something big is going to happen. The rest of them are just waiting and watching for the right moment to pounce, you see.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    InvectivusInvectivus Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »
    Invectivus wrote: »
    It's events like this that cheese me off. We get one incident, everyone freaks out and makes knee-jerk reactions and laws to protect our security. How did we get put on ISIS's radar? By bombing their advances in Iraq. We shouldn't have gotten involved in that fight, nor should we have intervened in Libya during their civil war. We should have provided humanitarian aid as a third party to both sides, while trying to reach a peaceful resolution to their conflict. That's what Canada's identity is; not dropping bombs and backing rebellions.

Dude, you are wrong on so many levels. Violence should always be the final solution but should always be on the table. So by your logic, should we have setup med tents for the Nazis? Maybe general pinochet could have used our help with wounded.

Where in my post did I mention ANYTHING about Nazi's, Nazi Germany, or Augusto Pinochet. Those were entirely different situations then what we currently are embroiled in. The point that I was making, was that instead of blindly joining the UN in bombing the crap out of Gahddafi, we should have tried the peacekeeping/diplomacy route. Sat down with both sides and tried to diffuse the situation, but no, we (as in UN et all) thought that arming the rebels (who we didn't know much about) and using smart bombs and jets to take out Libya's military equipment and allowed the "freedom fighters" to have their new country. We basically gave them a gun and said "Go Nuts". Now look where Libya is. And Iraq. And Syria.

We've seen throughout history that violence is usually the go-to solution, and look how that turns out. Maybe we should have tried a new approach. Yes, people would have died, but we could have minimized the bloodshed, while showing compassion and creating a situation of understanding between the two sides.

• Options
    One of my friends shared this on his FB:

540389_375318012627063_8694756150455378346_n_zpsf4271f80.jpg

sig.gif
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    is that... advocating for vigilante justice?

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    Enjoyed a political cartoon; thought I'd share.

The Halifax Chronicle Herald really does seem to have the best political cartoonists around.

• Options

I think it's advocating that we're a goddamn strong nation. Like Batman.

sig.gif
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »

I think it's advocating that we're a goddamn strong nation. Like Batman.

We may also be covered in delicious marshmallow fluff.

• Options
    InvectivusInvectivus Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    And taste like candy canes

Invectivus on
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I recently stumbled across this, thought I would share the link to the image.

Sergeant-At-Arms Kevin Vickers

Seriously though, as much as I am enjoying this status lauded upon Kevin Vickers, I would like to know more about the people who rushed in to help out Cpl. Nathan Cirillo and the security guard who tried to wrestle the rifle away from the assailant. The Sgt wasn't alone and shouldn't be alone in the applause.

Edit: Whoops, link went bad apparently, I'll try to find another source. Edit2: Sorry this isn't as well sized up as the last one. Edit3:Ahh, there we go.

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular

Seriously though, as much as I am enjoying this status lauded upon Kevin Vickers, I would like to know more about the people who rushed in to help out Cpl. Nathan Cirillo and the security guard who tried to wrestle the rifle away from the assailant. The Sgt wasn't alone and shouldn't be alone in the applause.

Have you read this article? 'You are so loved': Ottawa lawyer describes trying to save Cpl. Nathan Cirillo

I teared up a bit, I must admit.

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    Thank you.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SilverWind wrote: »

Have you read this article? 'You are so loved': Ottawa lawyer describes trying to save Cpl. Nathan Cirillo

...I'm trained in First Aid (though my training is way lolz outdated), and haven't heard about elevating legs / feet.

What's that meant to accomplish?

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

...I'm trained in First Aid (though my training is way lolz outdated), and haven't heard about elevating legs / feet.

I believe it's reducing blood flow to less vital areas. And away from the injury if it's present there.

• Options

I believe it's reducing blood flow to less vital areas. And away from the injury if it's present there.

Just got mine updated. It's usually only done when you have more then one first responder. It's amazing that everyone that helped had some training and knew what to do.

• Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    I did ear about elevating legs during my own training, altough I never actually had to use it so I'm far from certain I would had tought of doing that had I been they're.

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    Well, turns out the evidence isn't supporting that this guy is connected to IS. This is coming from John Baird.

Also, PM hid in a cupboard.

Source - BBC.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Well, turns out the evidence isn't supporting that this guy is connected to IS. This is coming from John Baird.

Also, PM hid in a cupboard.

Source - BBC.

I am not a harper fan but why are people being hard on him for this? I'm seeing it implied that this was some form of cowardice. The RCMP told him to stay there and he did... This seems pretty reasonable, no?

• Options
    edited October 2014
    I'd have hid in a cupboard too. Fuck getting shot-up.

I'm also glad our PM stayed safe, because even though he is an awful person, fucking shooting people is not the right answer & this is not what I want in politics (i doubt anyone does).

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Did I say it was a criticism? I was just presenting a quick TL:DR from the article which I found interesting and wanted to share.

Besides, as you can see, I spent more words on the main thrust of the article, turns out this guy wasn't linked to IS according to the evidence they have gathered. Thought the thread might be interested in things like that, I know I found it interesting considering the anti-Islamic conversations I have had to endure lately with puffed shirts that you probably don't want to hear the details of.

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    Glad to see people are able to put aside partisanship in a time like this :)

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    From what I heard on CTV, the shooter had a criminal record for petty crimes and drug use. A few years back he had notably robbed a McDonald's in order to deliberately get arrested so he could kick his coke addiction in jail. He was staying at a homeless shelter in Ottawa before the shooting. It had been five years since he had been in contact with his parents.

So, the guy was clearly not all there mentally. Which made him a prime target for brainwashing and radicalization. The solution would be a large investment in our mental healthcare system, to catch people like that, get them off the streets and away from negative influences, and into care homes with the professionals who can get them back on their feet.

Or, you know, just change laws to increase police powers and make it easier to throw people in jail and call it a day.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Did I say it was a criticism? I was just presenting a quick TL:DR from the article which I found interesting and wanted to share.

Besides, as you can see, I spent more words on the main thrust of the article, turns out this guy wasn't linked to IS according to the evidence they have gathered. Thought the thread might be interested in things like that, I know I found it interesting considering the anti-Islamic conversations I have had to endure lately with puffed shirts that you probably don't want to hear the details of.

Not saying you implied it at all!

The tone of some of the articles I have read about it had a derogatory tone to them.

• Options
    Just curious, could the editorial tone of articles be indicative of how media outside Canada feels about Harper and/or Canada? Or would that be reading too much into it?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    From what I heard on CTV, the shooter had a criminal record for petty crimes and drug use. A few years back he had notably robbed a McDonald's in order to deliberately get arrested so he could kick his coke addiction in jail. He was staying at a homeless shelter in Ottawa before the shooting. It had been five years since he had been in contact with his parents.

So, the guy was clearly not all there mentally. Which made him a prime target for brainwashing and radicalization. The solution would be a large investment in our mental healthcare system, to catch people like that, get them off the streets and away from negative influences, and into care homes with the professionals who can get them back on their feet.

Or, you know, just change laws to increase police powers and make it easier to throw people in jail and call it a day.

Goodness, I loathe the word terrorism and I feel it's use in what happened in Ottawa this week is unbelievably inappropriate. It is such a politically charged word that is designed to shut down dissent. I really hope we back down from the hyperbole going around ever since this has happened. I was very pleased with the level-headedness and constraint being shown in our newscasts compared to what was going on down in the US. What happened in Ottawa was absolutely tragic and unfortunate, but it was an outlier. Playing the significance of the event up to pass legislation that will likely harm more people than it helps is not good governance.

• Options

We can't take that risk, Richy.

We can't let the terrorists win.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular

We can't take that risk, Richy.

We can't let the terrorists win.

Like seriously, what the hell is this quote doing coming from the higher ups at the RCMP?
    In a news conference yesterday, RCMP Commissioner Bob Paulson noted the police currently cannot charge anyone who has yet to commit a crime, and suggested there needs to be a change.

Paraphrasing it: "The RCMP currently can't just arrest whoever we want for no reason whatsoever. WE NEED TO FIX THIS!!!!!!"

There is no amount of [head desk] appropriate.

• Options
    Man, that article.
    "The challenges are the thresholds — the thresholds that will allow either preventive arrest, or charges that lead to sentences, or more simple operations," Blaney said in French. "So what the prime minister has asked is for us to review in an accelerated manner the different mechanisms that are offered to police to ensure everyone's security."

In a subsequent interview with CBC News, he said the measures recently introduced in anti-terrorism legislation don't go far enough.

"When we tabled the Combating Terrorism Act, we activated some capability for our law enforcement to do some [preventive arrests]" he told the program Power & Politics in an interview to air Friday.

"What we are realizing now is there are some thresholds that would need adjustment so that it is more practical and more functional to intervene."

Nope. Fucking nope.

'Pre-emptive arrest' means 'arresting someone who has not actually committed a crime'. Sorry, but I don't trust the state to start guessing about who is or isn't a TERRORIST! and tossing them in jail without due process.

I don't want my rights thrown in the Goddamn garbage because two people were killed.

With Love and Courage