As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

On beards and dry skin

Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
edited January 2013 in Help / Advice Forum
So i grew a beard for the winter, and damned if it doesn't look like it's snowing down the front of my shirt at all times. to be honest, my skin is pretty dry all over, but that's the only place it's really noticeable. i can't really put lotion in my beard to get to the skin underneath, or it will look like i fell asleep scarfing mayonnaise or something. Does anyone else have this issue? are there any remedies out there?

My beard is not long at all, i usually keep it trimmed to 1/2" long or shorter. i use clippers to trim it, and usually that is when it is the worst.

Dr. Frenchenstein on

• curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    hair is hair, whether it's on your scalp or on your face.

thus, it needs care. some conditioner, rubbed in on a semi-daily basis, should help. alternately you could try a clear moisturizer like aloe vera gel.

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    I shampoo my beard every other time I shampoo my hair, with head and shoulders. It keeps the dandruff down and also helps keep the beard soft

• PantshandshakePantshandshake Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    I shampoo my beard every other time I shampoo my hair, with head and shoulders. It keeps the dandruff down and also helps keep the beard soft

This. I use head and shoulders shampoo plus conditioner on my beard every morning.

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    I conditioner it in the winter, summer isn't bad. I searched high and low for a comb to run through it and scratch up the skin underneath. Ever had a beard and shaved it off after a few months? It gets pretty fucked up under that hair, man. Oddly enough beard skin is ok so far this winter, it's the rest of my face that's trying to make me look like a meth addict.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Shampoo will dry your skin out if you over use it, stick to conditioner or lotion. Every 3 days is usually the standard for shampooing your hair. I'd stick to the same with beards, perhaps doing it a bit less.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Don't overlook combing/brushing it too. I had a pretty sizeable beard last winter and I would brush it every day. Seemed to help with the flakeys. I also got some mad volume out of it.

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    You can brush up, against the uh, flow for some comedy value too. My wife loves that. Which is to say, she hates it and throws things at me. Heavier things if I do my eyebrows too and look like a mentat. Also, feels good. Ever see a dog make that weird face when you scratch them in just the right spot? Yeah, it's awesome like that.

• MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    Your problem is pretty common if the beard is new. The hair absorbs more of the natural oils so there isn't enough for the skin. There's also the problem with removal of dead skin. On uncovered areas it just falls off when you scratch yourself or shower but on your cheek now it get stuck in the hair.

I used to have similar problems but what I do now works pretty well. I wash every evening and morning with a decent facewash, then I use the thinnest body lotion I could find on my beard (some body milk I just steal from my girlfriend, I can't remember the name even though I've been using it for years). Since it's thin it reaches down to the skin when I rub it in and it doesn't look greasy in the hair. Then I use my normal thicker face moisturizer on the rest of my face.

• Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    i'll try the shampooing every few days, and condition as well. i did the shampoo/conditioner this morning, and no flakeys that i've noticed. thanks guys!